GT Peace 9r 29er Hardtail

4.37/5 (43 Reviews)

• Crankset: TruVativ Blaze
  • Pedals: Alloy Cage w/ Alloy Body
  • Bottom Bracket: TruVativ Howitzer M-15
  • Chain: KMC Z610HX, 1/2 x 1/8"
  • Seatpost: 3-D Cold Forged Micro Adjust
  • Saddle: WTB Laser V Race
  • Handlebar: Truvativ XR riser
  • Hubs: Alloy Disc QR
  • Rims: WTB Dual Duty FR, 32-hole
  • Tires: 29 x 2.30" WTB ExiWolf

Submitted by Tyrone

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2014

Strengths:    Geometry

Weaknesses:    Weight, especially in the wheels

Bottom Line:
This is for the 2006 V brake version (white)

Bought this 2nd hand from the big online auction site.

Weighed it when it arrived, and was surprised to find it was nearing 28 lbs in stock congiguration ! (medium)

Took it out and rode it (a lot) , and didn't really notice the weight. Well, not that much. On long fire road climbs, the weight combined with the 32-18 stock gearing about killed me. But on buff rolling single track ? Watch out. The things a rocket ship that loves the rollies.

I also admire the typical GT handling (rear end likes to slide, controllably) , and a incredibly smooth ride. Smoother than my 26" wheeled hard tails by far.

I ditched the stock wheelset, tires, cranks and BB, and got'er lightened up to a hair over 25 lbs. Let me tell you, if I had to keep one bike, this would probably be the bike to keep.

Submitted by Mike Stopford

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2012

Strengths:    Great handling and fun to ride

Weaknesses:    None at this price

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike. Bought secondhand a couple years ago as second bike and to try single speed experience .Quickly became my favourite bike. Rode it stock for over a year and have had more fun while improving my fitness. Now the Peace 9er is my only bike and running quality parts that I took off the Niner I wasnt using much. Now even more fun with front suspension.

Get a single speed. Better still, get a Peace 9er if you can find one.

Submitted by dfw2000 a Cross Country Rider from Tulsa, OK USA

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2012

Strengths:    Simple, comfortable steal frame. Not much to go wrong with this bike. Easy to use and maintain. Fun to ride, quiet and allows me to be in the moment instead of always working the gears. Have not had any problems with horizontal dropouts, recommend the Surly 15mm wrench for on trail maintenance. Have not had any problems with wheels, chain, spokes. Frame appears that it will last forever.

Weaknesses:    Heavy at 30 pounds stock. WTB AM Laser Disk wheels on a single speed seem over engineered for the application. Only has one water bottle cage, evidence of cutting corners to contain cost. Tektro brakes are adequate but difficult to dial in, will upgrade at the appropriate time.

Bottom Line:
For less than $600 can't beat this bike--fun to ride, durable, simple and easy to maintain. Has become my default choice over the Kona Hei-Hei 29 and Giant XTC 26. The super comfortable size large fits me at 5'11 perfectly. I have a 32" inseam and a relatively long torso. I think this bike would great for 4 to 6 hour ride. Yes, it's a little bit heavy, the wheel set probably belongs on a different style of bike but the heart of the bike, the frame, is excellent and worth building around. Too bad these were discontinued, if you see one used well worth considering.

Favorite Trail:   Turkey Mountain, LoVIT, Womble

Similar Products Used:   Have ridden a Gary Fisher Rig, seems very brittle and twitchy compared to the Peace

Bike Setup:   Replaced Kenda Nevegals with Stan's and Maxxis Ignitors, lost two pounds and wheels spin up much more easily and feel more lively. Replaced stock rigid fork with Rockshox Reba, no much of a weight penalty.

Submitted by SS9r a Weekend Warrior from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2011

Strengths:    SS, simple, reliable.

Weaknesses:    Those bloody chain tensioners. Seriously.

The stock GT stem. Replace it before your bike goes into auto-steer mode. Something is wrong with the steerer clamp screws/threads.

The top tube could use a 3rd cable guide to help stop rear brake line rattle. I had to tape the cable where I thought the guide should go. All better now.

The Howitzer BB and CS's look like the only combination that gives this frame the clearance it needs. The CS radius is short near the shell for anything more than 34t.

Bottom Line:
A fun simple bike, handles well, strong frame does XC with ease. This rigid frame will make you ride with soft hands or it'll make you wish you had. The long wheelbase understeers when you stay in the saddle. Stand and lean the bike and it'll rail corners for you. I lowered the stem/riser to have a more aggressive stance and lively feel. I'm long waisted, so the long ETT length allows me on stand on climbs, stay centered over the BB and mash. Descents usually have me passing everyone. Just let the front end find the line and the rest of the bike flows. I started with the stock 32/18 and lately use 33/16. The saddle is just an option for me now because I'm standing 99% of the time. Replacing components got this bike down to 22 lbs. I now have a lighter, tough and simple, stealthy singletrack screamer that's ready for my hard (almost abusive) riding style/racing. I could have purchased a more expensive bike and I'm glad I didn't. I doubt I'll ever put a suspension fork on this frame. The cheapness/value factor of the Peace 9r SS lets me ride without the guilt that I might actually hurt it or break a component. If you can find a GT Peace 9r SS frame in good shape, get it.

Favorite Trail:   whatever I'm riding at the time

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   My first SS

Bike Setup:   Stock Medium frame and Truvativ Howitzer DH crankset. My mods: Stan's ZTR Arch's w/ 3.30 hubs, Specialized Renegade 1.95's, White Industries Rock Solid Carbon fork, King headset, Avid Juicy 3 Brakes, Ashima 160mm Airrotors, Crank Brothers Cobalt 610mm riser and EB pedals, Surly chainrings/cogs, SRAM PC850 chain, Easton EC70 seatpost, Salsa clamp, Ergon grips.

Submitted by mojoman a Racer from Ann Arbor MI

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2011

Strengths:    Strong nice tripple triangle

Weaknesses:    The sliding drop out design sucks, I've seen some say it has a EBB but mine is a 2010 with a sideing dropout. the set screws are designed so they only hit half of the bolt. So when it is too tight it bends the set screw.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike as a second bike to my FSR 29er, compleatly opposite. I like this bike for the heavy duty steel design, single speed fun, simplicity of use. But the design of the drop outs is a killer for me. Didn't GT put any R&D into this, it is just stupid. I have found some aftermarket chain tugs that may work but it shouldn't need this. Great value for the price but rating is low because it is so so heavy and the dropout design.

Favorite Trail:   anything rocky rooty

Purchased At:   used eBay

Similar Products Used:   Niner MCR, Motobecain SS

Bike Setup:   BB7, the rest is all stock

Submitted by UBUgoat a Racer from Media, PA

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2011

Strengths:    rolls over everything, it's steel, singlespeed, 29er, makes you a stronger rider, comes with free ss kool-aid packet and implant

Weaknesses:    brakes. esp the rear one. completely fried after barely any use (that's Tektro, not GT); good ole grippy but sluggish Nevegals; WTB all mountain rims go out of true easily...but then i have pounded them and who needs a 'true' wheel amongst untrue rock gardens?

Bottom Line:
great bike...it changed my life...feel sorry for my Giant full sus 26er....once it had some issues, i made a switch to the GT and raced my cat 3 class on it...got 2nd...another race against the geared guys, 2nd place again (with the 18t cog!)....then a good end to the season 5th place with the 20t cog.

a very strong and forgiving frame that survived French Creek, Bear Creek, Coal Cracker....steel is reel to real.

Favorite Trail:   French Creek, Brandywine

Purchased At:   nashbar

Similar Products Used:   nothing even remotely close

Bike Setup:   modified drop-bar ends...nashbar featherweight time trial saddle, 18t cog replaced with a Surly 20t

Submitted by cradtke a Cross Country Rider from marathon wi us

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2011

Strengths:    Nice overall mountain bike for price.

Weaknesses:    Wheels could have 14 gauge spokes instead of 15 for my weight.

Bottom Line:
Replaced the gt frame with $850 Niner mcr frame. Bike only lost 1 lb. Large frame is under 6 lbs. Excellent value for the $520 for the whole bike.

Favorite Trail:   underdown merrill wi

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Gt Avalanche, Trek 7000, Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn s9.5, Gt IDXC 3.0, Raleigh xxix ss, Niner Mcr.

Bike Setup:   Built bike up to xc/all mountain use. XTR rear der, Slx crank and front der, Sun charger wheels, wtb prowler tires, avid bb7 brakes, truvativ stylo bars, stem, seatpost, specialized saddle, shimano clipless pedals.

Submitted by socal_jack a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2011

Strengths:    This is for the SS version 2009. Just a fun simple bike, handles well, strong,

Weaknesses:    Geared a bit tall 32/18 from factory, Easton handlebars a bit narrow for SS use 635mm. Stock pedals were crap.

Bottom Line:
Got the bike on final Nashbar close-out, couldn't beat the price.

Been really fun to ride trails I've been doing with a RIP9 for 6 months, re-discovering some riding skills that an FS can make you a bit lazy on like uphill thru rock gardens.

Outside of an initial Wiegel frame saver treatment, there's not much to go wrong, mech discs are adequate and simple, Nevegal tires give good hookup, fill keep them aired right and go ride.

Favorite Trail:   All

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Bike Setup:   Swapped to some wider Tru-Vativ handlebars had laying around more in the 680mm range, re-geared to 32/22, used half link chain to pull CS to 17.25. Swapped pedals for Performance/Forte convert pedals.

Submitted by Sundogdrums a Cross Country Rider from Freeport, ME

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2011

Strengths:    With the low approach it tractors over anything. Big ring clearance over fat logs and rocks. Beach cruiser tires stay on top of sand and snow.

Weaknesses:    Larger turning radius.

Bottom Line:
This bike is not the fastest (but neither am I) or the tightest on the twisties. However, these monster-wide handlebars give me a lot of pickup and the Wolverines grip to let me crank out of the spring moss and leaves. I won't be launching this tank, but I can stand over some big logs and get up and over some big rocks. Going back to rigid would be worse if not for the big tires. I'm 6' 0" and the large frame is just at the top end of comfortable for me. The riser and the top tube length put me at a somewhat less aggressive stance than I've had before- takes a lot of pressure off the jewels and gives waay better visibility. At the price, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Favorite Trail:   Anything between SF and Santa Cruz

Purchased At:   Allspeed, Portland,

Similar Products Used:   GT LTS (ancient history), Bontrager Privateer, Huffy circa 1988! (commuter...)

Bike Setup:   GT Peace 9 Multi out of the box

Submitted by Vacationite a Cross Country Rider from boulder creek,ca

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2011

Strengths:    cheap,solid,well-designed

Weaknesses:    heavy

Bottom Line:
Great ride,Great frame,components heavy but will be replaced at my discretion.
I feel really fast downhill and it climbs great,though I can feel the wheel weight,having ridden a 26er with v-brakes and ultra-light wheels and tires.Am going to upgrade to lighter wheels soon and possibly a Niner carbon fork.I think the frame alone is worth more than what I paid for this bike.

Favorite Trail:   lewis river

Purchased At:   nashbar

Bike Setup:   carbon bars,riser stem,otherwise stock

Submitted by Arider a Cross Country Rider from Reno, NV, USA

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2011

Strengths:    Bargain solid, simple 29er mtn bike with mechanical disc brakes.

Weaknesses:    At this price ... what?

Bottom Line:
Wanted to try a 29er and what a surprise ... I really, really like this bike for everything. I'm 5'11" and I bought a large size frame. It fits me perfectly. All the advantages of a 29er are really apparent.

I've drunk the cool-aid ... now I want to replace my 2009 carbon Rush with a 29er. It looks like this bike may be more expensive than I thought.

Favorite Trail:   They're all good ...

Purchased At:   ediscountbike.com

Similar Products Used:   Replacement for winter/cruiser 1984 Univega Alpina Uno mtn bike. On my third-generation Cannondale full-suspension cross-country bike.

Bike Setup:   2009 GT Peace 9r Multi 29er Bike. eDiscount Bikes replaced shipping damaged OEM fork with Black Ops carbon fork at no cost! Retrofitted to Stan's tubless. Crankbros egg-beater pedals.

Submitted by dougovito a Weekend Warrior from denver, co

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2011

Strengths:    decent components, fits me well, super fun bike

Weaknesses:    maybe a little heavy, 160mm brakes

Bottom Line:
well, owned less than a month, only a few rides on it.
feels great, i can stand up and mash with no wheel slippage. handles a little slower than my 26" FSR XC, but getting used to it.
the stock tires (WTB Wolverine 2.2) are impressive. I hit a few sections of mud and they loaded up fast, but hardpack was fine.

The gearing feels just a little high, but instead of changing gearing, I'll just ride more. if you like killing yourself up hills, it should be fine. (32-18)

I wouldn't want it as my only bike (SS, rigid) but it's a great bike to have to change up your favorite trail.

Very good bike for the money. steel frame, so it'll last some years, SS/rigid so little to no maintenance. Super fun to ride.

Favorite Trail:   Alderfer 3-Sisters

Purchased At:   nashbar.com

Similar Products Used:   this is my 1st 29er

Bike Setup:   stock except: avid bb7s 180mm, odi rogue lock-ons, shimano M520 pedals, selle italia C2 saddle

Submitted by zombies8mybrain a Cross Country Rider from Portland, OR

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2011

Strengths:    solid, good components for the price, nice rims, good tires, very strong quality chromoly steel frame, good geometry,

Weaknesses:    standover height is much higher than claimed specs

Bottom Line:
This is great bike with only one weakness, the standover height is much higher than stated by GT. If you're looking for something with a 28" or lower standover, this is NOT it, no matter what the literature says

.The claimed standover height for the small was 26.69 inches. The only place where the top tube is less than 27" from ground level is behind the bottom bracket and below the nose of the seat (even with the seat slammed all the way back as far as it goes).

The true standover of the small is closer to 29" when measured (as GT claims to measure it) "from the horizontal center point of the top tube to level ground." The rest of the measurements match the specs perfectly.

The frame is quite long, which works for me because I have a long torso, although GT makes up for this somewhat with a short stem.

There is absolutely no overlap whatsoever between my toes and the front wheel even though I have quite large feet.

Favorite Trail:   the one I'm on

Purchased At:   JoyRide

Bike Setup:   all stock 2010 model
size: small
color: brown

Submitted by nitecrwlr a Weekend Warrior from Arvada, CO

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2011

Strengths:    Simplistic
29er
Single Speed

Weaknesses:    Toe Overlap makes bike unrideable.

Bottom Line:
Great potential for this bike but the toe overlap with the front wheel is a deal breaker. I'm really dissapointed that this problem wasn't addressed in any of the reviews. Now I have a bike that I can't ride or sell. I'll never purchase another bike again unless i've ridden it. I installed SPDs and adjusted the cleats all the way back. Picture of toe overlap here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisarellano/5378688646/

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Wanted something completely different. First time riding 29er or Single Speed.

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by wvucrna a Cross Country Rider from midlothian, va

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2010

Strengths:    Simplicity
Geometry

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
Cracked my Marin on Halloween didn't want to tune up my 10 year old Schwinn Moab. So wanted to go a different direction so picked up the Peace 9er. What a pleasant surprise. Thought the ride would be much harsher. A bit tough on the hands but worth the pain. Rolls a bit slow but you want a good workout with a ss right. Totally worth the 400 bucks.

Favorite Trail:   buttermilk/forest hill