Gravity Bikes 29Point5 29er Hardtail

4.2/5 (5 Reviews)

The 30 Speed Gravity 29Point5 is specified with competition-ready components and has geometry based on careful research and trail-testing. Extremely capable with long travel Rockshox Reba 29 RL with lockout. The 29Point5 adds to those race winning specs; a smooth shifting FSA crank, CaneCreek headset, sweet shifting SRAM X9 rear derailleur with WTB Disc Wheelset and truly amazing Avid Hydraulic Disc Brake system. Disc Brakes are rated by magazines as the best – Way better than v-brake systems and more powerful. This bike is lighter than most any other bike in its price range and has much higher level parts.

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2013

Strengths:    Price!
Excellent components
Front Shock
Looks

Weaknesses:    Wheels
Tubes
Handle Bar (two short)

Bottom Line:
I reviewed ever known bike brand to include all the bikes on the bikesdirect.com website. I am a road cyclist by trade but was planning for a trip to moab, Utah and therefore needed a capable bike without breaking the bank. My price point was $1000. I decided on the Gravity 29Point4. I wanted the point 5 but they were sold out.

I received the bike less than a week later and despite the derailleur hanger needing to be slightly bent back to shape, the condition of the bike was flawless. I was able to put it all together and got it working fine with only minor adjustments. If you plan to tackle this yourself, ensure you check all the bolts to ensure they are tight.

I immediately replaced the tubes with Prestas. The ones were crap. I also replaced the stem and bars just because the stem was too long and the bar way to narrow. Oh, and replaced the seat. Very cheap upgrades.

So, I tested her out in Moab on some of the most technical and punishing trails around. All in all, I was impressed. Granted, I am a mountain bike novice, but going down some crazy decent and up 1000' in places, the bike never let me down. After 32 miles, I did not puncture a tire, and nothing ever came loose. I were surprised that the less-than-perfect wheels took the abuse.

So in short, don't let people tell you that these "generic" bikes are unable to compete against the big manufacturers. For under $900 there is not another bike that comes close for the value... You are saving at least $500 to $800 by buying this bike. I am so happy for the choice I made.

Favorite Trail:   Jackson Hole-Hurrah Pass, Moab, UT

Duration Product Used:   2 weeks-32 miles

Purchased At:   Bikesdirect.com

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale F800
Trek Rockhopper

Bike Setup:   Stock with Easton stem and bars. Proform seat.

Submitted by Will Smith

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2013

Strengths:    For the money you get a lot of bike. Came with tora rock shox, sram x7 components, juicy 3 disc brakes! Rides awesomefor under $2000.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I have been riding it for over a year now and it has performed perfect. When I was trying to decide which bike to buy I thought I was going to have to spend around $1500 to get the set up I wanted after shopping around. Then I came across bikes direct and found the gravity point 3. I actually got a super great deal from the partner company of bikes direct called bike island that had a gravity point 3 loaded for $650. I took it to sun and ski sports to get it tuned up. I am so happy I gave this bike a try. If you want the most for your money this is a great choice.

Submitted by Patrick, XC rider in MI a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2013

Strengths:    Good quality components, Weight, 29" wheels, Avid hydraulic disc brakes, Ride

Weaknesses:    Setup and Fit

Bottom Line:
Review is for the Gravity 29point3

PURCHASE AND BUILD
Purchased beginning of March anticipating an early spring and had my hopes totally dashed. Snowed this morning (1st of April and thats no joke) Spent more time unpacking it then it took to put it together. Very easy assembly. Quality of components was apparent. Nothing was damaged from shipping and the frame was in perfect condition with no scratches or bends. Brakes were dialed in perfect but the front and rear deraillers needed some tweaking. Also, both tires have slow leaks and go soft after a week. Overall, Im pretty happy with the purchase experience

The big caveat is fit and setup. If youre not mechanically inclined or dont know anything about bikes, you should buy your first bike from your LBS. You could buy one of these bikes and have your LBS assemble and setup the bike for you also. I had trouble adjusting those derailluers, but Youtube helped quite a bit. The other issue was fit. Im right between the 17.5" and 19" frames sizes. 6' tall but 31.5" inseam. I opted for the 17.5" frame going on the assumption that slightly smaller is better for a mountain bike and my last bike was just a little too big. I didnt get to ride it much for a couple weeks due to snow and such, but once I put some miles under the wheels I realized the 17.5" was a little to small for me and I had thrown out the box weeks ago. I started to wonder how to send it back, but a trip to the LBS and longer stem fixed the problem. This is the big danger with ordering a bike online!

RIDE: (VERY Preliminary) 25 dirt road miles and 4 on an actual trails and I have to say WOW! This bike kicks @ss! 30 speeds, so it climbs like a monster and has really long legs when on the rails to trails (Polly-Ann for instance). A gear for all occasions! I love the 29" wheels. The brakes are super aggressive and can be easily feathered with my index finger, the shock is much smooooother than the suntour xct on my Diamondback Response and the Sram X7's shift like butter. This thing is an incredibly responsive, tossable bike that wants to rip up the trails! I feared it was to heavy at 31#, but it feels like it weighs nothing on the trails. Ill update after a couple hundred miles of hard trail riding

Notes
Last season I purchased a Diamondback Response Sport 26er on sale from Sports Authority and put 600+ trail miles on it. It was a good bike for the money, extremely durable but was a bit heavy and just a little to large for me. Not a good fit from Sports Authority

The other two bikes I almost purchased were the Specialized Rockhopper 29er and Diamondback Overdrive Comp 29er. Both of these bikes cost $50 -$250 more than the Gravity 29point3. The Rockhopper fit me very well but felt....cheap. The Overdrive was $200 more on sale and I probably would have liked it just as much

Favorite Trail:   Pontiac Lake

Duration Product Used:   3 weeks

Purchased At:   Bikes Direct

Similar Products Used:   Diamondback Response Sport 26er, Nashbar At-2 26er, Cannondale SL2, various junk walmart bikes

Submitted by Bill Jones a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2012

Strengths:    Great components, strong bike, alot of bike for the money

Bottom Line:
Gravity p3 I think it was unfair to rate the point 5 with the cheapest model the point 1, I sold my specialized 29er comp and bought this gravity point 3. And I tell you it's a awesome bike for 700 dollars. It has juicy 3 185mm disc brakes, 30 speed sram x7 derailleurs, sram crank, rock shox tora fork. It is light and handles better than my other bike which cost way more. you will be glad you bought one if you do

Purchased At:   Bikes direct