Giant XtC Composite 29er 1 29er Hardtail

4.56/5 (16 Reviews)

Giant’s first-ever composite 29er was developed to meet the demands of our professional racers. They asked for the stability and control of a 29er, but with razor-sharp handling. Made with Giant Composite Technology, the frame’s massive MegaDrive downtube and OverDrive headtube give it quick, precise steering. Asymmetrical chainstays boost traction and acceleration. Find new confidence, and speed, with XtC Composite 29er.
  • Fox F29 RL with QR15 through-axle suspension fork
  • SRAM X.7 components
  • Giant Connect seatpost and stem
  • Giant S-XC29 2 rim/Shimano and Giant Tracker (15mm) hubs, wheelset

Submitted by kyle

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2013

Strengths:    reliable, well balanced.

Weaknesses:    can't think of any

Bottom Line:
this bike has truly exceeded my expectations in every way. Everything is very high quality, rides amazing, climes very well, brakes good, shifts perfectly. This is my third bike and I can’t say enough about how reliable this bike has been so far compared to others in the first year of ownership. Giant has made a fan out of me.

Submitted by Corey Kennedy a Racer

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2013

Strengths:    Drivetrain, weight, stiffness, brakes, performance

Weaknesses:    Tires, wheels are decent for the cost but heavy.

Bottom Line:
I have been shopping for a hard tail for two years and I think this is the best bike out there for the money. It climbs like a scalded monkey. It descends with comfort and agility especially considering it's a hard tail. I wanted more comfort then my 26 hard tail and better efficiency then my full squishy. This bike may be the only bike I ride. It's that good. I changed the wheels to cobalt race wheels, SRAM x9 cassette, titus carbon seatpost and mountain king tires. Other then that its stock. Large frame 24 pounds. I am very pleased and would recommend this bike to anyone looking for a fast, fun and nimble trail, cross country, and even race bike.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Similar Products Used:   Specialized epic, stump jumper 29 HT, trek stache, Santa Cruz highball, yeti arc, jamis dragon 29

Bike Setup:   SLX brakes, SLX Shifters and front derailleur, XT Cranks and rear derailleur, Crank Brothers Cobalt race wheels, X9 Cassette, Continental Mountain king tires, Fox CTD Fork, Titus carbon seat post and Easton EC70 bar.

Submitted by Caburtle a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2013

Strengths:    Speed! Handling, weight, pedaling efficiency, Shimano group set

Weaknesses:    Chainslap, CTD on Fox fork, No chainstay guard, tires

Bottom Line:
Before this bike I rode a 2012 Epic Comp. the switch to this bike was quite noticeable. The XTC climbs better, pedals more efficiently, and is more responsive. The switch from SRAM to Shimano was very impressive, most noticeably the braking power. I have ridden approximately 200 miles so far over varying trails in Utah and Arizona. The bike is a rocket but very stiff. Tire pressure adjustments make a large different in ride comfort.

I have two beefs with this bike so far. The first is the Fox fork. The CTD switch stopped working. The fork is stuck in the fully open position. After research and talking to the LBS it seems this is not an uncommon issue with new Fox forks. I guess they can come underlubricated from the factory. So I will be sending it in or service. Secondly, I have a serious chainslap issue. I don't know if it is due to a faulty derailleur or not but the chain consistently falls off the chainring to the inside and then off the crank. Because it is so loose, the chain is starting to eat into the carbon chainstay underneath. More to follow on these issues when they are resolved.

Bottom line: this is a very fast and affordable carbon XC bike. The group set is great and it can handle most everything you throw at it. Would I buy it again? Yes, as long as the issues above we're addressed.

Duration Product Used:   Approx 200 miles

Purchased At:   Fishers Cyclery Utah

Similar Products Used:   2012 Specialized Epic Comp

Bike Setup:   Stock, Continental Mountain King Protection 2.2, Stans Arch Ex w/ Hope Pro hubs

Submitted by Gooordo a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2013

Strengths:    Acceleration, speed, weight, colors, brakes, cranks, suspension, traction

Weaknesses:    Need an allen wrench to adjust seatpost. (No lever on clamp), wheels maybe a bit heavy.

Bottom Line:
Rocket on trails. Very good acceleration and speed. Very easy to keep constant on good speed. Shifts very fast and solid. Great on climbing. Fast at descending. Awesome on sand. I couldn't had done a better purchase for the price. Can't go wrong with composite frame. Makes me think I will never want to get rid of this baby!

Favorite Trail:   Tijuana River Trail

Purchased At:   Zumwalt's Bicycle

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by GnarBrahWyo

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2013

Strengths:    Relatively lightweight, stiff, fast, good handling, stock grips are surprisingly good, brakes are top notch, shifting is fast, climbs great.

Weaknesses:    Some might say heavy for a carbon bike (I prefer strength to weighs so maybe this isn't a weakness), stock tires stink,

Bottom Line:
I got this as a 2nd bike to my Stumpy FSR 29er. Wanted a fast HT for the tamer trails I ride when I am not on more dificult trails. haven't ridden a hardtail in years but I am liking it. To be honest, the bike feels like a 26er with the steeper HTA and snappy acceleration. It is a pleasure to ride, especially on fast twisty trails. The simplicity of the bike makes think of when I first started riding mountain bikes almost ten years ago. One thing I do not like are the ultra skinny stock tires. Some say the wheelset is heavy, but they feel light to me. Overall, great bike!

Submitted by Steve

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2013

Strengths:    Quick, relatively light excellent geometry, amazing bike for the $$$

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
I had been riding my 29 Anthem and thought no bike could ride better. I have had this bike for about a month now. Couple mild trail rides then straight into the True Grit Epic in Utah. I had never ridden a 29er hardtail and was worried about rough terrain and handling. This bike is amazing. Quick turn in for a 29er. excellent accelleration, climbs steeps and descends beautifully. I swapped the wheelset for Crank Bros Cobalt 3 29ers and put my Race Face carbon sl seatpost and WTB Silverado Team saddle, and now the bike is a respectable 23.5 lbs with pedals. Downhill it is suprisingly solid. I thought the Anthem would outshine itin descents, but riding the same trails and switching bikes the last few days I find the same downhill speed with easier climbing. Best bike of the 4 I have owned. Would recommend it to anyone.

Submitted by Jim a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2013

Strengths:    sustainable speed over and through rough terrain. Quick steering without being twitchy. Good stability at speed for a short wheelbase bike. Excellent acceleration.

Weaknesses:    Heavy for a carbon composite bike. Wheel set is not tubeless-ready.

Bottom Line:
I bought this 2012 XTC composite 29er 1 after riding many candidate bikes for Xterra competition. A steep discount offered on this bike got me into a carbon frame. I'm 5' 10" and 173 lbs. The year-end clearance discounted XTC was a medium frame with stock flat bars. I took a leap of faith, based on reviewers who recommended switching to low-rise bars. This I did and it improved the geometry tremendously. I feel that had the dealer done this the bike would have flown off the shelf.
Haven't yet ridden my first Xterra but rode a preview of the course with the XtC and it performed beautifully and seemed to be able to conserve forward momentum better than most of the competition, although most riders were on 26" bikes. Took a little getting used to the quick steering response because I was used to a slower, more raked-out front end. I was oversteering the bike in tight slalom turns. Just had to relax and point the bike where I wanted it to go. The short wheelbase is moderated by the rotational momentum of the big wheels netting a quick turn-in bike that is stable in turns. Also the bottom bracket and chainrings don't seem to ground out because of the short distance between tires. Riding position has been comfortable for long hauls. LOVE the bike and will offer a report after the race.

Favorite Trail:   Westridge/Sullivan canyon

Duration Product Used:   15 weeks

Purchased At:   Jones Cycles, Long B

Bike Setup:   Stock, except for low-rise, carbon bars (Ritchey EC-90 sl) and ESI foam grips

Submitted by Rocky Reed

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2013

Strengths:    Stiff on the climbs, smooth in the turns, very fast on the descends. Put 22 miles on tight single track, performance was perfect, did not feel big but rolled over everything!

Weaknesses:    Maybe an up grade on the rims to a tubeless ready type rim.

Bottom Line:
This bike handled quick, I rode a 26 Rocky Mountain Vertex large frame and ordered the Giant in a Med frame, the cockpit was very similar and comfortable, I can't believe I waited this long to go to a 29er!

Submitted by Chris Layne

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2013

Strengths:    Climbs like there is a motor attached.

Weaknesses:    Wheelset is hard to go tubless with and is a bit heavy.

Bottom Line:
Absolutely love this bike. I bought the 2013 model took it on one ride and fell in love. For the price I don't think there is another bike on the market that gives you this amount of compontents for the price as low as it is. Not for a carbon fiber ride. It does it all.

Submitted by kenguru a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2012

Strengths:    Frame, fork, shifting

Weaknesses:    Wheelset is a little heavy

Bottom Line:
This bike is a real rocket! Fast, agile, relatively comfortable, easy to set up. The wheelset is on the heavy side, although robust and easily convertible to tubeless with Stan's. The stock Schwalbe Ralphs are TL ready in theory, but not in practice. I replaced them quickly, although they grip and roll well, but they leak air, whatever I did. The frame and the ride is comfortable and fast at the same time. The geo is agile, easy to manouver with the wide bars. Absolutely love it. I replaced the brakes and the seat right away, I cannot comment those, but the stock shifting works very well.

Similar Products Used:   Giant XTC 29er alloy

Submitted by Bobcat - SC and NC XC rider a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2012

Strengths:    Great smooth ride, climbs like a goat, and fast and responsive on the downhill.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I did a ton of research before the purchase and test rode a number of other options (GF x-caliber, niner SIR & MCR). Hands down the best bang for the buck. No other's even came close for the value.

At the end of the day - its the best carbon 29ner you can buy for the price.

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Submitted by Footer a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2012

Strengths:    As others have said - very fast. Also very maneuverable in technical terrain. Can't speak to the quality of the components due to lack of experience. I did change from 2/10 to 3/10 for better top and low end - happy with that decision but the stock 2/10 works fine, too.

Weaknesses:    I'm about 6'2" and riding a large frame. Sometimes I feel a little high on it, especially when descending very steep terrain. Adjustable seatpost helps that.

Bottom Line:
Overall, very, very happy with it. Very efficient. Large cockpit - good if you have a tall torso and wide shoulders.

Favorite Trail:   Oak Mtn - Birmingham

Bike Setup:   Tires vary, Gravity Dropper seatpost, Point One pedals, ODI grips. Combo works well.

Submitted by bala fernandez a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2012

Strengths:    very light, fast and control. you may think it is a full suspension bike

Weaknesses:    racing ralph tires suck!

Bottom Line:
great bike for the money...really it is very reliable bike

Favorite Trail:   P2- little Moab- Monje