Giant XtC Composite 29er 0 29er Hardtail

Giant’s first-ever composite 29er was developed to meet the demands of our professional racers. They asked for the stability and control of a 29er, but with razor-sharp handling. Made with Giant Composite Technology, the frame’s massive MegaDrive downtube and OverDrive headtube give it quick, precise steering. Asymmetrical chainstays boost traction and acceleration. Find new confidence, and speed, with XtC Composite 29er.

• Fork: Fox F29 FIT RLC, 100mm-travel
  • Hubs: Giant Tracker
  • Spokes: DT Swiss Competition
  • Crankset: SRAM X9
  • Shifters: SRAM X9
  • Giant XTC Composite 29er 0 29er Hardtail Pro Review

For $3,600, you can pick up a 2011 Giant XTC 0 exactly like ours, which consists of 3.9 inches of suspension travel via a Fox F29 FIT RLC (15QR) fork, a SRAM 20-speed drivetrain (X.9 & X.0 blend), and Giant’s own in-house Contact handlebar. Giant P-XC29 2 wheels mate to Giant’s Tracker hubs and come wrapped in Maxxis Crossmark 2.1 rubber. Braking comes in the form of Avid Elixir Rs and a Fizik Tundra 2 saddle (mounted to a Giant branded seatpost) round out the cockpit. Continue reading →

Submitted by Scott Rhodes a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2012

Strengths:    Amazing spec for the money which still allows for upgrades

Weaknesses:    Is it really a weakness that there are to many Giant branded bits on the bike? Really don't like the Giant grips that come on the bike as they are fairly aggresive and I ride with thin gloves so they were the first thing to go.

Bottom Line:
    In stock form the bike charges up hills and is more than comfortable going down. I was nervous at first of the sram drive train as I had only had shomano in he past but the stock drive train exceeded my expectations. The fox fork needed more are than recommended to feel comfortable for me but that is most likely personal preference. Was surprised at the lack of weight in the Giant wheels as I expected them to be heavier but I am only using them as training wheels anyway.

Favorite Trail:   Almost anything uphill

Purchased At:   Planet Cycles

Similar Products Used:   First 29er

Bike Setup:   Enve bars, stem, and seatpost, XO carbon cranks, Stans Race Gold wheel set, XX cassette, XX chain, frameskin frame protection...other than that its the stock bike.

Submitted by nicholsonam a Racer from Castle Rock, CO

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2012

Strengths:    Very Light, Strong and Snappy frame. Great components for the price. The fork has lots of tuning features. FAST. Soaks up all the bumps.

Weaknesses:    Maxxis crossmark 29er tires are not very good for the dirt around here (loose over hard).

Bottom Line:
    This bike is the best bike I have ever ridin, It kills going up and downhill. I love to ride a mixture of all kinds of trails and am confident that i will get back to my car on this bike. It handles steep uphills like a mountain goat and rails on the down hills. It has taken me to races with Colorado high school mountain bike league and a 2nd place at the state finals. If you are debating on whether to buy it or not you should as it will help you to become the best that is possible.

Favorite Trail:   indian creek trails

Purchased At:   Giant Cycling World,

Similar Products Used:   trek superfly elite, specialized stumpjumper expert carbon

Bike Setup:   Stock with schwalbe racing ralphs

Submitted by TiDeluxe a Racer from Ogden, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2011

Strengths:    Stiff, durable, geometry

Weaknesses:    Not particularly light as carbon 29er frames go, but I'm happy with the heft for the stiffness and amazing tracking/stability

Bottom Line:
    If you want a rocket of a 29er hardtail this bike is it! I can't say enough good about this frame and honestly it really surprised me how well it went downhill. I honestly have loved this bike. The only downside is that there is a lot of paint on it and it isn't particularly light compared to the Scott or Cannondale frames which are well sub 1000grams. The complete bike as I had it built weighed 20.3 lbs w/ pedals and cages. Stock the bike seems like a good deal. All the stock components are solid performers, just not particularly light, but for the money its tough to beat.

Favorite Trail:   Indian Trail

Purchased At:   Biker's Edge

Similar Products Used:   Flash 29er, Tallboy, Giant Anthem 29er,

Bike Setup:   All XX,39-26 175mm crank and 11-36 cassette. Lefty 100mm 29er w/ Project 321 tapered conversion kit. Enve Composites XC UST 29er Wheelset w/ Project 321 hubs. Enve Composites Sweep Bar, Stem, Seatpost.

Submitted by jsunn99 a Racer from Littleton

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2011

Strengths:    Looks, stiffness, weight, price, super fast

Weaknesses:    Wheelset a bit on the heavy side, definitely will be upgrading soon

Bottom Line:
    This is my first 29er and my first hard tail in over 10 years. If someone told me 5 years ago that I would go back to a hard tail for racing I would have thought they were nuts. This bike is super fast, agile and stiff with the massive downtube and 15mm qr front fork. I rode the bike only one time before a recent race day and had far better results then ever before. Colorado is super rocky with lots of roots, tight turns and I never had issue nor did I have to dismount to get over some of the nasty technical climbs. It felt very similar on the fast technical decents as my 3 inch travel full suspension, I still love my full suspension but I do love the feel and simplicity of the bigger wheels, wider bars (690mm)and the 2x10 set up. I am 6'-2" and the bike just fits well. Right now I'm at 24.5Ibs (XL frame with pedals) this is with the stock non-tubeless wheelset as well, so this bike can easily get into the 23Ibs range even for an XL frame. Absolutely no buyers remorse on this bike, sold on the big wheels.

Favorite Trail:   Anything in Summit County

Purchased At:   Westside Cyclery

Bike Setup:   Fox F29 Fit RLC, XO rear d, XO Crankset, X9 shifters and Front d, Niner Carbon bar, Ritchey WCS Stem, Thomson Seatpost, ESI grips, Fizik Tundra Saddle

Submitted by X.O a Racer from pittsburgh,PA,USA

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2011

Strengths:    climbs great, accels quickly, razor sharp handing and steering, it goes only where you want to go.

Weaknesses:    head tube a little steep

Bottom Line:
    Super Price for a great bike that handles like a race bike not a slow trail type 29er. stock it weighed 25lbs no pedals After my few upgrades listed above 22 lbs with pedals. This bike is faster than I am which gets my in trouble sometimes. I love this fast light bike would just make one change for next year Giant slack the head tube angle about 1/2 degree.

Racers rejoice a great option to the over priced Highball and Air Carbon also not the bike your neighbor has Trek sucks and breaks all the time.

Favorite Trail:   any thing rooted and rocky

Purchased At:   WEST LIBERTY CYCLES

Similar Products Used:   Haro Mary 29er, On-one scandal 29er, gary fischer superfly demoed.

Bike Setup:   stock plus Chris King Hubs and No Tubes Crest rims DB DT swiss spokes, Maxxis Igniter tires f and r Look Quartz pedals

Giant XTC 0 Composite 29er - Help??

Let me start this off by saying that I currently ride a 2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er (which is for sale ;D) and I run the rear suspension to the point where it's almost locked out. So rear suspension doesn't really matter all that much to me. Right now I have the oppritunity to get a sweet dea ... Read More »

Just picked up my new giant xtc composite 29er 0 !!!

Just picked up my new baby!! Can't wait to ride it this weekend. First 29er so i hope i love it.. Just riding it around fits me way better than my santa cruz superlight which i loved.. She is a beauty!! :dRead More »

Giant xtc composite 29er 0 or 1?

Currently trying to decide between 2 bikes xtc 29er composite 1 or 0 2012 model size medium. Thinking about going with the 1 since none of the components on the zero offer that much weight decrease and they share the same wheelset which is where a weight decrease would count most. The extra $1200 ... Read More »