Giant XTC Advanced SL 29er 1 29er Hardtail

• Seatpost: Giant Contact SLR, Composite, 27.2
  • Shifters: SRAM X9, 2x10 Speed

Submitted by Jehannum

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2013

Strengths:    lightweight, comfortable, fast, smooth

Weaknesses:    Internal cable rattle

Bottom Line:
I purchased this bike after selling my anthem 0 29er for a good price. The reason I went for a HT was that I rarely ride singletrack and tend to ride predominately fire-trail- gravel roads + commuting. i was after a bike that ticked the lightweight endurance exploratory ride boxes and would make a great commuter/road bike with slicks - this is a bike that gets to see many 3+ hr rides on road/gravel/trails, usally all three surfaces in the same ride.

Well how does it ride? I 've left the bike stock except for putting on some ergon grips and a prologo saddle. I believe that the stock setup is more than adequate for my needs. I've even left the tubes in as I don't need the faff of a system that may or may not hold the tyre on the rim (also I swap tyres fairly often).
The ride is smooth and comfortable for a HT. There is so much vertical flex in the rear end/seatpost that it's made me realise that after 20 years of road/mtb I am not a smooth pedaller! Let me tell you that the bike HAS rear end suspension, it's just very short travel and undampened - there is that much vertical compliance. It makes for a really comfortable ride. I'm not sure why you'd need an aftermarket syntace post as other commenters have described adding - there is a lot of vertical compliance in this frame.
There is zero lateral flex, this beast has massive tube joins and massive carbon tubes. This bike is not flexing anytime soon. The ride is sharp and a little skittish, the rear does skip out under power and down hill and takes some body english - not forgiving like the anthem. Curiously the top tube is long and the stem ultra-short. I feel that it would benefit from a more evenly balanced geometry but i'm sure this is to try and make the ride more '26er' like.
With slicks the ride is very road-bike like. It is so light - i reckon it is like a Giant defy with discs and big tyres. At about 1 kg heavier than my cannondale ultegra CAAD 8 I don't see my old roadie getting much use anymore.

I bought this as a 'do it all' bike and it delivers. If I was into lots of technical singletrack and raced MTB I would go the anthem but this bke is probably as good as it gets when it comes to carbon HTs, at least for the price. I got this at a significant end of season discount - I'd never buy it at full price, I'd go the composite of alu XTC with a suspension or flexy seatpost.

Submitted by MJ1

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2013

Strengths:    The components as is are a pretty good bargain but worthy of upgrades since the frame is awesome. I upgraded the brakes to XT's, the rotors to Ashima Ai's, converted the crankset to a 1x with a direct-mount wolftooth, upgraded the rear derailleur to an XO type 2, put a 2.25 Rocket Ron on the front, changed the grips to ESI chunky, and put on XO grip shift. Converted the tires to tubeless of course and upgraded the hub to 10 degrees of engagement. All this done at cost neutral with the shop, awesome deal. Bike comes in right at 20.5 pounds. Almost forgot, put on a Syntace P6 HiFlex post on to help my back, that was an extra $150 I think but worth it.

Weaknesses:    Picky but I don't like Avid brakes and the RR on the front is not a great idea, need something with more bite and bigger volume. I get some cable rattle inside the frame but its fixable.

Bottom Line:
Awesome value, lightweight, great climber, handles great.

Submitted by Marco a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2013

Strengths:    I would like to begin this is my first HT. Coming from an Epic and Scalpel full suspension. This machine is powerful and stiff without any compromise in performance. I am not a racer but like to play with parts which I think make the bikes run well. I didn't like the first day I rode it on the trails. I almost took it back to get a full suspension again after riding in Santos Florida for 36 miles in my Cannondale the day before I purchased. I was patient and installed my old setup of schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.25 in the front and back making the setup tubeless with Stans. Wow just that made it so much more enjoyable with the right tire pressure that made me think why didn't I get this bike before. Another thing I changed is the brakes which are horrible the Avid's just don't cut it. I love shimano so XTR's with Ashima rotors and what a perfect combination this is once they break in. Now we are stopping like it should be. I then removed the front derailleur and installed a XX1 with 34T and a XX 11-36 in the rear, swapped out the saddle to Spyder and isntalled a 36 step ratchet kit on the DT Swiss hub and we got a sweet 20 lb. beast. I love this bike I barely get tired and want to keep riding like never before. I asked a few riders online about the bike and was told I would like it well they were wrong I love it. I had trouble with the Scalpel 29 it made me tired and couldn't keep up with the boys so I decided to give a HT a try. I don't plan to get another full suspension any time soon. It feels like my Epic with the brain suspension but with better handing, at least for me.

Weaknesses:    Even though this bike is well built and performs excellent the tires Scwhalbe's Racing Ralphs 2.1 are too stiff and make the ride like riding on the rims. Upgrade the tires and you will see the big difference and will enjoy much more. The appearance of the wheel set are not up to par with the color scheme of the frame which in turn make the bike look cheap. I love to peak at my bike every now and then. A flashier set of wheels will make this a top all around HT. Brakes are horrible and don't do a great job stopping this fast machine. It only has a 140 mm in the rear which I think its too small for the speeds that you achieve on it.

Bottom Line:
Overall I would recommend this bike but would upgrade little by little. I hope this has been a helpful review. I will spend some money on getting the correct fit done at my local shop to make it even better. I was going to buy a Niner Air RDO and almost did but was a bit more than I could afford. I don't regret getting the giant and with lifetime warranty on the frame compared to others well that just made it even better.

Purchased At:   Mack Cycle 2013