Giant XtC 29er Frame 29er Hardtail

XtC 29er combines the best of both worlds. With highly engineered ALUXX SL aluminum tubing and performance XC geometry, it delivers stability and surprisingly agile trail manners. Featuring Giant’s OverDrive headtube for steering precision and a 100-millimeter suspension fork, plus a PowerCore bottom bracket for pedaling stiffness, it’s a fast way to elevate your trail-riding skills.

Submitted by Predrag Babic

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2013

Strengths:    Geometry,light.nimble.

Bottom Line:
This is my second 29er.I build bike from ground up.Custom made wheels by Cycles de Oro in Greensboro NC . 350 DT Swiss ZTR Arch EX Maxxis Ardent 2.25 front and Aspen 2.10 rear.Full SLX drivetrain 1X9 .Whole bike with pedals 24 lb. This is one very fast bike.They turn on dime and diving like P47 Thunderbolt. I am powerful rider 200lb. and this bike climb like nothing else i ride before.Make me smile every time i ride.If you can find one ,go four,you can thank me letter.The fork is Recon solo air but i think 29er do not need fork.High volume tires do the job.Love it.

Submitted by Tomer Nobel a Racer

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2012

Strengths:    Stiff and responsive
Climbs well

Weaknesses:    missing a 2nd bottle mount on the seat tube (size M)

Bottom Line:
I really love this frame. I use Reba 120mm with 20mm axle. flow/quad wheels. Ikon 2.2 tires.
I love desert rides and this bike can take it all without being too heavy. I even took them to Switzerland and the Alps weren't a problem with 40/28 crank and 34/12 cassette. they accelerate all most like my old Salsa did. but they can flatten the trail better thane my 26" trance.

Favorite Trail:   "The Pit" Be'eri

Duration Product Used:   8 month

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Surly Karate monkey (thats my SS nike). Salsa moto rapido, Giant Trance/

Submitted by ajh a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2011

Strengths:    Fast rolling
Light weight
Inexpensive
Great fit
mud clearance

Weaknesses:    Not full suspension but I have found this may not be worth the weight and chain-stay length penalty on the 29r

Bottom Line:
First I have to say that I was not excited to get the Giant XTC 29 frameset this year. I originally planned to get an Anthem X 29 put my full SRAM XX group, Reba XX fork and DT 240/Stans Crest wheels on it then take all the stock parts and put them on the XTC and sell it.

Fortunately for me the Anthem was still on back-order as of April 15, 11 so I decided that since I had the XTC I may as well save the money and use it instead of waiting. I built it up with a Rockshox Reba 29 XX fork, full SRAM XX parts, Noir carbon flat bar, Bontrager XXL -17 stem, Easton EC 90 Zero post and my own build wheels with DT240 through axle QRs laced to Stans Crest 29 rims with Sapim Cx-ray spokes. Overall weight is just over 22 lbs. The

I definitely have to thank Giant for the delay on the Anthem. With a 29r the impacts from most hits and rolls over just about everything you do not have to bunny hop.

My first ride on the XTC 29 was my normal quick loop in a river valley next to the house. The bike was fast right from the start. Acceleration was perfect from rolling or standing. The ride was smooth as silk on the flat gravel paths which was expected. What was unexpected was I was riding at CX bike speeds and railing corners like I was on my road bike.

Next I hit the hills and up or down again was I CX bike speeds and loving every second of it. Soon I hit the single track and that was when I felt the true potential of the big wheels. I was able to ride this section just as fast or faster than my old Anthem X 26r. At the end of the ride I had a new personal best, even with slowing for the wet sections, to try and keep the new bike cleaner.

The second ride was the real test of the bike as it was a real off road trail. I left the house and locked the fork as it is a short road ride to the trail. Again the ride there was my fastest yet. Part of this may be the Bontrager 29-2 tires roll very well. I hit mud first as it has been raining here just about ever other day. The interesting part is I usually hate mud but this bike just plowed through and I had a blast. The bike has tons of mud clearance and the tires again were perfect in the sticky mud that during the fall would cause the Trek EX 7 that I was borrowing to seize up with mid.

Next was the dryer single track and the bike was faster, as confirmed by my Garmin files, than any other bike I have been on riding this trail. I was going faster on all the corners and again the ups and downs were faster than before. One major dip I usually have to go into the smaller of the two chainrings and this time I stayed in the big ring and found that I was not over-geared at the top.

Another bonus was going through water as I did not fear getting hung up on a large rock I could not see and again plowed right through.

After my new course record I was not hurting in the lower back like I used to with a 26 inch hardtail. It was a similar feeling to my Anthem 26r. I also noticed that I had left the fork locked out and I did not even notice this on the ride. Of course the big hits used the XX blow-off valve but the 29 inch wheels just rolled so well that for the most part the fork is not required unless it is really rocky.

Overall I am enamored with the XTC 29 and I do not think that I will bother with the Anthem 29 if it comes as a frame-set next year. Perhaps if I was doing larger AM stuff or longer off-road rides on rocky terrain but for most rides and racing I think the XTC is perfect. I would consider the XTC 29 Carbon that just came out but I still fear that one fall or rock that does in the frame and I am left with a $2000 dollar paperweight.