Giant Talon 29er Hardtail

• Pedals Steel flat
  • Cassette Sram PG950 9sp. 11-34T

Submitted by eugene a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2014

Strengths:    Frame, climbing, geometry

Weaknesses:    Fork, seat, tires but this should be expected for this price

Bottom Line:
I got a talon 1 for $300 on craigslist and love this bike. I upgraded for to a Reba fork and got a wtb pure v seat. Also changed to X9 derailleurs and shifters, and a 50mm stem. The bike handles very nicely now and climbing is probably its strongest point. I would suggest this bike to anyone starting with 29ers. Frame is worth upgrading and once upgraded will work even for the more advanced riders.

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Bike Setup:   Reba 100mm fork, SRAM x9 shifters and derailleurs, wtb pure v seat, maxis ardent tires, 50mm stem

Submitted by CJD a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2013

Strengths:    Great frame and the brakes work fantastically (although this is my first real run with Hydraulic brakes). I'm 195cm (6'4") and about 90kg (almost 200lb) and I ride an XL frame and it is the most comfortable I have been on a bike. Great for single trail and holds it's own for a few downhill blasts, but i pike out on the bigger jumps and take the bypass tracks.

Weaknesses:    The forks (Suntour SR something or others) are a bit rubbish. The adjustment for the pre-load seems cosmetic and the pogo effect across rough surfaces is almost worse that running rigid forks. Looking to upgrade to some Rock Shox, and soon.
Also had a creak in the bottom bracket after only about 100kms or so, but a quick re-grease and tighten fixed that and it has not returned.

Bottom Line:
- Great Bang for your Buck
- Budget a few hundred dollars to upgrade the shocks.
- Great spread of frame size.
- Very capable out of the box.

Favorite Trail:   Lysterfield - Buckle Down

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   Push Bike Shop - Pak

Submitted by Dynaman

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2013

Strengths:    Frame, brakes

Weaknesses:    For $900 none

Bottom Line:
Being a MTB rider since 1981 I struggle with the price of a high end bike today. Given that the Talon is a good buy. I replace t

Submitted by TwodoorMonarch

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2013

Strengths:    Good frame, looks good if you can get past the word "giant" appearing in at least 50 places on this bike, good brakes, good shifting

Weaknesses:    Suntour fork is rubbish. Bottom bracket creaks on each downstroke, but Giant reckon it was simply loose. They adjusted it but the noise is still there. They wont replace it as its a shimano part (UN26). This after only 6000 km of road use only, very little of it in the wet. Seat tube kept slipping, and now the cheap clamp lever has snapped.

Bottom Line:
I live in a hilly area of Adelaide South Australia, and use mountain bikes as commuter transport, virtually all on sealed road of varying quality, using 35 mm semi slick tyres. I choose this set up instead of a conventional road bike because I have back problems, and prefer the upright position, good spread of ratios, shock absorbing capacity of the front forks, and disc brakes are fantastic on downhills esecially if there is any rain about. My last two bikes were set up the same way. Neither developed bottom bracket problems, and both had far superior Rock Shox forks. Seat posts on both never slipped or broke clamps. I am therefore dissapointed with my 2012 Giant Talon in that these issues came up with less than 6000 km of constant but fairly gentle use. In my view, there are better deals around for the price especially if you dont really care if you ride a 26 or 29 inch, fitted with superior forks. Equipment levels are otherwise pretty good on the Giant, but overall, dont get sucked in by its good looks.

Submitted by ryan

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2013

Strengths:    no

Weaknesses:    sucks,broke third jump on it, it sucks hate it snaped the frame f***ing piece of s***, dont buy unless your really that stupid

Submitted by Charlie

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2013

Strengths:    brakes, tires, frame, shifters, looks etc etc. I can't say enough good about this bike.

Weaknesses:    The pedals suck I would encourage anyone with stock to replace those ASAP.

Bottom Line:
Where to start...I got this bike used on Craigslist for $650 on 7/15/13 and it was the 2012 model. I have been blown away by every aspect of this bike. The brakes are very strong with plenty of stopping power. The tire ares like nothing I have ever rode before and will literally travel over anything on the trail which is great for beginner like me. The price...you can't beat it period. I think this bike is literally the best value for the money that you can get considering all of the components that are included. Get this bike you will not be disappointed. I am overall thouroughly impressed with this bike.

Submitted by Indiana Anderson

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2013

Strengths:    Giant makes a durable, lightweight, mountain bike with pretty nice frame components for a $1000 or under mountain bike. If you areready to do some real mountain biking but not ready to spend a small fortune on a bike, then the Giant Talon is the perfect machine

Weaknesses:    Front fork isn't great, however I have had to replace stock forks on most of the mountain bikes I have owned in the last 30 years. other than the fork though this bike is a great value for it's price range.

Bottom Line:
Nice set of wheels. Always get positive reviews when out riding.Shift system is very efficient and works great. This bike is an awsome bike for intermediate riders, offering good control. If inclined to do so, a cyclist who is ready to move up to experienced could easily turn this bike into something more advanced than intermediate.

Submitted by ari

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2013

Strengths:    this is a solid bike for riders of all skill level. comfortable geometry that allows hours of riding. brakes and drivetrain are very nice along with the fork

Weaknesses:    the seat is not the most comfortable seat ive ever ridden. also i believe that there are too many gears. i rarely use more than nine of them and the extra gears just mean there is more to break.

Bottom Line:
overall this is a wonderful bike. i would recommend the bike to anyone who enjoys riding cross country. this bike allows me to commute to the trails, and then ride for hours once i get there. i would change out the seat before taking longer rides but for now it is fine. this bike is great for the price and i would recommend it to riders of all skill levels

Submitted by Hans a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2013

Strengths:    Very solid and responsive Aluminum Frame. Saddle is comfortable. Geometry is spot on. The disk brakes will stop on a dime wet or dry. SRAM shifters and SRAM X5 rear derailleur shifts firm and fast. Rolls well, very fast on dirt/street. Maneuvers very well, very stable. The Kenda small block V8 tires perform very well.

Weaknesses:    Front derailleur is a Shimano Altus , a slow spongy derailleur and it the only reason why I did not score the overall rating at a 5 Flamin Chilis

Bottom Line:
I retired my 1995 Trek 850 with hard nose and hard tail and bought a 2012 left over Talon 29er-1 at a great price ! I abolutely love this bike, been riding it on street and tow path. Bike performs very well, love it. The fork is fine for the type of riding I am currently doing. I am 5'10" and weigh 200 lbs and did some mild air off a street curb and the fork did not come close to bottom out. 100 mm of travel goes a long way. The Talon is a great value and a great bike. I will take it back to the dealer and have the Altus derailleur replaced with a SRAM. I prefer the SRAM, they seem to work better? This bike is very comfortable and easy to ride ...

Favorite Trail:   ones I don't crash on

Duration Product Used:   2 weeks

Bike Setup:   SRAM X% rear derailleur
SRAM shifters
Shimano Altus front derailleur
Avid disk brakes and levers
Kenda small block V8 tires
Suntour XTC-V3 100mm fork

Submitted by TNT

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2013

Strengths:    its light weight
front fork (overall good for an entry level bike)

Weaknesses:    pedals WILL have to be replaced
other than that GREAT value

Bottom Line:
I have ridden this bike now for several weeks (a step up from my 2008 Gary Fisher-Trek) and let me tell you its a night and day difference from my old bike. I was one that was not completley sold on 29er's but this bike change my opinion almost immedeatly...

OVERALL: Great bike for the money.....

Submitted by derelekt

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2013

Strengths:    Comfortable to ride. Schwalbe tires do nice for me.

Weaknesses:    Shifting performance is less than desirable under stress. No problem with the fork but this is my first suspension bike so it may not matter until later

Bottom Line:
After 20 years of nothing but a rigid Trek with 26's, this bike took a bit of getting use to. I've put around 100 miles on it on about half pavement and half trail. The less aggressive stance compared to my older bike is probably good as I am older too and need to accept that some things I shouldn't do anymore. :)

Bottom Line - If you can afford the Talon 0 the better parts would be worth it. If you're like me and have to stretch to get a bike, I can say at least early on, this bike won't disappoint.

Submitted by Terence a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2013

Strengths:    - The Rockshox XC30 TK fork on the 2013 is awesome - very plush and adjustable.
- The Frame is very light and strong - Pretty much an XTC frame with slacker geometry (not as agressive, more relaxed). The matte paint job is nice too (makes scratching and dings from rocks less noticeable).
- The SRAM shifters are a bit harsh at times but do the job really well (X5 kit)
- The Drivetrain seems to work very well so far in winter conditions (they are basically filthy as hell at the moment because of Salt, Dirt, etc.)
- The Double Walled wheels are boss and very strong. No truing necessary yet either and I am a heavy rider.
- The geo of the bike along with the wide handlebars just feel right. If you are on the bigger side, you are going to love this bike.
- This goes without saying, but the 29er wheels really improve traction compared to my last 26er.
- Schwalbe Rapid Rob tires are really good compared to Kendas I have had. They are good cheap beginners tires.
- The Giant connect seat post and handlebars do the job well enough.

Weaknesses:    - The pedals are pretty small on the bike, and I could see them not handling much rock bashing without being destroyed. I plan to upgrade them in the spring.
- The seat is really uncomfortable for what this bike is designed to do (i.e. ride for hours upon hours on end). Will be getting another more ergonomic seat this spring.
- 30 gear drivetrain just seems a little excessive. For me, 24 speed drivetrains do the job plenty well enough, since I only really use 16 of those really. This is more a matter of preference however.
- The fork i great for trail riding, single track, and some rough stuff if you tune it right, but is definitely too light duty if you are planning to do jumps, downhill bomb, or any of the more advanced stuff. You should upgrade this first if you really plan to push the bike is some serious ways.

Bottom Line:
Overall, the bike is an exceptional piece of machinery for the money. It also demonstrates that Giant understood the weaknesses of the 2012 Talon 29er 0 and sought to rectify them. If you have read the review for the 2012 Talon on 29eronline (if you have not check it out), you will know that the fork (RS XC28) on last years model along with the stock tires (Kenda SB8) were a weakness that held an exceptional bike back on the trails. Giant addressed this by adding a beefier, more durable, and less flexy Rockshox XC30 Fork along with a more grippy Schwalbe Rapid Rob tire. In addition, Giant managed to shave 100 dollars off of the MSRP from the 2012 model. The results are clear; I would not have bought the 2012 Talon, but I did buy the 2013 model because of these key upgrades and reasonable price. The value for money was simply much greater for me.

So far I have ridden the bike in nothing but conditions that terrain grip is hard to come by, including muddy terrain, icy terrain, wet terrain, and terrain with a layer or two of snow. In all conditions that bike has held up very well, and I have managed to maintain stability very well. Shifting has been crisp although not as smooth as on my previous Shimano set up. There is however, excellent power delivery from the drivetrain - this is a bike where you can really hammer out a sprint and go blisteringly fast without worry that the bike will fall out from underneath you. Its not a bona fide racer, but with a few small upgrades (like the fork), it sure as hell could be.

Another thing to note is that I am a larger fellow (5'11 245 lbs), and this bikes components seem to work very well for me. Add the fact that I can be very rough on my bikes (or downright abusive if I am confident enough), and any vote of confidence from me will carry weight. Parts that tend to let me know pretty quickly they dont like me are the forks and wheel sets (which fly out of true or flex respectively). However, Giant bikes have held up well for me in the past, and this is the most expensive one I have owned, so I doubt I will have any problems.

All in all, if you want a race 29er stock, you may want to consider the XTC 2 29er for 300 more. But if you are a weekend warrior looking to shred up the trails for exercise, or you simply like riding your bike a lot like me (average 3-4 hours per day, 4 days a week), the Talon 29er 0 is all you will really need. For me, the value for money was enough to turn me off of purchasing the XTC 2 29er, and I was pretty dead set on that bike before researching this one. Besides, as you get better at riding, the frame of the Talon offers ample room for upgrades. It is the kind of bike that is past the recreation range so you will get far more durable components, but does not break your budget completely.

Giant did a great job on this one.

Purchased At:   Brant Cycle

Similar Products Used:   2012 Giant Revel 1 - stolen.

Bike Setup:   Stock 2013 Giant Talon 29er 0

Submitted by Jesse845

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2012

Strengths:    Solid frame

Weaknesses:    Garbage components

Bottom Line:
I bought this as my first real mountain bike, after riding a dick's mountain bike for several years. It comes with a SRAM 3x8 drivetrain, which is garbage. I upgraded to a shimano SLX 3x9 drivetrain. The fork is also garbage. I upgraded to an inexpensive Manitou Tower Expert 120. The mechanical disc brakes were fine, but I upgraded them to SLX hydraulic discs. Overall, this bike is fine for a casual rider, but not suited for trail riding, unless you are willing to upgrade several components.

Submitted by Travis a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2012

Strengths:    Price, durability

Weaknesses:    Rear derailer bracket broke twice when landing jumps and front fork could be better but still works after a year of use on trails an entry lvl xc bike had no business on

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the price wrecket lot of times and still holding strong

Favorite Trail:   Gooseberry Mesa