Giant Talon 29er 2 29er Hardtail

4.43/5 (14 Reviews)

Engineered for better control and increased comfort on the trail. The all-new Talon 29er’s responsive ALUXX aluminum frame is designed with specific geometry to optimize its 29-inch wheels. The larger-diameter wheels roll over obstacles with greater ease, improve your traction and help you keep your momentum on the trail.
  • Frame: ALUXX-Grade Butted aluminum
  • Handlebar: Giant Sport, Low rise 31.8mm, Alloy
  • Stem: Giant Sport, Alloy
  • Seatpost: Giant Sport, Alloy, 30.9
  • Pedals: MTB Caged, Alloy

Submitted by ryan

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2013

Strengths:    no

Weaknesses:    sucks,broke third jump on it, it sucks hate it snaped the frame f***ing piece of s***, dont buy unless your really that stupid

Submitted by Charlie

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2013

Strengths:    brakes, tires, frame, shifters, looks etc etc. I can't say enough good about this bike.

Weaknesses:    The pedals suck I would encourage anyone with stock to replace those ASAP.

Bottom Line:
Where to start...I got this bike used on Craigslist for $650 on 7/15/13 and it was the 2012 model. I have been blown away by every aspect of this bike. The brakes are very strong with plenty of stopping power. The tire ares like nothing I have ever rode before and will literally travel over anything on the trail which is great for beginner like me. The price...you can't beat it period. I think this bike is literally the best value for the money that you can get considering all of the components that are included. Get this bike you will not be disappointed. I am overall thouroughly impressed with this bike.

Submitted by Indiana Anderson

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2013

Strengths:    Giant makes a durable, lightweight, mountain bike with pretty nice frame components for a $1000 or under mountain bike. If you areready to do some real mountain biking but not ready to spend a small fortune on a bike, then the Giant Talon is the perfect machine

Weaknesses:    Front fork isn't great, however I have had to replace stock forks on most of the mountain bikes I have owned in the last 30 years. other than the fork though this bike is a great value for it's price range.

Bottom Line:
Nice set of wheels. Always get positive reviews when out riding.Shift system is very efficient and works great. This bike is an awsome bike for intermediate riders, offering good control. If inclined to do so, a cyclist who is ready to move up to experienced could easily turn this bike into something more advanced than intermediate.

Submitted by TNT

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2013

Strengths:    its light weight
front fork (overall good for an entry level bike)

Weaknesses:    pedals WILL have to be replaced
other than that GREAT value

Bottom Line:
I have ridden this bike now for several weeks (a step up from my 2008 Gary Fisher-Trek) and let me tell you its a night and day difference from my old bike. I was one that was not completley sold on 29er's but this bike change my opinion almost immedeatly...

OVERALL: Great bike for the money.....

Submitted by Jesse845

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2012

Strengths:    Solid frame

Weaknesses:    Garbage components

Bottom Line:
I bought this as my first real mountain bike, after riding a dick's mountain bike for several years. It comes with a SRAM 3x8 drivetrain, which is garbage. I upgraded to a shimano SLX 3x9 drivetrain. The fork is also garbage. I upgraded to an inexpensive Manitou Tower Expert 120. The mechanical disc brakes were fine, but I upgraded them to SLX hydraulic discs. Overall, this bike is fine for a casual rider, but not suited for trail riding, unless you are willing to upgrade several components.

Submitted by Travis a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2012

Strengths:    Price, durability

Weaknesses:    Rear derailer bracket broke twice when landing jumps and front fork could be better but still works after a year of use on trails an entry lvl xc bike had no business on

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the price wrecket lot of times and still holding strong

Favorite Trail:   Gooseberry Mesa

Duration Product Used:   Year and a half

Similar Products Used:   Gary fish marlin

Submitted by Shawnk386 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2012

Strengths:    Frame

Weaknesses:    seat, FORK!!!!,

Bottom Line:
I got mine for a little less than $500. . . the fork is garbage, sold it recently on CL for $30 since I put a $400 Reba RL on it and makes the bike worth riding now, the bike is great once there is a decent fork on it, other uprades should come later in my opinion. next upgrades will be seat/post, stem, brakes, wheelset and cranks(in that order) then it will be an amazing bike.

Favorite Trail:   Malacompra

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Giant Boulder SE, Fuji Panic Comp

Bike Setup:   flipped stem/no spaces with EA70 bars, Reba RL fork QR 9mm, nashbar bash guard, clipless pedals(shimano m 520's, ) Grips(lock on's)

Submitted by Samuel a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2012

Strengths:    This is a great beginner bike. I bought the 2012 model about four months ago when a couple of friends got me into mountain biking. I hadn't ridden a bike in about 15 years so it took some time to get used to everything. After getting used to it on some local dirt roads I finally decided to take it to the trails. It handles everything so well, the bike makes up for my lack of skill and fitness. The tires grips the trails and the shifts are solid. I don't have anything to compare it to but if you are wanting to get into mountain biking you should definitely look at this. Make sure you get the right size and don't worry about it feeling too big at first, you get used to the size.

Weaknesses:    The only problem I've had so far was the front brake not working. The LBS I bought the bike gives free lifetime tuneups so no problems after taking it to them. The fork is the first upgrade since the stock one is rather lacking.

Bottom Line:
Get it, you won't regret spending the cash. Good for paved streets, dirt roads, and trails.

Purchased At:   Lewis and Clark Outf

Submitted by Dirt Hot a Weekend Warrior from Quantico VA

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2011

Strengths:    Very sharp looking. I get a lot of compliments on the appearance. Seat and handlebars are proper for my frame (5'9" 195lbs). Pedals are very sharp and dig into my shoes, something that i like. Brakes are outstanding. Even caked with mud they are quiet and very effective at stopping, even in emergency applications.

Weaknesses:    Chain broke after my first 1/4 mile. Didnt even get to the trails. Bicycle Pro Shop replaced the chain no questions asked in about 5 minutes. Shifting under heavy load causes chain to bind, probably cause the deraillers are stock. I imagine this is common on all entry level deraillers. Tires are not aggressive enough for the muddy, root infested trails I ride on Quantico. I got the large frame and should have gone with a medium, that is my fault I guess.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike at Bicycle Pro Shop in Alexandria VA, after two other bike shops would not even help me. The other bike shops turned their noses up to me when I told them I wanted to spend 500 dollars maximum (I was looking for a used bike). The shop did not have any used bikes but they fit me to a 2011 model they were looking to get rid of at a discounted price. I wanted to spend only 500 dollars and get a rigid frame, but after telling them about the trails I would be riding they recommended a more serious bike. And I am happy I spent the extra money for this bike. I would die on these trails without a suspension. I do wish I would have gone with a medium frame size though, as I am fairly inexperienced with riding and the 29" Large frame is kind of intimitdating (again, I am 5'9" 195 pounds).

Favorite Trail:   Biker's Bumps

Purchased At:   Bicyle Pro Shop, Ale

Similar Products Used:   old school Specialized HardRock, fully customized.

Bike Setup:   Stock. Fork upgrade planned. New Tires planned.

Submitted by zoltek a Cross Country Rider from Sioux Falls, SD

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2011

Strengths:    Awesome bike. Does well in town and on dirt trails. Handles well.

Weaknesses:    Gets a little tipsy if you have to wait at a light and are not careful.

Bottom Line:
Great bike, good price. Just remember to get a u-bolt... I had one stolen two months after I bought it.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere

Purchased At:   Spoke N' Sport

Bike Setup:   Stock with improved pedals so I don't smash them up.

Submitted by Ghengis65 a Weekend Warrior from Los Angeles, CA

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2011

Strengths:    Overall comfort, solid frame, decent components for the price, upgradable frame

Weaknesses:    saddle could be much better, RD, would have liked a 9-speed but I can wait

Bottom Line:
For the money, this is a fantastic starter bike. Decent components, solid frame and comfortable geometry. No regrets here.

Favorite Trail:   TBD

Purchased At:   Pedalers West

Similar Products Used:   tested the Trek 3500 disc, Trek 4500 disc, GF Marlin, Felt Q520, Felt Q620, Felt Nine Trail

Bike Setup:   Stock (new saddle on its way)

Submitted by NJ_DD a Weekend Warrior from Tranquility, NJ

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2011

Strengths:    Decent entry level 29er for the price

Weaknesses:    I immediately switched out the 8-sp cassette for a 9-speed. The front fork is also on the heavy side.

Bottom Line:
I'd recommend this bike if you are looking for an entry level 29er. Lower end components can always be swapped out as they need replacement.

Purchased At:   Curty's Cyclery

Submitted by Nelmenator a Weekend Warrior from St. Louis, MO USA

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2011

Strengths:    Lightweight, handles great.

Weaknesses:    Rear derailler hanger broke 1st day but LBS replaced free of charge and no issues since.

Bottom Line:
If you're looking for an entry level 29er like I was, this is the bike for you. Agree with previous poster, would have liked a 9 speed cassette.

Favorite Trail:   Chubb

Purchased At:   South County Cyclery

Bike Setup:   Time ATAC pedals, everything else stock for now.

Submitted by grivlet a Cross Country Rider from Chattanooga TN

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2010

Strengths:    Lightweight, build quality seems top notch. The brakes have modulation that feels similar to a hydraulic setup. Havent had it out on the trails just yet, I'll post an update when I do!

Weaknesses:    SRAM X-4 rear deraileur, seat hurts, front fork is okay at best.

Bottom Line:
Feels like a great bike, wish it had a 9 speed cassette but hey for the price you cant go wrong. I'll be riding this and upgrading it as I see the need and can afford it!

Favorite Trail:   Raccoon Mtn

Purchased At:   East Ridge Bicycles

Bike Setup:   all stock

2012 Giant Anthem X 29er 2 or 2014 Giant Talon 27.5 1

Well I have narrowed my search down and was about to pull the trigger on the new Giant Talon 27.5 1 when I stumbled across an used 2012 Giant Anthem X 29er 2. Price wise they are within ~$100 of each other, Talon for $1500 w/ tax and asking price of Anthem $1600. The Anthem's owner states that it h ... Read More »

Difference between Giant XTC 29er 2 and Talon

What are the major difference between a giant XTC 29er 2 and the Giant Talon? Still trying to decide between mamba, cobia, rockhopper and now the XTC or talon.Read More »

giant talon 2 29er seat

the stock seat is pretty uncomfortable when compared to the seat on my girlfriends diamondback. not sure if it is the stock diamondback seat bought the bike used. What is a descent replacement seat that doesnt cost a fortune?Read More »

Giant Talon 2 29er fork upgrade

So I want to upgrade my front forks but don't know where to start. Any guidance? I've check out forks that require axles instead of quick releases. Should I upgrade my wheels at the same time? To explain my use, I mainly hit light trails and commute. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.Read More »

Talon 2 29er BB size type

Hi, Just wondering what type/size of BB i would get if I were to change the stock cranks to a shimano or SRAM?Read More »