Giant Talon 29er 1 29er Hardtail

Engineered for better control and increased comfort on the trail. The all-new Talon 29er’s responsive ALUXX aluminum frame is designed with specific geometry to optimize its 29-inch wheels. The larger-diameter wheels roll over obstacles with greater ease, improve your traction and help you keep your momentum on the trail.
  • Frame: ALUXX-Grade Butted aluminum
  • Handlebar: Giant Sport, Low rise 31.8mm, Alloy
  • Stem: Giant Sport, Alloy
  • Seatpost: Giant Sport, Alloy, 30.9
  • Shifters: SRAM X5 Trigger

Submitted by eugene a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2014

Strengths:    Frame, climbing, geometry

Weaknesses:    Fork, seat, tires but this should be expected for this price

Bottom Line:
I got a talon 1 for $300 on craigslist and love this bike. I upgraded for to a Reba fork and got a wtb pure v seat. Also changed to X9 derailleurs and shifters, and a 50mm stem. The bike handles very nicely now and climbing is probably its strongest point. I would suggest this bike to anyone starting with 29ers. Frame is worth upgrading and once upgraded will work even for the more advanced riders.

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Bike Setup:   Reba 100mm fork, SRAM x9 shifters and derailleurs, wtb pure v seat, maxis ardent tires, 50mm stem

Submitted by CJD a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2013

Strengths:    Great frame and the brakes work fantastically (although this is my first real run with Hydraulic brakes). I'm 195cm (6'4") and about 90kg (almost 200lb) and I ride an XL frame and it is the most comfortable I have been on a bike. Great for single trail and holds it's own for a few downhill blasts, but i pike out on the bigger jumps and take the bypass tracks.

Weaknesses:    The forks (Suntour SR something or others) are a bit rubbish. The adjustment for the pre-load seems cosmetic and the pogo effect across rough surfaces is almost worse that running rigid forks. Looking to upgrade to some Rock Shox, and soon.
Also had a creak in the bottom bracket after only about 100kms or so, but a quick re-grease and tighten fixed that and it has not returned.

Bottom Line:
- Great Bang for your Buck
- Budget a few hundred dollars to upgrade the shocks.
- Great spread of frame size.
- Very capable out of the box.

Favorite Trail:   Lysterfield - Buckle Down

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   Push Bike Shop - Pak

Submitted by TwodoorMonarch

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2013

Strengths:    Good frame, looks good if you can get past the word "giant" appearing in at least 50 places on this bike, good brakes, good shifting

Weaknesses:    Suntour fork is rubbish. Bottom bracket creaks on each downstroke, but Giant reckon it was simply loose. They adjusted it but the noise is still there. They wont replace it as its a shimano part (UN26). This after only 6000 km of road use only, very little of it in the wet. Seat tube kept slipping, and now the cheap clamp lever has snapped.

Bottom Line:
I live in a hilly area of Adelaide South Australia, and use mountain bikes as commuter transport, virtually all on sealed road of varying quality, using 35 mm semi slick tyres. I choose this set up instead of a conventional road bike because I have back problems, and prefer the upright position, good spread of ratios, shock absorbing capacity of the front forks, and disc brakes are fantastic on downhills esecially if there is any rain about. My last two bikes were set up the same way. Neither developed bottom bracket problems, and both had far superior Rock Shox forks. Seat posts on both never slipped or broke clamps. I am therefore dissapointed with my 2012 Giant Talon in that these issues came up with less than 6000 km of constant but fairly gentle use. In my view, there are better deals around for the price especially if you dont really care if you ride a 26 or 29 inch, fitted with superior forks. Equipment levels are otherwise pretty good on the Giant, but overall, dont get sucked in by its good looks.

Submitted by Hans a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2013

Strengths:    Very solid and responsive Aluminum Frame. Saddle is comfortable. Geometry is spot on. The disk brakes will stop on a dime wet or dry. SRAM shifters and SRAM X5 rear derailleur shifts firm and fast. Rolls well, very fast on dirt/street. Maneuvers very well, very stable. The Kenda small block V8 tires perform very well.

Weaknesses:    Front derailleur is a Shimano Altus , a slow spongy derailleur and it the only reason why I did not score the overall rating at a 5 Flamin Chilis

Bottom Line:
I retired my 1995 Trek 850 with hard nose and hard tail and bought a 2012 left over Talon 29er-1 at a great price ! I abolutely love this bike, been riding it on street and tow path. Bike performs very well, love it. The fork is fine for the type of riding I am currently doing. I am 5'10" and weigh 200 lbs and did some mild air off a street curb and the fork did not come close to bottom out. 100 mm of travel goes a long way. The Talon is a great value and a great bike. I will take it back to the dealer and have the Altus derailleur replaced with a SRAM. I prefer the SRAM, they seem to work better? This bike is very comfortable and easy to ride ...

Favorite Trail:   ones I don't crash on

Duration Product Used:   2 weeks

Bike Setup:   SRAM X% rear derailleur
SRAM shifters
Shimano Altus front derailleur
Avid disk brakes and levers
Kenda small block V8 tires
Suntour XTC-V3 100mm fork

Submitted by derelekt

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2013

Strengths:    Comfortable to ride. Schwalbe tires do nice for me.

Weaknesses:    Shifting performance is less than desirable under stress. No problem with the fork but this is my first suspension bike so it may not matter until later

Bottom Line:
After 20 years of nothing but a rigid Trek with 26's, this bike took a bit of getting use to. I've put around 100 miles on it on about half pavement and half trail. The less aggressive stance compared to my older bike is probably good as I am older too and need to accept that some things I shouldn't do anymore. :)

Bottom Line - If you can afford the Talon 0 the better parts would be worth it. If you're like me and have to stretch to get a bike, I can say at least early on, this bike won't disappoint.

Submitted by I Leishman

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2012

Strengths:    Frame and components for the price range. Durable and comfortable for commuting on poor city streets.

Weaknesses:    Fork - after 1000 km of mainly road biking I had to replace the fork. Felt like a pogo stick. I upgraded with rock shox xc and the feel is amazing. I would suggest to spend the extra money and get a Talon 0 that comes with the rock shox xc.

Bottom Line:
I am beginner to biking. Needed a bike that could handle the streets of Toronto (potholes and constant contruction) and hop on the trails without any need adjustments. Sacrificing speed for durability and comfort. A friend who had be riding for years, reccommended a 29er. For the price range of $800 CAD the Giant Talon 1 was the best pick and value for money. My commute to work is 40 km round trip and have the opportunity to hop on single track trails. This bike is amazing for type of riding I am doing. The tires are fast on the road for a mountain bike and able to handle the trails when dry.

Submitted by A Ingrande

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2012

Strengths:    Good ride, hill climb torque comfort and stability

Weaknesses:    Brakes always felt different front to rear front were good rear felt musty and always chasing adjustment.Biggest flaw....FRAME...broke in half and smashed my face to the ground. Not jumping monster drops but doing little 4 and 5 ft stuff.

Bottom Line:
Maybe a good bike for small flat trail rides..but I have a DS3 that regularly handles the same trail that destroyed the 29er...Giants warrenty is a joke Crashes arent covered. and my face looks like I went 3 rounds with Tyson..All crashes suck...but whent you destroy an almost new $1000 bike and get hurt....enough said.

Submitted by Gergle on the mountain

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2012

Strengths:    Much more comfortable than I expected. I love 29ers. Once you're moving...you're really moving. The hydraulic brakes are a must if you are riding on any steep slopes. I rode down two cat 5 hills, one paved one gravel. Tires handled fine.

Weaknesses:    Brand new bike (in rental fleet) needed adjustment. Shifting was not as crisp as I would have wanted. Once tuned-up the next renter will have a smoother ride. Uphill the tire slipped on the gravel

Bottom Line:
I rented my bike from element sport in Winchester, VA (www.elementsport.com) as a test drive. I ended up buying a Talon 29er 0. Anyone should test drive for more than 10 miles in real conditions, don't just ride around the parking lot.

Submitted by Derp

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2012

Strengths:    Great handling, fast, great climbing and descending, hydraulic discs

Weaknesses:    The tires suck. Fork could be better.

Bottom Line:
Awesome hard tail for the money. I ride it a lot at my house, and have crashed it several times. It's still going strong. Handles super well.

Submitted by Todd a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2012

Strengths:    Price

Weaknesses:    -Awful fork
-A creak I can't find

Bottom Line:
I'm just returning to mountiain biking, so this is a reasonable way to get back in. Price (in Canada) was under $800 for the 2012 Talon 1. I'm 5'9" 200lbs and on a small - standover height was surprising, usually I'm on a medium. I've since replaced the drivetrain (crank, derailleurs, shifters, cassette) and brakes, not because they broke, but I was offered some hand-me-downs for free. These have made a substantial improvement.

There's a creak in the frame that I can't pinpoint, and neither can the LBS from which I bought the bike. Once the season is over I plan to send it back to Giant to have it evaluated. It's not stopping me from riding, but it's seriously annoying.

The biggest weakness is the fork - it's just terrible. It's wearing very quickly and performed poorly out of the box, and I'm no expert. I plan to upgrade the fork and wheels simultaneously, after which I'll probably just ride it.

Overall, a good starting point, but leaves much to be desired.

Still, for a novice to intermediate rider like me, it's fine and really very affordable.

Purchased At:   Impala Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Old 26" MTBs.

Submitted by david

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2012

Strengths:    excellent geometry, just a nice overall package that works really well together, gearing is good, brakes are hydraulic disc, front fork does its job ( and has adjustable lockout that can be dialed in very easily while riding), overall the bike is a very comfortable bike for long rides ( i use it for 30 - 50 mile mixed surface riding ), yet still can dish out some fairly rough riding on some off road

Weaknesses:    for the price and the total package of the bike, i dont see any weaknesses worth mentioning. any upgrades one might want would simply put you into a higher price category of bike. the next step up in the giant line of 29ers being the xtc 29ers. but the talon 29er bike is very good as it is decked out for the price range.

Bottom Line:
i'm 6 ft tall and weigh around 195, and have some carpal tunnel issues, but the geometry on this bike is very comfortable and i'm easily able to ride how i like for 30 - 50 miles at a time and feel good on this bike. its a good smooth ride and it rolls fast and smooth if ya kick it up to speed, also climbs well and handles moderate sized bumps and lumps pretty well, ( jumping off of curbs etc ). i've tried equivalent bikes in the trek and specialized makes, but this one seems to me the far better bike overall.

Submitted by envymeb4ucrash

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2012

Strengths:    great bike for price true on the shock

Weaknesses:    shock

Bottom Line:
lol guy that posted about all the parts that broke sounds like you need a new bike shop to buy parts from.

Submitted by Boyblue a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2012

Strengths:    Was looking for something different after years on 26" hardtails and had heard good things about 29ers. Loved the look of the talon 29er 2011 and when I took it out for it's first ride I absolutely loved it. Great riding position and easy to keep up momentum on long trails.

Weaknesses:    Where do I start! Broke first chain after 4 weeks and shortly after wore out first cassette, have now went through 3 more of each in just over a year. No-one can give me a good reason why especially as prior to this I haven't broken a chain in a decade! Now 1 year on I have just had to replace the crank, bottom bracket, another chain and another cassette, all worn out. Thought my rear bearings were worn out but on stripping down it seems the bearings are ok but the cones and cups are badly corroded and pitted and the freehub is worn and now wobbly. Getting fed up of constantly replacing bits on this bike. The forks are pretty poor and they are also now starting to creak and rub.

Bottom Line:
If I had written this review 2 months after getting the bike I would have given it 5/5, however it has simply not been able to stand up to the cross country riding I do. I ride in Scotland and the conditions can be harsh with lots of mud and tough trails. However the amount of wear and tear has been ridiculous. Does the torque required to turn the bigger wheels cause more wear on the drive train? If so put more durable parts on Giant! Still love riding the bike, it's light,it's fast, it eats up the terrain you throw at it but it isn't built for tough conditions.

Favorite Trail:   comrie, scotland

Purchased At:   Dales, Glasgow

Submitted by chops1972 a Weekend Warrior from suffolk county ny

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2012

Strengths:    2012 giant talon 1 the frame is amazing rides smooth and stops on the dime I love the bike

Weaknesses:    Not crazy about the forks but will be replacing them with a set of fox!!! Cranks shortly after that for sure!!

Bottom Line:
Bottom line is the bike is amazing and with the upgrades that I have plannned for it I see many years to enjoy with it!!!

Favorite Trail:   rocky poiny ny

Purchased At:   bikes&boards selden

Similar Products Used:   I used the 2010 DB overdrive and after 1 season of trail riding it started fallen apart oh and the frame cracked where the seat post goes!!! Never again for a DB

Bike Setup:   The bike is a perfect entry level. Xc bike that can hang with bikes that are $300 more

Submitted by IceBullit a Weekend Warrior from Greeley CO, USA

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2012

Strengths:    Good parts group for the price. The feel of the bike is solid, handles nicely on the trail, climbs well and descends well - I have not had any major issues with it so far. This is a good cross county bike and I see it serving me well on the trails for years to come.

Weaknesses:    The fork is going to be the first thing upgraded, but I was planning to do this even before purchasing the bike. I am looking at a rockshox recon silver. I think that the crank set will be next after the fork but I will just upgrade the other parts as I get the money or as they break. Nothing too major is wrong with the parts spec except for the fork - it is making a "clicking" noise after only the second ride.

Bottom Line:
For the money this is a great bike. Was thinking about saving up more money for the talon 0 but I was planning to upgrade the bike over time anyways. I like the feel of the bike - it handles well and feels solid. I look forward to getting more miles on this bike as the summer comes in. I do not regret getting this bike at all and would recommend it for an upgrade platform or as a first 29er/XC bike.

Favorite Trail:   Bobcat Ridge, Hewitt's Gulch.

Purchased At:   Roubaix Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   I tested the Gary Fisher Cobria, it felt good but I like feel of the Giant a little better (personally).

Bike Setup:   ODI grips, Wellgo platform peddles (will upgrade later), all other parts are stock.

Advise needed Trek Mamba or Giant Talon 29er 1

I have a 29er 1 Revel, taking it back and either getting the Mamba or the Talon 29er 1. Any advise on which one is a better bike? I will mostly ride street, local parks and will try my hand at more offroad trails down the road. Both are about the same price. Doing this tonight. ThanksRead More »

Giant Revel 29er 0 or 1 or Giant Talon 29er 1?

Between the Giant Revel 29er 0 or 1 or Talon 29er 1, do you recommend as an entry level bike? I plan to ride bike paths, 2 tracks/singletracks, nothing really aggressive. I'm kind of leaning towards the Revels, I'd like to keep my budget under $800. Thank youRead More »

GT Aggressor 1.0 vs. Giant Talon 29er 0

Looking to get my first bike and the GT is 330 and the Giant is 750. My question is, is the GT really that bad of a bike that I should spend more money on the Giant right of the bat? What is better for the money? Just looking to do casual riding and get outside, not any crazy downhill but at some ... Read More »

2012 Giant Anthem X 29er 2 or 2014 Giant Talon 27.5 1

Well I have narrowed my search down and was about to pull the trigger on the new Giant Talon 27.5 1 when I stumbled across an used 2012 Giant Anthem X 29er 2. Price wise they are within ~$100 of each other, Talon for $1500 w/ tax and asking price of Anthem $1600. The Anthem's owner states that it h ... Read More »

Used 2013 Talon 29er 1 or Revel 29er 0?

I haven't been on a bike in a while and haven't really done any trail riding but would like to get into it. I've been doing research on what bike to get and I've settled on either the 2013 Giant revel 29er 0 or the Giant Talon 29er 1. I might, unlikely, jump for the Talon 29er 0. I say unlikely b ... Read More »