Gary Fisher Superfly 29er Hardtail

4.41/5 (68 Reviews)

• Frame: Monocoque carbon, G2 29" Geometry
  • Wheels: Bontrager Race X Lite Scandium 29 Disc, Bontrager XR1 tires
  • Componentry: SRAM X.9 front derailleur, SRAM X.0 Redwin rear derailleur, SRAM X.0 Redwin shifters, Truvativ Noir Redwin Carbon crank, Avid Elixir CR hydraulic disc brakes
  • Suspension: Fox F29 FIT RLC, 80mm travel, custom G2 Geometry 51mm offset crown

Submitted by KaizerSozay a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2013

Strengths:    Weight, handling, geometry,components, warranty

Weaknesses:    Cracked the 2009 and the 2011 models. Stock wheel set not that great.

Bottom Line:
Bought the 2009 Superfly to replace my full suspension Trek Top Fuel. Loved everything about the bike. Then it cracked between the headset and down tube. They said this was a common issue on that frame and warrantied it. They sent me the 2011 Superfly frame. Many of the components, most notably the fork, were not compatible so more cash out of pocket. Once it was built up it was actually better then the 2009. Felt stiffer and the steering was just a tad more relaxed. This 2011 crated at the front derailleur mount as mentioned in these other reviews. The Trek rep again said that this was a known issue with this frame and that they would warranty it.

LBS told me that the replacement frame will be here in a week and that it would be the 2013 carbon Superfly Comp frame. I pointed at the 2013 Superfly Pro SL on the website and inquired why I wouldn't be getting the latest and greatest like they sent last time. He chuckled and said those frames will never see the light of day. Too many issues with the frames breaking.

Similar Products Used:   Giant Reign, Trek Top Fuel, Niner one9

Submitted by Bryan

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2012

Strengths:    Strong and lightweight could be a real pro ride for racers. Geometry works well for once when applied to a Carbon frame it makes almost no sense with aluminum engineers know what I mean. 29 wheels are super light tubeless setup.Rode some trails that used to take me much longer to cover. Front shock has lots of optiond for picky riders. Shifts with ease click of the button and BAM I am in the next gear. Total weight seems to be under 25lbs wow.Brakes are like powerfull enough for a motorcycle lol. Crank technology saves weight and has good tenil strength.

Weaknesses:    Minor issues with shifting uphill may just need some fine tuning bought this one used it is a 2009. Suprised that the Fox F29 has less than 120mm travel.

Bottom Line:
Great bike find one used unless your wealthy then 4400.00 should not be your problem haha I only paid 950.00USD for mine.

Submitted by vonpepperberry a Racer

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2012

Strengths:    very fast

Weaknesses:    poor design. Carbon cracked on the 3rd ride. See picture. Trek warranteed it, but they charged me. This wasnt a manufacturing flaw, but a design flaw, too much space on seat tube for a hardtail.

Bottom Line:
Carbon cracked on the 3rd ride. See picture. Trek warranteed it, but they charged me. This wasnt a manufacturing flaw, but a design flaw, too much space on seat tube for a hardtail. Sold the warranteed frame as soon as I could. Very disappointed in how they handled the warranty

Similar Products Used:   specialized stumpjumper

Bike Setup:   single speed, xtr brakes.

Submitted by nevillekoen1 a Weekend Warrior from doha, qatar

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2012

Strengths:    excellent gear set, really smooth. 29 inch wheels awsome, smooths the trail out and rools over obsticles. Turns fast. I am 5,11 inches and its suits me fine. Due to low mount angle bike may be suitable for all sizes.

Weaknesses:    have to watch extreme loose cornering as wheels can wash out, not great lateral traction on standard tyres. Pedal height seems low as I have bumped rocks on down stroke climbes.

Bottom Line:
Awsome bike that I hope to grow with. In fact the bike is so far ahead of my potential that I will never grow bored trying to reach the bikes limits.

Favorite Trail:   duhail

Purchased At:   skate shack

Similar Products Used:   no

Bike Setup:   two thirds to lock out setting on front shocks and 5 clicks on rear shock rebound

Submitted by Va_Dinger a Weekend Warrior from Virginia Beach, VA

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2011

Strengths:    Light, Suberb Quality, Performance

Weaknesses:    Not a fan of a aluminum brake levers on XO brakes, instead of the carbon levers. They work fine but I feel a bike in this price range should have the true XO carbon levers.

Bottom Line:
My review is for the 2011 Superfly Elite. Simply outstanding bike, without question. Light, stiff, but gives an incredible ride. I’ve experienced zero “creaking” or any other odd frame noises. It rides like a dream and the SRAM XO is the finest drive system I have never used. I strongly prefer it over XTR. I’ve heard complaints about XO/XX brakes but since this is my first disk brake bike I would not know the difference. To me the brakes are incredible.
Other than the aluminum brake levers instead of carbon XO like they should be my only complaint is that it does not say “Gary Fisher” on it except for the little “Gary Fisher Collection” signature on the top tube.

Favorite Trail:   Williamsburg Fitness Trail

Purchased At:   East Coast Bikes - N

Similar Products Used:   Fat City Cycles Yo Eddy
Proflex 856
Independent Fabrications Deluxe

Bike Setup:   Stock so far except for Bontrager riser bars, and my beloved WTB SST saddle.

Submitted by Ragr a Cross Country Rider from The Netherlands

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2011

Strengths:    I've been riding this bike (MY 2009, size XL) for more than 2 years now. I think it is a great machine. Strong points are weight, stiffness, drivebalility and geo, The SRAM X0 shifts great under any circumstance; never any hesitation.
The bike simply rolls and rolls and cornering can be done at high speed.

Weaknesses:    The Bontrager RXL wheels are not my favorite. I already broke 2 spokes, and after 1 yr the rear bearings and the freewheel had to be replaced. The made a terrible noise and had scratched the axle. And Trek gave NO warrantie. Bad!
The Bontrager parts (handlebars, tyres, wheels) are not as 'high end' as they are promised to be. Don't really like those.
Furthermore a 160mm rotor in the front is too small, I upgraded that to a 185mm rotor. In the rear the frame is too narrow to store a 2,4" tyre and NOT let it run to the front derailleur while riding the smallest blade.

Bottom Line:
I was lucky to buy this bike in a final-end-of-season-super clearing for almost half the price. Not only that but the way this bike rides, makes it a great pleasure to step on it everytime.

Favorite Trail:   Amerongen Mountains

Purchased At:   www.12gotrading.nl

Similar Products Used:   26" alu bikes. Not half as good as this one. Compared with my former bikes and with my bike-friends, I'm driving in a different league.

Bike Setup:   Standard. Changes made are 185mm rotor in front, Phil Wood Hub rear, Schwalbe RaRa tires, grips.

Submitted by climber50 a Racer from Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2011

Strengths:    hmm...

Weaknesses:    creeky, horrible matte paint, junk bb, g2 and e2 design is very janky and moves all over the place. 'light' wheels are not light weight. overpriced, fox factory 29 fox leaks oil right off the bat. flat bars? really trek? even jhk doesn't use flat bars. take lessons from your pro riders and listen to them, not just you budget.

Bottom Line:
trek cut corners big time and it shows within a test ride on the bike. very unfortunate.

Submitted by cogsmith82 a Racer from Park City, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2011

Strengths:    I'm rating a 2011 Trek Superfly. Great balance and handling, even around slow, tight switchbacks. Great climbing. Awesome descending. Very smooth ride for a hardtail. Reasonably light for a 29er in this price range. Great price.

Weaknesses:    I wish it were lighter. I have a problem. After riding the bike a few times, I found a crack in the backside of the front derailleur mount. It was just the mount. No structural integrity issues on the frame. Nevertheless, the very day my LBS/Trek dealer reported the warranty with just a photo of the crack, Trek shipped out a new frame for me, no questions asked. I was bummed out about the crack and I hope it doesn't happen again, but I was very impressed with Trek's warranty and service.

Bottom Line:
This is my first 29er after riding 26 for several years. I'm 5' 10" and technical bike handling isn't my greatest strength. I was skeptical to go 29. But man! After riding the Superfly, with it's fantastic geometry, I'll never go back to 26 again. This bike is way easier to handle than my 26 inch bikes in all situations and conditions. At just under 24lbs, it's not as light as my 22.5 lb motobecane but it rides 10x better. I'm climbing as fast if not faster and descending significantly faster. Just one thing... Please no more cracks.

Favorite Trail:   Deer Valley Hammerfest Course

Similar Products Used:   Specialized stumpjumber FSR elite. Motobecane Fly 9357.

Bike Setup:   2011 Trek Superfly Elite. Swapped out the Avid brakes with super sweet Shimano XTR brakes. Removed the Bontrager Jones XR tires and put on awesome Maxxis Crossmark tires. Running tubeless.

Submitted by neilos a Racer from White River, South Africa

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2011

Strengths:    Weight for a large 29'er.(10.3kg) frame quality, Fox F29 G2 fork. Great spec. Awesome handling.

Weaknesses:    Shocking tyres. Creaky crank.

Bottom Line:
I will never ride a 26'er hardtail again. The frame is stiff and light, perfect for racing, the handling on this 29'er absolutely rocks. Bring on the technical singletrack.The SRAM XO transmission is the most honest i've ridden (2 X 10), brakes modulate beautifully.
The entire product is awesome save the shocking Bontrager WR Jones tyres it came with. Unable to convert to tubeless and then delaminated after a week. Buy one you wont be dissapointed these GF missiles inspire confidence especially if ure over 6"

Favorite Trail:   Mankele mountainbiking

Purchased At:   Bicycle habitat NYC.

Similar Products Used:   Giant Anthems(3 models), Santa Cruz Tallboy.

Bike Setup:   Stock std, shortened stem, Schwaeble Rocket rons, racing ralphs.

Submitted by Terrible Herbst a Cross Country Rider from Omaha, NE

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2010

Strengths:    Light, fast, turning is exceptional. Decent suspension, good uphill, Great Downhill. 2011 price dropped ~grand; good value.

Weaknesses:    A little twitchy in tight, slower corners. Wide handle-bars take some getting used to, but will never switch-out now. Stock grips were a little slick and narrow for my fat hands.

Bottom Line:
I'm concerned about the complaints about the frame cracking or being weak. I am 6', 220 lbs and am pretty hard on bikes. The second day on my Superfly 100, I raced the 25 mi Fall Colorfest in the Kettle Moraine and this machine was a dream. I was making uphills that used to have me walking and sailing downhills with a new level of confidence. I heard someone make the comparison of "riding in the bike" vs. "riding on the bike" with the Superfly, I agree. I had test rode a Specialized 29" FS Aluminum on a trail before going to the SF 100 and I really prefer the geometry and cockpit of the Superfly. May just come down to personal preference when getting to this price level. Rode it on a dozen trails so far and no sign of cracks or lose joints yet.........

Favorite Trail:   Kettle Moraine SP, WI

Similar Products Used:   2000 Rocky Mountain FS, 2002 Fisher Sugar, 2010 Specialized FS 29er.

Bike Setup:   2011 Superfly 100 model, XL (21.5 "), FS. All stock with '10 Shim XTR pedals and new Bont Race Lite grips - that's all, why mess with a good thing; especially when you have no money left....

Submitted by Coondog a Cross Country Rider from St. Louis,Mo

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2010

Strengths:    Light and Fast,G2 on front fork

Weaknesses:    Plastic Frame!!! Carbon is not a reliable material especially from Trek/Gary Fisher.

Bottom Line:
WARNING-WARNING--DO NOT BUY this bike or anything carbon
from Trek/Gary Fisher ( mountain or road).Now that Gary Fisher is under the Trek umbrella they will not honor the so-called lifetime warranty!!
Originally, I bought an '08 Superfly which cracked on the upper seat stay just several weeks after purchase. They replaced with '09 frame.Rode for several months and that frame came apart on back of top tube.NO IMPACT!!Had to take bike to a Trek Dealer. Trek Corp said NO to warranty with NO EXPLANATION of why!Trek dealer was sympathetic said it was failure from inside out.If your superfly starts creaking--it's your frame starting to come apart!!I'm 58 a recreational rider that's never raced, just like having the best.BEWARE BEWARE You have been WARNED!!Calfee Designs in California is laughing all the way to the Bank !!

Favorite Trail:   Pete's Pines / Chainsaw Trail

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Annivesary Stumpjumper

Bike Setup:   Stock except for handlebar,grips,tires

Submitted by brooksd a Cross Country Rider from Alachua, Florida, USA

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2010

Strengths:    Very nice ride. A pleasure. No more 26 inchers for me.

Weaknesses:    My frame cracked under the seat post after 544 miles of medium hard use and no crashes. It got so loud it was embarassing to ride. The dealer replaced it with no problem, but the new frame is no better. I am continually lubricating and tightening and loctiting every damn bearing I can find. I am so depressed. GF and Trek know they have a problem too. My LBS has been great and they are upset too.

Bottom Line:
Best to avoid this bike I am afraid unless you are deaf. It has one sweet ride but the frame is garbage I am afraid. GF and Trek should know better. Trek's quality control is lacking on this bike. I know one guy that is on his third frame and I am taking mine back tomorrow.

Favorite Trail:   San Felasco

Purchased At:   Trek Dealer

Submitted by q a Cross Country Rider from Vienna, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2010

Strengths:    -light
-great components

Weaknesses:    -G2 Geometry is too twitchy
-creaking (now resolved, but it was annoying as $#@%)

Bottom Line:
I didn't have a great first impression of this bike. I was very hyped about it and dropped a cool $2.75G for this carbon bike, but when I actually rode it, it was less than spectacular.
First, the G2 geometry was way too twitchy compared to the Raleigh XXIX that I was use to. There is very little counter steering required even at fast speed, which for me made it less enjoyable. In slow speed, it seemed even more twitchier.
On my 3rd outing on this bike, the dreaded "creaking" that everyone talks about started happening. It sounded like I was riding an old wooden furneture around the trail. Very embarrasing and annoying to say the least.
I eventually resolved this issue by doing the following:
1. tightened the chain ring. (I don't think this was the issue. The creaking was still there after I tried this)
2. reinstalling the BB with extra grease + Teflon plumber's tape. (Yup, you read right. Recommend by my LBS)-(This also wasn't the solution as the creaking was still there loud n clear)
3. tighten the rear cassette. It was set to 40 Nm, but I gave it a small tweak nonetheless. (My LBS would hate me if I told them this). I've read a previous review state the creaking coming from the hub. I didn't believe it as the sound seemed to be coming from the BB area, but I think what was happening was that the sound was resonating through the carbon frame and making it sound like it was from the BB. Tightening the cassette magically fixed the creaking issue.
I hope this helps anyone who's also having this issue.

Before resolving this, I was ready to toss this frame and get a Niner Air9, but I'm willing to give this frame a second chance.
Hell, I might even try getting use to riding the G2 geometry.

Favorite Trail:   Wakefield