Gary Fisher Sugar 293 29er Hardtail

4.38/5 (8 Reviews)
MSRP : $2089.99

Frame
Platinum Series ZR9000 double-butted aluminum | Genesis 29" Geometry | b*link suspension

Wheels
Bontrager Race 29", disc specific wheelsystem w/OSB rear | Bontrager ACX 29x2.2 folding tires

Suspension
RockShox Reba Race Dual Air 29 | External rebound, external floodgate, external compression and lockout, Butted aluminum steerer | 80mm travel

Componentry
SRAM X.9 rear derailleur + SRAM X-7 Trigger 1:1 shifters + Shimano Deore front derailleur | Shimano LX crank | Avid BB7 mechanical disc w/Avid FR5 levers brakes | Shimano M520 clipless pedals

Sizes
SM (16") | MD (17.5") | LG (19") | XL (21") | (Sizing)

Color(s)
Black

Submitted by KPduty a Cross Country Rider from Tampa

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2009

Strengths:    Light weight overall for a 29er, great traction, rolls and rolls and rolls....

Weaknesses:    Heavy wheelset (over 2000g), low-ish bottom bracket

Bottom Line:
This bike is comes stock at about 28.5 lbs with many upgradable parts so making it raceworthy is not difficult. This thing rocks and rolls.....all of the 29er advantages are here with very little weight penalty.

Favorite Trail:   Alafia

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   HiFi 29er (demo only), Sugar 2, Trek Liquid

Bike Setup:   Upgades over stock: Stans 355 29er wheelset, Easton carbon bar and seatpost, Selle Italia saddle

Submitted by Keith a Weekend Warrior from Land O Lakes, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2008

Strengths:    Cornering, Climbing, Roll Over Ability, FAST, Very Stable!

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I got back into riding a few years ago after a 10 year absence. I started out with the standard 26 inch bikes. I never totally felt comfortable on them even though I would consider myself an intermediate rider. I do a lot of XC and AM riding here. A friend of mine mentioned to me about the benefits of the 29ers for a guy my size (6 '2'). After some research I decided to buy a GF 293. This has definitely been the best bike purchase I've made. I never slide out on turns anymore like I did with my Enduro. I can hit turns so much faster and stay hooked up. The climbing difference is dramatic. I'm able to make climbs that I was never able to make on my Enduro. This bike has improved my riding dramatically and for a bigger guy the 29er benefits are the real deal. I can really never see myself going back to a 26 inch bike and frankly I don't see the need to upgrade to a higher end 29er. Buy this Bike!!!!

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Enduro, Diamondback XSL, GT

Bike Setup:   Stock 2006 Gary Fisher 293

Submitted by Socialed a Cross Country Rider from Waynesboro, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2008

Strengths:    Climbing, climbing, climbing, Roll over ability, light weight, stable and balanced ride

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
This bike weights in at 28.4 and climbs like mad!!! I've been riding a 2004 Sugar for the past year and have always struggled and been in the back of the pack on it. On the 293, I am much faster on climbs and can do climbs that I couldn't on the 26' Sugar. Those who knock the 29er simply haven't tried it. It is faster, rolls better, goes over everything, rails corners, and climbs like a mountain goat on crack!!! So far I absolutely love it and it has caused the 4 guys I ride with to all want one. One guy is getting a Paragon on Monday, another is looking to sell his 26' hifi, and the other is just wishing he could upgrade simply from riding the 29' wheels. If you can make the change, then by all means do it. You won't regret it!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Super Sweet

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Sugar, Gary Fisher HIFI

Bike Setup:   2008 Reba Race w/Poploc, X0 Rear Derailleur, Deore Front Derailleur, X7 Shifters, LX Crank, XTR Cassette, Avid 7 Disc brakes, X-lite Race rims, Stans No tubes, X-lite Race Saddle, Race stem and Handlebars, Cane Creek Solos Headset, and Specialized Captain front tire with WTB Nano Raptor on Rear.

Submitted by Jason a Weekend Warrior from south mountain, pa

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2007

Strengths:    This review is for the 2006 GF Sugar 293. This bike climbs like a mountain goat on crack. It is super plush with plenty of travel front and rear. Cockpit design is tip-top!

Weaknesses:    The only thing worth mentioning is that the wheels needed to be true'd up after the first ride...since then I've had 0 problems.

Bottom Line:
If you can find a 2006 scoop it up. I've read complaints about the component setup, but I've had 0 issues...even if I do have issues in the future, they are just components and can be replaced. You can find these complete for the same price as the frame alone from Specialized, Intense, etc

Similar Products Used:   GFSuper Caliber/Caliber, Kona Kula 29er, Kona Unit 29er, Spider 29, etc...

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Michael a Racer from Berkeley, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2007

Strengths:    Despite being a single-pivot frame the rear suspension works quite well even with the stock float r shock. Geometry is comfortable for my body size. The cockpit is not cramped and the bike feels reasonably balanced fore and aft.

Weaknesses:    Despite my comment regarding how balanced the frame is the rear end tends to get a bit light under braking.
I don't know what Fisher was thinking when they designed this frame without cable stops at the front of the frame. Monumentally dumb omission.

Bottom Line:
I bought this frame just to try the 29-inch thing. I'm really liking this bike, it's become my main winter training rig. (Oh, and I have a GF rig ss now, too. Which I really love.)

I'm 6 foot, 180lbs. It's a 19" frame and fits me really well.

The wheelbase is longer than my 26-inch wheeled bikes but that's as expected. It's not so long that it's a problem on the trail, I don't notice it. The bike handles very well and rolls so fast and quiet. Fisher got the geometry of the front end right as it takes tight turns very well. I've ridden it on tight, fast singletrack without any issues. I can tell that the bigger wheels put my center of gravity higher, but that's not something to expect from any 29-inch bike.

As I mention above, the rear tends to get a little light during hard braking. There have been times when I've felt the rear almost wanting to come around on turns, but I'm adjusting/adapting to accommodate this, just gotta keep the weight a little more to the rear. I think that an adjustable-height seatpost (gravity dropper or maverick speedball) is in order for this frame. That will allow me to get my weight back on the descents, though it will take the weight of the bike over 30lbs...sigh

For a single-pivot frame it behaves very well. No discernible rear-end suspension movement when climbing -- seated or standing. I'm not sure if this is due to the frame or the shock or the combination of the two. It's enough suspension to take the edge off and that's all I wanted. Set-up is as simple as getting the right amount of sag out of the shock.

I've seen commentary regarding tire clearance on various 29-inch frames. I'm running the 2.3 panaracer rampage tire on both of my 29-inch bikes (an absolutely brilliant tire) and have plenty of clearance. I should add that I've not ridden in sloppy, muddy conditions so don't know how the clearance would be if the tires collected some mud. But there's plenty of daylight between front and rear tire and frame/fork, such that I wouldn't hesitate taking it out in the mud.

Who should buy this bike/frame? Anyone wanting to experiment with a 29-inch f/s rig who doesn't want to spend a fortune. Mine came together quite nicely for not a lot of dough. Find a used frame and build away. Though you'll have to buy those freakin' stick-on cable guides for your housing/brake lines. I still can't believe they consciously chose to omit cable guides from the front of the frame. WTF?

Who shouldn't buy it? Weight weenies. Money-is-no-object bike snobs. There may be lighter and more blingy frames out there, for certain, but for the money I've spent, I am quite pleased with the quality of the ride of this frame.

Bottom line: a very capable, comfortable f/s bike that -- except for the cable guide issue -- will get you out and rolling on big wheels and won't break the bank.

I wish I could give it a 4.5 overall rating, it may sound petty but the cable guide thing just bugs the crap out of me...it just can't be called "outstanding" with an oversight like that.

Favorite Trail:   Downieville

Purchased At:   used

Similar Products Used:   No other 29-inch frames but a number of full-suspension 26-inch wheeled bikes including: blur, nrs, 5 spot, nomad, specialized fsr, and bullit.

Bike Setup:   Sub-30 lbs., but just barely. Reba race, Xt, X0 & X9, easton, thompson, dtswiss, hope, ti bolts everywhere...

Submitted by Yukon a Weekend Warrior from Portland, ME

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2006

Strengths:    The best deal going for a F/S 29er. Buy it - ride it. Now that it's setup correctly for me it rolls the technical, flows the corners, and buzz bombs tote roads.

Weaknesses:    Most of the Bontrager components. Yet this is what makes it an affordable F/S 29er. The 28 hole wheelset was not properly tensioned, and would've folded upon first big impact.

Bottom Line:
The thought of building up a frame from scratch scared my wallet into the reality that today most good components are way too expensive. For me the key was to buy a bike and get out riding. After I tuned the bike, tensioned and trued the wheels, I've been out enjoying it, and am replacing the parts I dislike. Riser bars on a 29er just didn't feel right. Now I have a light bike that rides sweet and didn't cost me my left nut.

Similar Products Used:   This is my first 29er, yet being a former shop rat I've owned some nice mt bikes. (Cannondale, Specialized, Salsa)

Bike Setup:   To date: Thomson S/P, Hope S/P clamp, Selle Italia seat, Race Face Deus stem, Control Tech Scandium flat bars, Eggbeater SL pedals, Salsa skewers, Michelin airlight tubes, Kenda Klaw XT's, XT cassette. (26.5 lbs)

Submitted by Jason a Cross Country Rider from Tucson, Az, USA

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2006

Strengths:    Extremely plush ride, climbs incredibly well, and it rolls over anything.

Weaknesses:    Rear triangle has a little flex.

Bottom Line:
I love 29ers, and have back problems, so I wanted to go FS. Fisher's were the only FS 29ers in my budget, and I think they are a great deal. Had I had more money, I would have gone with a lenz leviathan, or ventana el capitan, but I really love my bike. I bought it used and stock except the fork. I had some good components around the shop, and got a deal on some used parts here. The only issue I have with this bike with the current set-up is that the rear end has some flex when I'm really pushing hard. It isn't bad, and should probably be expected with my size (235lbs), but I still wish it were stiffer. On the few rides I put it through before the upgrades, there was excessive chain slap. I am not sure which of the upgraded components solved the problem, but it is fine now. Also the stock stem allowed for lots of flex even before the extra wide bars. I think two clamp bolts just isn't enough. Overall a good bike if you want a plush ride on a 29er, and one of the best 29er values out there.

Favorite Trail:   unpaved

Purchased At:   e-bay

Similar Products Used:   Paragon, Karate Monkey

Bike Setup:   sram X.0 shift/der, juicy 7 brakes, american classic wheelset, marzochi marathon fork, thompson seatpost, brooks saddle, race face deus stem, extra wide low rise bars.

Submitted by Cosmic a Racer from Seattle

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2006

Strengths:    Bought to get into 29er's knowing I would do a complete remake by the time I raced it, which I did. The BIG wheels just ROOOOLLL! Don't knock 'em till you try!

Weaknesses:    I replaced the shock, fork, wheels, brakes, stem, bars, crank, shifting. Actually, only kept the frame by the time it hit a track. That said, I haven't had ANY problem with the frame in 3 years!

Bottom Line:
Once I dropped a fortune into this Fisher, it's a VERY competative racer. I actually won a class @ Sea Otter, and raced the Xterra Triathlon World's with it too, not to mention several Nationals and Mammoth. I can't really impress how fantastic a climber a 29er is, you simply have to try it. The weight penalty {2~3 lbs} is very much overcome by the bigger wheels "roll-over" capability, though a small rider may feel less enthusiastic than my 170 lbs. I'd REALLY like to try a Titus X 29er........the big wheel concept is proven to me, but less weight is ALWAYS better. As far as a Fisher 29er, a great value that is like all stock bikes, in need of per$onalization!

Similar Products Used:   Many, many bikes over the years. I'm 50.

Bike Setup:   5th Element stable platform, Reba Race fork, Stronglight Magma crank {adjustable between 170 and 175mm}, Stans rims, hugi hubs, ti cassette, carbon bars, Hope mini brakes, ti skewers and dropper seatpost with a trick SMP seat, egg beaters, Sram XO D's and twisters, and carbon bar!

Is this worrisome? Little cracks on GF Sugar 293 seatstay

Hi, I recently acqired this 03 or 04 GF Suagar 293. It has these little cracks where the carbon turns into the metal that clamps to the main pivot. Are these anything to worry about, or are they trivial? I have no clue, so any help is appreciated. ThanksRead More »

[X-Post GF forum] 2006 Sugar 293 geometry ?

Nothing on the Trek/GF actual website. Googled but without success. That's for a XL one (black paint). If somebody have that ... :thumbsup: Thks a lot.Read More »

2006 Sugar 293 Geometry ?

Nothing on the Trek/GF actual website. Googled but without success. That's for a XL one (black paint). If somebody have that .. :thumbsup:Read More »

Sugar 293 rear suspension torque specs and lube/grease?

My rear suspension is creaking and squeaking so I'm assuming something needs lubed up or at least cleaned but I can't find the torque specs or what kind if any lube I should use.Read More »

2003 Sugar 293 fork replacement

The Marzocchi MX-Pro 29 w/ETA that came on the bike has given up the ghost. What's a good replacement that I can get fairly inexpensively (as I'm saving pennies for a new bike)? I tossed the Vbrakes for Juicy 7s a few years ago so it only needs mounts for that disk setup. I've never replaced a ... Read More »