Gary Fisher Mamba 29er Hardtail

4.11/5 (18 Reviews)

• Frame: Platinum Series 6066 butted & hydroformed aluminum, cold-forged dropouts, G2 29" Geometry
  • Wheels: Shimano M65 hubs, Bontrager Ranger Disc 29 rims, Bontrager 29-3 tires
  • Componentry: Shimano Deore front derailleur, SRAM SX4 Long Cage rear derailleur, SRAM SX4 shifters, Shimano Acera crank, Shimano BR-M416 mechanical disc brakes
  • Suspension: RockShox Dart 3 29, 80mm travel, custom G2 Geometry 51mm offset crown

Submitted by firstinfire a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2012

Strengths:    Frame, Brakes, No toe overlap

Weaknesses:    wheels, coil fork

Bottom Line:
I test rode 4 different bikes in this category including giant talon, felt 9 comp, cannondale trail 2. I had toe overlap problems with all of them except the mamba. What can I say, I like platform pedals. I'm 6'4 220lbs and size 12 shoe. The bike also handled much more predictable to me. The brakes work outstanding. No noise whatsoever. Would like to have air shock, but you can't have everything for $849+tax.

Submitted by Zak Wilson

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2012

Strengths:    I've logged over 1000 miles on this bike so I know it inside and out. The bikes geometry fits me perfectly and it gives me confidence to really dig into turns and muscle through technical sections. Being a 29er, the bike rolls over obstacles like its nobody's business. Climbing on this bike is fairly efficient and it grips very nicely with the upgraded tires I put on it. Aesthetically, I have a red and black colour scheme going on and it looks absolutely bad ass !

Weaknesses:    The Mamba I received had a 590 some odd millimeter handlebar and I instantly swapped it for a much more appropriate 700mm low riser. As previously stated I swapped for tires that were more appropriate for the muddy conditions of southern ontario. Major weakness is the front fork but for the value what would you expect. I've had it repaired 4 times and I'm now without a cap for my lockout (perhaps I'm too hard on it?). The brakes were initially squeeky but some fine tuning will do the trick. I also swapped for a lower angled raceface stem for better handling and now it is a singletrack speed demon. The drivetrain system is holding it's own but in the future I will probably swap for a 2x10 or 1x11 system.

Bottom Line:
Being my first mountain bike, and having ridden various full suspension bikes, I'm very happy with this hardtail and I really do think it's a great bike for it's relatively low price. Gary Fisher 29er hardtails have a common frame so the only thing separated the mamba from better quality paragon is the components which can easily be swapped for once you feel the need. Overall a great beginner hardtail. If this doesn't get you stoked on riding what will?

Submitted by Jwack a Weekend Warrior from Salem

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2011

Strengths:    Great geometry that works well with the 29er wheels. I would never go back to a 26er and I encourage anybody else who still rides a 26er to make the change. I suprise myself every time I ride. For the money you pay for this bike is good. Another couple hundred in upgrades and your styling. Sweet and simple.

Weaknesses:    Get rid of the 15 degree handlebar, it feel wrong and its harsh on your elbows. If u plan on going number 2 with in 24 hrs throw the seat away asap and go with a WTB. A new stem will also be needed for a more weight up front and period and a sentance go with diffrent tires. Kenda Small blocks worked wonders for me.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the money, it just needs a few upgrades for the serious rider who wants to keep costs around a grand. Hope trek doesnt kill the gary fisher name.

Favorite Trail:   Dog Town

Purchased At:   700

Similar Products Used:   notta

Bike Setup:   race set up for what I could do with this bike

Submitted by swansog a Weekend Warrior from Prior Lake, Mn, Scott

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2011

Strengths:    It's a 29er!

Weaknesses:    Weight, components, breaks, handlebars, pedals

Bottom Line:
the 29er is just an incredible wheel. Totally awesome going over everything. Just save your money and get the next best bike. This one is too heavy, and those curved forward handlebars need to be thrown in the garbage.

Favorite Trail:   Lebanon

Purchased At:   amazon

Similar Products Used:   this is my first 29er

Submitted by BigWheeler a Cross Country Rider from Japan

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2011

Strengths:    The Mamba is a great choice for those looking for a hard tail bike. The lock out shocks make up hill peddling sweet. The 29'ers roll over everything and give the bike plenty of speed on the down slopes.

Weaknesses:    Parts are a bit cheap but so far seem to be holding out ok.
Upgrades will be necessary for more hard core riders.

Bottom Line:
The Mamba 29'er is my first 29'er bike. I have to say I'll stick with this tires for a long time to come. I like trail riding with technical terrain and I like long cross country trips. This bike performs very well on both. I thought at first that I was too top heavy for technical riding but that was quickly resurrected when I got on the trail. Again, these big tires roll over everything. I strongly recommend this bike.

Similar Products Used:   Had a Mamba 10 years ago. Liked it then, love it now.

Submitted by bmook a Weekend Warrior from Stevens Point, WI

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2011

Strengths:    Frame, 29er, Handling

Weaknesses:    brakes, bottom bracket, tires, front derailer

Bottom Line:
The bike is good not great. I'm really happy with the handling of the bike. It handles better than my 26er Wahoo. The tires are awful and not from a traction basis. I never got a chance to test that. I had a slow leak in the rear within a month then got a puncture a month later. The bottom bracket was creaking in the first month and now it's shot so I'm installing and LX crankset and bottom bracket. The brakes aren't great, but better brakes won't help me go faster so I'm ok with them for now. I do like the sram shifting, but the Deore front derailer rubs the chain a lot and it's difficult to prevent. Great for entry 29er and actually turns faster than my Wahoo did.

Favorite Trail:   Standing Rocks

Purchased At:   Campus Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Wahoo, Marlin

Bike Setup:   Stock with lock on grips, External BB to come, continental in the rear

Submitted by zacs 29er a Downhiller from gettysburg pa

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2011

Strengths:    rolls forever its my first 29er. climbs easy,

Weaknesses:    front fork dosent want to stay tight. pedals to small and cheap, return to yor dealer to get fork to stay tight and fixed. they had to order me a hole new front fork componets to get it to stay tight. back tire should be same size as the front. its way to small.

Bottom Line:
the bottom line is its a good bike for the price. and i will be buying another 29er in the future

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   gettysburg bike and

Similar Products Used:   treck 4500

Submitted by AceV a Cross Country Rider from Just East of Dallas, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2011

Strengths:    29'er - rolls over things with relative ease that a 26" wheeled bike would make you feel bad about hitting. Comfy saddle.

Weaknesses:    The brakes SUCK. Although I may be spoiled by the Juicy 7's on my FS Cannondale...My hands got tired after an hour or so or having to squeeze the snot out of them to get the bike to stop.

Bottom Line:
The majority of the trails I ride are better suited to hardtails and I found that I had to lock out the rear shock to even attempt to climb most of the hills around here. I decided that if I was going to go back to a HT it was going to be a 29'er.

Having ridden my Cannondale Rush 5Z for a couple of years prior I realize now that I should've been on a 29'er all along. I'm 6'2" and weigh about 240 so a 26" wheeled bike feels like a little kid's bike compared to this.

However - I have been spolied by my Cannondale's Fox 120 RL fork, SRAM X-9 rear derailleur, SRAM X-7 trigger shifters, and ESPECIALLY the Juicy 7's (I added them to the Cannondale).

The Dart 3 seems to be OK, but I haven't really pushed it yet. Lockout works but the fork feels a little mushy at times and is quite HEAVY at around 5-6 lbs.

The brakes SUCK. I can't stress that enough. I can get going a lot faster on this bike than my Cannondale Rush and these brakes are NOT up to the task of slowing me down quickly enough.

I'm already hunting hydraulic replacement brakes (Elixir R's are at the top of the list), a SRAM X-9 rear derailleur (already ordered), an X-7 or X-9 front derailleur, new shifters (X-9's most likely), and DEFINITELY a new fork - probably a Fox with 100mm of travel and remote lock out.

I'm only giving it 4 chilis because I feel the components on the bike aren't the greatest...they'll work for a newbie, but for someone who's ridden bikes with higher quality stuff they won't cut the mustard. And oh yeah...the brakes SUCK.

I would strongly caution you to NOT try a 29'er unless you're willing to never go back to a 26" wheeled bike. Small uphills that I struggled to climb on my FS Cannondale are absolutely a breeze on the Mamba. And every bump feels smaller on a 29'er...

If you're 6'+ and 200+ lbs and are currently on a 26" bike - SELL IT and get a 29'er, you won't regret it.

Favorite Trail:   Rowlett Creek

Purchased At:   Used (forum)

Similar Products Used:   GF Marlin (26"), Cannondale Rush 5Z (not similar but my previous bike)

Bike Setup:   Stock as it comes from GF with the exception of a Stan's tubeless conversion and Continental Mountain King 2.2's

Submitted by orestespd5 a Weekend Warrior from anderson indiana

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2010

Strengths:    Good strong bike. Takes tight turns great.1st 29er and dont think ill ever go back.

Weaknesses:    Stock. Tires are a little small 29x2.1, fork could be a little better

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the money! Worth upgrading and keeping for many years

Favorite Trail:   ridgeline trails

Purchased At:   kirks munice indiana

Similar Products Used:   Giant warp ds3

Bike Setup:   Stock with wider tires 29x2.3

Submitted by pecsokak a Weekend Warrior from Richmond, VA

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2010

Strengths:    all the typical of a 29er

Weaknesses:    fork seems to loose, components are alright

Bottom Line:
I just got this bike a week ago, and really like it. The fork is very nice, but I wish I could get it a bit tighter. the lockout works great. Shifting is relatively smooth. love the 29er so far and am probably going to stick with them from here on

Purchased At:   Agees bikes

Submitted by AndrewMiller a Weekend Warrior from Pinehurst ,NC, Moore

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2010

Strengths:    Gets up to speed pretty quick, great geometry, life time warranty on the frame.

Weaknesses:    Could have came with a better fork but it gets the job done.

Bottom Line:
Great product for the price. Rode a little over 254 miles so far so I can't give a full blown review but the bike has been good to me and a blast to ride so far. I wasn't familiar with the stock brakes so I threw on some BB7's and they work great with the stock rotors. My last bike that I,ve rode for the past 7 years was a Fuji Sunfire. So this is my first time with a 29er and disk brakes and it's awesome beyond belief. The mamba frame is the same as the other fisher 2010 29ers so it's deff. worthy of upgrades down the road. I love the geometry of this bike along with the chi red color. Hard to go wrong with this one!

Favorite Trail:   Uwharrie

Purchased At:   Rainbow Cycles

Bike Setup:   2010 mamba with BB7's and white Ergon race grips

Submitted by brim a Weekend Warrior from st louis

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2010

Strengths:    Everything

Weaknesses:    Seat, handlebars

Bottom Line:
Great bike, I feel like I can go anywhere. My first 29er and I will never go back!! I am a GF fan, I think for price this a great deal on a 29er.

Favorite Trail:   Lost Valley