Gary Fisher Ferrous 29 29er Hardtail

• Saddle: Bontrager Select
  • Seatpost: Bontrager Select

Submitted by Jeff Johnson a Cross Country Rider from AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2010

Strengths:    Smooth, tech climber, Sweet!! but now disconn item?, Trek? is dad w/ wallet I guess?

Weaknesses:    It will not fit on my rack the best, racks fault - not bike, this bike rocks!!!!

Bottom Line:
I can handle tech diff trail sections I never thought I would ever be able to get over and through!! Sweet 29

Favorite Trail:   Tr 100, S Mtn, Pima n Dynamite

Purchased At:   Flat Tire Cave Cree

Similar Products Used:   GF Montare sp? frame cracked, GF gave me this on lifetime warranty on other frame, You Rock Gary!!

Bike Setup:   Tech cross country, riser bars, not single sp, xt, mostly Bont equip, WTB tires, Cane Creek

Submitted by Rruvalcaba1988 a Weekend Warrior from Salinas, CA

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2010

Strengths:    A strong bike with great parts. Also a head turner at the Sea Otter Classic were I took 6th out of 36 in my first trail race thanks to this bike.

Weaknesses:    Haven't had any problems yet.

Bottom Line:
A bike that needs nothing but to be taken to the trails.

Favorite Trail:   Goats trail

Purchased At:   Bobcat Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   My first bike since my baby Sesame Street bike and wagon.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for the Lizard Skin Peaty grips I switched out for.

Submitted by homeless junkie a Weekend Warrior from Baltimore

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2010

Strengths:    Great all round package, handles great, rolls over stuff well so you don't miss a rear shock, great bike for the money

Weaknesses:    The seat, wheels, tires, grips and the pedals. The Ferrous needs lock on grips, stronger wheelset but the tires are great when it's dry. The pedals are personal issue of mine I didn't have any problem with the seatstays on my 21" frame. I'm lucky I guess

Bottom Line:
I like riding my Ferrous. The tires are horrible in the mud but I don't ride that bike when it's wet. Didn't really shop around for a 29er so can't tell you that it's better than anything else. I demoed a Paragon for a couple of days then decided to buy the Ferrous cause it was steel. Both bikes are great!

Favorite Trail:   the river

Purchased At:   Joe's Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher paragon

Bike Setup:   The bike shop let me swap out the Hayes for Elixer CR's, swapped out the crank bros with a set of SPD pedals I had laying around my garage

Submitted by jim a Weekend Warrior from Ellisville, MO

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2010

Strengths:    i ride the bike over a thousand miles a year, it is very comfortable,and fast, 29ers love.I try not to drive when riding so i ride to the trails then go crazy......

Weaknesses:    used to love the wide bars, but now i wish they were about 1 inch shorter on each side,brakes seam like front gets worped easily

Bottom Line:
the Ferrous has been a great bike for me..

Favorite Trail:   Castlewood, state park

Purchased At:   alpine shop

Bike Setup:   all factory set up,rock shock RE-3A,Sram X-9,crank Bontrager,29 Bontrager race wheels,Avid brakes with cables

Submitted by Kazamer a Downhiller from Calgary Canada

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2009

Strengths:    decent weight(26lbs), easy ss conversion, looks great, fox fork, good price

Weaknesses:    wide stays( not a big problem), hayes brakes, 80mm travel

Bottom Line:
having rode two other very similar bikes I can say with out any doubt, that at a fraction of the cost the fisher Ferrous is a winner. the frame is a comfortable fit, I am 5 10 and its a 17.5( I can fit on the new rig in a 19, but I like this better) the ride of the steal frame is cush, yet quick and responsive at the same time. the addition of a wider handle bar has made all the difference in powering up climbs. The traction has always been there. descending , the Ferrous is confidence inspiring, coming from a mostly DH back ground that makes a big difference to me in how much I will like a bike. I have ridden other Genesis bike and haven't found them to be nearly as much fun as the ferrous. I really like the set up of the chain tension, quick and easy. TWo thumbs up for the fisher Ferrous. this is a great bike for any one who wants to try a 29er or a SS. I used the parts off of the ferrous to build up a second bike...what a great deal.

Favorite Trail:   fish creek

Purchased At:   Pure Cycle

Similar Products Used:   salsa ss29er, Spot ss29er

Bike Setup:   SS, bonty duster wheels, kenda tires 2.2 nevegal F 1.9 Kara r, truvativ hussafelt world cup bar(28inch wide, 1 inch rise), avid ultimate brakes, WTB silverado seat, hollow tech2 crank, f29 fork

Submitted by Ilan123 a Cross Country Rider from Israel

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2009

Strengths:    Steel, geometry, components, comfort, fox fork, colour(black).

Weaknesses:    Cant honestly say that I found anything major but if pressed I don't think the hayes brakes are at the same level as the rest of the components,It is not as light as I hoped it would be but it does not feel heavy and climbs like a mountain goat so who cares. Had the fork travel extended to 100mm after 2 weeks of riding and that basically solved my only gripe, its smooth as silk now.
Price is scandelous in this country but that is not the bikes fault.

Bottom Line:
The bike has been exceeding my expectations from day one and seems to be getting better every day.
I'm short(5'4) and this is the only 29er I felt comfortable on, it looks amazing, handles great and the steel frame seems to absorb almost anything, and in combination with the big wheels has made the transfer from full suspension to hard tail no problem at all.
I cant say I like the hayes brakes that much, they look good and do the job but are noisy and feel rough, in retrospect I would have upgraded to XT's or something along those lines but it's not that big of an issue.
Overall highly recomended

Favorite Trail:   Love them all

Similar Products Used:   My first 29" and my first hardtail!!previous ride was
a Rocky mountain ETSX and I don't regret the move.

Bike Setup:   Stock 2009 Ferrous 29 except XT crank and locking grips

Submitted by Reign Lau a Weekend Warrior from Macau SAR, China

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2009

Strengths:    29er, Steel frame, light bontrager components, geometry

Weaknesses:    The weight (29lbs)
The Hayes brakes are still terrible.
The frame looks weak.
Bontrager tires are 29X2.1 but I measured it is more wider than Specialized Enduro 26X2.3!

Bottom Line:
This is my first 29er and it is the first 29er in Macau. I'm just 170cm tall but it is still suitable for me (17.5" frame). The bigger wheels give me more stablity on mountains and it is too easy riding to higher speed. Tires and tubes I have to purcahse a lot form other countries.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   Wing Lei bicycles

Similar Products Used:   2007 Giant XTC Team with Mavic Speedcity wheelsets and Maxxis Wormdrive 700X42C tires

Bike Setup:   Stock except the SLX Crankset and XT Cassette.

Submitted by David Campbell a Cross Country Rider from San Diego Ca.

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2009

Strengths:    Low Cost Steel Frame

Weaknesses:    The rear end of this frame is all screwed up! The seat stays are so wide it's hard not to hit them with every spin.But the chain stays are so narrow that a Jones XR 2.2 all most touches.But the crack arms just clear the frame ???

Bottom Line:
I will not be riding this frame much longer and don't recomend any one buy one.Hitting the seat stay with the inside of my heel got old very fast and none of the good things about this frame over comes this.It never dawned on me that this could ever be a problom it never has been on any bike I have owned.

Favorite Trail:   Joe's Ridge/Zippety Do Da

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Kona Unit

Bike Setup:   S/S Reba Race Stans ZTR Arch rims with King hubs Salsa bars Moots stem and post Magura Marta SL White cranks and B/B

Submitted by azpoolguy a Cross Country Rider from Glendale,AZ,USA

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2009

Strengths:    Steel Frame,Color,Handling.

Weaknesses:    Rear tire clearence.

Bottom Line:
This frames ride quaility is Amazing! I figured it would ride better than my Rig but not this much better. I wanted a Niner but couldnt bring my self to spend that much money for a frame. The handling and ride are light years better than their Aluminum frames. I always felt like the Rig was pushing the front end in the corners and never had the confidence to rail corners. The Ferrous inspires confidence to puch the pace faster amd faster every where I ride.

Favorite Trail:   To many to list.

Purchased At:   Purchased frame from

Similar Products Used:   '06 Fisher Rig

Bike Setup:   '07 Frame And Reba Race Fork, Ryhtm Elite Wheels,Rampage Front, XDX Rear, Wadesters Homebrew Tire Sealant, Juicy 5 Brakes,X-9 Gears and Trigger Shifter Running 1x9, Bontrager ACC Post, Sunline V-1 OS Bars, RaceFace Atlas Cranks.

Submitted by ppfeifer a Cross Country Rider from Northern Virginia

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2009

Strengths:    Sweet Fox F29 fork, Great X.9 Transmission, Hayes Stroker Trail SL's and most importantly Steel!!!

Weaknesses:    Maybe the Bontrager Rhythm Wheels. The jury is still out on these. Also, the stock XDX tires are not a good all around tire for Virginia. See if you can work a deal with your LBS to trade these out. The clear coat isn't very tough either.

Bottom Line:
This is absolutely the best steel 29er value out there. You would have to be an Ebay magician to put a better bike together for less.

Handling- 5 Chilis
Climbing- 5 Chilis
Descending- 4 Chilis (full suspension bikes are faster IMO)
Ergos- 5 Chilis
Fun- 5 Chilis

This bike doesn't need G2 geometry. It turns on a dime and is stable going down hill. If you are on the fence about this bike.....jump. This is a great ride. If I only had one bike it would be my Ferrous. Did I mention that I love the black paint job?

Favorite Trail:   Quantico

Purchased At:   THE BIKE LANE

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Superfly, Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe 29er, Trek 69er, Specialized Rockhopper

Bike Setup:   Maxxis Ardent 2.25 (with Stan's) up front, Maxxis Crossmark out back, XT crank, Crank Brother Candy SL's, Easton XC low rise carbon bar, ODI rogue lock-on grips.

Submitted by beardedstealth a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2009

Strengths:    29 inch wheels, Hayes brakes, SRAM X-9, Fox fork

Weaknesses:    Poor welds

Bottom Line:
I have only had the bike for 3 months, so not ready to expound on the details of handling, geometry, etc. However, I did feel compelled to let people know that the water bottle cage braze-on weld broke tonight with almost no force. The bolt is now stuck in a braze-on that is spinning inside the frame. Now, you might say this doesn't seem like a big deal, but a $2k steel frame bike in which they can't even properly weld a braze-on?

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Bike Setup:   Stock setup with the additions of Syncros pedals.

Submitted by David Hewes a Racer from Baltimore

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2009

Strengths:    Steel frame is very quick, light and responsive. Great simple graphics (unlike most fisher models). Perfect geometry. Gives the illusion of a softail. Comes with both derailleuer hangers for conversions. Full X9 drivetrain-if you are going to use them. Race heels are not the lightest, but will last forever.

Weaknesses:    Seatstays are waaaay too wide. Very cheesy select saddle and seatpost. Dry X tires are exactly for the intended use. Not a smart choice as a stock tire. Unless you live in the soutwest. When it is dry, they are very fast. Your shop (Kenda Karma) should allow (Kenda Karma) for swap for (Kenda Karma) something else(Kenda Karma). You should get the Karma's.

Bottom Line:
Converted mine to SS right away-If you are looking for the ultimate 29er SS, this is it. The geometry is perfect-Does not have the G2 geometry, but handles better without it. I had a fuel 100 team issue and elite 9.8-both gone. This bike handles better and climbs with the best of them. Mine is the '08-the '09 has juicy 5's and a low end Shimano crank, but the same frame.

Favorite Trail:   Patapsco

Purchased At:   Through trek

Similar Products Used:   Rig, Top Fuel 69er, On One, Supercaliber, hi-fi, too many others to count

Bike Setup:   Full SS rigid-Bontrager Race X Lite switchblade carbon fork, carbon seatpost, carbon bar, stem and carbon cranks. Juicy Ultimate brakes. Selle Italia Aspide saddle. Race X Lite Wheels. Eggbeater C pedals. Kenda Karma tires 2.1. Complete bike weighs 22lbs 2 oz. Not bad for 19.5 with "usable" components-I say this because you see forums where people have 18.5 lb 29ers. They use 1.7 tires, with road wheels and v brakes.

Submitted by bluespot a Cross Country Rider from nyc

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2008

Strengths:    price ... geometry ... ride

Weaknesses:    seems to crack if you freeride it ...

Bottom Line:
i absolutly love this bike ... even the gay happy color. Small blocks seem to be the best tire for me so far unless its muddy then im phucked. been trying mountain king 2.4s by conti ... which is more like a 2.2 in the front ... the reba absolutly changed my mind about rockshox ... i know you people hate manitou ... but i use to and still love their chit. well it climbs well ... the ebb is machined and alot lighter than the one in my 1fg. i roll over almost everything ... the wheels ived toasted and on a second set with only couple of hundred miles ... make sure your freehub is tight from the getgo. yeah this is your pretty much do all all mountain hardtail. nothing is stiffer than riding a 26inch singlspeed though ... so it's not perfect but pretty damn close. yeah it's dah chit. now all it needs is a faster rider. =)

and umm everyone stop hatin' fisher for sellin out ... he always was a sellout ... so what if he didn't you wouldn't be ridin one or be able to afford one.

oh and gary ... thats a compliment.

ps. thanx for making the superfly ... makes me feel like chit for riding one =)

--drew mofos.

pps. lets all just shutup and ride ... and not stoping for chit.

Favorite Trail:   cunningham cause its real close =)

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   direct from my man m

Similar Products Used:   superfly, paragon, niners, sycip and other 29ers

Bike Setup:   top shelf ... xo ... martas gold ect ... thompson layback

Submitted by ssalmons a Weekend Warrior from St Louis, MO

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2008

Strengths:    Handling, momentum, overcoming obstacles.

Weaknesses:    Weight? not an issue for non-racers

Bottom Line:
This bike rocks the trails in the midwest! It climbs hills quickly and efficiently, Reba fork is among the best, lockout is adjustable (floodgate) and works flawlessly. My brakes (XT) are amazing, maybe consider going 8" rotors up front. The frame is beautifully crafted, the paint looks great and the lack of decals looks home-made. I was told by a local shop owner this frame was designed by the man- Keith Bontrager. That may explain why it is so good? The EBB gives you options, you can go SS or you can fine tune your riding position.

Favorite Trail:   Castlewood