Fuji Tahoe 29er 2.0 29er Hardtail

• Cassette: Shimano SLX, 11-34T 9sp
  • Chain: Shimano HG-73

Submitted by Deuce9 a Racer from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2011

Strengths:    Tapered Head Tube, Nice Stand-Over Height (Esp. for a 29er), Hydro-formed Aluminum Frame W/Lrg Downtube, Rock Shox Recon Silver W/Lock Out & Tapered Steerer, Easily fits a large 2.35 rear tire

Weaknesses:    Weight, Cockpit, Basic Seat w/heavy post, Tektro Brakes, may not be as flashy as other brands in this range

Bottom Line:
The Tektro brakes are actually descent, but I'm spoiled with high end brakes such as XX, Formula 1, and Hope with all my other bikes. The wheelset that comes with the bike are adequate for this price point, as are the rest of the components respectively. This bike is a little on the heavy side, but with a upgrading a few things here and there, this bike responds quite well. This bike is a steal of a deal compared to the other bikes listed in terms of overall performance and value, and it's the only one with a tapered h/t which really helps the 29" wheels turn with more authority through the corners. I have no doubt that if all the bikes I've listed were stripped of their labels, the Fuji would be the overall choice for most riders. The 2011+ Tahoe 29 line would be a great budget frame build up if you were able to find one though Craigslist or Ebay. This bike will not disappoint.

Favorite Trail:   Those with dirt

Purchased At:   Performance Biycle

Similar Products Used:   Salsa Mamasita & El Mariachi, Niner's E.M.D. & Air 9, Specialized Stumpjumper, & Orbea Lanza (All these models were the Aluminum 29er Hardtail versions)

Bike Setup:   The wheelset varies from day to day as I run many, but I always swap out the seat & seat post (EC90 offset post w/fi'zi:k Tundra 2 K:IUM Saddle) The bike is otherwise stock.

Which 29er? Used Specialized Rockhopper comp or new 2012 Fuji Tahoe 2.0?

I'm looking to get my first mtb in about 8 years, and of course I, like everybody else, have a limited amount of money to play with. My local Craigslist has a 2012 rockhopper comp in my size for 750, and only barely used. However, one of my local bike shops has a 2012 Fuji Tahoe 29er 2.0 on clea ... Read More »