Fuji Tahoe 29 Pro 29er Hardtail

• Drivetrain: TruVativ 5D 3.0, 22/32/44T, SRAM X.7 Trigger, 27-speed
  • Wheels: Fuji sealed bearing hubs, WTB SpeedDisc AM 29"DW w/ Single Eyelet 32H

Submitted by grizzlyplumber a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2012

Strengths:    Great value. Good components at this price level. Juicy Hydraulic Brakes and a RS Tora are nice components for under a grand.

Weaknesses:    Truvativ crank was a heavy pos.

Bottom Line:
I have had this bike for about a year and a half and I love it. Stock was just a little heavy, first thing I did was ditch the crappy crank for a 2 piece Sram that dropped over a pound off the weight.
I ride mostly light flowing single track with some long climbs that pay off with long speedy descents and this bike loves to climb. I came off a 26" full suspension and I do miss that on some of the downhill sections but the trade off to a hardtail pays off on the climbs. I really wanted to see what the 29 craze was about, found a smokin deal on this bike, two years old but never ridden, still had the rubber nipples on the tires. Love the setup, got a FS 29er now and put road tires on this, commute with it and go for extended rides through the roads around my town.
Definitely recommend this bike to anyone looking for a budget 29er thats not bottom line, good value, and upgradeable over the long haul.

Favorite Trail:   Hawes Mesa

Purchased At:   Pawn shop

Similar Products Used:   GT Idrive
Santa Cruz Blur
Gary Fisher HiFi 29

Bike Setup:   Sram X7

Submitted by Jon

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2012

Strengths:    Price, Components, Ride, Everything

Weaknesses:    Crankset is weak but ok . Nothing

Bottom Line:
I just p/u an overstock 2009 Fuji Tahoe 29 Pro from bikeshopwarehouse.com. I only paid $679.99 and that included tax and shipping. That's simply amazing for this level a bike. I took it to my LBS (Performance) and they even were amazed! The shock is a fully adjustable air shock with compression and rebound adjustments and lockout. The travel is plenty when you dial in the compression and make it nice aqnd stiff. The bike is light IMO. The Fuji website has it just under 30lbs bone stock. I know people who have got this bike down to 25lbs with upgrades. The bike comes with XPEDO clipless pedels that are $100 bucks by themselves, nice touch. The key with 29r's is the frame size. I am 5'11"/210lbs and I chose the 17 in and it's perfect. Every bike is different so make sure you don't buy too big fram or you will hate it. The 29" wheels add the the overall size of this bike. My Juicy 5 brakes are phenomanal...no noise and the stopping power is crazy. I can lock the rear tire and whip this bike through the technical stuff with no problem. The gearing is right and the X7 SRAM shifting is more than adequete. Make sure you have the bike shop retighten your cables after your first ride or two as things will stretch and settle from being boxed up for 3+ years. I added a lizard skins chain protector b/c after my first SS ride I noticed a lot of chain slappage and the paint chips to boot on the frame. The proctor took care of that problem! overall this is a simply Amazing bike for the money...no complaints from me here! If you can get you hands on what remaining overstock left I would advise to buy a size down from your normal frame.

Submitted by TPanda a Downhiller from Florida

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2011

Strengths:    its ok...and has great nipples

Weaknesses:    a bit rubbery..like a double-ender

Bottom Line:
buy my ass if you like crustyrings

Favorite Trail:   friends back alley

Purchased At:   tomons bikesutz

Submitted by safetyfifth a Cross Country Rider from Arkansas

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2011

Strengths:    Front fork, build quality on frame, wtb saddle.

Weaknesses:    Wheels, chainrings, derilluars,
overall bike on the heavy side, brake performance poor.

Bottom Line:
After all the hype about the 29er thing, I decided I had to get one and try it. I could instantly tell the difference from 26 to 29, not to my liking though. I felt the bigger wheels just zapped my momentum going uphill. The first and middle chainrings bent after a few months of riding, wheels constantly were out of true. I was always having to true the wheels, bent spokes, just plain junk quality. Also didn't like the shifting on the SRAM equipment, the front never shifted correctly, the lbs could never get the cables adjusted correctly. The brakes were always spongey, and made lots of noise under heavy braking. Overall I was not happy owning this bike and was glad when I got rid of this bike. Idk I guess there is a lemon in every group, just never enjoyed the bike the whole time I owned it.

Favorite Trail:   Carp

Similar Products Used:   First 29er. Various 26 hardtails.

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Bigjoe78 a Weekend Warrior from Yukon, Oklahoma

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2011

Strengths:    Production quality is very good. Upper end groupo at an entry level price and the bike is ready to ride. Strong and stands up to abuse.

Weaknesses:    Paint is easily damaged and seems heavy for a hard tail (but rolls like a dream).

Bottom Line:
I bought a less expensive 29er to give it a try and was smitten immediatly. This bike rolls like nothing I have ever ridden (Even the other 29er I owned) and the build quality is very good. Brakes are very good and I have not had any of the issues with the Juicy 5's others have noted. I am 6'5" and 280 lbs. so any weaknesses are found quickly. For the $,the Fuji is hard to beat. The Tora is a huge upgrade over the Dart 3 and I have no reason to swith to a Reba, but I know it will happen at some point. I never road the bike with the X7 rear, but the X9 is PERFECT and would recommend that upgrade to all who purchase as it was the best $40 I ever spent!

Favorite Trail:   Bluff

Purchased At:   ProBike

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher cake 2 dLX. Marin Alpine Trail 29er and more.

Bike Setup:   Stock with the exception of upgrading to X9 rear.

Submitted by ak77 a Weekend Warrior from Berkeley, ca

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2010

Strengths:    Pretty well sorted bike, frame, fork & wheels all not superlight but sturdy & feels good. Derailleurs, brakes & shifters work as they should.

Weaknesses:    Pedals, chainrings, chain.

Bottom Line:
I ride this bike on a daily basis on both trail and road (300-500 m climb to commute to work), and I really like it. It's not superlight but that keeps the legs strong. The frame stiffness is good keeps the front wheel tracking on climbs and gets to good speed on descents without ever feeling unstable.
One of the pedals it came with (Xenduro?) failed after three days, but the shop gave me a different set for free, which have held fine since then. The center and large chainring have both bent out of true, which is a bit annoying. The stock chain wore really fast but that may have been my fault for not cleaning it regularly.
All in all a fine bike for a good price.

Purchased At:   performance

Bike Setup:   mostly stock + geax saguaro rear tire, SRAM PC951 chain & forte carve pedals

Submitted by Stranded a Cross Country Rider from Horse Cave, Kentucky, USA

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2010

Strengths:    Sturdy, smooth ride (love the big wheels--once you go 29, you don't go back!), smooth shifting, excellent braking (Juicy hydraulics)

Weaknesses:    Derailleurs tricky to adjust (for me, but I'm no expert); brakes tightened up in hot weather, but the shop adjusted them at no charge, and no further problems. The bike is no lightweight road machine, but I like the sturdy, secure feeling for banging over rock and through washouts. And when you get back on your road bike, you'll feel like you're flying (you will be!) The gearing is sufficient to find a comfortable combination, whatever your level of fitness. No significant weaknesses.

Bottom Line:
A bit pricey compared to Motobecanes and Monocogs, etc, but it's a rock-solid bike. If you aren't a real gearhead, I recommend buying from a shop with a good mechanic to do adjustments. Well worth the money. It's a "boss bike"--if you like to sit up high and feel like king of the road/trail, you'll love it. I'm 5' 11" and 185 and it fits me perfectly. I don't do a lot of hardcore downhill or technical, but on this bike I feel ready for anything.

Favorite Trail:   Mammoth Cave, Old Railbed, Sal Hollow

Purchased At:   Schwinn Cyclery in E

Similar Products Used:   None; first 29er, first "real" MTB

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by el bikobandito a Cross Country Rider from Penna

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2009

Bottom Line:
Fuji makes some nice bikes, but the Jury is still out on this one.

First I like the 29er thing...bigger wheels get over more obstacles, sure I'll buy that now that I had some saddle time. It does have the feel of riding over stuff not through it. I never understood that phrase until I rode a 29er. Is it a huge difference? I don't think so but it is different. Second, Fuji nice job on the parts pick, Juicy 5s, X7, WTB speed disc. Good Work. Lastly the $. Where can you buy a bike equiped like this for $869 (yes, thats what I paid!!! And I got $120 of performance points and gift cards thrown in with it!!! WOW!!!)

Now for what I dont like: The 29er thing going uphill, where your gear ratio is different because of the big wheel, well that just plain sucks goin uphill. I've never been one to reach the top before all the others, but now when I get to the top all my buds are burnin time sending texts while they wait for me. Not a fan. BTW the gear thing is not Fuji's fault its all 29ers (SRAM dudes if your reading this, build a 11-36 cassette for dudes like me. I'll buy a whole bunch!!) Second, 30.3 lbs?!?! WHAT?!?! Its a Hardtail, its supposed to be light!?!? That weighs almost as much as my Cannondale Prophet (which is an indestructable big pig of a bike...although I love her...Go "Big C"!) Anyway I'm sure Fuji can find a way to whiddle a few lbs off. This is my biggest gripe. Lastly, why spec any bike with Conti tires (it comes with the Mountain Jester...Oops I mean King. my bad.) Those skinny little rubber rings slip more than my 6 year old on iceskates.

All in all 5 chilis for value...$869 buck and 3 overall.

Favorite Trail:   Bear Creek

Purchased At:   Performance

Submitted by frisbee91 a Weekend Warrior from Newark, DE, USA

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2009

Strengths:    Components

Weaknesses:    Geometry of the "small" size. Squeaky Juicy 5 brakes. Moderatly heavy. (about 32 lbs fully equipped)

Bottom Line:
This is a well made bike. Seemed like a good value to me. I decided to try the 29er revolution, but at 5'8" tall, this bike is just too big for me. The long wheelbase and high center of gravity made it awkward to ride. It's a beast to handle on twisty trails. After a month, I returned it to Performance Bike (who were great to work with). My advice is that the 29ers are for big dudes.

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Bike Setup:   Stock Fuji Tahoe Pro. 17" frame (small)

Submitted by NorthTexasHusker a Cross Country Rider from McKinney, Texas, USA

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2009

Strengths:    Rolls over anything.

Weaknesses:    There really aren't any at this price point. I will probaly upgrade the Tora forks over time.

Bottom Line:
As mentioned in an earlier review: Don't be steered away from FUJI because your buddies are riding Specialized, Felt, Cannondales and the other biggies. FUJI makes a solid bike and compares with the best. Performance Cycle stands behind all their products as well. If you want to drop $4000 grand on a carbon fiber Gary Fisher or $2500 on a Specialized Stumpjumoer, go for it. I'll pocket my savings and buy another FUJI or GT (gotta a GT Force on lay-a-way).

More than just an entry bike too. 29'ers are here to stay.

Favorite Trail:   Johnson Branch, Texas

Purchased At:   Performance Cycles

Similar Products Used:   This is my first 29'er. I looked at Specialized StumpJumper but I got this for half the price and the bike rides really well. I am sold on FUJI.

Bike Setup:   Avid Juicy Brakes/Sram X-7 shifters, rear derailleur, Shimano SLX crank, Tora shocks, WTB saddle.

Submitted by wonderdog42 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2008

Strengths:    Excellent components for price. Core components like wheels, frame, and most drive train components are solid.

Weaknesses:    Initial Tora fork is worth upgrading. Crank isn't the best, but certainly usable.

Bottom Line:
If you're a tall guy looking for a solid cross country platform, this bike is ideal. Don't let snooty elitists turn you away because of the badging: It's a great bike for the price.

Favorite Trail:   Fountainhead

Similar Products Used:   SE Stout, a couple Niners, and a one of the Fisher niners.

Bike Setup:   I've changed from the Tora to a Reba.

Submitted by singlespeed1985 a Cross Country Rider from Vista, CA, San Diego

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2008

Strengths:    Same as any 9er: rolls over anything.

Weaknesses:    original seat collar slipped Salsa Lip-lock took care of that.

Bottom Line:
Amazingly fun rig to ride. Wanted a single speed 29er for a while, but didn't want the price tag of starting from scratch and I wasn't pumped with the idea of rigid (too many rock gardens here). Picked this one up single speeded it, and got a pretty penny for the X-7 drive-train on craigslist. I am a cross-country guy and I love climbing and this thing sticks to the ground, so even SS it just climbs away. I know all you purists say that single speed 29ers should be rigid, but I am sooooo glad I got the 80mm because I tend to push whatever bike I have as far as I can go. I have the fork set for a rider about 50lbs heavier than me to keep it stiff enought it just takes the sting off. I know it would look cooler rigid, but I keep up on the downhills, rock gardens, rutty single-track just as fast on my hardtail SS 29er as I do on my 3X9 FSR this way. With those big wheels as long as you stay off the brakes and ride with some flow I can keep up with the same group of guys as normal with the exception that I beat them to the top of the climbs. This bike def. makes the same trails (espectially climbs) new again.

Favorite Trail:   Calaveras

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   G.F. Rig, G.T. peace niner SS,

Bike Setup:   Converted it to singlespeed before I even spun it through the parking lot. 32t Surly SS ring, 20t Surly Cog, Spot Brand Bashring, Forte Singulator, Changed to Lizard Skin locking grips,

Submitted by mtnbiker72 a Weekend Warrior from Rainier, OR

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2008

Strengths:    Phenomenal traction, Wheels hold momentum, The bike feels fast, Big wheels roll over roots, logs, etc with relative ease, Bike feels light despite being near 30 lbs. The 2008 SRAM X-7 shifters are nicer compared to the previous 2004 and 2005 models I've owned, Avid Juicy 5's are very nice, and oh yea THE PRICE!

Weaknesses:    Needed a very thorough build (not customer ready IMO), Bike feels tall (but my first 29er so may just be me), Stiff frame and 31.6 mm seatpost means sharp impacts go right up the spine, Cheap crankset

Bottom Line:
This review is for a Windsor Cliff 29er Pro which is exactly the same bike (other than color) as the Tahoe 29er Pro except contrary to the spec sheet...the Tora 318 solo air fork came setup in the 100mm mode.

Since I'm a former bicycle mechanic with 8 years of experience, I was not concerned about purchasing online. It should be stated that the bikes from BikesDirect.com come strait from the warehouse so they are in DEALER READY condition. If you are not an experienced mechanic, pay a qualified LBS to do the work for you. There were many needed adjustments that require specialty tools that would be easily overlooked by just putting the bike together.

That said, saving $500 over the exact same bike from Fuji (or most other similarly equipped 29ers) was a big draw for me. Riding a 29er has made the local trails seem new to me after several years of riding a all mountain full suspension. I love how this bike feels sooooo fast and holds momentum. The traction is out of this world (I'm sure the Kenda Navegal tires help too). It clears logs better than my full suspension did! Great overall product.

Favorite Trail:   Stella