Fuji Tahoe 29 Comp 29er Hardtail

• Drivetrain: TruVativ 5D 3.0, 22/32/44T, SRAM X.5 Trigger, 27-speed
  • Wheels: Fuji sealed bearing hubs, WTB SpeedDisc AM 29"DW,32H

Submitted by bob l a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2013

Strengths:    this bike is awesome. my first foray into the 29er and researched extensively for a deal(cheapskate)finally tracked one down and got the tester floor model for a smoking deal.got 2 bikes for $600.00. The geometry on this bike is perfect, except for on the teeter totter at the finns. Super light and pounds up the mountains. trigger shift set-up works great and not much lag between shifts for those rapid fire changes. love it, my favorite bike.

Weaknesses:    square taper cranks suck when the bike shop that put the bike together doesn't seat the crank arm(probably why u went under u dopes) brakes lock up a bit easier than i would like but do-able

Bottom Line:
i love this bike and would recomend this to anyone that asks. will only buy 29ers from hear on out and fuji will always get first look when im shopping

Favorite Trail:   white tanks park,az

Duration Product Used:   3 yrs

Purchased At:   out of bussiness sur

Similar Products Used:   gt timberline 26er, rockhopper

Bike Setup:   stock except the soft gel seat and o.g. beartrap bmx pedals

Submitted by Texas_29er a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2012

Strengths:    This 29er ROCKS! The geometry is spot on for me. It climbs like a goat. I researched alot before I pulled the trigger on this bike because I like to get the most bang for the buck and found this to be an amazing deal. It has decent components with X5 and I have been riding it hard and it has not had one issue. Great 29er.

Weaknesses:    The fork is a Dart 3 which did me find for the first hundred miles. I upgraded it to a Rock Shox Recon TK once I was convinced the rest of the bike was worth it....which it really is!

Bottom Line:
An amazing bike and love the look. I tried Stump Jumpers and Trek's than tired this Fuji and was floored. If you can get past the Dart 3 on the low end and upgrade it as soon as you have the money, it is well worth it for this setup. Love this bike!

Submitted by Kirk a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2012

Strengths:    Overall smooth for the price i got it out the door for 525$ It's a nice 29er for the price. If your ego will allow you to ride something that is not as much as a car this bike will pay its self off with fun and quality. I put hydr disk brakes for better braking 2 years after i bought it and also went gangsta tubeless on it. This is a good bike for the price, this Tahoe has proved itself to me. I am taking the next step and am going to build a nice light bike. I will always be grateful for the Tahoe!

Weaknesses:    brakes after long term use

Bottom Line:
Great 29er if your new and dont want to break the bank. Two things that will make the bike 100 better will be converting the bike to tubeless gangsta style( youtube will show you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQX3CciWsSg ) and buying padded ass shorts!!

Favorite Trail:   black caynon az

Purchased At:   preformance bike in

Similar Products Used:   no

Bike Setup:   Stock with upgraded brakes to avid elixir r

Submitted by Koppuh Klyde

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2012

Strengths:    Decent wheelset, X5 drivedtrain.

Weaknesses:    Crankset.

Bottom Line:
I had a long hiatus from MTBing so any modern bike is gonna be better than my ol Haro (never thought I'd say that :( ) I bought an '09 in 2010 as NOS so "value" is very high. The only problem Ive had was the square taper cranks. They kept me from riding much at first because the non drive side got rounded and theyd constantly come loose. Once I replaced them w/ some Truvativ Stylos everything came together perfectly. Bike is great now. Another thing I did was have the LBS put in a new "black"-stiffer coil spring in the Dart 3. Im ~250 so a new fork will be next.

Submitted by groesselj a Weekend Warrior from Berkeley, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2011

Strengths:    Great frame to put better brakes and front fork on. After I do that, I'll be dreaming about riding this bike when I'm not on it.

Weaknesses:    REPLACE THE BB-5 BRAKES!!! Terrible rear brake control.

Bottom Line:
A great first 29er experience. Just replace the rear bb5 brake. It's the only thing that makes the ride not awesome.

Purchased At:   Devil's Gear Bike Sh

Bike Setup:   I'm going to add bb7s and I added my own clipless pedals. Will eventually want a new front fork, I'm sure.

Submitted by Steven Hinkley a Weekend Warrior from castle rock

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2010

Strengths:    Shifting, smooth climbs,great balance down hill.

Weaknesses:    none so far.

Bottom Line:
All I got to say is what a great new experience,I really enjoy hitting the trails with this bike I think it corners down hill with smooth lines and is very stable.Good quick shifting as well.I'm 6'1" and this bike works well.

Favorite Trail:   United States

Purchased At:   performance

Similar Products Used:   new to 29ers.

Bike Setup:   all stock components.

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Albany, NY

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2010

Strengths:    climbs easier than anything I've ever ridden before, precise shifting, good looks, price

Weaknesses:    creaky seatpost

Bottom Line:
I bought this a week ago to replace my 2005 Jamis Dakar XC-Comp that was stolen from me. The kind of riding I do these days doesn't necessitate hydraulic discs, full-suspension, or a $1500 price tag, so the Fuji Tahoe 29 Comp caught my eye. After comparing it to a slightly less expensive GT 26", I opted for the 29er and am glad I did. The shifting on this bike is precise, and it climbs so much better than anything I've ever ridden. I love this bike!

Purchased At:   Freeman's Bridge Spo

Similar Products Used:   2005 Jamis Dakar XC-Comp full suspension, 1992 Marin Team hardtail/rigid fork

Bike Setup:   totally stock - avid mechanical discs, Rock Shox Dart 3, Cane Creek headseat, SRAM X-5 front & rear, and reflectors :)

Submitted by m0ntekarl01 a Weekend Warrior from Southborough, Ma, USA

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2009

Strengths:    Price

Weaknesses:    Saddle

Bottom Line:
I love the bike but don't have a ton of experience to really judge. Everything is super smooth, it's really a bike that is so much more than it's pricetag. I would recommend this to pretty much any beginner, and probably most intermediates. I love the price tag, and I love the big wheels, as it makes for a much better road bike on the side.

Favorite Trail:   Callahan State Park

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   Stock plus a cateye that came with

Submitted by cascherman a Weekend Warrior from Harvest, AL

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2009

Strengths:    Obviously, 29 inch wheels is great for a tall guy like me. Good components, love the Avid BB5 brakes.

Weaknesses:    Have heard that the Dart 3 front fork can be a pain sometimes, so far so good though, not a problem. No problems yet

Bottom Line:
So far I love this bike, the jump to a 29er from a 26" wheel was nerve racking but I'm so glad I did it. I'm 6'3" and this bike makes it great going up hill and only slightly less agile going downhill. Not even really noticable once you are doing it.

This bike is pretty solid with moderate components, you'll love to ride it.

Favorite Trail:   Monte Sano Mountain

Purchased At:   Madison Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Marin Bolinas Ridge (not 29er)

Bike Setup:   Dart 3 front fork, Sram X5 derailleurs, , Avid BB5 mechanical disc brakes, WTB wheels, and Crank Brothers Candy C pedals

Submitted by chadgo a Weekend Warrior from Matthews, NC

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2009

Strengths:    Cost, Weight, Subtle paint scheme.

Weaknesses:    Sram Shifters. After riding Shimano rapid fire, the down shifting is a little odd using your kunckle. Will take some getting used to.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike for the price. Gets you in to the whole 29er realm. It rides great. Rolls great on the flats and goes up and over obstacles w/out any problems. No problems with the Dart shock.

Favorite Trail:   Sherman Branch

Purchased At:   Bike Gallery - Charl

Similar Products Used:   Many years of 26" bike riding. Cannondale, Gary Fisher.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Carbon flat handlebar and seat.

Submitted by Rick2301 a Cross Country Rider from Brownsville, Tx, USA

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2008

Strengths:    Good bike for the money, strong, takes a beating. Good components for the price.

Weaknesses:    Problem with clicking noise in crank, couldnt remove cranks from bottom bracket, local bike shop had to beat the cranks off. Looked like some paint got on the square bracket and the cranks were forced on. Buying from internet, couldnt size bike correctly. Could use a better chain.

Bottom Line:
I really like my bike. Im no expert but I have never enjoyed riding a bike as much as I enjoy my 29er. Its heavy but so am I. At 260lbs it takes a beating. I upgraded the drailleurs to SRAM X9s and the shifters from X5s to X7s. I ride a trail that is hard packed in some areas and loose soil in others. No hills or mountains down hear in south Texas but plenty of dry canals and levees. I am very satisfied with my bike especially for the price. If your into bragging about $ spent then buy the more expensive models. Great starter bike. Its sold as a Windsor on bikesdirect but its made by Fuji.

Favorite Trail:   Alton Gloor Park

Purchased At:   bikesdirect.com

Bike Setup:   SRAM X5 front and rear derailleurs, Truvativ cranks and bracket, SRAM X5 shifters, Avid mechanical brakes. WTB seat. Kenda Nevegal tires.

Submitted by Schwinng a Weekend Warrior from So. Pasadena, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2008

Strengths:    See my first review

Weaknesses:    CHEAP, WEAK SEAT CLAMP. The screw is VERY EASILY stripped when tightened, which made the 2nd half of my 15-mile ride a real pain in the butt. Went to Performance and bought a seat clamp that's 100% better at $5.00. Why couldn't Fugi just equip this bike with a half-decent seat clamp?!

Bottom Line:
After several more rides, I still really like this bike a lot. It definitely rolls differently than a 26" wheeled mtn bike, which has its pros and cons ... not as quick off the line, feels a little sluggish on steep, technical climbs (much less so on less steep, long fireroad climbs ... feels really great on these), but rolls very smoothly over ruts, rocks, and is just plain fun to ride.

Switch out the cheap seat clamp ASAP so you don't get stuck in the middle of a ride without a seat after trying to adjust its height.

Use your clipless pedals, otherwise your shoes will likely rub against the front tire.

Definitely switch out the rear cassette to an 11-34. The stock 11-32 just doesn't cut it on this bike, IMHO.

I like running the tires at about 35 PSI. 40 PSI results in too harsh a ride.

The rebound damper dial/unit at the bottom of the right fork leg can be a great place to lose fork oil/grease. I found an oil spot in my garage just from this -- the heat inside the garage may have facilitated this.

Fork is not bad, could be more plush, even with only 80mm of travel.

I really like the saddle. Perfect am't of padding, great curvature for climbing, descending, riding on flats, etc. Like it even more than my Specialized models with the Minkow Wedge.

There are much lighter weight 29ers out there, for which you'll pay much more money as well. Gotta "weigh" your priorities and preferences. I just wanted a fun 29er bike to ride. I have 2 dualies I can always ride. But, for now, I'm having more fun riding the Fuji Taho 29er Comp. There's beauty in simplicity.

Favorite Trail:   Chesebro Canyon - Westlake Village, CA

Purchased At:   Performance

Submitted by Decoy Dan a Weekend Warrior from Monterey, CA

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2008

Strengths:    It's an excellent 29'er. The components are all-around good for the price of the bike.

Weaknesses:    I've had trouble with the Rock Shox Dart 3. The shock had to be replaced twice, due to oil leakage. I'm still trying out the replacement. I hope it works.

Bottom Line:
I really like the bike. It's my first entry level 29er into the mountain biking world. I plan to upgrade certain components as I get more into the sport, but I plan to be riding it for a long while.

Favorite Trail:   Fort Ord/ Toro area

Purchased At:   Performance Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Nothing to compare to yet

Bike Setup:   21.5 XL frame, standard entry level components

Submitted by Bruin a Weekend Warrior from So. Pasadena, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2008

Strengths:    Sure-footed handling; balanced feel; comfortable cockpit; outstanding descender, singletracker, great on corners, decent fork w/ lock-out, very smooth riding, rolls over rocks like no 26" bike can; Avid mech. disc brakes work very well (good modulation), decent saddle, very good traction on climbs

Weaknesses:    Weight (med. = 31.8 lbs.?), does not feel particularly "quick," should've been equipped with a SRAM cassette with a 34-tooth cog (32 is largest on cassette) which would make this bike feel more alive/responsive on climbs; shifters are decent (SRAM X-5, as are front and rear derailleurs, I believe), Wellgo platform pedals should be replaced with clipless models -- like another poster said, your shoe can rub against the front tire ... I'm guessing with clipless pedals, you shouldn't experience this.

Bottom Line:
I got a heck of a deal on this bike at Performance Bikes. The next mode up is only about 1.5 lbs. lighter, and the top-of-the-line model (MSRP = $1,900) is only about 2 lbs. lighter than this model (I bought the Comp). So, not much diff between these 3 bikes re weight. If you want to delve into the world of 29" mtn bikes, I think this is one great model/way to do so. I have a feeling that I'll be riding this bike more than my dualies. It's just a different experience riding a 29'er, and you can really push some speed on it because of how smoothly it rides over bumps, rocks, etc. VERY stable, predictable handling, which is ALWAYS a good thing. I recommend highly. But, I suppose if you're into much lighter 29" bikes and don't mind dropping a ton more money for one, you'd be happier with one reflecting these preferences.

Favorite Trail:   the one I'm riding

Purchased At:   Performance Bikes

Similar Products Used:   This is my first 29'er and it's a lot of fun - and different - to ride vs. 26" bikes.

Bike Setup:   100% stock.

Submitted by Kevin a Weekend Warrior from Pennsylvania

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2008

Strengths:    Smooth ride, components are great for a 29er in this price range. geometry works great for single track riding, it accelerates well and maintains high speeds with good control. handles tight corners well dispite wheel size. IT TEARS THROUGH MUD. the color is pretty sweet as well (not that it really affects the bike)

Weaknesses:    its a bit heavy. the old school straps arent my thing but that isnt a big issue, just get a clipless set put on. it would be nice to have hydraulic discs but the mechanicals are sufficient.

Bottom Line:
this bike is great for fast controlled riding in technical terrain. the components are great at its price point. it is heavy, but that doesnt seem to be affecting me when i climb only on hopping over roots and rocks (the 29 inch wheels help with that though). the ride is smooth and stable i havent felt shaky on it yet (only been riding it 3 months). if you are looking for a great hardtail at this price point, test ride it, you will like the ride.

Similar Products Used:   no 29ers, this is my first, but i would recommend at least trying one, they do make a great fast ride

Bike Setup:   factory stock other then the pedal upgrade to clipless

What size top derailleur for Tahoe Comp 29?

Looking to replace my front derailleur. Does the 2010 tahoe comp 29er takes a 34.9 top pull? Any help?;)Read More »

Diamondback Overdrive vs Fuji Tahoe 29 comp, any opinions for a new guy

Both are priced under $600 at different LBS, just need more info on bothRead More »

Help on 1st 29er, Gary Fisher Cobia or Fuji Tahoe 29 Comp

Help in deciding between the Gary Fisher Cobia 29er and the Fuji Tahoe 29 Comp. I've found a LBS that is selling a brand new Fuji Tahoe 29 Comp for $574, which I thought was a good deal for my very first bike.Read More »