Fuji Nevada 29er 1.0 29er Hardtail

• Cassette: Shimano Cassette, 11-32T 8sp
  • Chain: Shimano HG-53

Submitted by cleanneon98 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2016

Strengths:    Price

Weaknesses:    Weight
Wheels and tires
Overall components feel cheap
Rear derailer broke on first trail ride

Bottom Line:
This review is for a 2015 FUJI Nevada 2.1

So some time ago, I was selling my Xcaliber bike for $400, a fair deal. Around that time, a friend (who ignored my advice) was shopping for a bike for around $400. Instead of buying my lightly used TREK, he went ahead and got a 2015 Fuji Nevada 2.1 I believe for around the same money. What a MISTAKE! I'm not just saying this because he didn't buy my bike (I was genuinely trying to help him out because it was literally perfect for his needs), but because I rode the two back to back and determined that there is a reason this bike new is only $400

First of all, it is a tank. I did not realize how much weight made a difference on a bike until I got off of my Xcal and onto the Nevada, suddenly feeling like I was either dragging a body behind me or someone had put a parachute on my back. This doesn't just slow you down while accelerating, but when trying to go over obstacles, It was much harder to "pick up" the bike.

The seat is comfy, and that's about it. My buddy and I are the same size and had similar framed bikes, and I just couldn't get comfortable on his. I felt like I was sitting too far upright on the Fuji, but perhaps that's just how his was assembled with the stem risers or the rise in the handlebars themselves. The crank on it looks really cheap also, the whole thing somehow just has a big box bike look and feel

My friend started riding pavement and gravel and built up a good endurance so I took him out on a light trail. Low and behold, one of the first agressive turns we hit, my friend ends up on his side under the bike. I go back, and not having noticed this before, see that the tires are not mountain or trail suited at all. The knobs are too close together, too small, and feel like they should be on a hybrid bike more-so than a mountain model. During the fall, the rear derailer managed so bend on it's bracket, and also itself bent. We managed to limp the bike home, and my friend had to replace his derailer immediately.

What do we have today? My friend has a mountain bike that can't even tackle a light trail. I'm going to be putting on a semi worn set of Bontrager XR2 tires on it because even that will give him more grip than those horrendous things that came on it. Judging by how the bike held up on the initial ride we took, I doubt it would survive even a full 7 mile loop at my local favorite trail, or that my buddy with all of his built up endurance would be able to chug this thing along long enough to see the finish line. I cannot give this bike 1 star because as awful as it is, my friend still rides it in 10-20 mile stints on paved and gravel paths, and it seems to be holding up well for him there.

If you're looking for a "mountain-ey" bike to ride mostly on paved paths, and are on a budget, this might be a good bike for you. If you're looking for an entry level mountain bike to actually take on any kind of trails, look elsewhere.

Duration Product Used:   2 rides

Similar Products Used:   TREK Xcaliber 6

Submitted by GEEOTTO

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2014

Strengths:    Good geometry, seat and paint

Weaknesses:    drivetrain, wheels, fork

Bottom Line:
There is a reason you don't see these bikes on real trails or even moderate ones and that is b/c Fuji has no business making a trail bike. Wheels are a joke, drivetrain will never shift smoothly or on demand even after several adjustments. The grips are bad and rough the fork is the bottom of Suntours barrel and the pedal break apart. This is a great climber however and when working in decent condition and handle your average trail just dont expect this bike to hold up to any aggressive riding.

Submitted by Yobub a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2012

Strengths:    Geomentry is good for a tall guy, Solid frame, good price.

Weaknesses:    Wheels are complete crap. I broke two spokes within about a month of riding on paved trails. Only went on one moderate difficulty midwest "mountain" bike trail. After replacing the spokes, 2 months later the rear wheel is out of true and the service guy at the shop says the wheels aren't strong enough and I can either replace all the spokes or replace the whole wheels.

Gears already have problems shifting consistently. Takes a "half shift" to get them in line.

Very dissappointed in the build quality. My last bike (Specialized Hard Rock) is going on 15 years with only 1 major tune up, now my teenager is riding it. I might have to get it back from him.

Bottom Line:
Poor quality ruins an overwise solid bike.

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Submitted by ce.grant a Weekend Warrior from Houston, Tx

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2012

Strengths:    Lightweight, great shifting and braking, comfortable size

Weaknesses:    Shift and brake cables located above the upper frame tubing

Bottom Line:
I love this bike for the price. Broke it in with 8 miles on the first day. Zero problems

Purchased At:   Icycle bicycle shop

Submitted by hawkXcore a Cross Country Rider from Trenton, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2011

Strengths:    Good all around package. Fits me well. Hauls ass.

Weaknesses:    While it's all name brand gear, its all bottom of the barrel. No big deal for now, as I'll be upgrading as I go along.

Bottom Line:
I was initially going to buy the large frame Raleigh Talus Sport 29 from my LBS, because I thought it was a perfect fit for me. Another LBS (Burl. Co. Bikes) schooled me and showed me the Raleigh was too big, and that I fit perfect on the Fuji medium frame. Picked it up on Monday (4 days ago) and have put ~7 miles on it so far. Loving it. P.S. I'm 6'4"

Favorite Trail:   Mercer