FOCUS Bikes Red Skin 1.0 29er Hardtail

• Crankset: SRAM S1400 2.2 GXP
  • Brakes: Avid Elixir 3, hydraulic disc brake

Submitted by LB a Cross Country Rider from Cape Town, South Africa

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2011

Strengths:    Solid, trustworthy alloy frame. Top notch gear with the SRAM X9, X0 combo.

Weaknesses:    I am really looking hard here, but I would say the plasticy grips in white. Blech!

Bottom Line:
I have been riding the standard 26" mtb hardtail in various combinations and setups for almost 20 years now. I do about 6000Km/year and I am reasonably fit. But I ride because I like riding. With age the impact on the body becomes less and less acceptable, but I am hardcore enough not to accept the dual suspension option. Yeh I know many will scoff at such comment, but its me.
Enter the 29er and with this kit there are not many to compete in value for money in South Africa. Budget driven and immediate comfort on the bike clinched the deal.
An important note to all fellow XC cruisers out there. Notice the price in South Africa? Man, we are being killed here with prices like these. Unfortunately, South Africans have no other option.
My rating is based on my satisfaction. Why else would I spend this much money?

Favorite Trail:   Magic Forest

Purchased At:   Chris Willemse Cycle

Similar Products Used:   This is my first 29er.

Bike Setup:   Groupset in X9 and X0 combination. Elixir 3 brakes, DT Swiss hubs and hoops shod with Maxxis Ardent LUST tubeless. Super comfy Selle Italia saddle.