FOCUS Bikes Raven 29 3.0 29er Hardtail

Focus Raven 29 3.0 Shimano XT/SLX 2012: Race-winning Raven performance hits the 29er scene. The Raven 29R features carefully thought out details and absolute rigidity in quintessential FOCUS style. This bike has inherited everything cross country...

Submitted by The Reverend a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2012

Strengths:    Looks beautiful, all the angles look so right. Flattened seatstays are a work of beauty, light weight, climbs effortlessly, Fox Float 100mm fork works really well. Fantastic geometry which inspires confidence everywhere.
Internal cable routing makes it look clean over the whole bike.
Magura brakes are solid and one of several high points on the bike.
Good sizing too - Large fits me really well (1.93m).
The price!

Weaknesses:    I really don't have any serious ones.
The handlebars were a strange angle for me but I always planned to change them out.
Bar ends look wasn't for me so they got ditched.
Own brand hubs, stem, seat post and seat were not my first choice but they do the job and I'll upgrade in due course.
Seat is very firm (might be that I'm used to FS bikes)

Bottom Line:
Bought this to complement my FS 29'er and my AM 26er rig. Wanted to have something that I could race if I wanted to, or just be faster on.
First ride was excellent. Loved the way it handles and climbs especially.
Some of it was down to new bike syndrome I'm sure, but I'm quite a bit quicker on this than any other bike I have.

Nothing but praise for the bike, looks amazing, good spec, some parts to upgrade but it's the same with other brands at the price point.
Internal cabling looks beautiful, as does the rear flattened seat stays.

Rear freehub started grumbling but that was replaced under warranty with no problems. My mate's Specialised had the same problem so not reading anything into that.

Only immediate changes were to fit wider bars (800mm) and ditch the bar ends and to fit Schwalbe Albert front tyre for extra bite in the conditions we have here.
I will change the seat though, it's very firm and coupled with the HT it's a little too much for me over certain routes.
I know.. HTFU..