Fezzari Solitude 29er Hardtail

Just when we thought we couldn't out do ourselves, our engineers did it again. We have completely redesigned the Solitude from the ground up. The new solitude features a 3K monocoque carbon fiber frame with 1.5" tapered headtube to provide more stiffness so you can descend with confidence. We've incorporated our Continual Dispersal Box Technology to utilize all parts of the frame in propelling you up the trail. The vertical compliance (vertical flex for a softer ride) comes from the carbon fiber layup and custom tube shaping. The Fox Float CTD FIT 29er fork with 100mm travel, 1.5" taper, and rebound adjust take care of the bumps on the front end while the SRAM XX1 drivetrain and Avid Xx brakes will have you up to speed, flying through corners, and having confidence on the steepest descents. The Solitude is the ultimate race bike, and it's light (19 pounds), so it's the perfect bike for the cross country racer a light, efficient, fast bike. Just ride one and you'll be hooked on light, efficient cross-country racing.

Submitted by grock

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2014

Strengths:    Very Light Weight - Mine comes in at 21lbs with XT build and Stans Crest Wheels.
Very responsive - when you hammer down this bike goes
Surprisingly stable - the frame absorbs the bumps exceptionally well, it doesn't get thrown around at all
It's just FAST. One of the most fun bikes I've ever ridden
Price - best bike in this price range, hands down. And I would put this bike up against many at twice the price.

Weaknesses:    At this price range, there is nothing weak about this bike.

Bottom Line:
Like the other reviewers have said, this bike RIPS. This is one of the most exciting bikes I have ever ridden (and I've ridden a lot). It does not ride high like many 29ers, which can sometimes feel like being on stilts. It rides lower, giving you stability and confidence in techy sections.

The carbon frame is forgiving. It absorbs bumps and hits extremely well. I have found the Solitude to be surprisingly smooth in chundery, chewed up trail and rocky sections.

The Solitude is crazy responsive when you hammer down. So much so, that in the first few tight switchbacks I rode I didn’t make the turn because one pedal stroke put me through it. Once I got used to the acceleration, they were no problem. It climbs like it has engine assist. Part of that is its light weight, part of that is the stiffness in the bottom bracket.

The bike feels nimble and shifty like a smaller wheeled bike, much like a 27.5. One thing I really noticed on this bike is it’s ability to handle tight turns. Many 29ers don’t ride very well in really tight, winding turns. Because of the light weight and “low” ride feel, the bike is easy to throw side to side.

I expected this bike would get tossed around in technical terrain, however it really doesn't at all. Quite the opposite in fact, it felt as stable on the downhill as many heavier, full-suspension 29ers I’ve ridden. My impression is that this is largely due to the absorbability of the carbon top and bottom tubes. I really couldn’t put a finger on what made it so stable, but I can tell you that I rode through a nasty rock section at high speeds repeatedly to make sure it wasn't a placebo effect.

For me, I purchased this bike as a race bike. However, I find myself riding it more than any of my other bikes (which are very nice as well). It is such a fun ride, and so fast on the climbs that you are disappointed when you get to the top. At $3K, a great deal.

Submitted by reesrider a Racer

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2013

Strengths:    Climbing, Descending, Racing

Bottom Line:
I have been riding/racing the Fezzari Solitude 29 Carbon since April and let me say that this bike RIPS. This bike climbs so good and descends amazing as well. The frame is awesome with all the latest innovations like tapered head tube internal cable routing and stiff yet compliant carbon. I have race this bike in short track races to long 50+ mile races and it has excelled at them all. I would recommend anybody that is looking for a carbon hard tail to look seriously at the Fezzari Solitude 29. One more thing that I really like about Fezzari is that they can custom build the bike to the riders spec and budget.

Favorite Trail:   Mill Canyon Trail, American Fork Utah

Purchased At:   Fezzari

Similar Products Used:   Giant XTC composite, Niner Air 9 Carbon, Titus Racer X Carbon,

Bike Setup:   XO drive train with XX brakes, Fox f29 RLC, Reynolds Carbon wheels, FSA post and stem, with Noir carbon bar.

Submitted by James a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2013

Strengths:    Light, fast, durable. Great components. The fit is perfect. The quality is great. I love the geometry. The front wheel stays firmly on the ground on climbs. It's so light I can throw it around easily. It puts more fun into riding.

Bottom Line:
One word - awesome! This bike is fast. It climbs fast, corners great. It is so light. Mine weighs 21 lbs. I have ridden this all summer and I'm beating all of my Strava times handily. I had a Niner alloy before and loved it, but this bike is in a class by itself. It's so quick and responsive. It's softer than my old bike but stiffer in the corners. I can't think of anything I would change. I just wish I could spend more time on it. I can't wait to get out and ride it again! If you're looking for a fast, light, cross country bike, you'll love this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Many