Felt Nine Sport 29er Hardtail

4.29/5 (7 Reviews)

Built around a double-butted 6061 aluminum frame, the 2012 Nine Sport is designed to optimize the trail riding advantages of larger 29-inch wheels. Equally adept at flowing over technical terrain or conquering the steepest climbs, the Nine Sport is made for performance. Built with a 100mm RockShox suspension fork, Shimano drivetrain, and powerful disc brakes, the Nine Trail is ready for your next off road adventure.
  • Frame: FELT Nine alloy Trail series 29'er frame, butted 6061 aluminum: w/ hydroformed top tube, IS disc mounts, oversized integrated head tube for semi-integrated headset, replaceable derailleur hanger
  • Fork: Rockshox XC28 TK Mag 29 100mm travel: 29'er fork, 1 1/8"" steel steerer tube, spring preload adjust, external rebound and turnkey lockout, magnesium lowers, post disc mount
  • Drivetrain: Shimano SL-M390 9 speed Rapid Fire shifters, Shimano Alivio front derailleur, Shimano Deore Shadow rear derailleur, Suntour XCR crankset KMC Z99 chain, Sram PG-950 Cassette
  • Components: Tektro Draco Hydraulic disc brake, Felt MTB oversized XC alloy riser bar, Felt MTB 3D-forged stem, Felt 6061 alloy twin clamp seatpost, Felt mountain saddle
  • Wheelset: 29'er Doublewall aluminum disc rims, forged alloy QR 8/9 speed cassette disc hubset, stainless 14g w/ brass nipples, WTB Prowler folding tires w/ Presta tubes
  • Finish: Orange Crush
  • Sizes: 29"" x 15.5"", 17.5"",19.5"",21.5""

Submitted by Kris a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2013

Strengths:    Quick and entertaining handling, stiff frame, good looks, well rounded package, neat detailing.

Weaknesses:    Very minor points - XC28 fork is slightly flexy, lack of seat post quick-release.

Bottom Line:
Firstly the size and 26-vs-29: I'm tall at 6'6 and this was my first 29:er. In 21,5" (XL) it's a pretty big bike and then comes the setback post and long stem. It feels incredibly right though and I'm absolutely never going back to 26".

For me this was an upgrade from the Nine Trail and the Rock Shox XC28 fork makes a big positive difference compared to the Suntour XCM/XCT etc. It basically turns the bike into a proper mtb. The Tektro hydraulic brakes are very good too.

Cant's say much more than that this is a worthy winner of the previously mentioned group test, the bike as a whole works well and should be a good base for upgrades.

Favorite Trail:   Årekärr

Similar Products Used:   Nine Trail

Submitted by Vincent K.

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2012

Strengths:    - Saddle is more comfortable to me than WTB Rocket V or Body Geometry Henge Comp (stock on Stumpjumper FSR Comp).
- Great geometry for climbing.
- Drive-train is decent. Once you get used to how hard to hit the front derailleur it's better.

Weaknesses:    - Tires: Geax AKA; They roll fast, but they don't grip that well or last very long.
- Brakes get squeaky fast.

Bottom Line:
If you've budgeted $1000 for a bike, this is a pretty good way to spend it, but I'd recommend upgrading to Specialized The Captain Grid tires or something similar.

Submitted by Carloswithac a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2012

Strengths:    *Great climbing prowess. I've gone up 18% grades without issues.
*Decent components for the price.
*Beautiful color on the frame. Get a lot of compliments on the trails.
*Great brakes
*Comfortable saddle
*Won BikeRadar's best 29er under $1000 shootout.

Weaknesses:    *The front derrailleur is the weak link in this setup.
*Heavy wheelset
*Entry-level XC28 fork

Bottom Line:
I've had my Nine Sport for a couple of months now and have thoroughly put it through its paces. It just rolls over obstacles like an old school Tonka truck. Climbs like no other bike I've had before (I've only ridden 26ers before this). The bike is so much fun to ride. The only thing I had trouble getting used to was the turning radius on tight single track.

My favorite thing about it is the Tektro brakes, they are simply amazing and have good modulation. The grips will definitely be upgraded because they beat up my hands after a while (no gloves). For the type of riding I do (mostly single/double track and rock gardens). it is a great bike.

I plan on upgrading to 2x10 XT over the summer, but that's mostly because I prefer a double setup and don't use my biggest ring often. I'll post a follow-up review when that happens. All in all, I feel purchasing a Felt Nine Sport for my first 29er was the correct choice for me.

The Nine Sport is a great contender in the world of entry-level 29ers.
Keep the rubber side down,
Carlos

Favorite Trail:   Daley Ranch

Purchased At:   Bicycle Warehouse

Similar Products Used:   Giant Anthem 29er.

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by John Walker a Weekend Warrior from West Chester, PA USA

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2012

Strengths:    Good gear ratio, entry level shocks do the job

Weaknesses:    The tires are awful

Bottom Line:
Great entry level 29er but be ready to upgrade
I gave 4 and 3 scores due to the tire grip and need for upgrades

Favorite Trail:   Wissahickon State Park

Purchased At:   EMS

Submitted by torreyaz a Cross Country Rider from Cave Creek, AZ USA

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2011

Strengths:    Frame geometry, cockpit, stock tires (Geax AKA), responsiveness, stock Felt saddle, attention to detail (color-coded fork graphics, stem spacers, spoke nipples, top cap, grips), paint color/graphics, FSA headset (semi-integrated)

Weaknesses:    Front fork (RockShox XC 28), Alivio FD, 700c WTB SX-17 wheelset, cable lengths (too long), a tad heavy.

Bottom Line:
2012 FELT NINE SPORT

The bottom line is I purchased this bike after reading a best-of article on Bike Radar for sub-$1000 29ers. Loved the color (orange crush)and the parts spec. I have been riding this bike for almost a month now on desert singletrack and I really like it, as compared to my old 26" HT. This bike is really responsive on technical climbs and really feels planted to the ground when it needs to be. The gearing is excellent albeit there's a lot of gearing overlap on a 3X9 drivetrain. I climb things with this bike that I never could get over on my old steel 26er, and that's a big plus. Felt does a really exceptional job on the details. The bike looks awesome and the graphics are really nicely done. Lots of color-coded niceties on the bike lends to a quality feel and attention to detail. The saddle top even has Felt branding across the top. Geax AKA tires work really well in a desert environment and this is the one stock component I would replace with like.

Fair balance: The front fork on this bike is an entry-level RockShox XC-28 (formerly Dart 3) and it feels entry-level . I'm 6'1", 190lbs so not a clyde by any stretch and this fork feels very flexy in hard cornering. The rebound works well but the preload adjust doesn't feel to me like it does very much. Keep in mind this is a coil-only shock, no air. The 28mm stancions are simply too narrow, IMO, to provide adequate stiffness to the front end. This bike should come stock with at least an RS XC-32 (32 mm stancions). The Shimano Alivio FD is entry-level as well and is ok for general XC riding, but probably won't last years. The WTB SX-17 wheels are 700c with a 17mm inner rim which could prove challenging if deciding to run tubeless due to the narrow width. I can't find any info on this rim from WTB's site but I'm thinking it's more of a cyclocross rim (that's how Stan's classifies this rim width) Felt should've opted for a true MTB rim here. I originally thought the Suntour XCR crankset was going to be a throw-away but so far it's performed pretty well. Surprisingly, the Tektro Draco hydraulics have performed fairly well but the front shudders a bit when the rotors get hot. No sqealing yet.

Overall, it's a great bike but not to the level of 'awesome', as stock. The frame geometry is fantastic and overall the bike is very responsive on singletrak and it climbs well. The frame is the same one used on the $2,300 Felt Nine Race, to my knowledge. I think Felt could improve the bike with the addition of the RS XC-32 (formerly the Tora TK?) fork. The 32mm dia stancions would improve on the flexy feel of the front end. I'm happy I made the Felt Nine choice and I won't hesitate to upgrade this bike in the future. With some reasonable upgrades, I believe it's possible to get the weight of this bike into the high 20's.

Favorite Trail:   anything in Cave Creek

Purchased At:   Sunday Cycles - Phoe

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Shimano M-520 clipless pedals and Slime tubes.

Submitted by bmh a Weekend Warrior from Louisville, Kentucky

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2011

Strengths:    It has a very rugged design. It loves to climb and I feel very confident going over all sorts of terrain. The bike is great for it's price point.

Weaknesses:    The stock brakes do make noise but they get the job done. The stock chain ring guard only lasted a month before it broke, but it is plastic so not much was expected. I've had a few instances of the chain getting stuck when shifting from the middle ring to the small ring and had to back pedal to get it free.

Bottom Line:
You get a great bike for the price you pay. I'm 6'3, 245lbs and this bike hasn't let me down yet.

Favorite Trail:   Cherokee/Seneca

Purchased At:   Cycler's Cafe

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by 911ace a Cross Country Rider from Austin, Texas

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2011

Strengths:    solid bike.....posted on my facebook after the first couple of rides "its like ridin a mountain goat on steroids". This bike climbs with ease and descends like a champ

Weaknesses:    Brakes....they do a good job but they squeek almost as soon as the brake handle is pulled...i plan on upgrading these brakes as soon as i can.

Bottom Line:
All around this bike is AWESOME...i am 6'1" @ 175lbs...the 19.5 frame is awesome and this bike handles better than some of the other 29ers i test road. The brakes get the job done but with some squealing. This bike has taken everything i have thrown at it and rolled right over it and was asking for more. Because of the brakes i would give this bike a 4.7 overall but couldn't. Great bike and great buy.

Favorite Trail:   Any Trail

Purchased At:   Jack & Adams

Bike Setup:   stock....for now (lookin to upgrade the fork and brakes)

2012 Felt Nine Sport vs. 2012 Trek Mamba

As the title states, I have an LBS and a Trek store giving the same price for these 2 bikes. I have read every possible review, compared spec sheets, the whole 9. I was wanting experience from someone who has ridden both, and has some viable information when trying to compare the 2. Any help mwou ... Read More »

Pics of my mildly upgraded Nine Sport

Hi all. I am a first year rider (although i road a lot in my youth) and bought a Felt Nine Sport last winter. I absolutely love this bike. I ride mainly AM. I decided to drop a couple bucks into it and these pics are the results. Other than some mild changes like removing the outer ring for a bash ... Read More »

Felt Nine Sport paint chipping

Hello everyone, this is my first thread. I have a Felt Nine Sport in the orange crush colour which I purchased a few weeks ago and have done about 100 miles on it so far. I've recently noticed that the paint chips off very easily especially near the bottom bracket. Is this common with Felt bikes? ... Read More »

Felt Nine Sport or Trek Cobia

Hey guys, another one getting into mountain bike riding. I used to ride alot back in the day and used to have a heap of fun with my Giant Boulder but it got destroyed after going on some majorly erosion worn fire tracks (quite technical) but would love to get on some single tracks and a bit of every ... Read More »

Edit: First ride with the Felt Nine Sport

I know, I know, kind of lame, but I haven't been MTBing in a while and have to regain my nerve. [img]http://i.imgur.com/3cSfJl.jpg[/img] I am more tired after 10 miles on the mountain bike than I am after 50 on the road bike! :D[/CENTER]Read More »