Felt Nine Solo 29er Hardtail

4.67/5 (12 Reviews)

FRAME: “Nine” Double Butted Aluminum Tubes, CNC Eccentric bottom bracket Shell, Curved seat tube, Forged Bottom Bracket yoke, Fully Integrated HT, Cold-Forged Vertical single speed Dropouts, Disc Specific.

FORK: RockShox Reba SL 29, Motion Control Damping w/Lockout, Dual Air Spring, 100/85mm All-Travel Adjust, 32mm 7000 Series Aluminum Stanchions, Rebound and Floodgate Adjust

DRIVETRAIN: Truvativ Stylo SS crankset, Felt Cromo 19t Single speed cassette sprocket. KMC Z610HX Single speed chain.

WHEELSET: WTB Laser Disc 29er Rims w/eyelets, Felt Single speed Cassette Hubset, Black Double Butted Stainless Steel 14/15G Spokes, Maxxis 29” 2.1 Crossmark Tires

COMPONENTS: Avid Juicy 5 Hydraulic Disc Brakes 160mm rotors, Fully-Integrated Headset, Felt Façade Dual Density Saddle, Alloy Seatpost, Forged/CNC stem, Butted Alloy Bar, Dual Density Grips

SIZES: 15.5 / 17.5 / 19.5 / 21.5”

COLOR: Matte Charcoal

WEIGHT: 24.8 lbs

Submitted by Mike Louvau a Cross Country Rider from Sebastopol, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2010

Strengths:    Man, this mother is fun to ride. Light, fast, handles great, and she's purty too.

Weaknesses:    Stock wheels were heavy, so I jettisoned them for some nice light Easton wheels and a King rear cog. Suspension action on the Reba is good, but it seems a bit flexy. I'll be going through axle on any future 29ers.

Bottom Line:
This bike will make you fast. It handles like a dream, doesn't beat you up over the rough stuff, and it's beautiful to look at (I think). Mine is a 2009, and has a cool powdery looking light green paint job. Bike is really at home on tight singletrack, and climbs like a monkey with it's tail on fire. My riding buddies hate when I ride this bike because I'm faster everywhere. Unfortunately for them, my other bikes never hit the trail, because this one is so much fun to ride. I highly recommend this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Paradise Royale

Similar Products Used:   My other SS is 26" Santa Cruz Chameleon, but I've owned dozens of bikes over the years.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Easton wheels, King rear cog, Thomson stem and seatpost, Easton Monkey light carbon bars, and SLR saddle (so I guess it's not that stock at all ~ frame, fork, cranks, and brakes are stock). I think she weighs about 22.5 lbs after the upgrades. Maybe a hair less.

Submitted by vuduvgn a Racer from Chico, CA

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2010

Strengths:    Good parts package, light, solid frame, travel adjustable fork.

Weaknesses:    Eccentric Bottom Bracket is a failure.

Bottom Line:
Great bike, fast, light, rides really well, corners incredibly well. The fork comes 80mm of travel and after a very short period of time I took it apart and changed it to 100mm of travel. Much better.
The 2009 version has a "Set Screw" type Eccentric Bottom Bracket which is a terrible design. Fail #1 - 3 mm allen head which very easily rounds out. Fail #2 - set screws are facing down and forward and come in direct contact with dirt, water, mud, etc. Fail #3 - set screw design ovalizes the eccentric bottom bracket. This is a problem because after it is adjusted it will creep back to where the set screws were originally set or where they were set with the most force. Fail #4 - Aluminum frame and steel set screws plus water equals galvanic action and the screws seize in place and cannot be moved because of the tiny 3 mm allen heads.

My phone call and internet communication with Felt was unsatisfactory. They did say that it was a problem, but that I should work it out with my local shop, which means up to hundreds of dollars to remove the set screws and a new "wedge" style bottom bracket, per Felt's recommendation. This last suggestion is almost an admission that the bottom bracket that shipped with the 2009 Felt Nine Solos was a bad design and should be replaced. However, they are not taking any financial responsibility for it.

Favorite Trail:   Tahoe Rim Trail

Purchased At:   Xtreme Outfitters

Similar Products Used:   Giant XTC Two2One singlespeed.

Bike Setup:   Stock with Stans wheels laced to Hope Pro II hubs, WTB Exiwolf tires, odi grips.

Submitted by deputyfl a Cross Country Rider from St Augustine Florida

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2009

Strengths:    The components were all good! Bike rides great. The most comfortable ride ive ever owned.

Weaknesses:    I honestly cant think of one to write :)

Bottom Line:
I really dont see any components that i want to change. This is the best bike ive owned to date. I absolutely love it!!

Favorite Trail:   wherever

Purchased At:   A1A Cycle Works

Similar Products Used:   Ive owned a GT, Specialized, Motobecane, Cannondale, and a few others.

Bike Setup:   Stock 09 model.

Submitted by prdnme a Racer from Carlsbad, CA

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2009

Strengths:    Very durable frame, lightweight, very strong EBB shell, and a great M geometry for my size(5'9"/165).

Weaknesses:    Avid Juicy Fives are noisy, but with a little work, they function well(this will be my first upgrade). Stock Maxxis Crossmarks have horrible traction climbing in the dry SoCal hills.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike on CL with about 50 miles of riding on it. It was a super deal and i love the bike for the price. I am not a fan of the shock on a SS, but I am getting used to it. The Reba is great for going downhill, and the lockout helps with the climbs. A great bike at the full MSRP price, but if you can find one for sale used, it's a steal!

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   '08 GT Peace 9r(my other rig)

Bike Setup:   2008 Stock. Love it!

Submitted by Marques a Weekend Warrior from kalamazoo mi

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2009

Strengths:    This is by far the most fun bike I've ever owned. It will turn every sunny day to christmas.

Weaknesses:    The color of the 09' is not the best, but the fun makes up for it.

Bottom Line:
Go Get U One Today!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Old Dougles

Purchased At:   Alfred E. Bike

Similar Products Used:   NONE!!!!

Bike Setup:   Laser v wtb seat, lizird skin grips, thorn proof tubes (really heavy),crank bros candy pedles, stylo bars, crank & fork skins.

Submitted by Wildduncan a Racer from Knoxville, TN, USA

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2009

Strengths:    Lightweight and durable. Good components

Weaknesses:    Stock Maxxis Crossmark tires spin out easily when climbing out of the saddle

Bottom Line:
I race this bike almost every weekend with decent finishes. Its fast, pretty light and sweet on the eyes!

Favorite Trail:   Big South Fork

Purchased At:   EBAY

Similar Products Used:   first 29er but second singlespeed

Bike Setup:   Upgraded to a Felt carbon bar and sexy white truvativ aka stem. Has Avid juicy 5's WTB LaserDisc wheelset and Truvativ Stylo cranks

Submitted by bammerhammer a Racer from Birmingham, AL

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2009

Strengths:    Frame. It is very solid and great welds.
I think the Reba fork may be better than my Fox fork on my other 29er.
Value, seems you acually get a little bit more than what you pay for.

Weaknesses:    Just the seatpost. It really isn't weak only too short(310mm)for my inseam. Changed it out with a Thomson.

Bottom Line:
Great rig. I bought it as a training bike and it has made me faster on my race rig. I find myself wanting to ride it more and more due to the simplicity of the SS. The bike is very solid and actually sticks to the ground at high speed and out of the saddle climbing.

Now I'm actually considering upgrading the wheelset and racing some SS with it.

Favorite Trail:   Oak Mtn

Purchased At:   Bike Link

Similar Products Used:   First SS, 2nd 29er.

Bike Setup:   Stock '08 size L except for the post listed above and also changed out the stem and bar to over size. Gives a more solid feel and it's just personal preference.

Submitted by rsquared28 a Racer from West Sacramento, Ca

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2009

Strengths:    Beefy EBB shell so no creaky bottom brackets. Clean welds. Lightweight.

Weaknesses:    Samll Block Eight tires spun out too often in rocky terrain - thats easy to fix though....

Bottom Line:
What a fun bike. I demo'd it twice, on totally different trails. Both times leaving thinking I just had the best ride I have ever had on that trail!!! I blew through some rock gardens that normally challenge me on my 5" FS trail rig.
The wheel set could be a little lighter. That would be the first thing for dropping weight, but otherwise, a great bike. I would highly recommend this bike for anybody looking at buying a single speed. It is at the top of my bike buying short list!!

Favorite Trail:   Auburn area

Purchased At:   Mad Cat Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Haro Mary SS

Bike Setup:   Stock - Reba 29er fork, WTB wheels, Hayes Stroker Trail brakes, Stylo cranks, 32x19 gearing, Felt bars, stem, seatpost, saddle, hubs.

Submitted by Jrod Hanley a Cross Country Rider from Eugene, OR

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2008

Strengths:    Decent components for the mula. Light frame with plenty o' flex for aluminum. For me, nice geometry for endurance riding.

Weaknesses:    Handlebars were too narrow, but that is an easy fix. Rear cog is cheap - replaced with surly.

Bottom Line:
I don't know how much of this is simply attributable to 29 inch wheels or just the bike, but I am digging it. Things just feel silky smooth, corners seem banked, logs are smaller. All is well when I am on this thing.

Favorite Trail:   Next One

Purchased At:   Life Cycle

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   New Monkey Lite H-bar and surly cog. Stock otherwise.

Submitted by thubeav a Cross Country Rider from Decatur, GA

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2008

Strengths:    BIG wheels. Tight frame. Good parts. Solid all around. Big frame. 21.5 in. Now you're talking.

Weaknesses:    Maybe the saddle. I'll tell you how long the chain holds up later. Definitely saving for a better cog.

Bottom Line:
On a swoopy down hill yesterday, I rode away from two guys on their 6 in. travel bikes. They couldn't cut the little up hill interruptions. No pedaling. While I was able to hammer a few strokes and be gone. The bike seemed to pull me over the top. It is sooo much faster than my 26 in. "Custom Shop Name" bike.
With a frame that fits right and a roomy cockpit I can actually breath better and my day was so much better than ever. I'm 6' 2" and 216 lbs. My breathing was better, my back didn't hurt and I rode somewhat further than usual. I definitely rode faster than usual.
I think it will take several weeks to train up to riding at this new level. We'll update you then.

Favorite Trail:   Pinhoti Snake Creek Gap TT

Purchased At:   A Trail of Wheels, S

Similar Products Used:   None. Loads of 26 inchers.

Bike Setup:   Spec. Avid 5s. Felt stem, seatpost and bars. Basic wheels.

Submitted by 7iron a Cross Country Rider from Florida

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2008

Strengths:    handles awesome,very responsive

Weaknesses:    stock bars

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike in Feb.`08 and my `06 Giant Trance1 has been hanging on the wall since. I think if you were looking for something a little different this is an awesome bike.Did I say how great it handles? It is a blast to ride.

Favorite Trail:   Santos

Purchased At:   San Antonio Cyclery

Bike Setup:   2008 17.5 Felt Nine Solo,stock except I changed the wheels and tires to American Classics and Continental Mountain kings,Funn Fatboy bars,different Felt stem to fit the 31.8 bars,Steve Peaty grips

Submitted by D Houston a Cross Country Rider from Auburn, Ca, US

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2008

Strengths:    Excellent value for dollar. Well equipped and the frame while light and supple is stiff and durable.

Weaknesses:    Juicy Fives are a bit undersized and a underwhelming in performance compared to other Avid products. Stock handle bars were a bit squat.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. It has turned me into a true convert. I have a Moots 26' YBB collecting dust ($5,500 invested) because it does not compare in comfort or ride. I have my eyes on an Orbea Alma 29er for gears.

Favorite Trail:   Foresthill Divide Loop