Felt Nine Pro 29er Hardtail

4.62/5 (13 Reviews)

Submitted by sevenzero a Cross Country Rider from Planet Spaceballs

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2011

Strengths:    Light, stiff, excellent quality and construction, geometry is spot on @ 80mm. A small frame is a small frame.

Weaknesses:    It's army green, the FELT logo on the downtube is always YELLING at people on the trail.

Bottom Line:
Many bike companies are going the way of the space craft with their frame designs now, the Felt Nine has a classic style, excellent quality and functions amazing. I'm 200lbs ride my bike several days a week, a few of our trails are pretty rocky and rugged. Felt was one of the few companies with a truly small 29er frame that looked normal and wasn't a grip for an aluminum hardtail. I would recommend this frame to anyone in the market for a 29er XC hardtail. I would never consider going back to a 26" hardtail. There are a ton of arguments in favor of the larger wheel, the truth for me, an average rider... It's a smoother, faster ride. The bike handles WAY better with the fork at 80mm vs 100mm.

Favorite Trail:   The Swartz

Purchased At:   Used

Similar Products Used:   All manner of 26" frames.

Bike Setup:   XT, Dual control, Reba, CROSSMAX, Easton, etc.

Submitted by dutko a Weekend Warrior from Fort Collins Colorado

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2009

Strengths:    The bike in general is pretty kick ass. Its not the Pro, I bought the comp instead and made a few modifications right off the bat.

Weaknesses:    Front Fork, Tora 318. I blew the o-ring with about 50 miles on the bike. (replaced under warranty) and the shimano breaks had a recall but that was fixed before I even picked up the bike.

Bottom Line:
Im real happy with the bike.
Not a huge fan of the new orange paint jobs for 09.
But maybe im just not that Steazy.

Favorite Trail:   Sandy Wash

Purchased At:   Full Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Salsa dos niner

Submitted by Euro Trash a Cross Country Rider from Germany

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2008

Strengths:    My first 29er and I love it! It rides like nothing else I have tried. I doubt I will ever ride a 26" again.

Weaknesses:    The wheel set pretty much sucks. They will be replaced by something lighter and something that will stay true.

Bottom Line:
A great ride that is worth some tuning. I will go for a better set of wheels and a Ritchey WCS cock pit, with a Ritchey WCS Carbon seat post. Then I have all the bike I need. Maybe I will update to faster Schwalbe or Continental tires, even though the Maxxis are alright. I recommend this ride to any and all who wants a hardtail 29er and who doesnt want to spend a fortune.

Similar Products Used:   First 29er

Bike Setup:   Stock set up with 08 XT. The Shimano took some adjusting coming from SRAM but now I love it. Swapped to a Specialized Toupé Gel (the Felt stock saddle was horrific) and white handles (to match the saddle...).

Submitted by LINES a Cross Country Rider from St. Louis, Mo USA

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2008

Strengths:    Build kit, Build kit, Build kit, Build kit, Build kit, Build kit, Build kit, Build kit.

The Nine Pro comes with FULL XT kit. 08 has upgraded the breaks from the Avids to the XT Center lock breaks. I like the XT better.

Weaknesses:    The stock rims are crap. I have been Mt. Biking for several years now and have never taco'ed a wheel before these... I have built up a tubeless set now and have no issues.

Bottom Line:
Bottom line I dont think you can beat this bike for the money. I am not a huge fan of the frame fit but thats a me issue. Its stiff and climbs really well in or out of the saddle.

Favorite Trail:   The Bluff

Purchased At:   Big Shark Bike Coman

Similar Products Used:   GF Paragon, Kona 29er

Bike Setup:   Full XT, XTR hubs with Stans rims, Easton cockpit.

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2008

Strengths:    This bike is amazing; I was really surprised with how much bike I got for 1800$. The bike is built up pretty nicely, full XT, reba race shock and WTB laser disk wheels laced to XT hubs.

It’s my first 29er and I’m very thankful my brother and Chad talked me into getting it versus a 26er. The bike handles very well and feels a lot more natural than anything else I've tried(difficult to explain but once you've road one you'll understand).

Weaknesses:    The finishing kit is heavy but at the price it's to be expected.

Bottom Line:
If you're looking for a great bike that's race ready with out breaking the bank this is the bike for you.

As I said above, it's my first 29er so I can't say how it would stack up against others. What I can say is that switching from a 26er to a 29er is a night and day difference.

There are lots of skeptics out there, most won't even try a 29er, who will argue that a 29er is a fad but if you try one with an open mind you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Favorite Trail:   the hydrocut

Purchased At:   Red Barn Bikes

Similar Products Used:   It's my first 29er so I really can't comment but in this price bracket a Garry Fisher Paragon or a Salsa Mamsita would be two other bikes to look at.

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Clyde a Weekend Warrior from Ann Arbor, MI

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2008

Strengths:    For the 2007 model: Good weight for no-carbon. A strong frame - I am 240' and 6'3" and the frame, parts and Reba race have performed well, no noises, no damage/wear - tough paint, 3 good wrecks and no scratches -
As mentioned everywhere, GREAT PARTS - not totally over the top (but almost there for a bike off the shelf). Search as you may - I doubt you will find a better price for this XT(R)/Juicy7/Reba Race setup. Any upgrades will jump the price in a big way (SID, XTR, Hayes, or the wheelset, each by itself will add hundreds.)

Weaknesses:    Machined wheels are weak when you begin reaching $2grand for a bike - They could have at least hand tuned them.

Bottom Line:

5 chilis for price, parts and overall toughness.

The Nine Pro rocks. I would easily buy it again over any other ride in this dollar range. Riding is good again.

It is tough too, I need a war machine and this bike is measuring up.

As with any bike, get sized and fit at the LBS if you can, and make sure you know how to make some proper adjustments to really settle in for specific riding. Everything is adjustalbe on the Nine Pro from the brake reach and pressure and pad distance to the Reba +/- travel and damping air pressure, this is not your grandpa's bike.
Proper fitting and adjustments make a big difference with bikes in this catagory - ZINNcycles.com can help you out for generic measurements, just fill in the blanks for a good starting point.

Favorite Trail:   Any dirt - up down and back again

Similar Products Used:   I have yet to ride a "bad" 29er in the $1500+ price range -different yes, bad no. The Specialized Rockhopper at $800 was poor in comparison but that was mostly the Dart fork. S' bikes at 1800 are damn good.

Bike Setup:   Off the shop floor with a Blackspire Big Ring protector and Ergon grips (nice)

Submitted by Jeremy Gwin a Cross Country Rider from Story, AR, USA

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2008

Strengths:    Weight, Componets, Geometry, Handeling, Climbs like a goat, Price Point, Outstanding Bike.

Weaknesses:    I had to make minor adjustments to my body position while climbing very steep terrain to keep the front wheel down and maintain traction, but this is expected from the short chainstay length.

Bottom Line:
This bike is awesome for this price or even more. The componets are great and the frame fits perfectly. I have always had trouble finding bikles that fit me well. I am that akward size between a medium and a large but this bike feels like it was made for me. My downhills are getting better and climbs are a lot easier, but the biggest surprise is how much faster I can ride the gravel and forest service roads mixed in the trails I ride. This bike is helping me become a better rider and I would recommend it to anyone that wants a quality 29er hardtail.

Favorite Trail:   Womble

Purchased At:   Highlander Cycling

Similar Products Used:   GF Paragon, Specialized RH and SJ, Kona 29er.

Bike Setup:   Stock with Stans Tubeless conversion, ergo grips, and Shimano 550 clipless.

Submitted by BuzzMan Fly a Racer from Madison, MS

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2008

Strengths:    Rolling resistance has drastically reduced. Both front and rear roll over obstacles much easier than a 26in hardtail. Turning is much more stable and then suprisingly "ok" in the tight switchback corners. The 2008 XT is awesome. Drivetrain is stiff, shifting is crisp, and the 2008 levers with the servo-cam is the show stopper with the progressive force application. Rear wheel lock up has been reduced by 75% and will improve with more experience. Braking for me is awesome as I am amazed it can stop my 215lbs of mass to take a tight turn. Traction is better by 25%-50% even though the tires are close to 2.1 versus that I am accustomed to riding on 2.3's on the 26in. The maxxis crossmarks are extremely light and hold very well on both hard pack and soft litter. There is plenty of room if need to go larger on tire width, but I don't see why you would need to. The Crossmarks are a great option for a tubed race tire, side walls probably too thin for a no-tubes conversion. Climbing traction is good and can handle the tight switchback climbs at low speed with good stability. The bike overall is plenty stiff when I stand up and crank the power to get up and over short hills.(215lbs). If I can't flex a bike frame and wheels, most of you won't be able to either. 19.5 frame weighs, with barends and pedals, 26.9lbs.

Weaknesses:    Stem, bar, grips are not my favorite. Saddle with raised stitching is not good for shorts or endurance riding. The padding and shape are great but the stitching ruined it. Ground clearance is less than my Giant hardtail as I catch the chainring on an obstacle that I used to clear and I do catch a peddle more often. That must be the reason why this bike turns at speed so well. Did I say I hated the grips?

Bottom Line:
I have 6.5 hours on the Felt Nine Pro. My initial reaction was whoa..it's gonna take a lot more power than my 26 to move this thing, until with some time I realized that my gearing should drop due to increased wheel travel. I am accustomed to riding mostly in the big ring but thats different now. The bike is definetly faster than my old 26in but I haven't yet had time to determine the performance envelope yet. This bike is a steal. If you don't like hardtails then you may not like this bike. If you are a hardtail fan, and can't affored an Alma frame this is worthy of consideration.

The 4 overall rating is because I am sure that a tricked out Alma 29 would take the the highest rating of hardtails. A guy can dream can't he?

The 5 value rating is because this is the most bike you can get for the dollar.

Purchased At:   ProBike Shop in Brandon, MS

Similar Products Used:   Giant

Bike Setup:   Full XT, used my old seatpost with seatback, Selle Italia Signo saddle

Submitted by Geoff Chapman a Weekend Warrior from Pittsburgh, Pa

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2008

Strengths:    I have had an '08 Felt Nine Pro since mid-Dec, and have had it out for 20+ rides in the Pittsburgh winter (think lots of hills, occasional snow, often sloppy and muddy).

This is my first 29er, after a year on a Jamis Hardtail (also aluminum). I have ridden over 8 years, but this last year was my first MTB year. I weigh 195 and am 5' 11", and 60 years old.

I love the Felt Nine Pro. I have loved the change from 26 to 29. EVERYTHING got 10% easier: climbing, managing roots and rocks and trees and small jumps, flats, and maneuverability. It is about 25.5 lbs, far lighter than my Jamis.

It has great components, a substantial upgrade from their '07 offering, and components were my primary concern. I wanted a frame that wouldn't rust, and last a decade of riding. The frame has been modified from the '07 model ('forged' chainstay yoke, BB height and FT angle), which demonstrated to me a framebuilder who was attentive and learning.

I was astounded to find that the Felt 29 was 1/2 inch closer to the ground than my Jamis 26 when measuring from the bottom of the large chainring to the floor. I had to think long and hard about why it rode over logs so much easier when it actually had less clearance!!! I am still not sure I fully understand that, but it is undeniably true. I definitely felt I was riding in a cockpit rather than on top of one (as with my 26er). A review of the '07 to '08 geometry and yoke changes can be read here: http://reviews.mtbr.com/interbike/felt-nine-pro-nine-elite-nine-comp-and-nine-solo/

Weaknesses:    I am not in a good place to fully assess this.

The improvement over my 26" hardtail was so significant, that I've not been unhappy with anything on this bike. I don't race, and ride hills on horse trails about 1.5 hours at a time, 3X per week. The hills are often steep, with lots of streams to cross along the way. When I first started MTBing last year, I fell 20 times on my forst 25 rides, almost all because I couldn't get my feet out of my SPD clip-ins (in spite of years using Look Clip-ins on road bikes). I changed to a good Shimano pedal and multi-release clips and focused on riding withing my steadily improving skills and I have hardly fallen since. I stay within that set of boundaries. Because I don't bomb hills, race or jump, I am certainly not pushing the bike to its full capacity, and might not notice weaknesses that better riders might see.

Bottom Line:
Some of my positive comments reflect my transition from 26er to 29er, and some of them may shed some light on the Felt Nine Pro. My price was $1780 (some $400 off MSRP) at my LBS, where I have bought bikes for years. Tough to beat, I thought - and still think.

Favorite Trail:   Local Horse Trails

Purchased At:   Local Bike Store

Similar Products Used:   Jamis Hardtail - Dakota Sport

Bike Setup:   Stock '08

FRAME:
“Nine” Double Butted Aluminum Tubes, Curved seat tube, Forged Bottom Bracket yoke, Fully Integrated HT, Cold-Forged Dropouts, Disc Specific.

FORK:
RockShox Reba Race 29, Motion Control Damping w/Lockout, Dual Air Spring, 100/85mm All- Travel Adjust, Hollow Crown, 32mm 7000 Series Aluminum Stanchions, Rebound and Floodgate Adjust

DRIVETRAIN:
Shimano Deore XT “Shadow Rear, XT Front derailleur, XT Rapid fire shifters, XT Crankset and XT Cassette. HG-73 Chain.

WHEELSET:
WTB Laser Disc 29er Rims w/eyelets, Shimano Deore XT Hubset w/ Centerlock disc mounts, Black Double Butted Stainless Steel 14/15G Spokes, Maxxis 29” 2.1 Crossmark Tires,

COMPONENTS:
Shimano Deore XT Servo wave Hydraulic Disc Brakes 160mm rotors, Fully-Integrated Headset, Felt Façade Dual Density Saddle, Alloy Seatpost, Forged/CNC stem, Butted Alloy Bar, Dual Density Grips
COLOR: Oak Moss Green

WEIGHT: 25.3 lbs

Submitted by Joe Nader a Weekend Warrior from Port Sanilac, MI. USA

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2007

Strengths:    Very light and nimble for a 29er. Some excellent components but not all!

Weaknesses:    (1)OEM Chain...garbage. Frozen link at mile 13, day one. (2) Avid Juicy Sevens...noisy, vibrate, shudder, unpredictable, hate em. (3) Felt seat post...garbage. Saw one bend 45 degrees while racing the Addison Oaks X country race last month. (4) Felt handlebars and stem...garbage. The bike mechanic and bike shop owner where I purchased this bike told me so? I did notice some unusual groaning and creaks in the handlebar area at approx. 400 trail miles. I plan an upgrade this winter.

Bottom Line:
I overpaid after studying other reviews. I was really disappointed with the frozen chain. Cost me $50 for an upgrade. The bike shop handled this obvious warranty issue poorly too. Look for my review on the Avid Juicy Seven brakes. The rear brake is so bad! It looks like the only Felt parts I like are the frame and seat...jeeze. The frame is really cool with just the right amount of rear tire-to-frame clearance and toe-to-tire clearance up front while turning. Some of the 29er's I tried out didn't have toe-to-tire clearance while turning. I thought this was very important. Good design job Felt Bicycle Engineers!

Favorite Trail:   Brighton SRA

Purchased At:   Brighton Bike Botique

Similar Products Used:   Canondale Lefty 29er
Intense 29er

Bike Setup:   See http://www.feltracing.com/products/product.asp?catid=18,23,1446&pid=8569

Submitted by avery brown a Weekend Warrior from penfield ny

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2007

Strengths:    light, fast, great parts for the price (not the wheels)

Weaknesses:    bar is crap but the wheels are sh*t 7 miles into my second ride on the bike the rear wheel was so out of true the tire was hitting the frame and the front wheel was just as bad. im 5'7" and 120 pounds and this happend if i was any heavier they would have tacoed. this happend because the wheels are machine laced with crap spokes so now i have to go spend 100$ dollars on nice spokes and 50$ to have them laced by a master wheel builder.

Bottom Line:
real good deal for the parts but you should spend some money and building a reliable pair of wheels.

Favorite Trail:   dryer road

Purchased At:   topath bike shop

Similar Products Used:   niner elite, and paragon

Submitted by JC a Weekend Warrior from Bayarea, CA

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2007

Strengths:    Complete built with top notch parts. Good built quality. Light, strong frame. Great climber, fast and stable on decent.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
I took Chad at Red Barn's advice on getting this. For the money, this bike is almost unbeatable.
As for trying out the 29er craze.. I didn't want to spend too much.

Let me start by saying this bike is a blast!! I had so much fun riding it for the first time. No problem on climbs, and downhill is just pure speed and smiles. Very comfortable ride, the large frame fits me great. (6'1" 210lbs) Magura brake is an awesome upgrade to this great ride.

My only fear now is when I should ride my Motolite again... =).

Favorite Trail:   Saratoga Gap, Water-dog park

Purchased At:   Red Barn Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Ellsworth Joker 26er(sold), Titus Motolite 26er(06)...this is my first 29er

Bike Setup:   Upgraded Juicy 7s with Magura Martas. OEM setup.

Submitted by Eric a Weekend Warrior from Michigan

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2007

Strengths:    ~25lbs stock, XTR and XT gear set plus Juicy 7 brakes, wheels set is extra tight as WTB rims allow for extra spoke tension, has XT hubs. no bling - gray green paint and a black fork make it almost invisible. VERY FAST - FELT FAST.

Weaknesses:    Aluminum (6061) was not my first choice for a 29'er - but all my steel frames pushed me well over $2k and I am not that well off. Also, this is the very first lineup of 29'ers from Felt (not even in their 2007 catalogue) So I am a guinea pig.

Bottom Line:
I wanted to get my initial reactions down for those looking to buy a new 29'er or interested in the FELT versions - as there are more and more 29er's coming on line (see Sp and the 2008 GF line)BTW I am 6'3" 230# with a shorter inseam.

I choose the Felt Nine Pro because the component set was great for off the shelf - my budget was below 1800 and it fit me very...very well. I hoped to ride a Fisher Ferrous - but alas - none seem to be available and LBS said late June at the earliest. I also gave the Paragon a good look - and it was great except for the price given the parts. While very similar, between the 2 - the Felt had better parts. I think with Fisher you have to buy the name and the TREK marketing.
The Nine Pro is very well balanced, handles exceedingly well, turns on a dime - stops on a dime - great climbing - plus the big MO of the 29 wheel set just adds to the party. A tight grouping of parts - The Juicy 7's are awesome - talk about adjust-ability. And the Reba Race fork adjusts just as much. The XT shifters were a significant upgrade for me - wow - they really help with the power and balance due to quick shifting. You can really dial this bike in to fit any rider and any style of rider. The wheel set is great for off the shelf - WTB Laserdisc Trail 29'er rims have an "I" beam design so the 32 spokes can be extra tight - while my LBS wheel Zen master says the Salasa Race Delgado sets the 29'er MTB standard for weight, price, and strength - the Laserdisc Trials are more meaty for my 230lb frame. I hope it translates into less problems - I would rather avoid any wheel problems at this point.

My decision to buy also was based on Jim Felt himself - He has a professional history of Motocross and engineering. His riders have won a ton of races over the decades in various competitions - and certainly lost many races as well. that teaches you to make better bikes. And as a engineer he has the know how. And he builds fast bikes - the B2 road bike is dynamite. I wanted a fast but tough 29'er - I choose Felt.

More after a few months.

Favorite Trail:   poto

Similar Products Used:   Tested the Caffeine with a lefty, Paragon, Cobia, a Giant tricoss, Niner, Kona and a Sonoma SS- all were great rides. The Cannondale lefty was sluggish for me, the Paragon was overpriced for the component setup. The Kona did not fit my geometry, The Niner is just a knockout - wish I could own one.

Bike Setup:   all stock so far.

Cube LTD Pro 29 vs. Merida BIG.NINE TFS XT-EDITION

Hi! I want a new bike, 29er. I'm ride without the extreme, just on country dirt roads, macadam, forest trails. So, i need touring bike ([B]with rack mount[/B]), but with good suspension. I choose this two bikes: 1) Cube LTD Pro 29 - 1500$ [I]cube.eu/en/hard/cross-country/ltd-pro-29-black/[/I] ... Read More »

PAID SPAM - 2009 Felt Team Nine - FOX fork - New Stans Crest/ Hope Pro 2 Evo wheels

[url=http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=75677&title=2009-felt-team-ninefox-forknew-stans-crest-2f-hope-pro-2-evo-wheels-&cat=38]2009 Felt Team Nine - FOX fork - New Stans Crest/ Hope Pro 2 Evo wheels. - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories[/url] Ebay [url=http ... Read More »

STOLEN: Felt Pro Nine 29er in Auburn, CA

Looks like my black cat walked by. My bike was stolen from my sister's house in Auburn on Friday the 13th! So if you see anyone trying to sell this bike on craigslist, beware, it's hot! Here's the specs: • Green Felt Pro Nine hardtail frame (small) • White Manitou Minute 29er fork • Sun Ringle whee ... Read More »

Bandersnatch or Felt Nine Pro?

I'm building my first bike, and I'm debating over which frame to buy. I've read/heard great things about Vassago, but I've recently come across a VERY cheap Felt Nine frame. Bandersnatch new is $529 (with ODIS fork), Felt Nine is new, and under $200, which would allow me to fit a kick ass carbon f ... Read More »

Felt Nine Pro vs Orbea Lanza..help me choose

I am going HT, I like HT as I'm a hard ass anyway. These are my two choices both are very well appointed in components and weigh within .5lb of each other, both below 26lbs. Both are within $100 of each other. The issues I see are: The 2007 Lanza has poor tire clearance but is scandium. The Fel ... Read More »