Felt Nine Elite 29er Hardtail

4.65/5 (17 Reviews)

Stiff yet compliant, lightweight yet durable. The UHC Performance carbon fiber frame of the Nine Elite provides all the characteristics you dream of in a fast, race-ready hardtail. Factor in the smooth, surefooted ride of its 29-inch wheels plus a smart mix of durable SRAM components and a RockShox Reba SL fork- you have a bike that makes riding singletrack more fun than ever before.

Felt Nine Elite 29er Hardtail Pro Review

Andy Holmes from Felt shows us the line of Nine Series bikes for 2012. The Felt Nine line includes the new Comp with a higher end alloy frame and good quality componentry, the Team, Elite, Race, Sport and Trail models. Continue reading →

Submitted by Dancecomp28 a Racer from Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2012

Strengths:    This is a really great all around trail/ recreational use bike! It doesn't race well because of its weight,it tends to get left behind during xc racing and it is kinda held back because you can't really carve and rip with others. As far as a recreational all rounder the bike is amazing! The Carbon Frame is really stiff, and the ride is very top notch. The spec is pretty good although at 3000 (current retail) I think this bike and the frame really deserve a better drivetrain, like an XT setup. However, having said that the drivetrain and brakes work really well and it'll take a beating and keep right on going without having to think about it. Brakes are really strong and the SLX brakes grab hard and are very consistant. This bike really excels on the down hills and flat sections that are really technical.

Weaknesses:    The spec while great is really on the heavy side. The wheels (WTB all mountains) are very heavy (2100 grams for the Wheel set!!!) SLX brakes and drivetrain work great but are very heavy. However this bike is very upgradeable and I've upgraded many parts of the bike with great results. The Handlebar, seat post, saddle again suffer from the same issues.

Bottom Line:
Overall really great bike for recreational use, just don't try to race it.

Favorite Trail:   Frick Park

Purchased At:   Top Gear

Similar Products Used:   Focus Black Forrest 29er HT - Junk, this bike was ALWAYS in the shop.

Bike Setup:   Drivetrain, Race Face 36/26 double, XT Front Derailer, XT rear cassette, XTR Shadow Plus rear Derailer, XT pedals
Brakes, still stock for the moment
Wheels, Stan's Notubes Crest and ZTR Hubs
Tires, Rocket Rons, tubeless
Seatpost, Thompson Elite
Saddle, Specialized Phenom Comp gel
Handle Bar, Race Face Carbon
Fork, RockShox Reba 120mm with remote hydraulic lockout
Ergon Grips
Chris King Headset
Salsa race lightweight bash guard.
28.51lbs stock
23.47lbs (currently)

Submitted by Cainam a Weekend Warrior from Bremerton, WA

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2011

Strengths:    Strength to weight ratio on this frame is incredible!

Weaknesses:    Painted spokes are a bit cheezy.

Bottom Line:
I've had some bad luck lately with my bikes. My Specialized got stolen, and the Cannondale Flash 3 carbon I got to replace it was a piece of trash, so when I found this FELT on sale (2010 model) for $2000, I grabbed it. For a light weight carbon frame, I can't believe how stiff it is! It does have more flex than a hard core dirt jump frame, but it weighs half as much. BLISS!

The 9 speed SLX stuff on it works perfectly, even if it is a bit heavy. Easy to upgrade a piece at a time to XTR, though. The frame is worth the good stuff. The brakes are already sized up from 185/160 to 203/185, and Avid BB7s do the grabbing.

Favorite Trail:   The one that leads AWAY from work

Similar Products Used:   Only other 29er was a Cannondale Flash 3 carbon - junk

Bike Setup:   Stock (all SLX stuff) but I swapped in Avid BB7 brakes and speed dial levers, put the 180 front disc on the back, and got a 203 for the front

Submitted by h2o-x a Cross Country Rider from North Sound, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2011

Strengths:    Light, great climber, great geometry, light, quick, light, fast... did I mention light?

Weaknesses:    None so far...

Bottom Line:
I got a great deal on the frameset and scrounged the rest of the componentry. The bike climbs and handles incredibly well and it's fast as hell. (It's even faster with others riding it, or so my friends tell me.)

I am currently running the Reba at 100mm, but the geometry is spec'd for 80mm of travel. At the oil change, I am going to insert the spacers for 80mm travel to see how that affects the steering. (Not that it steers poorly now, I just want to see the difference.)

For me, this is the ultimate XC rig.

Favorite Trail:   Monarch Crest Trail

Purchased At:   internet

Similar Products Used:   Specalized Stumpjumper Comp, Specialized FSR Epic, Motobecane Fantom 29Pro SL, GT Zaskar 9r Pro, Motobecane Outcast 29er

Bike Setup:   Reba RL Fork
XTR Rear Der
XT Cassette
Truvativ Noir Cranks
Truvativ GXP Team BB
Avid Elixir CR Brakeset (160 rear/185 front)
Roval Control EL Wheelset

Submitted by MazzellaMAS a Cross Country Rider from Mystic, CT

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2011

Weaknesses:    The components on the bike are kind of lame, for the frame it does deserve more, i just put a SRAM X.0 groupset on it thought... the wheels and tires as well can/should be upgraded

Bottom Line:
Great bike, needs some more invested if bought, but i am very very happy and i would recommend this bike to anybody, i will never go back to a 26" bike.

Favorite Trail:   New England

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher SS Superfly

Bike Setup:   Rithey carbon stem/handlebar, x.0 groupset, american classic wheelset, kenda karma tires,

Submitted by JeanVW14 a Cross Country Rider from Cape Town, SA

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2011

Strengths:    Unbelievable speed once you get the wheels rolling up or downhill - just aim and pull the trigger! Takes a lot out of the hard work out of technical descents. Very good bang for buck! Identical frame as the top end felt - just a different paintjob so you get all the performance from the frame, and you can upgrade the pieces as it suits your pocket.

Weaknesses:    The standard Felt pieces on it (Seatpost, stem, saddle) are on the heavy side, and the bullhorn handlebars are cheap.The wheels and tyres also need upgrading.

Bottom Line:
Nothing else like it in the price band... GET THIS BIKE!

Favorite Trail:   Tokai

Purchased At:   Cyclelab

Similar Products Used:   Raleigh R9.0 Carbon Hardtail, Scott Spark RC.

Bike Setup:   This is what I have changed on the bike - Custom built wheelset (Hope Hubs, DT Swiss Revolution Spokes, ZTR Crest Rims), Conti 2.2 tubeless tyres (Mountain King front, Race King rear), X9 double crank, KCNC Darkside Flat Handlebars, KCNC ti8000 seatpost, KCNC EVA Grips, Momsen Design Bar Ends, flipped the stem.

Submitted by hillslayer a Racer from Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2011

Strengths:    Great Geometry, light stiff frame

Weaknesses:    Terrible spec. The frame deserves better. The only decent stock components are the cassette with a narrow range, the rear derailleur, and the tires. Also the finish of the frame scratches very easily. Mine already has many ugly white and black nicks in the nice blue paint.

Bottom Line:
I like the bike but the components are mostly heavy and cheap. The blue spokes are nice but the wheels are heavy-ish. The x7 is heavy and the shifting is choppy. I am saving up for x9 shifters and a lighter crank. I would give it 5 chilis despite that if it weren't for the easily-scratched finish. I rarely crash and my bike is littered with ugly scratches. Still a decent bike for racing and trails

Favorite Trail:   Airborne, Magic Carpet

Similar Products Used:   Spesh Stumpjumper ht 26 inch wheels, SC Chameleon

Bike Setup:   ea 90 stem, ea 50 400mm post, m520s, otherwise stock

Submitted by jashburn a Cross Country Rider from Winston-Salem, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2011

Strengths:    Lightweight. Great ride quality.

Weaknesses:    Matte finish on frame

Bottom Line:
So this is my first review on this site but I have been using the site for years. I had to review this bike because I am really impressed. The first thing you have to know is that I have been riding full suspension 26"s for years and love the ride. I went to 29er's because I like the idea of being able to roll over things easier and keeping my speed up once I achieved momentum. The problem is that I weigh 140 lbs and most 29er's are relatively heavy and feel like you're driving a semi. When I went to pick out my first carbon bike, I walked into my LBS and said "give me a full suspension 29er in carbon." They walked over to this bike and said, this is what you want. With one ride I was sold. Even though it's a hardtail, the carbon stays and tubeless tires I put on the bike give it a soft ride better than my full suspension. And the weight??????? - just shy of 23lbs!!!! Please realize that I swapped out the wheels, tires, handlebar, and seat post but that still isn't bad. The bike is so easy to get up to speed. It corners well because even though it's a 29er, you sit low in between the wheels. Me being a lightweight, this bike allows me to drive a 29er that weighs less than most 26" bikes. The only thing I don't like is that the finish is a matte finish instead of glossy so scratches may show up worse. Other than that, this bike is incredible and I would definitely recommend it.

Favorite Trail:   Tsali, NC

Purchased At:   Clemmonsville Bike S

Similar Products Used:   This is my first 29er

Bike Setup:   SRAM X9 derailer. Hutchinson tires. Easton 90XC wheels. Carbon stem and handle bar - Richey

Submitted by Paul R a Cross Country Rider from Southgate, MI

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2010

Strengths:    Very lively for a large frame and 29in wheels! Excellent craftsmenship and quality.

Weaknesses:    SLX Components are a little heavy and could not get the bike to shift very good, swapped for an XTR deraileur and that fixed the problem. WTB wheel set on my 09 model is a bit chunky too especially if u plan on racing the bike.

Bottom Line:
Incredible machine, although if u plan on being anymore than a weekend warrior you'll need to drop some more coin on components to make it a "dream" ride.

Favorite Trail:   Ft. Custer Rec Area

Purchased At:   Roll Models

Similar Products Used:   First 29er, and I would never get back on a 26in bike! Huge advantage and better ride on the 29in wheels!

Bike Setup:   Swapped bars and stem immediately for Salsa Pro Moto Carbon riser with Pro Moto Ti stem inverted to neg 5 deg. In the process of upgrading to all XX components and an I-9 wheels, can't wait to feel the ride after that big investment! (Set up to be geared towards cross country racing)

Submitted by steve mcnerney a Cross Country Rider from Nevada City CA

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2010

Strengths:    Incredible ride. Great fit .Responsive and lightweight. Climbs almost as good as my road bike

Weaknesses:    SLX components are too much of a step down. Snapped a chain and broke a rear spoke

Bottom Line:
I'm 6'5", 200 lbs and ride mostly dirt roads with lots of climbing, The 29" hardtail is a perfect fit for me. The stock wheelset wasn't all that impressive, so I upgraded to Mavic Crossmax. I should have also upgraded to the XT components. Victory Velo in Auburn has provided great service

Favorite Trail:   too many to list

Purchased At:   Victory Velo, Auburn

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Sugar.

Bike Setup:   SLX, Mavic Crossmax wheels. Tubeless tires. Ergo grips

Submitted by KIt S. a Cross Country Rider from Albuquerque, NM, USA

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2010

Strengths:    Great value for carbon frame 29er. Geometry is spot on with good responsiveness and a sure-footed 29er feel. Carbon fiber material qualities.

Weaknesses:    Price? But you get what you pay for.

Bottom Line:
I am very impressed with this bike! The stock set up worked great. Switching my old components on only made it better. The geometry is fantastic and I could tell Felt put a great deal of planning and thought into the design and build of this bike. Carbon is very well suited to the 29er platform.

Favorite Trail:   White Mesa

Purchased At:   Two Wheel Drive

Similar Products Used:   Specialized SS 29er

Bike Setup:   Reba, Elixer CR Mags, CK Hubs, XTR drivetrain

Submitted by berg a Cross Country Rider from San Juan Capistrano, CA USA

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2009

Strengths:    Light, good climbing bike (well, to be expected from a hardtail), fits well and looks good. Quality craftsmanship.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any. But when I purchased the bike from its previous owner, he already upgraded the wheels, bar and I upgraded the Juicy 3s to BB7s.

Bottom Line:
I call this bike my Magic Carpet Ride! It just floats over the terrain, makes me a faster, flowier rider through singletrack, over rocks, roots and ruts. I find it suits my riding style better than any of my 26" full sus bikes. I'm 5'6" and my Felt is a 15.5" frame. Fits me perfectly and yes, you can get air on a 29'er! It gets through switchbacks without much effort.

This is a great bike for XC racing, or all day riding. I use it on the same trails as my Giant Trance, but for strictly downhilling, you'd want suspension.

Favorite Trail:   Any and all dirt

Purchased At:   used from STR Market

Similar Products Used:   None. This is my first 29'er.

Bike Setup:   XT shifters/levers, BB7s, SDG saddle, REba SL fork, Maxxis Igniters.

Submitted by rghbsn a Cross Country Rider from Leland, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2009

Strengths:    Light, great components, fit, finish

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
The bike fits well and handles well...I was skeptical of getting a 29er because back when I raced, they weren't being used. After several years out of biking, I've done a lot of research and tried several bikes in the 29er catagory. The Felt Nine Elite had the fit and finish I was looking for, great welds, attention to detail in the build and geometry as well as a great components list. It feels nimble and quick, unlike a few of the others I tried that felt long, slow, and "spread out."
I will have to admit that I got a smokin' deal on an '08 model that was left over...added some serious bang for the buck to my purchase!

The reviewer below me has his bikes mixed up, though...the Nine Elite is NOT a carbon bike.

Favorite Trail:   Any Trail

Purchased At:   Two Wheeler Dealer

Similar Products Used:   No 29ers, raced a Trek 970 SHX a LONG time ago

Bike Setup:   Stock plus some eggbeater SL's, ergon grips

Submitted by Go Nine or Get Behind a Cross Country Rider from Aliso Viejo

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2008

Strengths:    Lightweight Carbon Fiber Frame, Geometry, Fit and Finish, Ride, Ride, Ride, oh, and the WOW factor. SLX is decent.

Weaknesses:    Top of the line frame with mediocre components. 25lbs for the 18" medium off the rack (heavy for CF). SLX brakes are for beginners. Wheelset a bit weighty.

Bottom Line:
I'll start with the WOW factor. Such a nice ride when compared to the Superfly, though not as light off the shelf. Handling and steering between the two bikes is amazingly different. The Felt Elite bike with its shorter wheelbase and steeper head tube handles so much nicer and predictable, sorry I absolutely did not like the handling of the G2 Geometry Superfly (way too slack and squirrely). The Felt thus far has not even peeped a crick or creek, solid build throughout. The factory wheelset with SLX hubs, cassette, and disc brakes weighed in at just under 10 lbs for the set, and a lot on the heavy side for quickness. A change of hubs, rotors, cassette, and tubeless tire setup resulted in a dramatic reduction of 2 full pounds. Bam, a whole new even better bike. The SLX components are nice, in fact I like them better than the new XT. They are solid, shift nice, brake good, and some parts are even lighter than XT. They are however an entry level set which when pushed to a higher level of expectation, failed to satisfy my needs. This became even more evident after I put on my XTR 960 components and Magura Brakes. Another reduction in weight plus a huge increase of faith. I will ride it more and submit a follow up, but for now I continue to say WOW. I'm still giving it the highest marks, because even at 2300 bones, the ride value makes it worth it.

Favorite Trail:   Fenceline

Purchased At:   Switchback Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   08 Gary Fisher Superfly CF 29er. Santa Cruz Blur XC 26er, Cannondale Scalpel 3000 26er.

Bike Setup:   Xtr 960, Rapidrise, Magura Marta, Magura Pro 29er Custom Wheelset, Reba SL, Crank Bros Triple Ti, Kenda Block Eights.

Submitted by boodaroo a Weekend Warrior from Chiefland, Florida,US

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2008

Strengths:    Comes stock with many quality components, little need to upgrade.

Weaknesses:    I don't know why they even bother putting a plastic bash guard on the bike. You will have to rip it off after the first rock garden encounter.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is that this bike is screaming fast on the trails. I had been riding a specialized full suspension and found myself fighting to keep up on climbs. I was scared to go to a hard tail thinking that I would simply get abused by roots and rocks. Definitely not the case. The front fork locks out for the climbs and at the flip of a swith turns to a very cushy ride for decents. The huge 29" tires absorb the rest amazingly. I actually find myself leaving it completely locked out most of the time and riding it as a rigid. I treat this bike more as an all mountain than I do a cross country and it performs to standards. The only thing I may be changing in the future is a shorter stem and wider bars as the stock ones are definetly designed for XC riding.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Bike Setup:   Stock, time atec pedals. 19.5 inch frame and I am 5'11"- perfect fit

Submitted by Andrey from Irvine, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2008

Strengths:    Great frame geometry for climbing, plus hardtail which I prefer. Great componentry - mine came with the Reba RockShocks SL fork, Juicy 3's, XT rear and deore front.

Weaknesses:    Seat is narrow and harsh on the derriere. Handlebars are a little too narrow and not conducive to climbing. TruVativ crank is crap and after it broke twice I replaced it.

Bottom Line:
Really awesome bike for climbing, really solid for single tracks and downhills. If you are short though, avoid this bike - it is a really big frame. The 29" wheels go over obstacles like they are nothing, and especially for the price I paid, the componentry it comes with one of the best purchases I've made. If you are at least 6 foot and like to climb I would highly recommend this bike. If you are a pure downhiller, I would avoid this one.

Favorite Trail:   Laguna Wilderness