Felt Nine 1 29er Hardtail

4.57/5 (65 Reviews)

Steamroll rocks, carve turns, and fly up climbs faster than you ever thought possible with the incredible ride quality of the Felt Nine 1. Engineered with an all new premium-grade UHC Performance carbon fiber, the 2013 Nine 1 is pure performance. It blends the speed and stability of larger 29-inch-wheels with the quick handling of a lightweight XC hardtail. A 100mm Fox 32 Float fork, race-ready Shimano XT components—including a 2x10 crankset—and WTB Stryker TCS 29 wheels round out this dream setup.

Submitted by Chris Taylor a Racer

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2014

Strengths:    Climbing, easy cornering, nimble, grippy

Weaknesses:    Seems a little heavy for the build that comes with it.

Bottom Line:
I was able to demo this bike for 2 days because I am planning on buying one in the near future. Good bike great for climbing steep loose trails. It handles all the rocky non XC stuff just fine. Felt really nimble for being a XL 29er. I am 6'6 and the XL seemed just a tad small sometimes I would hit my knee cap on the top of the fork when really standing up and cranking. I really liked the ability to lock out you fork when climbing with the lever on your handle bar.

Duration Product Used:   2 Rides

Submitted by mbrenner1972@gmail.com

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2014

Strengths:    Out of the box, the Nine 60 is an easy bike to absorb a multitude of terrain on. With the 100mm of travel front shock, 42/32/22 chainwheel, and 60TPI WTB Nano Race tire, even the most novice of riders like me can be an off-road hero. I purchased this bike as an upgrade from my 12 year old GT. What a massive difference 12 years in technology can make. The Felt handles extremely well on all surfaces and made the transition to a 29er very easy. Being 6’5” and about 238lbs. on this bike I can still hang with lighter riders on much more expensive and lighter bikes and I am on. I have punished this bike like a teenager driving a Porsche and all the Felt asks is “huh…is that all you got?” So far so good – nothing damaged except a small paint chip on the chain stay. Even with that, Felt was kind enough to provide touch up paint so I can repair the bike after it gets flogged in the woods. For a beginner, you could not ask for much more for a bike in this price range.

Weaknesses:    Some of the component messiahs will scoff at the Felt’s lower-line elements. The Suntour XCR crankset and no-name brand bottom bracket is about as basic as you can get for a decent level of thrashing. There is an XC30 RockShox 100mm travel shock, but it’s not the uber expensive air version. The derailleur is a decent Shimano Deore Shadow 9-speed that so far has yet to miss a beat but is a bit more sloppy that others I have used. The bike is not light. I have not weighed it but just from a seat of the pants feel, it’s significant. I don’t see this as a fault, others will.

Bottom Line:
You are not buying a $1000 mountain bike because it’s the best out there. You are buying a $1000 mountain bike because you want something that is not a WalMart P.O.S. that will end up being sold at a garage sale. The Felt Nine 60 is an ideal bike for those who want to explore off-road riding and do it on a bike that has enough guts to man up when you need it to and not leave you walking home.

Submitted by Smithd248 a Racer

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2014

Strengths:    Merely a smiling visitor here to share the adore , btw outstanding style. Audacity, more audacity and always audacity. by Georges Jacques Danton. bfeakebefgeddagb

Weaknesses:    Merely a smiling visitor here to share the adore , btw outstanding style. Audacity, more audacity and always audacity. by Georges Jacques Danton. bfeakebefgeddagb

Bottom Line:

Favorite Trail:   Merely a smiling visitor here to share the adore , btw outstanding style. Audacity, more audacity and always audacity. by Georges Jacques Danton. bfeakebefgeddagb

Duration Product Used:   Merely a smiling visitor here to share the adore , btw outstanding style. Audacity, more audacity and always audacity. by Georges Jacques Danton. bfeakebefgeddagb

Similar Products Used:   Merely a smiling visitor here to share the adore , btw outstanding style. Audacity, more audacity and always audacity. by Georges Jacques Danton. bfeakebefgeddagb

Bike Setup:   Merely a smiling visitor here to share the adore , btw outstanding style. Audacity, more audacity and always audacity. by Georges Jacques Danton. bfeakebefgeddagb

Submitted by InWyo a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2014

Strengths:    Solid Foundation. With a few choice up-grades, this turns into a rocket.
The handling is intuitive and balanced. It climbs like a goat without having to contort your body or shift your weight too much, and the bike instills confidence while descending. There's just enough flex in the stays to take the edge off the rough stuff and the front end is obscenely over-sized and stiff which instills confidence in the twisty stuff. Also, Threaded BB! No squeaks whatsoever!

Get if: You are a fitness/competitive oriented mountain biker that are looking for a value package that is race-worthy from day one. (again, a few choice up-grades and you quickly are in pro-territory)

Avoid If: You are a thrill seeking type mountain biker that shuttles up the hill, and don't need the pedals all day.

Weaknesses:    As sold, the wheels are durable and serviceable, but quite heavy.
The recon fork gets the job done, but is quite heavy.

Bottom Line:
I bought this as a foundation. I swapped out the drive train for XX1, the fork for a Reba RL, and the Wheels for a set of Black Flag Pro SLs set up tubeless with conti race kings at the moment, and I went from the high 27 pound neighborhood to the mid 22 pound neighborhood (with improved performance no less). For similar set ups from different manufactures (Giant, Niner, Specialized), I have friends that spend nearly twice as much as I did, and they all like my rig more (and this rig can still loose a lot of weight over the next couple years by swapping out the bars and post for carbon bits and upgrading the breaks). This is an aggressive X-C rig. The top tube is a bit longer than it's competitors, and the bottom bracket is a bit lower. I do occasionally get some peddle stroke strikes, but the lower BB is an overall a plus. It just feels so stable. I get all the positive climbing characteristics I could want, but the descents have become much less scary (and a whole lot faster).

Favorite Trail:   Locally I like Johnny Behind the Rocks near Lander Wyoming

Purchased At:   The Bike Mill in Lan

Similar Products Used:   Giant XTC Composite
Giant Trance
Specialized Epic
Niner Air Nine

Bike Setup:   Reba Solo Air RL
Sun Ringle Black Flag Pro SL
XX1 Drive Train (I happened to win this)
Conti Race King Protections (As tubeless)

Submitted by wolverine.NC

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2013

Strengths:    Great geometry, comfortable, "shark skin finish"

Weaknesses:    little heavy, takes work to flick around turns and the fork is not optimal

Bottom Line:
Been riding this bike for about 2 years now and am very happy with the purchase. The geometry is outstanding which makes for a great climber and its a very comfortable ride especially for being a hardtail. I have rode many bikes (epic29, scott scale, niner jet 9) and although each has their strength I still believe this bike to be very capable. This bike has been on every kind of terrain from east coast, rocky single track to epic trails like the east coast slick rock trail and never once have I felt this bike was hindering my skills in any way. Any one looking for a sleek and fun hardtail with plenty of upgrade potential should certainly have a look

Submitted by stricklander

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2013

Strengths:    Great spec for a really good price. Geometry is spot on! Super small bump compliance.

Weaknesses:    The use felt's proprietary bars, stem, seatpost. Not that this is a bad thing but they don't use name brands. Not a huge deal.

Bottom Line:
I bought the 2014 felt nine 1. Comes with mostly XT components (wheels, crank, brakes, front derailleur) and has XTR rear derailleur.

Overall it is an awesome bike with great spec. Very fast and the geometry is very comfortable and compliant while still being very very fast. This is an awesome bike that they sold out of last year. I know this company is mostly known for their road bikes, but this is and INCREDIBLE mountain bike!

Submitted by Frank

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2013

Strengths:    Nimble bike. Responsive. Confidence inspiring for newer riders. Strong brakes. Decent derailleurs and shifters which aren't junk for the price point.

Weaknesses:    derailleurs not great but better than entry level. a little heavy for younger riders.

Bottom Line:
Got these for the kids so it's their first 29ers. I was a little hesitant putting them on these but they adapted practically overnight. Younger hands learning to shift daily, it was important for me to have them on decent gear that could be upgraded later. The Shimano Altus gear has been better than expected. Huge update from the Tourneys which to be were junk. Bike inspires a lot of confidence, especially in less experienced hands. A little heavy for smaller riders but not much. Suspension worked well and having put the bike out on some good ups and down mixed with rocks and roots, the bike has shown us it is a capable ride. Check this one out!

Submitted by centralcalcoast

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2013

Strengths:    handles great, picks up speed fast

Weaknesses:    chain kept skipping ,tossed it and upgraded, tires arent the best for climbing but are good stock tires and it is a bit heavy but with upgrades you might be able to shed a pound , but hey its a better work out ! lol.

Bottom Line:
overall a great bike for the money with above weaknesses mention they are easy fixes, upgrades are the norm for any bike anyway, I will be replacing the pedals with new crank bros 5050 3 platform pedals and work my way around the bike in time .

Submitted by Kris a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2013

Strengths:    Quick and entertaining handling, stiff frame, good looks, well rounded package, neat detailing.

Weaknesses:    Very minor points - XC28 fork is slightly flexy, lack of seat post quick-release.

Bottom Line:
Firstly the size and 26-vs-29: I'm tall at 6'6 and this was my first 29:er. In 21,5" (XL) it's a pretty big bike and then comes the setback post and long stem. It feels incredibly right though and I'm absolutely never going back to 26".

For me this was an upgrade from the Nine Trail and the Rock Shox XC28 fork makes a big positive difference compared to the Suntour XCM/XCT etc. It basically turns the bike into a proper mtb. The Tektro hydraulic brakes are very good too.

Cant's say much more than that this is a worthy winner of the previously mentioned group test, the bike as a whole works well and should be a good base for upgrades.

Favorite Trail:   Årekärr

Similar Products Used:   Nine Trail

Submitted by dfwraptor

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2012

Strengths:    handling is very well, comfortable, fun to ride!

Weaknesses:    it is a bit heavy, forks are not that great but they do the job

Bottom Line:
very good starter bike! i ride it 3 times a week on the roughest trails i can find and has never let me down! very satisfied with my purchase!

Submitted by Ebig a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2012

Strengths:    Weighs 22ish lbs (without pedals). It amazes me everytime I ride just how fast this thing rolls. Besides that it is super comfortable, I honestly enjoy riding much more now (I upgraded from a GT Avalanche that I beat up for 8ish years). Also the XO components are fantastic! My first 29er, this climbs like a machine.

Weaknesses:    I have had to re-learn how to ride because I am going so much faster!
I'm not sure if I had to adjust to the 29er or adjust to the fact that that this is a completely different bike, but I definately earned some good wounds from some good quality crashs.

Bottom Line:
Overall, this seems to be a great mountain bike. I went from trail riding 3 days a week, to riding almost everyday. Btw, this review is for a 2011, purchased in new in July of 2012.

Favorite Trail:   Brighton

Purchased At:   Roll Models, Allen P

Bike Setup:   Pretty much stock. I had to take approx. 25mm off the width of the handlebars.

Submitted by Vincent K.

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2012

Strengths:    - Saddle is more comfortable to me than WTB Rocket V or Body Geometry Henge Comp (stock on Stumpjumper FSR Comp).
- Great geometry for climbing.
- Drive-train is decent. Once you get used to how hard to hit the front derailleur it's better.

Weaknesses:    - Tires: Geax AKA; They roll fast, but they don't grip that well or last very long.
- Brakes get squeaky fast.

Bottom Line:
If you've budgeted $1000 for a bike, this is a pretty good way to spend it, but I'd recommend upgrading to Specialized The Captain Grid tires or something similar.

Submitted by O.S.Rider

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2012

Strengths:    Once this thing is rolling get out of the way. Rides super smooth and quiet, the vulpine tires are so fast, but im not sure a few wipeouts I had were not due to those things being slippery. The Devox bars are very sweet looking and the Mavic rims that came with mine are solid. I love this bike.

Bottom Line:
Great bike thats super light and hauls ass, pricey but look for a floor model or a deal!

Submitted by Carloswithac a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2012

Strengths:    *Great climbing prowess. I've gone up 18% grades without issues.
*Decent components for the price.
*Beautiful color on the frame. Get a lot of compliments on the trails.
*Great brakes
*Comfortable saddle
*Won BikeRadar's best 29er under $1000 shootout.

Weaknesses:    *The front derrailleur is the weak link in this setup.
*Heavy wheelset
*Entry-level XC28 fork

Bottom Line:
I've had my Nine Sport for a couple of months now and have thoroughly put it through its paces. It just rolls over obstacles like an old school Tonka truck. Climbs like no other bike I've had before (I've only ridden 26ers before this). The bike is so much fun to ride. The only thing I had trouble getting used to was the turning radius on tight single track.

My favorite thing about it is the Tektro brakes, they are simply amazing and have good modulation. The grips will definitely be upgraded because they beat up my hands after a while (no gloves). For the type of riding I do (mostly single/double track and rock gardens). it is a great bike.

I plan on upgrading to 2x10 XT over the summer, but that's mostly because I prefer a double setup and don't use my biggest ring often. I'll post a follow-up review when that happens. All in all, I feel purchasing a Felt Nine Sport for my first 29er was the correct choice for me.

The Nine Sport is a great contender in the world of entry-level 29ers.
Keep the rubber side down,
Carlos

Favorite Trail:   Daley Ranch

Purchased At:   Bicycle Warehouse

Similar Products Used:   Giant Anthem 29er.

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Dancecomp28 a Racer from Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2012

Strengths:    This is a really great all around trail/ recreational use bike! It doesn't race well because of its weight,it tends to get left behind during xc racing and it is kinda held back because you can't really carve and rip with others. As far as a recreational all rounder the bike is amazing! The Carbon Frame is really stiff, and the ride is very top notch. The spec is pretty good although at 3000 (current retail) I think this bike and the frame really deserve a better drivetrain, like an XT setup. However, having said that the drivetrain and brakes work really well and it'll take a beating and keep right on going without having to think about it. Brakes are really strong and the SLX brakes grab hard and are very consistant. This bike really excels on the down hills and flat sections that are really technical.

Weaknesses:    The spec while great is really on the heavy side. The wheels (WTB all mountains) are very heavy (2100 grams for the Wheel set!!!) SLX brakes and drivetrain work great but are very heavy. However this bike is very upgradeable and I've upgraded many parts of the bike with great results. The Handlebar, seat post, saddle again suffer from the same issues.

Bottom Line:
Overall really great bike for recreational use, just don't try to race it.

Favorite Trail:   Frick Park

Purchased At:   Top Gear

Similar Products Used:   Focus Black Forrest 29er HT - Junk, this bike was ALWAYS in the shop.

Bike Setup:   Drivetrain, Race Face 36/26 double, XT Front Derailer, XT rear cassette, XTR Shadow Plus rear Derailer, XT pedals
Brakes, still stock for the moment
Wheels, Stan's Notubes Crest and ZTR Hubs
Tires, Rocket Rons, tubeless
Seatpost, Thompson Elite
Saddle, Specialized Phenom Comp gel
Handle Bar, Race Face Carbon
Fork, RockShox Reba 120mm with remote hydraulic lockout
Ergon Grips
Chris King Headset
Salsa race lightweight bash guard.
28.51lbs stock
23.47lbs (currently)

Felt Nine 1, 2: compliance?

I've been eyeballing a Felt Nine 1 (shop demo; interstate: none around here). The geo suits me down to a T, but am wondering about the compliance for say, half-day, to full day exploration-type rides. If you have tested some other compliant bikes out there, how does this model compare?Read More »

Felt Nine 1 or Felt Nine 2 ??...

Felt Nine 1 or Nine 2 ??…

I made up my mind a few weeks ago about getting the new Felt Nine 2, however I found a very good deal for the Felt Nine 1 and now I am wondering which one should I get. It's going to be my first MTB for over 15 years (I am a road cyclist), and I am not sure if it's worth spending the extra 1.100 e ... Read More »

NFD: 2014 Nine 1

Picked up a new '14 Nine 1. Changed a few things on it. Its a large btw. XX1 Cranks, 36t ring. 1x10 setup. Chris King BB I9 Torch Wheels. Red hubs. Thompson Stem. 110mm WTB Ti Silverado Saddle 2.3/2.25 Racing Ralphs-Tubeless. Ditched the front derailleur and left shifter. Comes in at ... Read More »

GT Timberline 1.0 vs Merida Big Nine 20-D

Need help deciding between these 2 bikes. Both cost the same. The Merida has a lot more discount than the GT. The Merida will apparently have entry level shimano hydraulic disc brakes and entry level shimano shifters (not in stock). The GT has entry level 8 speed Microshift shifters ([url]http ... Read More »