EWR Bikes OWB 29er 29er Hardtail

• True Temper Supertherm & Columbus Nivacrom butted tubing
  • Reinforced Head Tube
  • Externally butted seat tube, lower overall height
  • Bi-Flovalized top tube and tapered rear stays
  • All cable guides "Hydro-style" for full-length cable housing
  • Clamp-on seat collar
  • Hand made in Pennsylvania - TIG Welded

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by smithpoint15 a Weekend Warrior from Manassas, VA

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2011

Strengths:    excellent build quality, ride quality, standover height & spot on geometry

Weaknesses:    A little heavy

Bottom Line:
    This bike is a singletrack slayer. The ride is
    amazing. The simplicity of the hard tail steel allow me to focus on the trail & not get distracted with pivots, sag & hype. I get a lot of compliments on the frame when riding. I recommend this bike to the rider who wants something unique, simple & versatile. Awesome bike!

Favorite Trail:   Allegrippis, Fountainhead

Similar Products Used:   Many

Bike Setup:   X9, Reba, Flows

Submitted by Charlie Mulligan a Cross Country Rider from Dunmore, PA

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2009

Strengths:    Very Fast. Fantastic in technicals and downhill, especially for a hard tail. Great climber too. Faster and more fun than all my other bikes (I have 8 total). Feels strangely plush for a hardtail.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
    It's really hard to explain how great this bike is. I've ridden all types of bikes for many years, but nothing comes close to this bike. My favorite (before this) was my Santa Cruz Heckler. I'm more about riding technical trails and all mountain riding and almost never race. However, this bike made me much faster instantly, AND it's still awesome in the technical. Really, no other 29er I've tried rides anything like this. No other mountain bike rides anything like this. I just rode the Stoopid 50 and was bookin by everyone in the technical and the downhill - racers much faster than me. And it climbs great. This bike probably shaved an hour off my time and I'm not kidding.
    Seriously, this bike does everything exceptionally well. Extremely fast and extremely fun. The bike builder even came up and rode with me and helped me dial it in. A few people from EWR have called several times to see how I like it. Awesome bike!

Favorite Trail:   Prompton, Merli, Moosic Mt.

Purchased At:   EWR Bikes

Similar Products Used:   I've ridden and owned many bikes, including cross country, all mountain, free ride, 29ers and a single speed. No bike is anything like this.

Bike Setup:   Reba fork w/ 110mm (custom) and thru axel. Chris King hubs, Stans wheel set, SRAM XO and 09 components. Lots of other cool stuff (my friends might have to explain the tech stuff - after years of riding I can still barely change my own tires)

Submitted by Pickle400 a Racer from Harrisburg PA

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2009

Strengths:    For being a 29er, it handles with agility of a 26". The steel frame is compliant and makes for a smooth ride. Perfect BB height. Short chainstays make for great climbing and wheelieing. Cornering ability is outstanding. Not to mention the descending ability... it is very stable under you. Optional SS or Gears set up.

Weaknesses:    Still looking for one! maybe the weight...but it is steel.

Bottom Line:
    This bike rocks!!

I have been racing for over ten years and this is the first bike that I have been on and said "I am keeping forever" ...even if my sponsorship changes and we have a different bike sponsors I will still prefer to ride this over anything else. I have nothing but smiles on my face while riding this bike. I like it so much I even use it as my Roadie now.... granted I am "spun out" most of the time.

Favorite Trail:   New favorite: Swatara Gap

Purchased At:   EWR Bikes

Similar Products Used:   29er caffeine, Trek 69er, Fuji 29er, Orbea 29er, and a couple of other brands that are slipping my mind.

Bike Setup:   SS w/ WTB hubs and Stanz Tubeless Rims, Kenda tires, and a Rock Shox REBA upfront. Also a Chris King HS, Carbon Tru Vativ Riser Bar , ODI grips, Hayes Nine Brakes, Tru Vativ SS AluminumCrank

Submitted by Kool a Cross Country Rider from Ottsville PA

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2009

Strengths:    Steel is Real. The innovative design of this frame is incredible. Its very responsive in tight fast corners, rolls over everything and climbs like billy goat!!!

Weaknesses:    Zero

Bottom Line:
    If your looking to buy a high quality 29er contact the guys at EWRbikes or one of there dealers and take this work of art for a Demo ride, Ill guarantee you will be all Smiles throughout the ride.

Favorite Trail:   My new Fav--> Allegrippis

Purchased At:   Saucon Valley Bikes

Bike Setup:   Custom painted yellow/green/blue fade medium EWR OWB29er. Rock shox Reba Team 29er Maxle. Chris King headset and hubs silver. Sram X.9 fr and Rr derailleurs, X.O shifters. No Tubes ZTR Flow 29er rims. Avid Elixer CR brakes. TruVativ team stem, stylo cranks and bar. Ergon GX1 team green grips(hey I want climbing bars too). Time Z pedals. DT spokes. Maxxis Ardent 29er tires. Salsa lip lock silver. Thomson seat post.

Submitted by ken herzog a Racer from phoenixville,pa,usa

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2009

Strengths:    STEEL! Super compliant bike takes the edge off those long rides that aluminum shoves up your spine. Excellent geometry with no front wheel/foot overlap. Strong as hell!
    Fit and those guys will really talk to you about how to set it up. This frame design is based on a proven design resurrected from the dead.

Weaknesses:    Absolutely no weaknesses!

Bottom Line:
    This bike is so hot I can't recommend it enough. The killer green color rocks but they'll paint it whatever color you want.
    Climbs like a mule and descends even better.
    I am a Trail rider with a Specialized Carbon hardtail, a KHS 4"dually, and a Turner DH1 downhill rig. I have not been on another bike since I've had it. I would recomment this to the guy or gal that wants a bike with soul.

Welcome back to the game EWR

Go get one, you'll keep it forever!!!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   white clay

Purchased At:   ewrbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Trek 69er, Specialized 29 singlespeed

Bike Setup:   2009 Reba 29er w/ Maxle, Sram X.9 shifters and derailluer,King headset, King hubs on Stan's No Tubes ZTR Arch 29 rims,Kenda karma tires, Ergon grips with bar ends, and Avid Elixir brakes

Submitted by tri2cycle a Cross Country Rider from Bethlehem, PA

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2009

Strengths:    Climbs and rolls over anything you can provide the power and skill to do.
    Corners great for a 29er.
    Sweet frame design.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
    I love this bike. Because it is not a full suspension it may not be for dh, but it is still a fun ride going down most terrain.

Buy it if you like the feel of a 29er and want something that compares to the aggressiveness of 26" wheel.

Favorite Trail:   Salisbury