Diamondback Overdrive 29er Hardtail

3.95/5 (40 Reviews)

Great for cross country,The Overdrive 29er features large 29" wheels and a 100mm Suntour fork. Frame: Overdrive 29" Butted 6061-T6 Aluminum w/ FormedTop / DownTube, machined headtube, forged drop outs w/replaceable hanger, disc only Fork: SR Suntour XCT 100mmTravel, 28.6mm stanchions Cranks: SR Suntour XCT 22/32/42t Bottom Bracket: Sealed Cartridge F. Derailleur:ShimanoTX50 dual pull,Top swing, 34.9 R. Derailleur: SRAM X-4 8spd Shifter: SRAM X-4Trigger 8spd Brake Levers:Tektro Alloy w/ reach Adj

Submitted by Ezra

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2014

Strengths:    Light frame, great price

Weaknesses:    Seat sucks, front shock is soft

Bottom Line:
Great bike, I have got back in MTB after 15 years. Great bike for the price. I bought the 2013 model, and a buddy just bought the 14 model. I have to say that the SRAM shifters and rear derailer on the 13 model is much better than the shimano componets on the 14 model. The frame on the 14 model does look better and is more sleek. The seat sucks which I replaced immediataly. The suntour shock is soft but works better than anything back in the day. Great bike for the price

Submitted by Brent a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2014

Strengths:    Solid intro into the 29er world IF you choose to purchase the Comp or Pro.

Weaknesses:    Where do I start, SR Suntour is a good brand for high end forks unfortunately, this is their mass production lowest quality component. Tektro mech brakes require constant adjustment but are solid. Seat post is heavy and the seat is uncomfortable beyond anything than a quick ride.

Bottom Line:
If purchasing this bike, I would greatly consider the higher spec setups (Comp, Pro) in comparison to the standard sport, this will provide you a better quality group and more joy out of riding without the constant fiddling with brakes and derailleurs.

Bike Setup:   Manitou Tower Expert, Crank Bros Iodine 11 handlebars, ODI lock on grips, Thomson Masterpiece seatpost. Race Face chester crank, 1x9 Xt/Saint Group, m785 XT brakes.

Submitted by Andrew

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2013

Strengths:    Im 6'8", was 425 pounds when i bought the overdrive 29er XL22" frame. I was told i was too big to ride any bike, but the point for this bike was to lose weight. 5 weeks in 390 pounds now, and probably 200 miles on the bike at least. Its held up to my weight and my riding it through mountain single track, regular dirt road, sand, street the double wall rims really help being my size i still havent bent a rim from diamondback which i was told would "taco" on me in a week easy its definitely taken a good beating from me and its really held up

Weaknesses:    i dont really have any complaints

Bottom Line:
I really love the bike for a begining bike and would recommend it for the price its a great buy

Submitted by Ricardo

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2012

Strengths:    Nice frame layout and paint,top class fox fork.
Shimano SLX components are bullet proof.

Weaknesses:    3x10 drive train instead of 2x10 ( easy fix)

Bottom Line:
(Overdrive Pro) Nice control ride, first 29er ever, No problems at all on corners, very happy with it.

Submitted by rcortez371 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2012

Strengths:    Price! Wheels & Tires!

Weaknesses:    Forks!

Bottom Line:
Overall the bike is excellent. When shopping my only requirement was disc brakes, this was the best deal on a entry level 29r that I could find at LBS's. I crossed over from Road biking and wanted something entry level, wasn't to sure if I was gonna like the whole MTB thing. I'm hooked!! The X4 components are nothing fancy, they do the job there intended for. I don't understand why they didn't complete the group with an X4 front derailleur instead of the Shimano. The 11t-32t cassette ration could be better, I don't like the 5t & 6t jump in the big gears. The cranks set works but is not up gradable, the middle and small rings are riveted together. IMO the forks are the only weak spot of the bike! Very flexible and bouncy as hell.

Favorite Trail:   Don't have one yet!

Purchased At:   Performance

Submitted by kjlued

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2012

Strengths:    price

Weaknesses:    frame and components

Bottom Line:
Had the bike all but 2 months before I crashed it in to a tree.
The crash was not hard but the frame bent.

The Suntour XCT forks that came on the bike was nothing but a glorified pogo stick not even suitable for any type of mountain riding.

All in all, the bike is good for trail and light mountain riding but not the bike you want if you plan on doing anything serious. By the time you finish upgrading the bike, you will have more in to it then a better bike would cost and still have a week frame.

Submitted by 45ronin a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2012

Strengths:    Great fork with tapered steering tube, 2013 Fox CTD is sick, frame is beefy and stiff, even with 135mm rear.

Weaknesses:    No grease in the headset when new. The Chinese factories need a bit more QC before they box these up for the boat ride to the U.S.A.

Bottom Line:
I picked up a 2013 Overdrive Pro, size large. Great bike for the money. I paid under MSRP, but even at that, wouldn't budge a bit at asking price. You get a fantastic fork and SLX/XT gruppo. Very nice. The house brand components and wheelset are surprisingly good. I would rate them at the "Ritchey Comp" level. Sure, you could lose some weight with carbon fiber upgrades, but not much. The wheels are where it's at though and I'm going Industry Nine or Stan's to round this bike out proper like. The geometry is super dialed, as DB's been in the game longer than anyone on the production side. Props to the crew at DB, and with this bike I've converted to the DB4L crew.

Favorite Trail:   Whiting Ranch, Quantico Main Side

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey P-29, Retrotec Half (29er), Indy Fab Deluxe (29er).

Bike Setup:   Bone stock but wheels are going to be upgraded soon.

Submitted by Whacked a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2012

Strengths:    Great bike without breaking the bank

Weaknesses:    Entry level 29er

Bottom Line:
The 2010 DB Overdrive is my first 29er and as a fatboy clyde, it has held up quite well. I am very pleased with my bike and recommend it for any beginner wanting to enter the 29er scene. Slap on some Serfas City Drifters (or any slick) and its a great ride around town. I even used it on a half-century road ride.
The fork is really the weakest link. A experienced rider that is more aggressive will want something better. The SRAM x4 danglies work well and shift when needed. The stock rims are pretty durable and I have not needed to true them yet even under my 290lb fat posterior running thru rock gardens and over roots. I am not an aggressive XC rider and take no shame in HAB in areas that just might be out of my skill level.
This bike has held up very well.

Favorite Trail:   too many to list

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Mongoose, Specialized

Bike Setup:   Stock with SPD, Forte saddle, ergon grips, and my old-school Onza bar ends.

Submitted by Rob a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2012

Strengths:    cheap/fork works/shifters seem to work/good color

Weaknesses:    BB is complete junk, front tire was bent, requires a lot of tools (that i have) to get it going...

Bottom Line:
I bought mine online back in March (2012). I bought the orange one (the color being the reason) with v brakes. Right off the bat the front wheel was bent pretty good... After a few rides I also noticed the crank wasn't spinning very smoothly. Ripped that off (what a pain, almost didn't get it with a crank puller) and the BB was junk...probably the cheapest BB known to man. I replaced with a Deore that I got a good deal on. Other then that, I like the bike. The fit worked, the tires seem good, the fork works. Shifters/shifting needed a lot of adjustment, but now everything works "smooth"... Personally, I would stay away from this brand (i'll never buy a DB again), but for a few 100 bones, its a good way to get a 29er... Frames alone cost more then this. Just to add, 29 is the only way to go with bikes...they are very fast, very smooth...i never ride my other bikes anymore, they seem slow...even with the crappy wheelset on this bike, it still can cover ground quickly.

Purchased At:   Amazon

Similar Products Used:   Many other hard tails, FS, roadbikes, etc...

Submitted by Tom

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2012

Strengths:    Good looking bike that seemed to ride down the trail well. Comfortable ride!

Weaknesses:    Components are to be desired. I guess what can you expect from a $500 bike...

Bottom Line:
Had numerous issues with the rear disc brake. Took it back to Dick's 5 times for adjustments. They finally replaced the bike due to a hairline crack in the weld that supports the brake assembly. I still had issues with the replacement. Had a hard time but I returned the bike for a refund.

Submitted by Diydave

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2012

Strengths:    Extremely comfortable, Bike shop set it up, fits me to a Tee. great look, got a matching yellow bottle.Love it

Weaknesses:    Front brake a bit weak, (maybe slight lube on it)

Bottom Line:
This bike is perfect for me, I have a Boardman with hydraulic brakes, nothing but problems with.
This 29er seems perfect for my needs, and is great value. well done Diamond back.

Submitted by Muttley

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2012

Strengths:    Bike fit (personal), "best bang for you buck", local purchase (no online ordering needed), Diamondback history of quality bikes, its' a 29er!

Weaknesses:    Required a lot of extra tuning of derailleurs and brakes after taking it home.

Bottom Line:
I had been looking for a new mountain bike for awhile, wanting to get back into the sport after being away for far too many years. Not wanting to break the bank, I was looking for an "all purpose" mountain bike that would be good to ride with the kids but also take me on the trail; I found that the Diamondback Overdrive 29er was the solution.

Purchased from Dick's Sporting Goods, and using a coupon, I feel as though I got a great deal for my purchase.

All though I needed to spend some time tuning the derailleurs, adjusting the brakes to keep from squealing, and adjusting the bike to fit me, I am very pleased overall with the Overdrive 29er.

Understandably some of the components are not high end, I know that when (or if) they do brake, I can always upgrade to a better part when that time comes. For now I get to go out and ride once again, and when it comes down to it that is what it is all about!

Submitted by Higgins

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2012

Strengths:    Price, Adjustable fork, 29 inch tires, smooth ride. Super light.

Weaknesses:    Hardtail, no rear suspension. Seat's uncomfortable after a while.

Bottom Line:
I just purchased this bike earlier today. I got it for a steal for 400 at a sporting goods store that had it marked wrong. It's my first MTB in quiet a few years and so far I'm very pleased with it. I took it out on a couple trails through the woods to get a feel for it. the took it out on the road. Ended up riding it 30 miles. It handled excellent on and off road. I'd wanted something with full suspension but for the money it was an impossible deal to turn down. Love this bike.

Submitted by olkeller a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2012

Strengths:    Cheap and fun

Weaknesses:    Im a noob but seat moves and I already broke one pedal,

Bottom Line:
I love the bike I alternate between it and a fs cannondale, I enjoy almost every minute on the bike, but like I said I'm a noob so what do I know. I reccomendations it to my friends that want to get into mt biking, I also let people I ride with choose the bike they want to ride, just about every time they end up on the overdrive then the fs. That must say something about how it feels.

Favorite Trail:   Jem trail

Submitted by State Park Hopper

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2012

Strengths:    Disk Breaks. Fat tires. Forks have a lot of travel and lock.

Weaknesses:    Cheap Pedals. Saddle is as good as the pedals. Presta valves, I hate presta valves (personal, I know).

Bottom Line:
For the price, the bike is great.

If you already own it and your breaks squeek, as other reviews say, it is very possible your wheels are not clamped on straight. Flip over the bike, unclamp, and eye the gaps between the disk and the pads. squeek will go away.

As far as the derailers and gears, if anyone here finds a bike under 1k that shifts smoothly into every gear all the time, let me know..

Diamondback Overdrive Information Thread

I managed to pick up a 2012 Diamondback Overdrive on CL as a trade for some old computer parts. I had been looking to try the 29er thing and after one ride I fell in love. I have changed the drivetrain to a 2x9 Deore setup and have installed an XC32TK with Solo Air. Everything else is Original parts ... Read More »

Nishiki Kinzua 29er vs Diamondback Overdrive 29er

I appologize if this is a repeat post... I am looking to get an entery level 29er and was hoping for some input on which bike I should go with, both are disc 29ers with the same brakes. The Nishiki has a lockout front fork which the DB does not. Nishiki is at DSG for $400 DB is at Performance f ... Read More »

DB Overdrive Carbon Expert

Hi guys after so much searching and what not I ended up pulling the trigger on a DB Overdrive carbon, 1st 29er so I can't compare it to anything else. [ATTACH=CONFIG]820539[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]820540[/ATTACH] The clearcoat is shiny. [ATTACH=CONFIG]820541[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]820542[/ATTA ... Read More »

Overdrive 2. Which stem?

I would like to try a shorter stem on my Anthem X 29er XL than the 110mm one that it came with. Borrowed a 90mm from my LBS but it didn't fit onto the stalk (I think that's what it's called). From a quick search it appears to be due to the Overdrive 2 being 1 1/4'' rather than 1 1/8'' :skep: Can an ... Read More »

Overdrive Carbon anyone

Not much info on them anyone have one Any complete weight of the expert. It seem frames are 2.2lbs [url=http://www.diamondback.com/bikes-mountain-29er-overdrive-carbon-expert]Diamondback Bicycles - Overdrive Carbon Expert[/url]Read More »