Diamondback Overdrive 29er Hardtail

3.92/5 (52 Reviews)

Great for cross country,The Overdrive 29er features large 29" wheels and a 100mm Suntour fork. Frame: Overdrive 29" Butted 6061-T6 Aluminum w/ FormedTop / DownTube, machined headtube, forged drop outs w/replaceable hanger, disc only Fork: SR Suntour XCT 100mmTravel, 28.6mm stanchions Cranks: SR Suntour XCT 22/32/42t Bottom Bracket: Sealed Cartridge F. Derailleur:ShimanoTX50 dual pull,Top swing, 34.9 R. Derailleur: SRAM X-4 8spd Shifter: SRAM X-4Trigger 8spd Brake Levers:Tektro Alloy w/ reach Adj

Submitted by Luke

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2014

Strengths:    Cheap intro to XC biking, good brakes (on Sport model), good tires.

Weaknesses:    Terrible saddle, XCR fork is a bit dodgy, rear derailleur needs readjustment pretty often

Bottom Line:
I've been riding this bike for about two months, and for what the price is, I'm pretty happy with it. If I didn't know better/plusher/smoother forks existed, I'd be very happy. It's the first new mountain bike I've bought, and while I probably wouldn't buy the same one again, I would say it's a good place to start and would recommend it to anyone who wants to give XC biking a try.

The bad: Fork is advertised at 100mm of travel, but I get maybe 60mm, and it's dog-slow to react to changes in terrain- I need to be basically airborne for the thing to actually get any travel. The saddle is an absolute killer. Even with a padded cover and bike shorts, it's a real bruiser and probably the biggest thing limiting the time I can spend on the bike. Rear derailleur (Shimano Acera) needs to be readjusted about every 10 km of off-road riding, which is definitely not a plus. Also, there's a mysterious clicking noise that only occurs sometimes; I can't figure out what it is.

The good: Hydraulic brakes! Wow, what fun! The tires are nice and grippy, the wheels have stayed true thus far. I do a lot of riding on the roads to get to/from trails, and it's capable on pavement as well. People who don't know much about bikes are very impressed with it, which depending on your personality may or may not be a plus. The frame fits me pretty nicely, and with the exception of that rear derailleur, all the components do their job well and don't slide, rattle, or loosen up with time. I have a blast with it, warts and all.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Submitted by Ezra

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2014

Strengths:    Light frame, great price

Weaknesses:    Seat sucks, front shock is soft

Bottom Line:
Great bike, I have got back in MTB after 15 years. Great bike for the price. I bought the 2013 model, and a buddy just bought the 14 model. I have to say that the SRAM shifters and rear derailer on the 13 model is much better than the shimano componets on the 14 model. The frame on the 14 model does look better and is more sleek. The seat sucks which I replaced immediataly. The suntour shock is soft but works better than anything back in the day. Great bike for the price

Submitted by Brent a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2014

Strengths:    Solid intro into the 29er world IF you choose to purchase the Comp or Pro.

Weaknesses:    Where do I start, SR Suntour is a good brand for high end forks unfortunately, this is their mass production lowest quality component. Tektro mech brakes require constant adjustment but are solid. Seat post is heavy and the seat is uncomfortable beyond anything than a quick ride.

Bottom Line:
If purchasing this bike, I would greatly consider the higher spec setups (Comp, Pro) in comparison to the standard sport, this will provide you a better quality group and more joy out of riding without the constant fiddling with brakes and derailleurs.

Bike Setup:   Manitou Tower Expert, Crank Bros Iodine 11 handlebars, ODI lock on grips, Thomson Masterpiece seatpost. Race Face chester crank, 1x9 Xt/Saint Group, m785 XT brakes.

Submitted by John Schroeder a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2013

Strengths:    Large size frame fits my 6 ft body very well.Heavy frame also absorbs vibration.Solid wheels have taken a proper beating without distortion.Bottom bracket not creaking even after pedaling thousands of kilometers.

Weaknesses:    Suntour fork was not very smooth due to insufficient lubrication.Easy disassembly of fork,cleaning and greasing resulted in plush performance.Gearing way too high for a entry level 29er.Installation of a 38 tooth cog behind cassete solved problem.Brakes were squeeling like a herd of pigs from hell.Installation of old set shimano brakes with cool stop pads ended the madness.WTB wolverine tires slipped on rims with low psi,replacing tires with wire beaded CST and Serfas tires fixed it.Seat was antagonistic to my anus and was cruelly donated to a charitable organization.

Bottom Line:
Overall pleased with performance of bike on trails found here in ventura county ca.with the exception of decending tight switchbacks.The long wheelbase and huge wheels can lead to missing the turn and plunging down a cactus encrusted cliff.

Favorite Trail:   Santa monica mountains backbone trail

Duration Product Used:   2 years

Purchased At:   Dicks sporting goods

Submitted by nowaysj a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2013

Strengths:    Low price, with good brakes and a better fork.

The Suntour XCR is plush, don't listen to the haters. It is not an $800 fork, or a $350 fork for that matter, but it is surprisingly plush and controllable, even for a big boy.

Weaknesses:    Drive Train - Really low level stuff, Acera front and rear derailleur. They will grind. They will get the job done, but they will complain.

Bottom Line:
This is an entry level bike, there is no doubt about it, but I don't think you're going to find a better value at this price point.

I've been looking for an entry level bike, and feel like I've looked at everything out there. I will say that there are other bikes at this price point and about $150 higher that do have a better overall component quality, and in particular drive train, but they have lower quality front suspension. In my analysis, I'd prefer a lower quality drive train, and a higher quality fork, none of the entry level bikes were set up in this manner. They were either equal across the board with like Shimano Alivio components and low end Suntour fork, or even higher end drive train, but still with a low end Suntour fork.

I'm a big guy, and not an experienced rider, so I feel that the Suntour XCR front suspension really helps me from going over the bars while rolling over the rough stuff, as I learn to manage my weight/center of gravity around the bike. This fork does eat rocks, roots, and logs like some starved mythical Greek creature, and it does it smoothly. It does not have adjustable rebound, but the rebound felt very good to me, was not springy, and absolutely no pogo stick effect. I am very happy with the Suntour XCR, and really is the reason I purchased this bike.

The derailleurs on this bike are low end, no denying that fact, they will complain if you shift under load, which I'm still learning to avoid, but when you're on a gnarly climb with increasing grades, pretty hard to shift while not under load. The rear Acera derailleur will grind noisily under load, but the upside is that if it breaks, you can upgrade to a more quality Deore level component. The shifters on this bike are awesome, easy to use, and feel quality. No troubles at all. A real step up from grip shifters.

The Shimano hydraulic brakes are very impressive so far. I was on some downhills today that were long, steep and gravely, i.e. well beyond my comfort level, and I never felt that the breaks couldn't handle it. The front 180mm rotor is powerful, and WILL manage your speed.

Bottom line, low level drive train, quality hydraulic breaks, and really plush front fork. The large size fits a big guy, doesn't complain when you bounce in the attack position, and overall feels good.

Maybe the magical economy fairy is going to come down and restore the western world to prosperity thus allowing the purchase of multithousand dollar bikes, but I don't see that happening in the coming century, so stop the analysis paralysis, pick up an Overdrive Sport and have some fun staying fit.

Life is too short to spend it being a bike nerd on the internet.

Duration Product Used:   Fairly New

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Ground Control

Submitted by The Loop a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2013

Strengths:    Good components for the money, looks like a nice bike (to people who aren't really into mountain bikes). Frame seems solid. Brakes are great, decent controls.

Weaknesses:    Budget front suspension. Like a pogo stick, but what do you expect at this price point?

Bottom Line:
I really love the looks of this bike (the components on mine are slightly different than listed because mine is the white one they only sell at Performance) My friends who don't ride think it's a very expensive bike (compared to the normal big box ones they ride) The suspension is pretty bad, but Suntour has a trade up program that makes upgrading to an air shock pretty inexpensive which I will take advantage of after this season. I wouldn't jump it as it sits right now, but its great for heading up a moderate trail at a moderate speed which lets be honest, is what most people who will buy this bike would be doing with it. I don't know a ton about high end hardtails but the components on the bike seem pretty capable for this price range, but most people in the know will look down on you just because it has the "D word" on the side. I think the bike is a great introduction to the sport and after a suspension upgrade would be more capable than I am going to ask it to do.

If I had it all to do over again I would probably just drop 200$ more on something with a better front suspension and a more reputable name (Specialized, Trek, Giant) but after I upgrade I will be in the same spot as far as cash outlay. Alot of the threads on this forum make you feel like you cant do anything but ride around in a circle in a parking lot with anything but a top tier bike but really the most important thing is to get something that gets you on the trail, and this bike has accomplished that for me so I love it. All I can suggest if you want this or a similarly priced bike is to buy it at a bike shop so you know it is put together correctly and you take take it in for free adjustments (I had to adjust the front derailleur once already)

Favorite Trail:   Carbon River, Mt. Rainier

Purchased At:   Preformance Bike, Ta

Similar Products Used:   GT's of similar price points.

Submitted by Paul

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2013

Strengths:    Component group
Great Fork

Weaknesses:    Wheel set

Bottom Line:
This review is for the 2013 overdrive Pro
I was able to get a good deal on this bike at around $1200. There was nothing else remotely close at this price point. I was a little concerned about its weight prior to ordering. After assembly it weighed in at 30.5 lbs with my eggbeater pedals. Knowing that the wheelset was pretty much crap i switched that out immediately to a sun ringle black flag comp wheelset with an XT cassette and discs running tubeless 2.2 continental xking. Huge difference. Bike weighs in at 27.5 now.

Submitted by Brian Borrego a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2013

Strengths:    This bike is great for the price. It climbs well and will pretty much roll over anything on the trail. It's quick and grips the trail on those fast turns. I took a gamble purchasing this bike because I have only heard bad things about Diamondbacks but I must say, I am very pleased with this bike. I have been riding trails for about 3 years and I am finally comfortable and confident. This bike has boosted my time and performance. You can waste your money on one of those big fancy Specialized bikes or save a grand and buy the Overdrive Comp and make a few minor upgrades.

Weaknesses:    pedals and headset
Handlebars are so wide, you will clip almost every tree on a narrow trail. I changed them after the first ride. The breaks can be a bit noisy.

Bottom Line:
Overall this bike is a beast. I would recommend it to any level rider.

Ride On.

Favorite Trail:   Double Lakes - ColdSprings, Tx

Duration Product Used:   6m

Purchased At:   Pedlers - Austin, Tx

Submitted by Andrew

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2013

Strengths:    Im 6'8", was 425 pounds when i bought the overdrive 29er XL22" frame. I was told i was too big to ride any bike, but the point for this bike was to lose weight. 5 weeks in 390 pounds now, and probably 200 miles on the bike at least. Its held up to my weight and my riding it through mountain single track, regular dirt road, sand, street the double wall rims really help being my size i still havent bent a rim from diamondback which i was told would "taco" on me in a week easy its definitely taken a good beating from me and its really held up

Weaknesses:    i dont really have any complaints

Bottom Line:
I really love the bike for a begining bike and would recommend it for the price its a great buy

Submitted by flbikejunkie a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2013

Strengths:    More bang for your buck

Weaknesses:    Terrible peddles

Bottom Line:
Very pleased with my purchase. Have had a little over a year. Fast and will roll over everything. Climbs well. Love the lifetime warranty on the frame. Can spend 3 to 500 more for equivalent components. 1st 29er.

Favorite Trail:   caloosahatchee regional park

Duration Product Used:   14 nonths

Purchased At:   Amazon

Submitted by Chuch in VA

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2013

Strengths:    Components, value, strong frame

Weaknesses:    wheelset, on the heavy side

Bottom Line:
Just picked up an Overdrive Pro after searching long and hard. I came accross a deal that made the value of this bike overcome any other advantages of some bigger brands, so I will throw that out there. I bought the bike mostly for the component set, which was far greater than that of comparably priced Trek or Spec models. This bike really does well. The geometry works and its pretty darn agile. ITs a beefy bike and frame and you can tell she's got a few lbs to lose. The wheelset appears to be the weak spot for sure, so that will be my first upgrade. I get it...one may be hesitant to purchase a Diamondback, but this is a strong player.

Submitted by Ricardo

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2012

Strengths:    Nice frame layout and paint,top class fox fork.
Shimano SLX components are bullet proof.

Weaknesses:    3x10 drive train instead of 2x10 ( easy fix)

Bottom Line:
(Overdrive Pro) Nice control ride, first 29er ever, No problems at all on corners, very happy with it.

Submitted by rcortez371 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2012

Strengths:    Price! Wheels & Tires!

Weaknesses:    Forks!

Bottom Line:
Overall the bike is excellent. When shopping my only requirement was disc brakes, this was the best deal on a entry level 29r that I could find at LBS's. I crossed over from Road biking and wanted something entry level, wasn't to sure if I was gonna like the whole MTB thing. I'm hooked!! The X4 components are nothing fancy, they do the job there intended for. I don't understand why they didn't complete the group with an X4 front derailleur instead of the Shimano. The 11t-32t cassette ration could be better, I don't like the 5t & 6t jump in the big gears. The cranks set works but is not up gradable, the middle and small rings are riveted together. IMO the forks are the only weak spot of the bike! Very flexible and bouncy as hell.

Favorite Trail:   Don't have one yet!

Purchased At:   Performance

Submitted by kjlued

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2012

Strengths:    price

Weaknesses:    frame and components

Bottom Line:
Had the bike all but 2 months before I crashed it in to a tree.
The crash was not hard but the frame bent.

The Suntour XCT forks that came on the bike was nothing but a glorified pogo stick not even suitable for any type of mountain riding.

All in all, the bike is good for trail and light mountain riding but not the bike you want if you plan on doing anything serious. By the time you finish upgrading the bike, you will have more in to it then a better bike would cost and still have a week frame.

Submitted by 45ronin a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2012

Strengths:    Great fork with tapered steering tube, 2013 Fox CTD is sick, frame is beefy and stiff, even with 135mm rear.

Weaknesses:    No grease in the headset when new. The Chinese factories need a bit more QC before they box these up for the boat ride to the U.S.A.

Bottom Line:
I picked up a 2013 Overdrive Pro, size large. Great bike for the money. I paid under MSRP, but even at that, wouldn't budge a bit at asking price. You get a fantastic fork and SLX/XT gruppo. Very nice. The house brand components and wheelset are surprisingly good. I would rate them at the "Ritchey Comp" level. Sure, you could lose some weight with carbon fiber upgrades, but not much. The wheels are where it's at though and I'm going Industry Nine or Stan's to round this bike out proper like. The geometry is super dialed, as DB's been in the game longer than anyone on the production side. Props to the crew at DB, and with this bike I've converted to the DB4L crew.

Favorite Trail:   Whiting Ranch, Quantico Main Side

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey P-29, Retrotec Half (29er), Indy Fab Deluxe (29er).

Bike Setup:   Bone stock but wheels are going to be upgraded soon.

Overdrive Sport Ghetto Tubeless

Has anyone went ghetto tubeless with the stock tires/rims? If so, how was the outcome?Read More »

Rigid Fork Swap - Diamondback Overdrive

I recently picked up a 2012 Diamondback Overdrive and would like to replace the SR Suntour XCT 29" 100mm Fork with a rigid fork. The bike is the disk brake model. Can someone point me in the direction of forks that would be compatible? Specs for the current fork are here: [URL="http://www.srsuntour ... Read More »

Cannondale Trail 7 problems, Overdrive Sport potential replacement?

So, a few weeks ago I picked up a Cannondale Trail 7 from the LBS, I haven't even hit the trail once with it, I have been on neighborhood roads and some grassy fields with it trying to get acquainted with it. After the first time I road it, I noticed the gears were slipping when under pressure or g ... Read More »

Just bought 2014 Diamondback Overdrive Sport for USD $450. Should I keep it or return

Hello, I am new to this forum. I am trying to get into mountain/xc world. I just bought my first xc bike because I thought it was great deal. I have a chance to return it. I got following bike for USD $450. Please advice if I should keep it or return it. Suggest alternative around same budget if y ... Read More »

mason ht or overdrive comp?

[COLOR=#333333]I am just getting back in the saddle again after about 10 years, but that was just bmx. I have my eye on the Diamondback mason and the overdrive comp. I am looking for some advice. I will be riding on a bike path with the wife and commuting to work a couple times a week, but I want a ... Read More »