Diamondback Overdrive 29er Hardtail

3.92/5 (53 Reviews)

Great for cross country,The Overdrive 29er features large 29" wheels and a 100mm Suntour fork. Frame: Overdrive 29" Butted 6061-T6 Aluminum w/ FormedTop / DownTube, machined headtube, forged drop outs w/replaceable hanger, disc only Fork: SR Suntour XCT 100mmTravel, 28.6mm stanchions Cranks: SR Suntour XCT 22/32/42t Bottom Bracket: Sealed Cartridge F. Derailleur:ShimanoTX50 dual pull,Top swing, 34.9 R. Derailleur: SRAM X-4 8spd Shifter: SRAM X-4Trigger 8spd Brake Levers:Tektro Alloy w/ reach Adj

Submitted by ecologito a

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2012

Strengths:    I am still trying to figure out what this bike's strengths are. So far I have not found one.

Weaknesses:    Poor packing, arrived damaged, costumer service is a hit or miss, out of the box is a bike that needs a lot of work.

Bottom Line:
I am not sure if Diamondback sent me a lemon or this is generally how their products are shipped.

When I received the bike on the mail the box seemed in good shape, as soon as I started pulling components out of the box I noticed things were not right. Everything seemed nicely packed but the front wheel had a spoke bent and the nipple snapped in half. After inspecting the rest of the bike the rear derallieur hanger was bent so the chain actually hit the wheel.

Once I talked to costumer service (Tony was really nice and helpful) DB shipped me a new front wheel and a hanger. They new parts arrived a week after the bike arrived. I started by removing the tire from the damaged wheel, once I got to the disk brake (attached to 6 screws to the wheel hub), using the tool provided by Diamondback (torx wrench) the last screw stripped.

I had to pull a "grabit" bit out of my tool chest to remove the damaged screw. After that I attached the brake disc to the new wheel, installed tire and put everything back together.

I sat on the saddle and noticed that the headset was not perpendicular to the wheel so I had to adjust it.

So far I rode it only on street and it rides ok, it is hard to be objective after a frustrating experience with Diamondback and costumer service.

If you ever buy this bike make sure that you do so at a local bike shop where it can be setup properly and eliminate frustrations that should not come with a new bike.