Diamondback Mason 29er Hardtail

Tired of the draw backs of traditionally XC oriented 29ers, Diamondback set out to build a 29er that could handle a little more. Featuring a slack and low slung geometry, the Mason hardtail is designed for those who don't mind a stiff clim...

Submitted by Jamie W a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2016

Strengths:    Mountain goat-like climbing, extremely stable descending, more fun than a barrel of monkeys.

Weaknesses:    Tight turns in dense forest are it's nemesis.

Bottom Line:
I picked this rig up about a year ago and I, sadly, have started to let my full suspension ride collect dust. This is my go-to bike for almost any trail (you'd be better off choosing a different ride if tight NE trails are your home turf). To be upfront, if it's been awhile since you've ridden a hardtail - you do have to work harder to go down fast and you're out of the saddle a lot more in general. Expect your quads to burn more and tire more easily. Having said that, this bike is a ton of fun to ride; makes me a stronger rider by getting my butt off the seat more often; forces me to do a better job reading the good lines; and is just an all around blast.

Yes, that does mean that I'm not as fast as I am on a full suspension rig, but that's missing the point. I have more fun on this. That's why I ride.

The parts DB chose are spot-on. The only thing I replaced are the tires and the seatpost. Both are extremely subjective as to what's "better" so I can't fault DB at all.

Favorite Trail:   Curly Lake Highline - Tobacco Root Mtns

Duration Product Used:   About 2 yrs

Purchased At:   Promotive.com

Submitted by Mike a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2014

Strengths:    Geometry is spot on.

Weaknesses:    Stock Tires,

Bottom Line:
I love my 26" all mountain bikes and had the opportunity to purchase the Mason pro at a great price. I was a little skeptical about taking the plunge on a 29er because the head angles on most I demoed seemed to steep. Great for cross country use but not for all mountain. After assembling the bike I removed the stock tires and installed Continental Trail Kings 2.2"s. This is the first new bike I purchased that just felt comfortable right out of the box. Meaning, no stem or bar swapping or even seat changing. The bike is a blast to ride here on the east coast because of the large volume tires cushioning the rooty trails. Climbing is fantastic even with a single ring front and the 66.5 head angle. The front end never wanders. The frame is not the prettiest one around as far as welds but thats because I also have a turner Sixpack that's like a piece of jewelry with the perfect welds. All in all I'm very happy with the purchase and feel this bike is a sleeper. The dropper post is a great asset to the bike but I heard the kronolog is not the most reliable around but the past 8 months of riding I'm not having any issues. I highly recommend this bike for anyone going from 26 to 29.

Purchased At:   Work

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Siverback G a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2013

Strengths:    Overall great build spec. Stiff frame. Very fun and flickable ride.

Weaknesses:    Surprisingly very difficult to find and very unfortunate that your every day sporting good store/2nd rate bike shop is the actual go to for this specific model. Wish my LBS carried it because I'd rather keep my business with them. Anyhow, overall the build spec is nice, stock tires are weak and the KindShock Drop Zone 125mm dropper seat post is very short in length.

Bottom Line:
Great, fun, flickable bike to ride as long as long you don't take yourself to serious. It climbs well enough for what it is and coming downhill is a kick. Like I said, I feel this bike does not get enough credit and deserves to be sold in an actual bike shop, not a sporting good store or these weekend warrior bike shops. In fact, it's a great feeling passing these carbon fiber skinsuit riding weight weenies on a hardtail Diamondback Mason. Those in touch with the MTB industry know this bike deserves some respect. BIKE Magazine said it best, "The Mason’s spec is perfect for its niche. It’s like some backwoods, mad scientist’s personal build."

Price Paid:    $1999.00

Purchased At:   performancebike.com

Bike Setup:   Stock minus easton havoc stem and havoc carbon handlebars. Switched the stock tires for High Roller 2's. Lastly, switched out the KindShock seatpost for a Command Post due to the length. Oh and removed the stock saddle for an SDG FXR.