Dawes DeadEye 29er Hardtail

• Tires: 29" WTB Nano Raptor 2.1 F&R
  • Brake Levers: Tektro 313A 2 Finger Alloy F&R

Submitted by shoeman a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2012

Strengths:    Strong. Cheap. Simple. Upgrade on the cheap and fall in love with it all over again. Versatile.

Weaknesses:    Heavy

Bottom Line:
I have ridden the crap out of the bike, both ss and fixed. It is great. Simple. Threw some bb5s on and bought some second hand wheels and the bike is smooth. Can't believe how the other parts have held up. It is a bike you can have fun with. Throw some stickers on it. Make it your own on the cheap. Just plain fun and tough!

Favorite Trail:   Patapsco -Avalaon

Duration Product Used:   Over 2 years

Purchased At:   Bikes Direct

Similar Products Used:   Q ball (which is certainly a nicer bike)

Bike Setup:   BB5s, Nano out back Nevegal up front. WTB speed disc hubbed all mtn. wheel in front with the same out back except with the single duty laser disc. Specialized ergo grips. I have run it with a tomicog which was big fun but got a hankerin' to ride it SS again

Submitted by rbrandow a Cross Country Rider from Orono, ME

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2011

Strengths:    -Inexpensive
-Very sturdy
-Cool paint job
-NanoRaptors seem like a great all-round tire

Weaknesses:    Heavy: about 30lbs

Details rough: the canti posts are ugly, chain tensioner is kinda cheesy, rotors came really out of true (not anybody's fault really)

Bottom Line:
*This review is for the BullsEye model, which replaces the V-brakes with BB5's.

This is my first "real" mountain bike, and as a gateway drug, I'm very, very pleased with it. At 5'-9" the 17" frame is a very good fit. The NanoRaptors exceeded my expectation for grip, and roll like crazy.

Common complaints about this bike seem to be the machine built no-name wheels, for being heavy and flimsy; and the disk tabs for being misaligned. I haven't had an issue with the wheels personally, they are still true for me though I'm not the most aggressive, or heaviest, rider. My disk tabs were fine, though the bolts supplied for the front caliper were a little too long and needed some washers.

Upgrade-itis is setting in, and left to my own devices I'd quickly spend the purchase price again on the bike. That's really not needed though, it's a solid platform for getting into biking, it doesn't slow me down nearly so much as I slow it down. The only meaningful upgrades I can see would be pedals and maybe a tubeless conversion.

Purchased At:   BikesDirect

Bike Setup:   Lock-on grips, CB smarty pedals - otherwise stock

Submitted by Malibu412 a Cross Country Rider from PNW

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2011

Strengths:    This is for the Bullseye (Deadeye with BB5 disc brakes) and is my most versatile bike.

SS and rigid for certain trails where a lot of climbing and fast descents are not part of the day. Just the purest and simplest riding sensation and experience. Also, much less susceptible to the winter ravages riding here in the PNW.

SS with a Rockshox Tora TK when the goin' is a little rougher.

Throw on the 1X9 wheelset for my week day commutes or for the weekend ride that requires more climbing and my FS multi-geared bike might be too much bike or down for repairs.

As said, decent components and performance out of the box. Tough to beat what this bike can take and give back for 3 and a half Benjamins. For someone wanting to try SS or 29" or rigid or all 3, beginner or seasoned rider, this is a solid option.

Some mention problems with wheels arriving true or staying true with actual off-road riding. Perhaps this is a QC issue with the wheel supplier because I have only had to true and tension the wheels once in 6 months of use, putting 150-200 miles a month combined road/trail riding on them. When off-road, I am not easy on this bike, hitting 1'-2' drops, rock gardens, off-camber roots, and weighing close to 230 all geared up. I liked the performance well (other than the weight) enough to buy for $80 another never-used wheelset from a local rider when he upgraded out of the box (he threw in the crankset as well). I keep the 9 speed cassette and Nano tires on the 2nd wheelset for commuting and this makes the SS-multi-gear swap go much faster.

Weaknesses:    Weight is the most glaring. This thing is a pig. With the minimalist SS setup, my XL weighs right around 31 lbs. With the suspension fork and gears, it's closer to 34.

The stock Nano tires are not slick surface tires and would need to be changed out immediately for anyone riding in wetter, slimy conditions.

A 23" seat tube frame with around a 26" ETT would be better for my size (6'7") as the largest 21" is a little small.

The stock BB5 brakes stopped the bike okay but are a little more work to set up and keep adjusted so I upgraded to a set of Juicy 5s that I had in the parts bin. I prefer the hydro modulation.

Bottom Line:
This is a very good value for beginners or someone wanting a second or third bike and they want to try SS rigid. I recommend buying this bike and using it as is out-of-the-box for awhile before upgrading. Even then, it's not a bike I would spend a lot on upgrades for or try to make into a light weight. Too many other good frames out there for that. The reason I made the changes and upgrades I did is I was able to get them very cheap, traded something for the parts, or had the parts on hand from other bike builds. 4 Flamins for value and performance.

Favorite Trail:   For SS, Harmony/Growlers in SW WA

Purchased At:   Bikes Direct

Similar Products Used:   1994 Trek 850 hardtail, various rented hardtails over the years, my current Stumpy FSR 29 (only because it is giant sized, heavy and has 29" wheels)

Bike Setup:   As mentioned above, 2 wheelsets: one with the single cog for SS with Specialized tires (Captain rear and Eskar front) for trails and one multi-geared with the Nanos and XT drivetrain for commuting.

Syncros 690mm flat bars, Specialized lock-on grips, Felt stem, Felt combo 15mm wrench/bottle opener, cartridge headset, Juicy 5 brakes, 15 year old Kore clipless pedals and cleats, tug nuts on each track end.

Submitted by Trower a Cross Country Rider from Presque Isle, Maine USA

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2011

Strengths:    Decent frame and fork, tough as nails Crank, Avid BB5's, WTB Nano Raptor's, good Bars and stem, Very comfy/light seat, Excellent Geometry, and its good looking! All for 349 shipped to your door! Can't beat that (even with a stick).

Weaknesses:    Its not perfect.
Wheels leave much to be desired.....
Rear wheel wont stay true, have to retrue it almost every off-road ride. Hubs and BB didn't come greased well, not a big deal, but if you get one repack them before you ride. BB5's work well for me, but they are a pain to setup correctly. The headset is junk, seriously junk, so spend an extra 30 bux and get a crane creek that will last the life of the bike. Wont spoon feed you wen you go OTB.....Told you its not perfect.

Bottom Line:
This bike is a killer deal if you short on cash and still want to respectable 29er. Not for those who don't want to/Don't know how to work on their own bikes, as it required a fair amount of tinkering to get running right. But it has no equal at its price as far as I'm concerned.

Favorite Trail:   Nordic Haritage (west trail)

Purchased At:   BikesDirect.com

Similar Products Used:   Replaced a GF Paragon that was stolen. Only had 500 to work with and don't think I could have done better for the money.

Bike Setup:   pretty much stock, just has a Crane Creek S-3, different bars, and grips.

Submitted by ilmfat a Weekend Warrior from assland, ky

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2011

Strengths:    low price, comfy eat and grips. decent headset and BB.

Weaknesses:    wheels didnt come true, never got true, never stayed true. heavy (but duh). built more like aluminum (tube shape). hubs problems out of the box.

Bottom Line:
i actually bought three of these. none of the wheels came true. they were not easy to true, and they didnt stay true. one of the hubs was way bad. i thought i had an axle problem. the freehub body spun loose.

can u fix a cassette? overhaul hubs?re-attach a freehub body? wrench your own wheels? if so, buy the deadeye.

if not, find a redline dealer.

post #1081

Favorite Trail:   fun

Purchased At:   bikes direct

Similar Products Used:   dawes deadeye, vassago jabberwocky.

Bike Setup:   jabber

Submitted by scrap15 a Weekend Warrior from folsom,ca

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2011

Strengths:    Dawes Deadeye: Price, Looks, Ease of use. Fun to ride. Brings me back to my days as a BMXer!

Weaknesses:    grips, handlebars, stem, wheels (the Bullsyeye comes with machined sidewalls, even though it has disc brakes, so I painted them black. It was fun, and it looks 10x better!)

Bottom Line:
I have been having fun with this bike! No need to be concerned with what is under the hood; it's in a league of its own. this bike would be great as a commuter as well. but handles fine moderate trails. I wouldnt want to tackle some of the stuff I used to go down on my full-suspension though! have fun with this bike. paint it even, i did. decorate it with your own logo and decals. I have a decal of a vintage skate sticker that i found on ebay (it used to be on one of my skate decks when i was a kid). This bike is about fun!

Favorite Trail:   any along Folsom Lake