Dawes BullsEye 29er 29er Hardtail

• Saddle: Dawes Super Light w/ Custom Cover
  • Seat Post: Dawes Micro Adjust Alloy 27.2

Submitted by Hollywood a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2014

Strengths:    Geometry,good ole' steel frame feel, paint, comfort, brakes

Weaknesses:    Heavy frame set and wheels, sloppy brake leavers.

Bottom Line:
All in all love the bike. For the price I couldn't be happier. I have nearly 4k miles on her and have had not one problem.
Most of the miles are commuting from Hollywood to down town to Sandra Monica.

The frame set is heavy (nearly 10 lbs from what I can gather come others post in the net) but is very durable. It has survived 3 car crashes, all minor but still very impressive in my book. The steel gives it a great feel and the geometry is great!

The stock wheels are not good! They are heavy and the bearings not so smooth also they have an ugly (IMHO) machined side wall. That being said they came true and I never came out of true even after a collision with a van at like 20 mph. I up graded to a set of Easton XC ones I got from price point for two bills and they are SOOOOO much better. I shaved 8 minutes of my 10 mile commute after installing them.

The paint looks great and is real durable. The only thing I have had happen to it is it came off on a small spot where a co worker got battery acid on it, but I can't blame the bike for that one. I got the "copper" color which is really like a metallic red/orange color and I love it. It get loads of compliments and ppl think it is a much more expensive bike.

The avid bb5s that come on the bike are a bit fidgety to get adjusted correctly but the stop the bike real quick once you do. The brake leavers from tektro are super sloppy. I upgraded to avid fr5s and they are miles better and still very cheep!

This is a great bike for some one who wants a good all around bike for commuting, week end trails and fitness and enjoys upgrading when they can find good, cheep parts (like when Jensen USA has a sale). I think this is one of the best valued bike I have ever owned. I have spent well over triple on bikes and they rant even twice as good. After 4 years and a huge number of miles I'm into this bike for maybe $6-7 hundred (including two new sets for tires, upgrades, lock, helmet, etc).

Good bike that can be made into a great bike with a few key upgrades, Defiantly a good buy.

Duration Product Used:   4 years

Purchased At:   Bikes direct

Similar Products Used:   Trek 8500

Bike Setup:   Upgraded, dual purpose commuter / hard pack trail bike

Submitted by Bike Whisperer

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2012

Strengths:    Value, solid frame and fork, good geometry, heavy duty components for big riders, fun to ride, great Clyde bike

Weaknesses:    heavy, 34/18 gearing not a great choice for anything other than small hills, heavy duty components not so good for lighter riders

Bottom Line:
The only stock items on this bike are the frame, fork, tires, and seatpost. I sold everything else as I had my own (lighter) components to install. This bike is a TANK which is both good and bad. Good that it will take just about anything you can throw at it. Good with the stock components for big heavy riders and a bike that will withstand their girth! I would recommend this bike to big riders but would suggest lighter riders look at some of Bikes Directs other single speed offerings with lighter frames as this bike exceeds 30lbs (and even with lighter parts is still 28lbs in a size 19). My biggest criticism would be the stock gearing which is simply too high for a 29er single speed, especially given the weight of this bike. It should come with a 32/20 gearing.

Submitted by brownrl a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2012

Strengths:    FUN, easy to maintain, solid, rolls very well, no non-sense. Brakes, tires, crankset, chain are all good and work well.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, very generic wheels, generic handlebar, generic stem.

Bottom Line:
I rode 6 times now in Florida Flat, and Belgian Hilly. I love it. It's a bike's bike. I am 5,11 and a bit and the 19" works great. I replaced the wheels with slightly better from Ebay. However for the rest this thing is ready to roll. It rolls very well and keeps momentum. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this bike. I will be selling other bikes because this covers everything that I do offroad.

Brakes are good, crankset is good, seat comfy, tires, grip... It's a really good bike and even better amazing bike when you consider the price. The bike is heavy but it is a TANK. You will not break this thing.

I am going 32/19 on the gearing and I put 2.4 bar in the tires. The tires combined with the steel frame smooth out some of the bumps. See the forums for my lengthier review.

Buy this bike if you want to have fun and not be bothered by maintenance and gears.
Don't buy this bike if you are a typical bike snob. There is nothing fancy on this bike. It gets the job done!

Favorite Trail:   Belgium

Purchased At:   BikesDirect.com

Similar Products Used:   Kona Unit. I test rode a Kona Unit and now this thing and there is very little to no difference in experience and feel. The Kona Unit has better engineering on the rear end axel / chain tensioning. Maybe the Unit has "blah blah blah blah" and "blah". This has a price of $399 the Unit $899.

Bike Setup:   19" 5'11" rider, 32/19 gearing, with 2.4bar in the tires. The bike is all stock except: Pedals and Wheels.