Colnago Twenty IX 29er Hardtail

The Colnago Twenty IX brings euro-style to the 29er market. Hydroformed 6000 series aluminium with huge tube sections, hybrid bearing headset system, press fit 92 bottom bracket, and Rock Shox Reba RL front fork make this 29er a great value, and delivers classic Italian style to your mountain rides.

Submitted by 29er rider a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2013

Strengths:    Nice frame, rides and handles awesome, cool looking, something different and unique.

Weaknesses:    Stock wheels and handlebars

Bottom Line:
I fell in love with this bike the moment I saw it. I've always liked riding something a little different from the normal Trek, Specialized crowd. The bike handles awesome with quick steering and snappy feel. The stock wheels are heavy and the handle bars too narrow. Mine also came with 1.90 tires on it too. I upgraded the wheels immediately when I bought it and changed the bars to something wider along with 2.1 tires. These changes made a huge difference. This bike really likes to rollout and handles very nicely. I have the black model and the looks are really nice. Get asked about it almost every ride as a lot of people don't know Colnago makes a 29er. I might be wrong but I think these bikes might be a little bit tougher to find in the states...don't think availability is that high in the US which makes me like it even more.

Favorite Trail:   Central Texas trails

Similar Products Used:   Niner,Mavic crossmax, easton, FOX

Bike Setup:   Xt, crossmax wheels, easton stem/h bar/seat post, Hutchinson tires.

Submitted by Jan a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2013

Strengths:    Very rigid frame (not too lightweight), good overall component selection, very agile handling, great uphill performance (climbs extremely well), decent trail performance. And: An amazing, outstanding look (especially in real life).

Weaknesses:    Factory tires and handlebars limit overall performance, "cheap" brakes (but with acceptable performance), wheels not too stiff (maybe 29er typical), steep head angle (around 72°) limits DH performance (shared with other "XC" 29ers).

Bottom Line:
Purchased this one through my local bike store - was looking for a decent hardtail in the 1200EUR/1500 USD price range. Thought this one would be far out of my price range, but it was "used" by the shop´s owner for about 6 months (definitely looked like new). So I got it quite cheap.
My first 29er, and once I rode it for the first time on it, I loved it. I am rather a tall guy (187cm) and ride the 18" frame, which is perfect for me - don´t sit "above" the bike like on any 26" bike, but more "in" the bike.
The handling is much bmore agile than expected, probably due to the steep head angle and the short chainstays. Still stable enough on fast (not too steep) downhills.
Reba´s suspension performance is very well, but the bike is limited by its narrow factory flatbars (approx. 650mm wide only). Exchanged them for a Syntace Vector riser bar/stem set (780mm wide). Also added a Fizik Gobi seat (great one) and of course wider tires (Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.35", which fit nicely). Not only the look was improved by that - the bike now handles much better on all kinds of terrain.

I often get asked what kind of bike this is - everybody gets attracted by its super-cool look. The pictures on the web don´t even come close to the real-life look of this Italian beauty (which was made in Taiwan ;-)).

Colnago twenty IX

has anyone actually ridden one? thoughts? ....and as i've been a SSer for too long a time, what the heck is shimano SLX? i remember the days of only LX, XT and XTR making up the best. i must be turning into a luddite. [url=http://www.colnago.com/twenty-ix/]Twenty IX | Colnago[/url]Read More »