Chumba Racing HX2 29er Hardtail

4.86/5 (7 Reviews)

It's official - CHUMBA has joined the 29er movement. Built as a tough trail bike similar to the HX1, the HX2 is designed around a five-inch fork and also offers a sleek eccentric bottom bracket for set up as a single speed or with gears. It also comes with a replaceable derailleur hanger. The HX2's rigidity makes sure all of your power hits the ground - and its elegant styling gives credence to CHUMBA's heritage of the highest quality craftsmanship.
  • Fork: RockShox Reba 29er Dual Air
  • Stem: FSA Gravity Light
  • Seat Post: FSA Gravity Light
  • Cassette: Shimano XT 11-34
  • Chain: SRAM PC951

Submitted by juice0276 a Racer from Asheville, NC

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2010

Strengths:    Amazing geometry, great stiffness, looks good.

Weaknesses:    Seat tube water bottle cage is a tad low

Bottom Line:
This bike is a superb 29er, and the guys at Chumba are just as fantastic.

Favorite Trail:   The one I am on

Purchased At:   From Chumba

Similar Products Used:   Orbea Alma 29, Fisher Rig, Flyte Celsius 9

Bike Setup:   XC race set up

Submitted by big_scot_nanny a Weekend Warrior from Basel, Switzerland

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2010

Strengths:    Great geometry, flickable for a 29er, amazing stiffness, great to charge and blast about on this frame. Acres of mud clearance.

Weaknesses:    Did I say stiff? Oof! completely, totally and utterly stiff, which over a long ride can get pretty tiring. But then, it makes no bones about that.

Bottom Line:
I am fat and tall, bike fits perfectly, i love blasting around on this, just a superb ride and fit for me (large frame, I am 6'4", with shortish legs). Superb fun, and regardless of conditions it just keeps going. As mentioned above, do not use this a long distance machine if you value your spinal health. STIFF!

Favorite Trail:   Gempen loop

Purchased At:   forum

Bike Setup:   Halo freedom wheels, Reba 120mm 20mm forks, X) stuff, hope tech M4 brakes

Submitted by bricke a Weekend Warrior from Italy

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2010

Strengths:    Great Geometry, tyre clearance, design, stiffness, EBB.

Bottom Line:
This bike is fantastic! You can set it up for XC races or for hard purposes and it handles always well! Great stiffness, big tyre clearance (I'm using now two Kodiak 2,5) and I've even more clearance!
It's a very funny bike, not very light, but funny!
If you are looking for a versatile frame, you have found it!

Purchased At:   Used frame with cust

Similar Products Used:   Custom Steel Frame, Niner.

Bike Setup:   HX2 Frame, Sun Charger wheelset, Marzocchi 44 TST2, 1x9 X7

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from State College, PA

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2009

Strengths:    Quality construction, handling, ride properties, eccentric bottom bracket

Weaknesses:    ???

Bottom Line:
This bike does so many things really, really well. It climbs like a billy goat, soaks up chatter/vibration better than my old full suspension bike, is built like a tank without without being too heavy and handles beautifully at all speeds but especially when its really moving.

Favorite Trail:   Rothrock State Forest (all of it)

Purchased At:   Freeze Thaw Cycles

Bike Setup:   Rockshox Reba 120 mm with 20mm through axle. Bontrager Rhythm Comp Disc 29" TLR wheelset with tubeless Continental Mountain Kings. Avid Elixir 5 Rear/Front Disc. Shimano SLX components. Salsa seatpost, stem and bars.

Submitted by mikeyf a Cross Country Rider from orlando fl

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2009

Strengths:    perfect stiffness, great handling, screams for more speed

Weaknesses:    paint color match for touch ups

Bottom Line:
this could be the most fun bike i've even ridden! just wants to go fast on all types of trails. this is a most demo bike!!

Favorite Trail:   santos

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   niner, GF

Bike Setup:   scram x9, fox 120, ztr 355, 2.1ignitors, juicy 5

Submitted by William a Downhiller from South Bay

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2009

Strengths:    Rigidity of frame, comfort, hydroformed tubing, eccentric bb

Weaknesses:    Doesnt have ss speed drop out

Bottom Line:
I ride this thing like a slave owner and its incredible how it handles. Its wicked fast, climbs sweet, and will drop into almost anything. Also, I'm 6' 4" and 225lbs. It holds its own and setting it up as a ss makes it great for training and fun as hell on flowy single track. I freaking love this thing and its a killer addition to any quiver. After getting on this for the first time, having ridden full suspension for years, I had an epiphany....less is more.

Favorite Trail:   Lots

TN 719 rims
Avid Juicy 5s

Submitted by Tbow a Weekend Warrior from France

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2009

Strengths:    This bike is my first 29er. He's got a very handling with my carbon rigid fork. I'll build a suspension fork later.
I like the stiffness of this frame too. It's fantastic to push this bike all the time.
In third time, it's important to speak about the confort of the HX2 (aluminium frame). Before this bike I ride with a Voodoo Bizango (steel frame) and Spinergy wheelset. So, the confort is equal between these bikes. Cool

Weaknesses:    For the moment only one weakness.
When I'm climbing, it's a little bit difficult to pass on the rocky steps.

Bottom Line:
I rode this HX2 about 40 hours now and I'm a big fan of this bike.
So if you like stifness, handling, confort and style, go to buy it.
With a 4" suspension fork, it will be a wonderful mountain bike too. Simply.

Favorite Trail:   In general a trails like a singletracks with rocks to up and down !

Purchased At:   Draille Bike (french

Similar Products Used:   Nothing

Bike Setup:   Exotic 29er carbon fork, wheelset with Chumba hubs, ZTR 355 rim and DT spokes, Specialized The Captain S'works tires, Formula R1 brakes, Syntace F99 stem, titanium bar, NC17 Imperator Pro headset, Kore seatpost and saddle, Shimano XTR rear derailleur, Shimano 105 front derailleur, Shimano XT Shifters, sprocket and chain, Aerozine BB and cranckset with two Specialite TA rings.

Chumba HX2 owners, unite?

:thumbsup: New to the forum, so first; HI! Just bought a second hand Chumba HX2. I have heard two things about the frame: 1. the wires are a bit off, and should be put differently than stock? 2. wheel clearence is not good? What kind of wheels have you fitted? Any thoughts on these two?Read More »

Opinion New SS: C'dale trail SS vs Gen1 Chumba HX2?

Hi All, First let me say for all those who wish the bag Chumba as a company, this is a thread about a product comparison not about the company's customer service. I'm going to upgrade my SS Bike. Currently i have a Haro Ally, nice enough but not really a frame that I feel has a lot of upgrade ... Read More »

Chumba HX2

Thought I'd put a few pics up of my new bike, it's a Chumba HX2 29'er. Built it up to replace my Cove Handjob & Genesis iO Single Speed, as I thought getting one HT to cover both geared & single speeding duties would be a nice idea and fancied trying a 29er too. [img]http://farm7.static.flickr ... Read More »

New Chumba HX2

Is It just me or does this machine look the real deal? I thinking I have found me my new SS frame (while waiting to go 1x9) What does everyone think?:thumbsup:Read More »

2011 Chumba HX2 build..... sorry for the dirt in the pics...LOL

Here is my new 2011 Chumba HX2 hardtail that I finished the other day but was too excited to try it out before getting some clean pictures of it.... Only thing I am waiting on are a set of red headset spacers... [IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79/bmxdad3/101_1909.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i3. ... Read More »