Canyon Grand Canyon AL 9.9 29er Hardtail

• Hubs: Mavic Crossride Disc
  • Cassette: Shimano SLX 11-36 10-speed

Submitted by Justin a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2014

Strengths:    The bike is light, high quality parts for the price. Shimano XT brakes, cassette ( I have a 2014 year model), cranks and shifters. Feels very comfortable. Can handle as they say 60cm high jumps. One of the biggest strengths that I see is they front and rear true axels.

Weaknesses:    Tires. Continental Mountain King II is quite a poor choice IMO, but you can always change them if you want. I will keep them just at the rear, so I don't eat gravel too much

Bottom Line:
I have purchased Grand Canyon AL SLX 9.9 in March 2014. As much as I can remember I had to wait it for 5 weeks and I have to say those weeks were quite long.

The reason I have chosen Canyon bike is because of their good engineering and passion for the bike. I have been looking for their bikes for quite some time. They have been one of the first companies out there offering you both - front and rear thru axels, which make wheels stay in the frame and for so much more stable and has less problems then other options (I had Focus blackforest before and it was designed so badly that I had to sell it after 3months of riding). Moreover, Canyon offered a very good price for the parts it had. Full Shimano XT kit, great fork and wheels. You just can not get he same quality from other manufacturers. (I visited Scoot and Specialized shops before and the price of same class bikes were 1/3higher then Canyon).

Tlaking about the service I had experienced with Canyon bikes I have to say it was not bad as I have read some reviews about their bad customer service before. They were responsive all the time. The bike fork broke down after 300-400km, so I had sent it back using UPS and they refunded me for the shipping. Everytime I have a question or any problems I have no problems contacting them.

In the conclusion I would like to say that the bike I have, feels like it was really made with passion and love (as they say it on the box). Looks like they have thought through many things while designing it. I cannot imagine a better purchase then this bike. The quality of the parts and the feel of the bike is just amazing. I have been riding bikes for 11 years now, and I can say that this bike is the most comfy I had ever had. I cannot imagine anyone making a mistake getting this bike.

Purchased At:   Canyon.com

Bike Setup:   Shimano XT brakes, cassette, cranks, shifters
DT Spline wheels
Fox FIT terralogic fork

Grand Canyon AL 7.9

[url=http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=3013]Canyon | Mountainbikes | Grand Canyon AL 29 7.9[/url] I think this will be my next bike, I've never ridden a 29er, but am pretty sold on the idea for a hardtail, and for what I will be using the bike for while I am living in Germany. 1 ... Read More »