Cannondale Flash Carbon 29er 1 29er Hardtail

• Pedals: Crank Brothers Egg Beaters
  • Chain: KMC X9 SL 9-speed

Submitted by John

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2013

Strengths:    Light, fast, efficient and very stable on downhills

Weaknesses:    2013 retail pricing is an outrage. Front shock has a lot of stiction. Dealer had to swap the internal cartridge after a few weeks.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike. It climbs and handles rough terrain extremely well. The 29er wheels really to help in rocky and rough trails. However it is a racing bike so you feel every bump in the trail which requires a "hardtail" riding style for any longer ride. Having said that, the bike is so fast, you may be changing your definition of what a long ride is. I ride the Colorado Front Range, and this is a great choice for the rocky trails in the area. If you can somehow manage to pay something less than retail, this is a great bike for both racing and XC riding.

Submitted by sprocketjockey9

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2012

Strengths:    2012 version: Climbs great, Lefty fork is amazing. Descends really well and is quite nimble for a 26. Stock wheel set is pretty solid

Weaknesses:    Not a big fan of the SAVE seat post, paint seems to chip way to easy. Standard Lefty Stem/Bar creak is there....If you're lefty feels like crud, you really need to bleed the lockout. Mine came this way and I know 5 other bikes that did. Cannondale should really make a better effort to inform shops to do this

Bottom Line:
Fully upgraded to XX parts spec (except crank) and also have a set of Stan's Race Gold 29er. Really enjoying this bike so far. In fact, been riding it non stop for the month that I've had the bike. Climbs like a rocket and don't feel like the bike is holding me back while descending. Really really dig the lefty shock, just tracks so well through the rough stuff. I can descend on this bike as smooth and fast as I could on my Superfly100 and don't have the weight penalty going uphill.

Submitted by Bird a Cross Country Rider from VA

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2012

Strengths:    This is for the 2012 Flash.
Weight...parts spec....looks....ride are all spot on.

Weaknesses:    Cable routing for front derailleur.

Bottom Line:
This is the most efficient bike I've ridden.Climbs effortlessly,descends with confidents and surprisingly handles like my 26" XC bikes.The save technology really does save.lol
Not sure why but it really was not that much of an acclimation getting use to 29" wheels.This bike does everything better then my Cannondale Rush but with additional speed.

Favorite Trail:   Douthat

Similar Products Used:   Have had several high-end XC bikes in the past.This is my first 29er.

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles, CA

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2011

Strengths:    Impeccably detailed frame. Gives a very confident and solid ride. Great component set on the Flash 1 store build (thank you Helen's).

Weaknesses:    Points out only too clearly that I am the weak link in the bicycle-rider relationship. Throw away grips

Bottom Line:
A stunning piece of equipment! As most are, I was skeptical about the capabilities of the Lefty suspension, especially as a heavier rider (240 lbs) but forget that……this system is for real! It’s only when you look down that you are reminded that there is only one stick going down to the wheel. The XLR model on my Flash 1 keeps the big 29 hoop on the front in line on the downhills and, with the lockout on the handlebar, is stiff as a board on the uphills. The component set on this store bought build is a mix of XO, X9, XT, and Cannondale SL Hollowgram. Whether it’s the bike tying everything together or just the quality of the individual parts, they all have been working seamlessly. The stock bars are way too wide so cut them down a bit to suit your taste. If you are predisposed to carbon hardtails and don’t mind the extra bumps coming down then this is the absolute way to go. Cannondale knows what they are doing with carbon fibre, something that is best not left to manufacturers who just dabble in this material.

Favorite Trail:   Sullivan Canyon

Purchased At:   Helen's Santa Monica

Similar Products Used:   Tried Niner Air Carbon, Santa Cruz HighBall carbon....both very nice but the Flash is just rock solid.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale SL Hollowgram crankset with Truvativ rings, XT cluster, XO rear der., X9 front der., XO shifters, Lefty XLR Carbon with remote lockout, DT Swiss hubs, Avid carbon brakes, Stan's notubes, Cannondale carbon seatpost, FIZIK Tundra saddle

Submitted by mnyquist a Cross Country Rider from Northville, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2011

Strengths:    Light, Fast, Lefty Fork

Bottom Line:
Fast and light. Lefty handles great. After a year on this bike I am still excited about it. I use it on a mix of singletrack and gravel roads. Set up Tubeless with Stans Crest/Tune hubs. Switched drivetrain to full XX and brakes to Formula R1 (I have used XX and Formula R1s on my FS 29er.) Recently sold my FS as it wasn't getting any use. I am riding Southeast and Southwest Michigan Trails (no big climbs, just short/steep). If you are looking for a fast XC bike, this is it. I have not ridden this in any endurance events, but I think it would be comfortable enough for a long day in the saddle. Stiff BB and enough compliance to make the ride comfortable. I highly recommend this bike. Tree Fort Bikes service has been second to none, as well.

Favorite Trail:   Poto

Purchased At:   Tree Fort Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Ellsworth Evolve

Bike Setup:   Sram XX, 39/26, Formula R1 Brakes, Egg Beater 2ti with Ti spindles, Stans Crest with Tune Cannonball/Kong, etc.

Submitted by goatbike a Racer from Indy

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2011

Strengths:    Light, Rolls fast, and Turns heads.

Weaknesses:    Non yet

Bottom Line:
I made a gamble moving from a full suspension 26er to a 29er hard tail but it is paying off. The tail bounces around a little more but not much due to the 29" wheels that roll over the trail very nicely. The pay off is Im faster and I don't feel as tapped out after hard rides. The SAVE systems helps a lot in smoothing out the course. By the way, I like the white foam grips.

Favorite Trail:   Walnut, Brown County