Cannondale Flash 29er 3 29er Hardtail

• Tires: Kenda Small Block Eight, 29 x 2.1" Wire
  • Handlebars: Cannondale C3, 680mm, 20mm, 31.8mm

Submitted by mattscarymonster a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2013

Strengths:    Climbs great. Fast. Vs my old Kona I feel like I can push myself in this bike harder and improve my skill. I rode it once only since I got it a week ago and ended up at Skytop quarry, which has some pretty difficult stuff. Lots of fun. Went from the slow guy in the group to somewhere above average. LIke I feel like my gas tank and skill is the only thing that is limiting my performance, and the bike can handle more. So that's encouraging. I like it. Plus it looks cool. Back end seems to absord vibration and small bumps well.

Weaknesses:    Usual factory stuff: tortoresome saddle, cheap grips. Still dialing in the fork but it performs nicely. Well see how the Bob tires work. I ride fairly hard but I take care of my rig so we'll see about durability.

Bottom Line:
It's a 2012 set up with a recon fork. Other than swapping over my saddle it's still stock. x7/x9.
I got a pretty good deal on it since it was LY's stock, so maybe 4.5/5 chilis for value.

Hoping to get out this weekend too, but ride 1 was so positive I can't imagine my review going backwards.

Favorite Trail:   Skytop Quarry

Duration Product Used:   1 week or so

Purchased At:   EPIC OUTDOOR ADVENTU

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Trail SL, Kona Cinder Cone, Giant XTC

Bike Setup:   Recon, x7/x9, avid brakes

Submitted by JOSE RAUL LOPEZ

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2012

Strengths:    On climbing tracks it is just great. The 29er wheels have great traction so that you do need to worry so much about your path because the bike, like a tank, will go over everything.
For the same reason (the 29er wheels), going on lose ground works as good on this bike. No loss of traction. All you need to do is keep pedaling.
Because of the long span of the handle bars, the handling is great. It will go over any obstacle
It is light and fast also on downhill, because of its reduced weight
Finally, since it is a lefty, it is so easy to change a tire in the front wheel on the spot.

Weaknesses:    I borrowed this bike from a friend, so it is a bit larger than my size. When I hop on the bike, I need to be on leveled terrain to get started.

Bottom Line:
I never thought I would like a hardtail this much after using a full suspension for eight years. The word that comes to me is stability and speed in every type of terrain

Submitted by Craig a Weekend Warrior from Houston

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2011

Strengths:    Light, light, light.

Weaknesses:    Stock (house brand) wheels, aluminum seat post, aluminum bars

Bottom Line:
Just bought this bike because I was tired of my lower end full suspension Haro. It weighed as much as a mini cooper. I had a Cannondale 15 years ago, that my Son now rides to school, and it never had any problems. So I went back to the brand. Good decision. It is so light that it is dangerous to me. And that is a good thing. The geometry is great, you sit lower to the ground, than you would expect, but still have plenty of clearance. The lefty fork is outstanding compared to my recent use of the Tora. Other riders with me who rode Specialized, GT, S-Works, Moots, were all very impressed by the weight factor. This bike is perfect for the relatively flat trails we have here in Houston. I will change the seat post, and bars to carbon soon. The frame is carbon so they really should have added some other carbon components to this bike, but I guess they had to keep costs down.

Favorite Trail:   Double Lake

Purchased At:   The Sto

Similar Products Used:   First 29er

Bike Setup:   All stock, avid elixir, sram s7 rear deralleur

Submitted by Morals a Cross Country Rider from Round Rock, TX, US

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2011

Strengths:    Relatively Light (except for the stock wheels), Nice finish and graphics, Great Fork

Weaknesses:    Stock Wheels

Bottom Line:
I bought this for a beater bike, but the wheels made me want to scream. I put some Stans ZTR ARCH 29ers on it tubeless and I have been much happier since.

Otherwise, I love this bike. It handles like a DREAM and is almost like riding a rigid fork in the turns and dips. My Orbea Alma 29er with Reba fork feels like a wet noodle up front compared to this thing. It's aluminum, which concerned me in a hardtail, but it seems pretty compliant for the trails around here. I might consider a carbon seatpost, but that would be it.

My $1800 price reflects the wheel upgrade. I paid $1500 on ebay for the Flash 3 Lefty bone stock. It was ok stock, but after riding C29ssmax wheels, I couldn't deal with the ones that came on this rig. By adding the Stan's wheels, I went from feeling like I was riding in syrup to flying along the trail.

Favorite Trail:   Cameron Park - Waco, TX

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Bike Setup:   All stock except Stans ZTR Arch 29er wheels (tubeless setup)

Submitted by Dude a Weekend Warrior from Northern VIrginia

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2010

Strengths:    Size, geometry

Weaknesses:    Brakes, saddle, maybe the fork

Bottom Line:
Only got to ride this a few times before surgery sidelined me for a few months, but I have been very happy with the purchase. The frame is light but sturdy, which is important since I ride an XL. Very happy that I went with the 29er hardtail, not problem at all climbing or descending. Only weaknesses after a few rides is the brakes (rear squeals under heavy braking), and the saddle (not a big deal). Need to work on setting up the fork better, can't wait to heal and ride again.

Favorite Trail:   Wakefield/Acotink

Similar Products Used:   Tested GT and Giant 29ers.

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by jeff2slash a Weekend Warrior from Morley Mi, U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2010

Strengths:    It's a CANNONDALE, Light weight, nimble, strong frame, the Lefty. Very quick, climbs great.

Weaknesses:    none so far.

Bottom Line:
I'm very happy with my F3 29, would recomend one to anyone! Very quick, nimble, comfortable bike! Great brakes, very smooth shifting, Lefty works Vert Very well! Can't wait to ride all the trails in Mi.

Favorite Trail:   Newbie

Purchased At:   L.B.S.

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale F7, Cannondale Carbon Synapse 6.

Bike Setup:   Stock for now.

Submitted by jeff2slash a Weekend Warrior from Morley Mi, U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2010

Weaknesses:    none so far.

Favorite Trail:   Newbie

Purchased At:   L.B.S.

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale F7, Cannondale Carbon Synapse 6.

Bike Setup:   Stock for now.

Submitted by kfrosty a Weekend Warrior from charlotte, NC

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2010

Strengths:    My first 29'er and have to say it performed better than expected. It's extremely fast on flat and downhill and climbs better than I was expecting.

Weaknesses:    Would expect a little better components in this price range but other than that, I'm happy so far.

Bottom Line:
Great bike but again there are better packages out there for the money. Specialized SJ Comp 29 to name one and even the GF Paragon.

However, I do like the Lefty and Cannondales so I'm happy with the purchase.

Favorite Trail:   Catawba

Purchased At:   Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Other bike is a Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe. Just not found of the full suspension bikes for climbing.

Bike Setup:   Stock

Flash Carbon 29er 3 vs Alloy 1

I have a price for an Alloy 1 of about $1800. I just went to a LBS to look for one to ride since this one is out of town and they didn't have one. They did tell me that for $2000 they could sell me a Carbon 3. Is this a no brainer to go to the Carbon frame? He said that the components are a little ... Read More »

2012 Cannondale 26er flash alloy 3 vs 2012 Cannondale 29er flash alloy 3?

I am relatively new to biking and I need a new bike since my Cannondale 2009 F7 got stolen from my garage. I am 6ft. 175 pounds. I live in Pennsylvania and mainly go biking on quad trails in the Appellations where it is very rocky at times. I like the idea of a 29 inch tire, but I have no experience ... Read More »

Flash 29er 3 - Need more info

I have found a good bit of info about the Flash 1 and 2, but not much about the Flash 29er 3. It is Void of the lefty ... instead sporting a Reba. But wondering, what does the Flash 3 Weight ... or at least probably weight (based on what you might know of the 1 or 2). Other that ... how is the ... Read More »

Is $2100 a good deal on a 2011 Cannondale flash 3 29er carbon?

Is $2100 a good deal on a 2011 Cannondale flash 3 29er carbon? Given the build kit is really a pile of crap? I don't have a xc bike now just a road bike.Read More »

Max disc size CD Flash Carbon 29er 3

Yep, the title says it all. I have two 180 mm Formula R1 discs at the same weight of the Avid G3 discs, and I want to use the Formula discs on the Cannondale (paired with the complete R1 set of course). Is it OK to put a 180 mm disc on the rear wheel of this bike, and will it fit? Can´t seem to fi ... Read More »