Canfield Brothers Yelli Screamy 29er Hardtail

4.89/5 (18 Reviews)

Ever had one of the those bikes that you just have to yell and scream with joy when you rode it? Say hello to the Yelli Screamy. With the shortest chainstays and the slackest headangle of any production frame 29er on the market, the Yelli Screamy makes for one heck of a time on two wheels as it’s the first 29er that handles like a nimble little 26" frame.

Frame:

• 7005 Aluminum
  • 135×10 QR dropouts
  • Direct mount front derailleur mount
  • 16.7 chainstays
  • Rear Disc Mount – IS disc mount
  • Headtube – Tapered – 44mm upper/49.6mm (1.5?) lower

Submitted by juanfran a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2014

Strengths:    Bike that does it all, short chainstays, slack head angle

Weaknesses:    In very steep climbs the front wheel tends to leave the ground

Bottom Line:
I' ve been ridding this bike for a year. I am very happy with the performance, it's a bike that does it all. It climbs well, it goes downhill excelent! The setup is slx/xt 3x10, no problem fitting them into the bike. Slx breaks 180 front and 160 rear, and Fox ctd 100mm suspension. I recently put on a rever dropper post. The bike is great, it corners very well, it' nimble and fast, technical downhill no problem. Tecnhical uphill very good, it's very easy to lift the front wheel (some times this causes problems in very steep uphill). Bike park and all mountain no problem... very impressive frame!

This bike encourages aggresive ridding, stand up pedalling. I would recomend this bike for someone who rides agressively and specially technical trails. For light xc, maybe you can get something more "confortable". Awesome bike, no problems at all...

Duration Product Used:   one year

Bike Setup:   XT/SLX 3X10, FOX FLOAT CTD 100MM, ROCKSHOX REVERB, WTB RIMS,

Submitted by Ethdir

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2014

Strengths:    >Geometry: short chainstays make this bike a blast to ride.
>Customer Service: small company = great service. The frame came chased and faced with zip ties and an extra derailleur hanger which are always a added bonus.
>Beautiful Colors

Weaknesses:    >Clearance between frame and chainrings: can cause some trouble for people but is doable. The good customer service will help if you get into a bind.

Bottom Line:
Love riding this bike both up and down hills. I have it set up with a 1x10 and have no problems. The geometry is a blast to ride once you get the hang of it. It took me some getting use to the the shorter chainstays as I came from a bike with long stays. But after that I have loved it. Only major thing to look out for is mounting the crank.

Submitted by cjsb a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2014

Strengths:    Geometry, Frame burly and quality, Confidence inspiring--a stoke machine! When you are riding more on the front end this bike feels more natural. It wants you to hit everything. Frame is extremely burly stout. It is soo much fun to ride.

Weaknesses:    For a frame only it is affordable, but since it is not offered as a compkete build I didn't give it 5 stars on value. It's more expensive building up from the ground, but the lower cost frame helps keep it from getting crazy. The middle chain ring clearance is tight, 34t is iffy, 36t is probably a no-go without modifications, etc...Just ride a standard triple or a 1x10, or32t in the middle. Water bottle bossose on the down tub are too close to the top tube, so you can't fit a large water bottle. The slot in the top of the seat tube faces the rear which encourages crud to enter and post slippage. There's a ton of exposed seatpost, consider a dropper.

Bottom Line:
I have ridden mine since October 2012, and the Ride Quality of my review is nothing short of superlative, it wants to get up and down and have fun, it rips corners, they totally nailed the geo and frame burliness! I have a list of weaknesses above but that's what you want to see the most for reviews and mine are all minor--just telling it like it is--and none of those weakneses would make me reconsider this bike, they are just nits. If you prefer a single chain ring that's bigger than 32t then the weaknesses could eleveate more for you, there are many forum posts showing how to do it but it's more work and clearly not everything wil work.

Regarding cost, if you prefer building it up with components of your choice then my comments don't apply, except that the lower cost of this frame really helps you out budget wise in that case.

Favorite Trail:   Elbon-Indian Creek-BLT

Purchased At:   CBros web site

Similar Products Used:   None, bought it based on how I want to ride and studying the geo, and reviews.

Bike Setup:   F29 100, SLX front B, Juicy 3 rear, Bontrager crap front wheel, DT Swiss King hub rear, Renthal Grips, 29-30 inch wide low riser bar, Thomson 70mm stem no rise, Slx 3x, set up as 1x10, shadow plus rear. 2.4 ardent front, 2.2 Slant six rear. You can tell that I did the transfer and not the custom component selection...

Submitted by Jonesy22

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2013

Strengths:    Fun and reliable

Bottom Line:
Went from a Trek Fuel EX 9 to a Yelli Screamy and was in love with it on my first ride. I am running a 1x10 and XT setup. Took me a while to get a dropper for it and when I did I am wondered why I didn't sooner lol

Amazing frame and so much fun to ride.

Submitted by John a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2013

Strengths:    Simplicity. Stability. The geometry that everybody else is copying. Small company customer service.

Weaknesses:    Paint chips kind of easily...but that may be due to how and where I ride. Just slap on some helicopter tape under the down tube and on the outside of the seat stays and keep it from happening in the first place.

Bottom Line:
The Yelli Screamy is an affordable, fun, capable bike with geometry made to tackle technical singletrack, log rides, boulders, etc. It replaced a steeply angled titanium hardtail that was just too twitchy for the riding I was finding that I preferred. I assumed climbing would suffer, but that has not turned out to be the case. Wider bars may be helping, but the Yelli climbs very well, which probably has a lot to do with its big wheel, low bottom bracket stability. In technical climbs, you can stand up and mash on the pedals through the rough stuff and it just keeps going as long as you have the energy.

To give you an idea what kind of riding I prefer, my other bike is a Mojo HD. The Mojo still comes out when I hit the really rocky stuff where any hardtail would feel like you're getting pounded a couple of inches shorter, but it turns out that lots of rides around here are well suited to a 29er hardtail with slacker angles and short chainstays.

This frame costs a quarter what the Mojo HD cost, and they're both great bikes. Highly recommended.

Favorite Trail:   Guacamole - Hurricane, Utah

Duration Product Used:   One year

Purchased At:   CalCoast Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   The Yelli pre-dates all the other slack 29er hardtails...

Bike Setup:   SRAM X9 2x10 drivetrain, Hope brakes, stem and hubs, KS Lev seatpost, Stan's Arch rims, Rockshox Reba, Raceface Atlas crankset

Submitted by fastfish666 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2013

Strengths:    vry versatile, great handling 29er hartail _- If I could only have one bike this would be it -- Occasionally my more XC racy Salsa comes out or my singlespeed if its very muddy, but this bike will pretty much do anything -- a scream to ride!

Weaknesses:    on the mk1 frames, the down-tube bottle mount is too far up (IMHO) so its a tight fit with just a small bottle (no way, without a specially adapted bottle cage to get a big bottle in there. Seat-tube bottle mounts prevent dropping the post all the way -- I dont find it a real issue as even in the bike park I find I can get my 410mm seatpost as low as I want it no probs. And if you have a hydration pack, the down-tube bottle mounts arnt really a problem. Think the Mk2 frames might have rectified these issues. A front mech might limit rear tyre to about 2.2inch but run 1x9 or 1x10 or 1x11

Bottom Line:
great bike, bit expensive,

Duration Product Used:   over 1 year

Purchased At:   Canfield

Similar Products Used:   On-One Inbred, Salas Mamasita, Spec Camber and Epic carbon

Bike Setup:   1x9 32 12-36, 120mm Reba RLT Ti with 20mm thru-axle

Submitted by daniel harvey a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2012

Strengths:    nimble for a niner, solid, quick to accelerate and climb, confidence building on descents. Nice cable routing. I like anodized frames.

Weaknesses:    I run a Talas to help with keeping the nose tracking well on long grinds.

Bottom Line:
Loved my Rip9 but sold it within weeks of owning my Yelli. I miss the Rip 10% of the time, but if I were still riding it I'd miss the Yelli 90% of the time. I am amazed at how much I love an aluminum hardtail. That being said, I am going to build a Santa Cruz Blur Xcc 650 this winter. I'm trying to emulate the chain stay length and ht angle of the Yelli, yet still get a bit more diameter than a 26er and full suss. But I cannot imagine a world where I'm willing to ever part with my Yelli. Best bike ever for me.

Favorite Trail:   Falls Creek

Duration Product Used:   1 season

Similar Products Used:   Motobecane Ti 29er

Bike Setup:   2x9 slx.xt, Talas f29 120, Pana Rampages, G-dropper

Submitted by Kristatos a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2012

Strengths:    Geometry - playful and confidence inspiring - saved me more than once in a bad landing and rides like a 26er more than a bike with big wheels, best hardtail and most "fun" bike of any wheel size that I've ever ridden.

Details: Tire clearance is substantial. Lovely head tube badge, nice construction, attractive blue ano finish.

Unique Value: Starts more conversations on the trail than say a Giant Trance....very reasonable price for what you get.

Weaknesses:    Canfield is a smaller company which is both a strength (great to support small business) and a potential liability (stock-outs, harder to get a hold of).

Bottom Line:
Before buying a Yelli Screamy I hadn't had a hardtail in 6 years, so I wasn't sure what to expect. Previous hardtails and FS 29ers I've owned and ridden had a bit different geometry. I am not a "one bike" guy, and built up the Canfield more as an experiment, although given that I'd sold my only other mountain bike and was planning a busy fall of MTB trips to UT and Tahoe, as well as local riding in SoCal I knew I'd be leaning heavily on it, which had me nervous. What drew me to the Canfield were the somewhat relaxed head tube angle, short chain stays (for a 29er), and price - I figured I couldn't go wrong. Talked to my LBS and they got me a size L frame and built it up 1x10 with a solid spec.

The first shakedown ride I hit some local trails including some small dirt jumps - nothing big as I'm not a hucker by any means, but I found the bike incredible at taking to the air! Lofting the front wheel is almost reflexive and I am able to manual and wheelie the Yelli all day long - compared to previous 29ers and even some 26ers I've owned this was a massive advantage - Yelli Screamy was dialed for agressive riding and I couldn't wait to get it up into the mountains and on some real rocks. A few more local trail rides gave me a little pause as I struggled up some steep and loose climbs that I'd previously had no issues climbing on my RIP9 (FS 29er) - I have very wide (Race Face Atlas cut down 1/2") bars and a short stem, so I wasn't sure if this was just me getting used to the new setup and being on a hardtail again, or if I was already finding some of the bike's limits. However, I returned from each ride with perma-grin all over my face.

Next up was some alpine riding which would throw everything at me - long leg-busting climbs, fast single track with bermed out corners, log crossings, boulder rollers and lots of rock, ruts and opportunities to test myself and the bike. I'd also find out if the 1x10 setup was going to work long term, and if Yelli would hang with the 5 and 6" FS bikes the rest of the gang was running. Climbing ended up being much better - I think my earlier struggles with some steep loose stuff was probably just getting used to the bike - I found that standing up there was very little rear wheel spin compared to what I'd expect on some of the decomposed granite loose dirt. Had no problems getting to the top and pushing the 34/36 gear up the "walls" leaving the FS bikes behind. All of a sudden I was thinking this bike had potential as an enduro racer.

On rock rollers the combo of the 29er hoops and geometry of the Yelli really shined - on a 'new to me' trail I took every boulder roller and log crossing with confidence, not even stopping to see what the exit route down the other side looked like - it really was inspiring being able to cross more advanced trail features and fully enjoy them. Perma-grin ensued. Had no problem keeping up with the 26ers through the tight twisty ST and switchbacks, and in the choppy rutted stuff the Yelli held it's line and rode great. It is a hardtail, and I did take a few saddle hits to the crotch in the rock gardens, reminding me the importance of using the whole body where a full suspension bike lets you get away with quite a bit.

Overall super stoked on this bike. Would I race Super-D or Enduro on it? Probably not - a hardtail does beat you up a little and I will build up another 5" bike for those. For trail riding, hitting the local dirt jumps and long days in the alpine country - Yelli Screamy is my go-to. For my trip to UT this fall it's a tough call - if I don't get a 5" bike built up before then I am confident the Yelli can handle the terrain and that I'll be ok, if just a little sore, after 6 hour days in the saddle. Oh and did I mention the perma-grin?

Duration Product Used:   A dozen rides

Similar Products Used:   Other 29ers: Niner RIP9

Bike Setup:   2012 Yelli Screamy, Marzocchi 44 Ti 120mm fork, XT brakes, Arch rims/XT hubs, Ardent front Ikon rear tires, Canfield Crampon Ultimate or Time ATAC pedals depending on day/terrrain, Race Face crank w/34T ring, MRP (BB mount) chain guide, XT 11-36T cassette

Submitted by cookerq a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2012

Strengths:    Perfect geometry, low bottom bracket, Rails corners, eats tech sections, stays planted on climbs and sprints, nimble, stiff rear anodized finish, build quality, 3 water bottle mounts, TONS! of stand over, Looks, bar clearance, good cable routing....

Weaknesses:    Chaining clearance can be a pain. Rear dropouts require me unscrew the skewer. Could be lighter/stiffer with some more shaping or butting in the tubes.

Bottom Line:
This is going to be the standard geometry for 29ers, give or take some angles. Hands down I would take this frame over ANY 29er frame out there. The short chain stays let you hammer out of the saddle without breaking the rear end loose and give plenty of traction when climbing. They also make the front end pop up easily. I had a standard geo xc 29er and it handled like crap. I can honestly say I am much faster on this bike without working as hard. It's just flat out fun to ride. Build quality is top notch. The welds and finish are as good as any aluminum USA made frame except the old Cannondales. The only reason I am giving it 4 for an overall rating is this bike could be even better with some refining.

Similar Products Used:   Ellsworth Truth, Carbon 456, Stumpjumper 29er, and Salsa Bandito

Bike Setup:   120mm Reba, C29SSmax, Racing Ralphs, 1x9

Submitted by Sin-man a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2012

Strengths:    Fun, flickable, easy to ride over trail obstacles. Excellent stand over height. All mountain geo makes it fun to ride. My previous bike was a Cannondale Rush, a nice bike, but this is much easier on the more technical trail, and I don't miss the rear suspension 98% of the time. I mostly ride XC trails and some techy stuff, around here Lynn Woods is THE place for AM/Free riding, but I rarely go there.
The color!! I picked the gloss orange, the anodized colors will last longer, but I love the orange!

Weaknesses:    The chain ring/chain stay clearance is really tight, it's the price you pay for the geometry, tire clearance, and the all important short chain stays. Buy a chain guide right away, I did not and wish I had.

Bottom Line:
If you are willing to build a bike from the frame up, and you don't want/need the typical XC racer geometry, this is the bike! I've been riding for 2 decades and I had never built a bike from the frame up, the dollars add up fast! This geometry is becoming more common, but the Canfield Brothers are leaders with this bike and the Nimble 9.
I am finding that I have more confidence on the more intimidating trail sections, and I'm more able to clear sections that were tricky on my previous bike.
I may buy a full suspension bike someday, but for the riding I do most of the time, a hardtail 29'r is what I need.

Favorite Trail:   Beverly Commons Willowdale

Purchased At:   Canfield Brothers

Similar Products Used:   None, previous bike was a Cannondale Rush 800, I test rode a Specialized carbon HT 29'r, and a few of Niner's HT models, but for typical demo rides.

Bike Setup:   Dingle speed: Shimano XT front der. and shifter, SRAM X9 39/26 crank/BB
Origin 8 Spacebar2
Ritchey seat post
Truvativ Holzfeller 35 mm stem shortest stem I've ever had

Submitted by bikekayakhike a Cross Country Rider from Kalama, WA

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2012

Strengths:    Corners like a dream, great tire clearance...descends like a 5 inch travel bike. Great standover height. I have two rides on the Yelli and I can't wait to ride it again. This is my new winter bike and will probably become my first jump/indoor park bike. This bike just makes me smile.

Weaknesses:    Maybe clearance for larger chainrings, but, then the tire clearance would not be as good.

Bottom Line:
Buy one.

Favorite Trail:   Yes

Purchased At:   Canfield

Similar Products Used:   Sir9, One Ghost Ronin, but they are not very similar. Really in a class by itself

Bike Setup:   Sram XO 2x10, Hope hubs with carbon 30mm rims. Reba 140 RLT Ti.

Submitted by jdusto a Cross Country Rider from Sammamish, WA

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2012

Strengths:    Nimble, responsive, and a strong frame design giving you confidence to push it hard as a true all-mountain ride.

Weaknesses:    Tight clearance issues with FD and rear tire. The mountings for the bottle holder on the seat tube interferes with the seatpost when you attempt to really lower the seat. Slack geometry makes climbing a bit of a challenge.

Bottom Line:
This bike rips like no other 29er I have tried. With the slacker geometry and low BB height (even with a 140mm fork), this bike craves around corners and attacks rock and gnarl. This is definitely a bike for those seeking a true all-mountain experience in riding up the hill and then flying back down.

Favorite Trail:   Duthie Hill

Purchased At:   Online from Canfield

Similar Products Used:   Jamis Durango 29, Santa Cruz Tallboy

Bike Setup:   Rockshox Reba 140mm fork + Shimano XT 3x10 drive train

Submitted by jeffw-13 a Weekend Warrior from Beaver Falls, PA

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2012

Strengths:    Great handling, stiff, tough, easy to manual, climbs great, huge tire clearance. Awesome do-it-all bike. My go to bike for everything but racing.

Weaknesses:    ISCG tabs would be nice, Ive heard people complain about front derailleur rubbing the tire. I run 1x9, no issues. The area between the chainstay & bottom bracket collects mud & ice in winter

Bottom Line:
Great do-it-all bike. 9 times out of 10 it's the bike I reach for whether riding buff single track or rocky technical rides. The bike handles great on the tight twisty trails common to Western PA (Brady's Run, Bavington) and also rides well in the rocky stuff a little further north (Moraine, West Branch). Somehow the front end is easy to manual over obstacles but I never have any issues keeping the front end planted on steep climbs. Down hill it just rips. Feather the brakes & let 'er rip. I absolutely love this bike. It dares me to go the hard way

Throw some big volume tires on it to soften up the ride. Its a burly stiff frame. Rides very comfortable with the 2.4 Purgatory's I have on it

Favorite Trail:   West Branch Ohio