Bianchi Rita 29er Hardtail

• Rims: WTB SpeedDisc All Mountain
  • Tires: 29 x 2.30" WTB ExiWolf

Submitted by Ben a Cross Country Rider from Oak Ridge, TN

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2008

Strengths:    Lightweight, well built, good looking, great group, good value

Weaknesses:    Tall front end, flexy wheels

Bottom Line:
This is an update from my previous post, have now been riding the Rita for a over a month, have gotten a better feel for how the bike performs, changed the stem from a 100mm to a 75mm, this really helped the steering be more active (quick), also got the fork settled down. I really, really like the Rita, it is a sweet bike, great parts, and it's beautiful to look at :)

I guess the SOK 29er is taking the Rita's place, looks to have the same groupo, maybe a change in geometry, but not much different. I think this bike is underated, maybe people are put off by aluminum or maybe it's because Bianchi is lesser known. Personally, this bike and the GF Rig are the best factory complete SS 29ers out there. The only way you can do better is to build one yourself.

The horizontal stays work great, though I switched to Redline tugs cuz the Bianchis were not as tight of a fit. Now using Salsa skewers, no slippage, hammering all day on steel stuff, I'm a big guy and it's tight!

The wheels are a little flexy side to side, but this seems to be a good thing as the frame is stiff. I ride a lot with the Reba locked and tire pressure 25-30psi, and even then the ride is pretty plush. I unlock the Reba for downhills, jumping, and sometimes for uphill technical climbs. Adding a Poplock is essential, I just switch the Reba on and off too much.

Purchased At:   River Sports

Similar Products Used:   Redline Monocog 29er

Bike Setup:   75mm Truvativ Stem, Panaracer Rampage, Ergo Grips, SPD's, Poplock, Salsa Skewers, Surley 21 cog,

Submitted by Ben a Cross Country Rider from Oak Ridge, TN

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2008

Strengths:    Overall Groupo, Lightweight, Reba, Price

Weaknesses:    Tall frontend, long chainstays, fits big so buy down a size.

Bottom Line:
I wanted to step up from the basic RL Monocog, but I didn't want to spend for a custom. The problem I foudn with most complete 29er Single Speeds is that the groupo is either off brand or low quality. The Rita and GF Rig were the only completes that had the parts I wanted for less than $1500.

I have a few long rides on the Rita now, took some time to get the Reba air pressures right; it's quite a change coming from a rigid bike. Overall I would rate the Rita very high. Though it rides differently than a rigid, it is quite precise with the Reba locked out, and the flick factor is actually better than the Monocog when things got twisty.

If you want a complete, factory bike, horizontal drops, and good outfitting, this is the best choice out there!

Purchased At:   Local Shop

Similar Products Used:   Redline Monocog 29, Fetish Fork, BB7's

Bike Setup:   Stock group, ergo grips, Panaracer Rampage.

Submitted by Dave s. a Cross Country Rider from mn

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2008

Strengths:    Light, not too stiff being aluminum. Geometry is spot on for me. I'm 6' 1' 180# on the 20in. frame. I did flip the stem, and put on a flat bar to speed things up. Also to allow me to fit between all the trees in MN.

Weaknesses:    None, a bit tall up front stock.

Bottom Line:
Have a ton of miles on the bike now, does what it needs to. No complaints.

Similar Products Used:   First ss, 29er.

Bike Setup:   Richey pro flat bar, flipped stem. Crossmark tires. Candy pedals. King headset. Oury grips.

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Omaha, ne

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2007

Strengths:    No Ebb!!! compliant ride, handling, looks fun, fun, fun

Weaknesses:    well lets see, hmm cant think of any

Bottom Line:
This bike is a blast. It handles well, and somehow it smoothes out the bumps compared to my 26 inch hard tail. One of the main reasons for choosing the bianch was because of no ebb. I have heard too many horror stories concerning them. The sliding dropouts are the way to go, No creaks or slippage to worry about, and pulling the rear tire off is relitivly easy.

Purchased At:   bike masters

Similar Products Used:   demoed a felt single speed

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by steve garcia a Racer from miami

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2007

Strengths:    The ride is very smooth and it rools over evrything in site.it climbs like a rocket!

Weaknesses:    bottle cages are to close together,paint is very thin so be carful, and brakes are ok. think of upgrading.

Bottom Line:
with a few upgrades this could be a bad boy. make training fun,and enjoyable.if you want fun near race ready bike to kick but than this is for you.dont think i will ride my 26 ever agian.

Favorite Trail:   uta mohab

Purchased At:   sun cycling center

Similar Products Used:   kona 29 and treke 69 er.

Bike Setup:   completly stock.

Geo Gurus: best rigid fork for Bianchi Rita?

I have a 2007 Bianchi Rita that I bought new. it's one of the best riding bikes I've ever been on & I doubt I'll ever get rid of it. I feel like its geo is spot on for me & my riding style. however, the Reba fork that's on it is starting to bug me. I just keep rebuilding it and I feel like I use the ... Read More »

Stolen Bianchi Rita, Sacramento— SS rigid 29er, red, lots of stickers, setback post

Stolen while locked up inside my house in Oak Park. Please keep an eye out. Looks like this but rigid Salsa fork, setback Thompson post, lots of big stickers all over the downtube. [img]http://www.bianchiusa.com/uploads/pics/07_rita.jpg[/img] Build: 19.5 frame black Salsa steel fork b ... Read More »

For Sale - Bianchi Rita 29er SS 2007 RARE opportunity

LINK TO AD: [url=http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=72730]Bianchi Rita 29er SS 2007 RARE opportunity - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories[/url] Exceptionally rare 2007 Bianchi Rita in Ritz Red. Selling for a friend, who is the original owner. Almost all par ... Read More »

G2 Fox on Bianchi Rita/Sok

Has anyone put this combo together? My Reba is into season 6, and getting tired. I have a G2 fox to swap. I will run at 100mm. If I recall the Rita 19.5 has a 71.5 HA. As they say it will ride like a bike, but will it be too twitchy a bike? Thoughts? Experience? Thanks.Read More »

19.5" Rita > 18" Inbred..??

Hey everyone. I've got a question here that I think the crowd might help me with. I've got a chance to buy a 19.5" Bianchi Rita in really good condition. Under $700. The frame is too big for me though. I've got my eye on the On One Inbred 18". My thought/question is, what do you think about strippin ... Read More »