Banshee Bikes Paradox V2 Frame 29er Hardtail

4.6/5 (5 Reviews)

Banshee's Paradox was already packed with killer features for the 29'er crowd, it's now better than ever with a new tapered head tube, increased tire clearance, and direct mount front derailleur.

Submitted by 61belair

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2014

Strengths:    I just finished a new build and I love it. It climbs well and has a stiff frame, which is necessary for this Clyde (6'2" 225 lbs). My first ride on the new build and I was thoroughly impressed. This is my first hardtail, I'm coming from a F/S bike, so it will take some getting use to, but so far I'm really pleased with the frame build and quality

Weaknesses:    It would be nice to be able to run a 2.4" tire out back, but its not a necessity for me.

Bottom Line:
Overall I would suggest this frame to anyone in the market for a hardtail.

Submitted by Earthpig a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2014

Strengths:    Short wheelbase chainstays, low BB, slack head angle. Great climber and playful on the downhills.

Weaknesses:    Somewhat cramped reach. Lack of a 142x12 through axle.

Bottom Line:
I bought this frame on a whim (and on sale) last fall. After some frustration and time dialing in the fit, I think it's really what I'd hoped it would be - just plain ol' fun to ride. The combination of a slack head angle (I'm running a 140mm Reba), short wheelbase/chainstays, and low BB combines to create a ride that's really fun and playful when pointed downhill - quick (but not nervous) handling but also stable. It climbs like a hardtail, which is to say fine. My only slight gripe would be the very compact/short reach compared to other frames of its size (mine is the 19.5"). However, that short reach (combined with a dropper post) really allows you to keep your weight low and back on the downhill. It would also be nice if it came with a 142x12 rear axle option, but it doesn't. Bottom line, if you want a fun AM HT 29'er at a great price, you can't go wrong with the Paradox.

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   The only other AM HT frame I've owned was a Santa Cruz Chameleon, but that's a 26'er. This is a totally different beast. As for AM 29'ers, I've owned a RIP 9, Bandit 29 and Covert 29.

Bike Setup:   140mm Reba (essentially a 140mm Revelation with a Reba sticker on it), KS Lev 125mm dropper, 2x9 SRAM X.9 drivetrain with a Shimano SLX bash/36/24 crankset, XT brakes (180/160), Chinese carbon rims 30mm, Velocity hubs, 80mm stem, 780mm Niner alloy bar, Ritchey V2 Pro Streem saddle.

Submitted by Mr. 68 Hundred a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2013

Strengths:    It really does ride the way it's purported to be. Climbs, corners and descends well. Very playful, nimble and stable. Handles techy climbs well too. No complaints from the handling department by me.

Weaknesses:    I'm ~6' 1/2" in my biking shoes (I wear 32" inseam Levi's). I bought a large; and while the top tube is just a tad short for me (70 mm stem), the standover height is a bit too tall. Also, running a Shimano front derailleur is a toss of the dice. Plan on a SRAM. I cut a piece off an 2013 XTR FD to try to make tire clearance for a 2.35" Nobby Nic but it was no-go. I'm rolling on 1 X 10 now, which works because I'm a major bad-a**.

Bottom Line:
Overall, I'm very happy with the frame. It does pretty much what I was hoping it would do. I say pretty much because I don't have a dropper post yet and I think when I get it, the bike will really come alive. This is a bike that loves to be leaned over in the corners (i.e. Fluidride like a pro) and without the dropper post and the short TT, it's difficult to get the bike leaned over (the saddle gets in the way) while maintaining a proper front/rear weight distribution.

The bike rails corners and climbs like a f******* mountain goat. Great option for someone looking for an all around 29" hardtail.

Build specs (the ones that matter at least):
Pacenti DL31 rims
Schwalbe 2.35" TR Nobby Nic front; 2.35" TR Hans Damph rear; set up split-tube ghetto tubeless (there is frame clearance for more; I'm going to get the new 2.5" Maxxis Minions next; there would probably not be front derailleur clearance though)
32T front ring
11T to 36T cassette

I ride all-mountain at 6000+ feet with big climbs (AZ, NM, UT, CO). If you like big tires like me, you're probably going to be stuck with 1 X 9/10. And, if you have to deal with big climbs like me; I'd recommend going to a system that'll let you get a smaller front ring than 32T. The 32T works because I spend a lot more time standing but at the end of the day on a tough climb, a 28T or 30T would be nice.

4 Chile's because of the TT/standover/front derailleur issues.

Steve

Submitted by Helmetless a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2012

Strengths:    -All the revisions expected from the previous Paradox and most hardtail frames out there
-Very playful on corners, really fast and nimble (using M size) thanks to wise little inputs in geometry, lacking in other frames
-Really cool paintjob and graphics
-You will likely sell your FS bike
-Different in all that matters, to me is positive

Weaknesses:    Banshee just gave us just two options as for "colours"

Bottom Line:
This is simply THE do-it-all bike I was looking for. I really loved my Viento, but it lacked a couple things I needed to feel myself more confident while going down.

This bike allows me to climb much faster than in an average 26er with same setup. I can handle a rocky trail uphill, I can even go off the trail if needed, and once getting to the top, I can also handle the way down much easier. Again, this Banshee rolls faster, and gives an incredible confidence at same time. Rider skills can be crucial to make this bike a fun to ride and tell the difference with other AM hardtails or average 29er bikes. I mean, as you do your homework with skills, keeping in mind that these must be executed a bit more exagerated given the bigger wheels, then all is about fun on the Paradox. Ride and smile thing, seriously.

Favorite Trail:   El Condor

Purchased At:   mbstore.cl

Similar Products Used:   Couple XC 29ers not worth mentioning, many elite 26ers

Bike Setup:   Reba tapered 120/20 maxle, X.0/XT 10spd, X.0 brakes, Flow/dt revo/hope wheels, Easton/Thomson bar combo, Silverado Ti saddle, Conti tires

Submitted by Lowfreq13 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2012

Strengths:    Super Strong frame. A 29'er that handles with more finesse and maneuverability than my previous 29'er frame. Looks pretty freakin' nice!!! Comes supplied with Seatpost and Seatpost QR (that isn't stated too clearly on retail websites). Great CS throughout the research process.

Weaknesses:    I'm not really too sure. It looks like Banshee addressed the issues of the V1 (Rear Tire clearance...). I've had to adjust to the lower BB. I smacked my Frogs a few times where I didn't expect too. Just something to watch for, but def worth it.

Bottom Line:
This a Clyde-worthy frame (I am 6'2" 245lbs). I have about 150 miles on this frame and it Definitely delivers in the AM arena Every ounce of energy that I put into the pedal makes it to the rear wheel. It just begs to be pushed. Uphills are a pleasure... It tracks through the roots and rocks so nicely. I'm not much of a screaming fast DH guy, but I know that this frame feels extremely secure while descending.

I really look forward to riding this bike. Very proud.

Favorite Trail:   Places in and around Baltimore, MD.

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Diamondback Overdrive XC 29'er, Trek 950, Giant Sedona.

Bike Setup:   X9 Drivetrain and Gearing, Shimano XT Brakes, Fox Talas 32 CTD 120, Flows with Hope Pro2 Evos, a mix of Thomson, Chris King and other worthy components.

PAID Spam: 2012 BANSHEE Paradox V2 Trail/AM Frame

Check it out! [url=http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=83036]2012 BANSHEE Paradox V2 AM 29er Frame - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories[/url] pretty solid deal Thanks for Looking! PFRead More »

new frame to buy..Canfield Nimble9 or Paradox V2 ?

Hello all.. I have a nice steel 29 front frame, but its geometry is trail /xc,..and I would like to try a frame that has shorter stays and capable for a 120 fork .I tried my frame with a 120 fork but I feel that the BB is too high. Also I would like to try this new "short stays" thing..MIne are 443 ... Read More »