BAMF Bikes Kimura 29er Hardtail

4.25/5 (4 Reviews)
MSRP : $1999.95

The BAMF Kimura is a double butted BAMF Bad Ass 6061 aluminum 29er ready to hit it and get it! From the RockShox Reba RL fork to the SRAM 3x10 components BAMF has this bike dialed. BAMF spent over a year getting the geometry just right. The big wheels have gained popularity and for a good reason. Riders are accepting the fact that big wheels roll over rough terrain better…and faster! Rolling on a 29er makes you wonder why they weren’t popular sooner. They flat out haul on the trail.

Submitted by BAMF mistake a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2012

Strengths:    Good component for the price.

Weaknesses:    Terrible frame and terrible customer service.

Bottom Line:
Do not buy this bike unless you are buying it for the parts and plan on replacing the frame. To make a long story short, the rear triangle on the frame was bent. I tried to call Giantnerd to get it warrantied. They promised to call bank the next day with an answer and they didn't. I followed up with another phone call the next week and they basically said I was out of luck. They were willing to let me send the entire bike back on my dime and they would assess the problem. If it wasn't a warranty issue then I would have to pay again to get the bike back. I bought a new frame and used the parts. They get 2 chilis because, even with the cost of a new frame the value was okay. Read the forums before you buy.

Submitted by cebuano a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2012

Strengths:    Best bang for the buck! At a price of slightly under $1100, you get 2012 X9 ball bearing shifters with matching derailleurs and 2012 elixir 3 brake system.

Weaknesses:    3 x 10 and crankset could be better.

Bottom Line:
When i got my Kimura, i was surprised it is a slightly better equiped and better looking black/white scheme for 2012. Gold hubs are now black Sram's, gold seatpost clamp is now black, the rear X9 derailleur is now white with matching white avis elixir 3 brake levers (giantnerd photo's still show grey juicy's), the front and rear elixir 3 disc callipers are now also white. The X9 shifters uses the newer ball bearing, same technology on the 2012 X0 and XX. I just wished that it is a 2 x 10 but i knew it wasn't before hand. The X5 crankset is probably the weakest part compared with what the bike comes with. Total weight is slightly over 26 lbs but could be lighter with a better crankset. Also it would have been great if the Rockshox Reba was also white to complete the black/white scheme.

Favorite Trail:   Dry Creek Trail

Submitted by wright2hike a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2012

Strengths:    Components, handling, speed, climbing, looking like one bad MoFo!

Weaknesses:    Handle bars too narrow, grips are crap.

Bottom Line:
This bike is awesome. I have been riding around through some trails in Germany. This bike took it all; the turns, bumps, brush, mud, water, "those mean looking cows, hating from over the fence", it took it all and came back asking for more! I was amazed by how often I felt that I was tired and could not pedal up the next hill. But when it came time to climb it, Bam I was up it like it was nothing. If you ask me they should have called this bike The Billy Goat. It’s a climbing monster. The one thing I would point out about this bike is that the handle bars are a bit on the narrow side. It can lead to feeling a bit unstable. But this is minor and a quick fix. Over all I love my new bike. For the price you cannot beat it! Heck for bikes $500 more, I think they would have a hard time beating it. If you’re looking into getting this bike... DO IT!!!

Purchased At:   Giantnerd.com

Submitted by Flinch a All Mountain Rider from Reno NV

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2012

Strengths:    BAMF Kimura model: Good components,light weight, has just right amount of flex in rear triangle plus tire (cushioning without being obnoxious), funk factor: explaining the name makes for interesting conversations. Does it roll over stuff that a 26" has trouble with? - yep. Took part of my normal ride through rocky terrain to get used to the fact that I wasn't going over the bars hitting former tank trap obstacles. I found myself taking more direct lines over large rocks (up to 10" diameter) that my FSR had to wind around. Can't afford to do 'trail tricks' on this stuff! Was a bit concerned about getting a hardtail 29- not now! Feels like a mix between a full rocker and my other hardtail 26" - not to soft, not to hard, just right.

This bike is a serious machine that can take it and keep on ticking. Feels a bit like I have a lower center of gravity, but part of that is the longer wheelbase than I'm used to - I understand now what riders say when they feel like they are sitting inside the bike, not on it.

Weaknesses:    Not really a weakness - the frame welds are generally good looking, but not quite as slick as the really high end stuff I've seen in stores. Seem strong as all heck though.

Bottom Line:
I'm heavy at 225 lbs, 5'11" and a l-i-t-t-l-e older than most riders (OK, a lot, but on the good side I'm in fair shape for a geezer), and this bike takes the abuse without payback. I've got a 20" frame as I like a little extra room, and with my 30" inseam there's plenty of standover room for the boys due to the slanted top tube.

As far as the fork goes, I like a firm front fork so just switched to the lockout setting. I'll play with it later, but it behaved as advertised. Heck, I like my old RockShox Judy with speed springs - so ain't picky!

Personal preference: Although I've not thrashed the bike, the rider who will enjoy this is the mountain cruiser to twisty track. The twisty ones should go for a shorter frame (Duh), but this baby squirts where it is aimed. Still getting used to the cornering (not bad, just a bit different line), and part of that is transition from my FSR shorter frame, and the longer one I chose. As-is the bike is fine for the 'normal' rider. However, I am not normal (just ask my wife): Changed the seat out for a more padded one (the included seat was OK for you normal/lightweights, except my butt is built for comfort, it ain't built for speed) - will swap seat posts from my FSR just because I like the adjustability on the old one more, and swap in one of my extra my handlebar riser stems as I like a more upright ride.

Been bike riding for > 50 years, and MT bikes for last 17. I'm used to my 1996 era 26" FSR Specialized full rocker, which has never let me down, and this is my first 29" bike. The impression I've got so far is that the bike is solidly built, light weight, and it goes where I point it. Don't let my FSR know, but I'm giving it a 'rest' - my go-to ride has come!

Got it on eBay advertised as a used bike, and it tuned out to be a store demo model with almost no wear. Woof! Was pleased. Got a screaming deal as compared to the lowest price on-line for a new one (lowest price new: $1049). Not much info on-line about these. I'm very satisfied - Buy one!

Favorite Trail:   Hidden Valley

Bike Setup:   To recap the components: SRAM X9 10 speed driveline, SRAM shifters, Avid 3 disk brakes (work great so far). RockShox Reba RL with lockout. Came without pedals -got my own XTR faves anyway.