Astrix Sports Rook 29er Hardtail

4.71/5 (7 Reviews)

• 29er XC Geometry
  • Top tube bend for additional standover clearance
  • Custom S bend seat stay and chain stay
  • Custom double butted aluminum

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by palerider a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2012

Strengths:    Price, run v brakes, paint, 7005 tubeset

Bottom Line:
    I got this frame fork off ebay on a whim, wanting a 29er with a little more snap than my big mama has. Built up the astrix with extra parts I had laying around. (My first 29er was a voodoo dambala, but that bike just never felt right.) All I can say is that after a few rides is wow! I like this bike. The bike is a steal at this price point. Great narrow singletrack handling, climbs very well, beats you up a bit on downhills but thats to be expected. Size large fit me perfect at 6 1"

Favorite Trail:   secret

Similar Products Used:   Voodoo dambala, salsa big mama

Bike Setup:   bontrager race wheels, tubeless, v brakes, aeris fork, thompson layback post, devo saddle, 8 sp gripshift! 24lb (could easily lose another lb)

Submitted by Silas Bussmann a Cross Country Rider from Albuquerque, NM USA

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2012

Strengths:    Steering
    stiffness
    looks
    price

Weaknesses:    can't think of any

Bottom Line:
    This is the best bike I've ever owned by a long shot. It's only my second 29er and after the frist one I owned which was a gary fisher dual suspension model (SUCKED!) I was doubting the 29er revolution. I decided to keep riding my soma groove and keep an eye out for a great deal. Several reviews lauded the Rook and as fate would have it one pops up on craigslist 2 weeks later with a great component setup at a steal of a price that had hardly been used. I took it for 40 miles the weekend after I got it and could have kept riding, another 20 or so last weekend. Power transfer and balance are incredible! I can crawl up ANYTHING. The hitch in the top tube also add benefits - knees can cross the centerline or the bike and don't whack the top tube, can do super tight turns and the handlebar doesn't hit the top tube. Can say enough good stuff about this frame!

Favorite Trail:   White Mesa

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Motobecane Ti 29er
    Gary Fisher dual suspension 29er

Bike Setup:   x9 shifters, xt front der, xtr rear der, average bontrager wheels, reba fork, magura louise carbon brakes

Submitted by jvossman a Cross Country Rider from Miami, FL USA

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2011

Strengths:    Strong and stiff, light given its an XL nice blue paint

Weaknesses:    No snob factor, people wonder what company it is

Bottom Line:
    So, this replaced the voodoo that I had for two weeks (geometry wasn't right for me). Thiso ne replaces my old gary fisher pro caliber. Weights maybe 1/4 lb more, much more stiff.

I can (and do) still rock the vbrakes, the jcurve on the top tube means I can comfortably stand over, paint looks good and its inexpensive.

Its my race bike and it weighs about 25lbs when I run tubeless. Not bad for an XL bike. (I'm 6'3").

Favorite Trail:   virginia key

Purchased At:   astrikworks

Similar Products Used:   I've owned 7 (wow!) 29ers. All vbrake animals

Bike Setup:   XTR mix.

Submitted by srozell a Weekend Warrior from Van Nuys

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2010

Strengths:    this bike has a stiff frame is very responsive and handles very well.

Weaknesses:    I have not found any weakness with the frame. I have a dart 3 fork on the bike which I don't like at all.

Bottom Line:
    I really like this bike. It is a good climber and handles very well. The only downside to the bike is the dart 3 fork. I think anybody that rides this bike will like the frame. the bike is set up with red and white components to match the red and white frame.

Favorite Trail:   Sullivan Canyon and Ridge

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Most bike I ride are 26ers. Specialized enduro and Acess.

Bike Setup:   Dart 3 fork, lx, xt parts mixture, magura brakes, carbon seatpost, cane creek headset.

Submitted by Glenn a Weekend Warrior from Stephentown, NY

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2007

Strengths:    Great geometry that inspires on downhills, perfect paint for now, good climber, reasonable value for a 29er.

Weaknesses:    No complaints.

Bottom Line:
    I ride a bit of everything (road, cross, XC). My Diamondaback Response was not adequate for long, tough mountian rides. I'm fairly fit (6'1" and 205)and have a dirtbiking background so I can ride hard in most situations. I love the fit of this 29er; it climbs, tracks unbelievably well in the snot and rocks, and stays straight downhill. The extra cushion inherent in the larger tires makes a notable difference. I will try the bike without the seatpost suspension later but for now, I'll take the weight penalty. I bought the bike off ebay but it was in brand new condition. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the frame and build it from scratch. This small company has hit the mark: looks great, performs very well, and is not overpriced.

Favorite Trail:   Pittsfield State Forest

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Diamondback Response, Specialized Stumpjumper.

Bike Setup:   Mix of LX and XT, Cane Creek Onos, WTB Nanoraptors, FSA bars, stem, headseat, RaceFace Crank, Avid BB7 brakes, ThudBuster seatpost, RockShock Tora 318, SPD pedals

Submitted by Texican a Cross Country Rider from San Antonio, TX USA

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2007

Strengths:    Price, Quality, Handling, Weight, and Overall very well finished

Weaknesses:    Maybe the color? A little bit on the heavy side, but not anything that is a deal breaker

Bottom Line:
    Very agile, nicely finished frame. It built up easy and looks great. As for the ride, it is very quick and rolls easily. Lots and Lots of stand over height. The geometry is very balanced, and it holds a line with ease: just point and go. I also have a Niner EMD, and the finish quality is indistinguishable, but the Rook is half the price. As for ride quality, the Rook is a little better climber and a little more nimble, but that probably has a lot to do with the fork.

Bottom line is that for the price, I don't think that there is a better 29er frame out there. I am extremely pleased with the Rook.

Favorite Trail:   Comfort

Stans Flow Rims laced to Hope Pro II disc Hubs, with Kenda Karmas
    Formula K18 Brakes

Submitted by Sevo a Cross Country Rider from Colorado Springs, CO USA

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2006

Strengths:    Where to start? First off for $499 the frame is an excellent value. 4lbs for a large frame is quite a deal considering I can run v-brakes still if I want (which I currently am). Welds are similar to those of frames that cost 2x as much and the paint job is quality too.

Ride quality is definetly up there. It's just a nimble riding frame that is great for riding singletrack. I love it. Just jumps when you get on the pedals yet the ride is not as harsh as you would expect from aluminum.

Weaknesses:    None really. Sure be nice if it was a wee lighter or wee cheaper but currently for the money/weight it's a steal.

Bottom Line:
    This is a quality frame I think you'll start to see more of as Astrix starts marketing more. Price, ride quality, weight, and finish are all outstanding values. Add in the fact this is one of the few lightweight frames you can use with v-brakes and you have a real winner. I've recommended this frame to one friend already who bought one. I'd recommend it to others as well. I'd buy it again. Top it all off the people at Astrix are great and really love bikes, which you can tell when you ride the frame.

Purchased At:   Asrix Sports

Similar Products Used:   Owned an On-One Inbred. Ridden GF, Niner SIR/EMD/Air, Karate Monkey, Dos Niner

Bike Setup:   Astrix Rook Frame, On-One Superlight fork, Avid Magnesium brakes with WTB pads, SRAM Shifters/Brake levers/front&rear ders/Chain/Cassette, Easton Carboon Post/Riser Handlebar, Race Face Stem, WTB Lock On style grips, Panaracer Rampage Tires, Crank Brothers Candy SL Interbike 2006 edition pedals, XTR Crank 2x9 (42/29), ZIPP carbon front hub 28h radial to Mavic CXP 30 rim, rear LX hub 32h DB spokes to Mavic Open Pro rim.

650b Rigid Rook

[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_vXw6ulp-dmc/TYPdxgCRh9I/AAAAAAAAFog/kHLGQdK88ds/s800/DSCF1452.JPG[/IMG] [IMG]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_vXw6ulp-dmc/TYPdebhZdzI/AAAAAAAAFoQ/ytNISNq1gxU/s800/DSCF1445.JPG[/IMG] [IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_vXw6ulp-dmc/TYPihwTq-QI/AAAAAAAAFp ... Read More »

Toe Overlap on an Astrix Rook

Does anyone know if an XL Atrix Rook has any toe overlap issues.. I have size 47 shoes and run an exiwolf up front.Read More »

got to be the quietest rook rack out there

My wife, who is doing some work for this company showed me this video. Cool to see technology moving forward not only in bikes but in the other gear we use!! Wonder what's next?? Carbon bars!!Read More »

The new Monk joins the Rook

After I got the Rook from Astrix, I pretty much fell in love... It just feels like the bike was made for me. So then all I have wanted since, was a Monk. I got the frame direct from Astrix about two months ago, and have been collecting parts and brain storming about the build ever since. Not ever ... Read More »

My New Rook has the Blues!

[IMG]http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m218/gunnarpilot/DSC04384.jpg[/IMG] I'm in the process of finishing my new Rook.I need to run some cables and get a chain.I decided to run it 2x9.I'm impressed with the bike so far.The fit is dead on.I'll finish and give a full report.The Blue frame is ... Read More »