Airborne Goblin Trail 29er Hardtail

Metallic Mexico Blue. Airborne's hardtail trail 29er. Hydroformed frame with tapered HT, pressfitGXP BB and 142x12 rear end, RockShox Revelation RL fork, full SRAM X7 2x10 drivetrain with X9 Type 2 RD, Hayes Prime Comp brakes, Charger Comp wheelset.

Submitted by RSDSav a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2014

Strengths:    Great geometry, well thought out parts selection

Weaknesses:    Maybe the grips, I know I'm being picky

Bottom Line:
I picked up the Goblin Evo after owning many mountain bikes over the last 15 years and having custom bikes built for me. I have now had this bike for about 7 months. But now the line in the sand has been drawn and I must watch my budgets, I digress. I looked around at bikes to pick up and really wanted something more than an XC bike but did not want a dual suspension. The relaxed angles are great. The bike is very confidence inspiring and really smooths out the ride. 29er wheels and 2.4 inch tires really make the ride smooth and corners with authority. Descending on this bike is better than any hardtail I have owned/ridden before. I am a former bike shop employee for many years, I have been on many models and brands. The Rock Shox fork sets up well, nice to not have too many adjustments, just the right amount. The fork never seems to be out of it's element.

The drivetrain works very well out of the box and shines with a little tuning. The X9 type 2 is great on this bike. Very little chain slap and shifts very quickly. The crankset looks great and performs just as well. I am running magnesium flat pedals right now but also run eggbeaters when I want to push for a Strava KOM.

I really like having both thru axles front and rear. I think this really helps stiffen the bike on both ends over the nasty trails. This adds so much control in rock gardens and rooty descents.

I have converted to a 1x10 with a Race Face chainring and added wider Race Face bars. Again adding to the very stable and fun descending ability of the bike. I converted to tubeless using the included Stan's and valves. Great to see that little kit in the box with the bike! I run very low air pressure, around 20-25 psi, and am loving the Maxxis Ardent tires. I know that tires are dependent on your riding area and style but I think they fit this bike very well.

I keep talking about the descending but climbing is a breeze. I really love to pedal this bike on the flats as well. This is not the fastest bike, please see the XC flavored Goblin, but overall is a really fun ride. The wheels are a great touch, the Chargers are great to see on a bike where most brands give you generic or house brand hubs and rims. They are a little heavy but stout and roll very easily. Airborne hit the nail on the head and is offering a great bike at a price no one else can touch.

Assembly was simple, I have over 15 years of shop experience but I really think most can put it together with help from a youtube video if needed. The guys at Airborne are really nice, help you every step of the way if you have issues. I am looking forward to many years on this bike.

How many times have you heard, "this bike is so fast", "this bike is so burly", "this bike is so light" etc. How about this one. It is simple, we ride because we enjoy riding. This bike is just FUN!

Purchased At:   Airborne

Bike Setup:   Stock except for wider bars, 1x10

2013 Marin nail trail vs Airborne Goblin

I can get either of these for under $1300 shipped right now and need help deciding which one. The reviews on both seem great except for one review I saw on the Marin that said it handled terribly. This will be my first 29er after riding a 26er FS for several years. Pros and cons of both? Both are ... Read More »

Introducing the new Goblin Evolution Trail 29er

We are pleased to announce the coming of the new Goblin Evolution Trail 29er. Based around an all new trail version of the Goblin frame with the following differences from a normal Goblin frame: Frame optimized for 120mm travel fork Larger diameter top-tube, downtube, chainstays, and seats ... Read More »