Access Stealth 3.0 29er Hardtail

• Headset: Orbit IS IS-2 ACB 1 1/8" integrated
  • Shifters: Shimano SLX, 3-speed

Submitted by davidshabat a Racer from northeast Georgia

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2012

Strengths:    Great components for price, CF frame is a freebie once you figure component market prices

Weaknesses:    handlebars, seatpost, stem, seat all have to go. Need to get a chainstay protector, remote lockout doesn't feel as "locked out" as my "turn to lock" fox fork. Would've preferred lighter wheelset from same manufacturer (the Flows are actually more money retail than Arch)

Bottom Line:
Twitchier handling than GF 29ers, which is GREAT in tight spots. Obviously, comparing to a FS 29er is apples to oranges. This bike did everything I asked it to do on a training ride over tight singletrack, fire roads, and doubletrack. After a 2.5 hour training ride, my back didn't hurt at all (which is why I originally bought a FS 29er, fearing back pain from a hardtail on longer rides). My only question now is frame durability.

Favorite Trail:   GIHP Conyers - Granite Side

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   None. I have a FS 29er

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by 4SEVEN3 a Cross Country Rider from Greensboro

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2011

Strengths:    Full SLX group, Stans rims and tires. FOX front fork. The Stan's rim and tire combo are awesome in dry weather! The fit, finish, build of the bike overall is excellent!

Weaknesses:    Junk seat post, handlebars, stem, and hubs the Stan's rims are laced to. Having spoke tension issues with the wheels. The spokes are making noise and coming loose. The Performance store I bought the bike from is making good and fixing the issue while checking into other possible solutions.

Bottom Line:
Love the bike overall though they did shave some corners and it's not terribly hard to fix them. The seat post, stem, bars and hubs appear to be the cheapest things on the bike. The bars are really narrow, I had to install wider bars (robbed from my SS) so that the Ergons's and the controls would all fit. The rest of the stuff got replaced with Thompson parts, but really there wasn't any faults with the OE parts, just wanted better quality.
I'm dealing with spoke tension issues now. After initial riding the spokes came loose so I had them retensioned, it didn't take 30 miles of riding and there making all kinds of racket! Performance is making good and working on them, and there's a rash of 3 bikes that have the same issue. The hubs are junk so I think I'll have some wheels built inside the Stan's Flow rims with better hubs. I LOVE the SLX group and the brakes, the bike overall is awesome, and it goes without saying the FOX fork hasn't given me a ounce of trouble!!!!

I give it a 5 for overall, since hardly any bikes at this price point come with an entire matching group AND tubeless! Over all a 4, Performance could have done a better job on the hubs and better house brand parts for the post, stem and bars. But that's just splitting hairs.

Favorite Trail:   Wid Turkey

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose Cannan Elite, Specialized FSR, Trek 4300, Focus Black Forest 1.0

Bike Setup:   Stock, but I changed the seat post, stem, and seat collar to Thompson. The grips are my trusty Ergons's and I installed the carbon Forte CTX handlebars. Running my heavy, but bulletproof M520 pedals.

Access Stealth 3.0 worth it?

I am gonna be getting a new bike and I am a little inclined into getting a bike from performance. here is a link It is on sale right now for $1799. and 10% for being a member. it has shimano slx parts and stans flow rims. Is it a good deal? or should I look somewhere else? thanks I gue ... Read More »