Yeti Cycles SB-95 29er Full Suspension

4.86/5 (22 Reviews)

Built as the big brother to the SB66, the SB95 is Yeti first offering in to the full suspension 29 category and let me tell you, it was WELL worth the wait. The SB95 exceeded all expectations. From its ability to concur the steepest and most technical climbs, to its nimble and sharp handling on the descents, the SB95 will not let you down.

Submitted by Ian a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2014

Strengths:    It's feels lighter than it looks. Pedals really smooth. Climbs like a monkey on crack.

Weaknesses:    None that I could find so far.

Bottom Line:
This bike is an absolute blast to ride. Corners very well and climbs great. Theres sections of trails near my house that I couldnt get all the way to the top with my previous bike but with the Yeti I did. The bike looks like a friggin stealth bomber in flat black. I don't fully understand how Switch technology works but I know that I like it A LOT. If you think that you're not that good of a rider to get such an expensive bike then you are missing out on a great bike that will make you a better rider.

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Superlight

Submitted by ben davis

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2014

Strengths:    plush, descent drivetrain spec for price (x9 stuff), seems like just the right amount of slack head angle, nifty active suspension design. Love the color schemes.

Weaknesses:    Man am I sick of elixir brakes. I have a conspiracy that the CTD levers arent actually hooked up to any valves and are just there for placebo. my Yeti makes this haunting yeti howl in my basement when I don't ride it for a few weeks.

Bottom Line:
Iv'e wanted a Yeti for about 20 years, and know I have one! For a middle aged dude that cant really afford to hurt himself to badly, this bike offers just the plush ripping I needed. I whish it had been offered in a Deore/SLX grade.

Submitted by Aaron a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2014

Strengths:    This bike has a roll-over-anything monster truck feel without also feeling to big or cumbersome. The SB95 definitely inspires confidence on the trail. It's agile, fast, descends really well just about everything: flow tracks, through rock gardens, drops and gnar. And it climbs extremely well too - I have been able to clean the same technical sections that gave me much more trouble on my 29er hard tail. The rear suspension on this frame is amazing - smooth and responsive. It hasn't even been that jarring when I've occasionally bottomed it out on big drops. I've taken my to bike parks a number of times and it handles jump lines and tabletops fairly well for a bike with such big wheels.

Weaknesses:    I wouldn't mind if the chainstays were a bit shorter, and the frame was a little lighter (not that it's really what I'd call heavy.) And I'm 5'7" riding a small and sometimes the bike does feel a bit big, especially in the air, where it can drift a bit at times, and in really tight switchbacks. Though that could easily be my lack of finesse.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike - the best I've ever owned or ridden. I've taken mine on trails from Texas to Wisconsin to the southern rockies of New Mexico. I've even raced it in an enduro stage race and it handled everything the trail could throw at it - which was a lot.

Mine is a custom build, so I can't comment on the overall component package of the stock bike. But I did switch to the 142x12 rear dropout (comes with the frame), which helped stiffen things up a bit.

As I said earlier I'm 5'7", about 145 lbs in riding gear and I ride a small. Tires on the ground this bike feels like it can roll over just about anything, it seems. It's stable and confidence-inspiring. I find myself ripping down trails on my Yeti, and have blasted through some pretty rough sections during races. I have a short stem and wide bars which helps with control, and 34-22T chainrings up front which helps with the climbs. And this bike can climb.

Once the bike leaves the ground, however, it feels like it can drift a bit - which could be a combination of the longer wheelbase, the big spinning tires and my own jumping skills, which could be better. On drops it feels stable and the suspension is super-smooth.

I also have Stan's Arch wheels on my SB95, which for trail riding feel a little thin. I'll be upgrading to Flows this spring, which should only improve the bike's performance in rough conditions. And this bike could really benefit from a dropper post, which I'll also be adding in a few weeks as well.

If you're looking for a do-anything 29er, this is a great bike.

Bike Setup:   Rockshox Revelation 140mm fork, Stan's Arch rims laced to Hope Pro II hubs, Maxxis Ardent 2.25/Specialized The Captain 2.2, SLX brakes, crankset and rear mech, XT front mech, Sunline V1 762 bars, Truvativ AKA stem, KS LEV dropper post, ODI grips, Deity Compound pedals.

Submitted by T S

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2013

Strengths:    Coming from off road motorcycle background, handling and riding position very comfortable

Weaknesses:    Not a fault of the bike but affordable build I bought is a big heavy at 31 pounds, 9 ounces with pedals

Bottom Line:
Since purchase I have demo'd Pivot, Trek, Rocky Mountain and Santa Cruz along with my wife's Cannondale High end Scapel and I have yet to ride a bike that feels as good as the Yeti. Everything I ride is judged against the Yeti. My problem now is do I go for the carbon or slowly make the upgrades to my current 2013 model year frame to lighten it up With high end wheels and possibly a sram xx1. Still researching if the carbon rear trio angle from the current model that saves 1 pound will fit and what cost will be.

Purchased At:   Javelina Cycles

Submitted by 3xv

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2013

Strengths:    Fit, drivetrain efficiency, OEM spec parts, looks

Weaknesses:    Price

Bottom Line:
The SB95 was a gift by my wife for father's day to replace a 2007 Spec S-works enduro SL with all the bells and whistles I wanted on that bike.

The moment I sat on the Yeti for a test ride, I immediately felt at home with the controls and the way the bike behaved under me.

I've set-up the suspension based on the trails that I will be predominantly riding in the greater Houston area. Handling is similar to the Specialized I had albeit with a little bit of front-end push which I can compensate with leaning through the corners a bit more.

The Yeti drivetrain with the switch suspension feels more efficient (to me) compared to my old bike and I register a faster average speed through the same trails around town.

Only gripe I have with the bike as previously posted by other reviewers is the bottle cage location, but other than that, the bike is perfect for my needs and riding style.

Submitted by Adrian a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2013

Strengths:    Big wheels, good handling (for a 29er, with slack head angle and short chainstays), ability to eat large chunks of trail and spit them out behind you, technical descending, feels right for a big guy like me.

Pretty cool looking (mine is Yeti Turqoise).

Switch suspension works great.

Weaknesses:    Spec: my bike came with mismatched XT brake levers (part numbers don't match). This became an issue when I wanted to install the Shimano I-spec (matchmaker) brake/shifter single clamp setup (which was an upgrade, come on Yeti, just include I-spec OEM); doesn't include dropper post OEM, which is obviously a must have.

Not a fault of the bike (but I want to rant a bit): the spec'd 10-speed XT cassette isn't a one-piece unit like the 9-speed version. It is multi-piece metal and has gouged the DT-Swiss aluminum freehub after only 20 hours of riding. Why does anyone make freehubs out of alumnium? This should be a steel-only part (I'll take the 30 gram or whatever) penalty. I don't want to pay $350 for a ten-speed XTR one-piece cassette. Please bike industry, use a little common sense here.

Water bottle cage placement is poor. Yeti, why didn't you fix the shock to the top tube instead of the down tube and leave room for a bottle cage in the right place?

Bottom Line:
I've ridden my Yeti for over two weeks now on my home trails in the Columbia Valley, B.C. as well as trips to Revelstoke, Golden, and Nelson, B.C. and it has shone in every application. This is a very capable bike when things get gnarly and steep -- much more so than a 5" or 'trail' 26 -- both uphill and down. I'd say it can stay with a 6" or even 7" 26er on technical descents -- and the wheels, of course, carry momentum better than a 26. I've got the 140mm Fox Float on mine.

It is extremely stable at speed and feels like a Norco Team DH I used to have in this regard. Mine is an XL, which fits me at 6'3" just fine. It's hard to believe a bike this big is so fast.

It is 32 pounds so it's definitely a light heavyweight. I was a bit disappointed when I saw it on the scale for the first time, but truthfully the thing climbs really well. It hides that weight very, very well.

People complain about the DT-Swiss XR400 rims, and I was skeptical of them initially, but they've been great. No complaints here to this point.

My first 29er, this thing has a better pedaling platform than the Giant Reign I came off of, but it does use all of it's travel. I typically leave the CTD in descend mode all the time on the trail, the only time I use the climb mode is on long fire road climbs. I do like a little squish for extra traction on trail though.

I am still getting used to riding a slack geometry 29er. You do have to corner differently because of the taller front end. Push more of your weight over the front wheel -- or you risk front tire washout (probably should have probably been doing on my old bike as well). A friend of mine who is an excellent rider says you need to "man up" when riding a 29er. I agree that cornering with authority takes a little more commitment than on a 26er, but like I said, more forward weight is a good habit to develop.

Bike wheelies well, thank you short chainstays.

The big wheels and big bike make popping off of things a little different than a 26. You can still do it just fine, but you have to size things up a little earlier and can't do the poppy stuff as last minute as you can on a 26. Again, the man up thing. You can, however, launch this bike off of anything and I can comfortably bunny hop logs, rocks, etc. on the trail that are larger than I felt comfortable on my 26.

This is a very good bike and I am happy to be on it.

Duration Product Used:   15 days

Bike Setup:   XT Build

Submitted by Nick a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2013

Strengths:    Handling, size/fit, quality, climbing, descending

Bottom Line:
Best bike I've ever had. I spent 4 years on Niner RIP9's and took one demo ride on a SB95, and then ordered one. I'm 5'7" and I got a medium, and I came off a small RIP9 (roughly the same top tube length). The Yeti fits me a lot better. The bars are lower relative to the pedals. I don't need a negative rise stem (run a 0degree) to get the bars low enough! The slack headtube is the killer feature though! It makes the handling so good. I'm in Norcal and ride up in Tahoe regularly. I love the downhill biased slack angles. Riding this bike instantly made me faster and more confident. I am comfortable doing things that I was nervous about on my RIP9. The rear suspension uses all the travel, all of the time, but I never feel the bottom. It just feels smooth and awesome all the time. I don't notice a bob on climbs, but I like the Fox CTD rear shock. The Climb setting keeps the rear suspension more extended during climbing, keeping the bike better balanced.

I custom built mine, so I can't comment on the stock build kits. It begs for a dropper seat post though. I'm running Sram XX1 with the 28t ring. So I can climb great. I get into the high gear now and then but if I'm rolling downhill, I don't generally feel the need to pedal.

Favorite Trail:   Hole in the Ground

Duration Product Used:   8 mon

Purchased At:   Big Swinging Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Niner RIP9

Bike Setup:   Sram XX1 (28t ring), Fox 5" dropper post, Shimano XT brakes, Ardent 2.4/Ikon 2.2 tires, wheels, 70mm stem, 720mm bars, pedals, Ergon saddle.

Submitted by Varaxis a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2012

Strengths:    Amazing traction
Confidence inspiring
Pedals very well
Great fit
Beautiful

Weaknesses:    Water bottle location
Tire rub

Bottom Line:
I was riding my Superfly 100 a bit harder than it could handle and wanted a step up. I demo'd a few other contenders, but the Yeti stood out as being the only that felt like a worthy upgrade over my SF100 for the trails I ride and my riding style. It made everything I wanted to do, easier, allowing me to take my riding to a whole new level. I wanted to travel more I was riding confidently and fast, on trails new to me. The only things that I got tripped up on, is when I found myself in the wrong gear, but fortunately, the SB95's suspension is so well designed that it doesn't care how you pedal. The new Shimano XT doesn't cry if you're a bit late with the shifting either.

The fit and ride feel are hard to describe. I'm 5'7" and could've chose either the Sm or the Med, but chose the Small primarily because I like low handlebars. The 3.7" HT and inset/zerostack headset combined to get my handlebars where I like it, without needing a crazy neg rise stem or flat (or neg rise) bars, and helped create a perfect feeling front end. The ride feel is not plush, yet not firm, and not overly stiff, but stiff enough to give great confidence. It feels great at speed and yet likes to climb. The traction is just amazing. Give this thing faster low profile tires and braking control might feel a bit lower, but let off the brakes and it still has more than enough traction and control. I feel like I can push it so much more than any 5" bike has a right to be pushed.

The only thing negative I have to say is the tire buzzing sounds when I hit particularly hard bumps. The front can buzz the water bottle if you have one, and the rear can buzz the back of the seatpost if you run a big tire.

At under 150 lbs in riding gear, even I could feel the DT wheels flexing a bit when sideloaded, which wasn't a bad thing for me, as I think it gave me a bit more traction in the turns, but I can see how heavier riders would not like them. The hubs are great though and worth keeping, with an appropriate rim upgrade for a rider's weight and riding style.

Newer bikes have already came out that have caught my eye, but I don't regret my purchase at all. I would've maybe considered the Intense Spider 29 Comp and the Cube Super Stereo HPC, if I had the money... among alloy frames in this class, I firmly believe that this is the best choice.

Purchased At:   HucknRoll

Similar Products Used:   Turner Sultan, Tallboy LT, Spider 29, RIP9, WFO9

Bike Setup:   RockShox Reverb Dropper Post
Edge 29 XC rims, CK hubs
Enve DH Riser bar, Point1 Split Second 50mm stem

Submitted by wfo922 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2012

Strengths:    The xt build is a great value, wide bars, 34 mm fork, large frame tubes this bike kills it on the rough stuff.

Weaknesses:    The wheels are a little under built for what the rest of the bike can handle.

Bottom Line:
I'm 6'2" weigh 200 lbs and I chose a xl frame size. I test rode a pivot 429, santa cruz tallboy and when I hopped on the yeti, instantly I knew it was the one. The bike is so natural to ride it makes you want to attack the trail. From railing a corner to dropping a gnarly rocky root infested chute, the bike just begs you to push the limits. It's a sweet ride.

Submitted by Fruitatracker

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2012

Strengths:    Can climb techie rock gardens amazingly well; rolls over stuff like a monster truck, plus the big wheels (run tubeless 25 psi) mute a lot of the small stuff that gets transmitted to the rider on a 26er; incredibly stiff chassis that is brilliantly executed

Weaknesses:    Same as any 29er - it takes extra effort to keep the wheels rolling up those techie rock gardens, and you get a bit of wheel flex on some off-camber moves

Bottom Line:
A superb "desert" bike - take it to Fruita, Moab or Sedona and unleash the beast. Looks damn good, too.

Submitted by LookerBob a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2012

Strengths:    Pedals like a hardtail+, seems to ride over the top of anything, great cockpit, top of the line suspension. Rides like a much lighter bike. Makes me a faster, better rider. Comfortable.

Weaknesses:    Price, weight

Bottom Line:
Easily the best bike I've ever owned or ridden. The switch suspension pedals almost like a hardtail, but with the addition of some great bump absorption that helps keep the rear wheel stuck to the ground on technical ascents. As a result, I feel like I get more consistent and useful power onto the ground than I would with a hardtail, at least for the types of trails that we have in Southeastern Wyoming where there are a lot of rocks and roots.

The Fox 34 fork combined with the Switch/RP23 Kashima rear suspension and 29 inch wheels on this bike makes for an extremely able descender that seems to roll over the top of almost anything, and I've ridden out of sticky situations where I know I would have gone down on a 26 inch bike. On fast flowing single track, the bike can really carve a nice smooth line, but it really shines in technical stuff where it makes line selection less critical - you can often point it and bomb it and the bike will just eat up whatever you throw in front of it. I came from a Yeti 575, and I feel much more comfortable and fast descending on this bike than I did on the longer travel 26" bike.

The cost of all of this lays in both the price, and the weight of the bike. Even with the high price, there are some components that are not quite up to the standard of the rest of the bike. Some people have complained about wheelset, but I've had no complaints in that aspect at all. The cassette on the Enduro build is a lower end SRAM, and pretty heavy. My size L bike, weighed at the shop the day I bought it, was right at 30lbs. However, due to the fantastic design of the rear suspension and a comfortable cockpit, the bike feels several pounds lighter than it is. My 575 was somewhere between 27 and 28 pounds, and I felt like it was a decent climber, but there is no contest on which bike I'd want to pedal up a hill.

I did need to have the DU bushing on the rear shock replaced after only about 3 weeks, but since then I haven't had an issue, so it might have just been an issue with that one bushing.

I demo'd several bikes in this class prior to purchasing (Niner RIP 9, Trek Rumblefish, Santa Cruz Tallboy and Tallboy LT), and while the Niner was a great bike, this was clearly the best overall.

If you are in the market, and it is in your price range, I think that this is THE bike if you want one bike that can do it all.

Favorite Trail:   El Alto, Curt Gowdy

Duration Product Used:   Since May, 2012

Purchased At:   Road 34 Bike Shop, F

Similar Products Used:   Niner RIP 9, Trek Rumblefish, Santa Cruz Tallboy LT, Yeti 575

Bike Setup:   Enduro build, have replaced cassette with XO, handlebar with Easton Haven Carbon, and went to a 12x142mm rear axle. In retrospect, I should have bought the XT built.

Submitted by bear a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2012

Strengths:    Technical trail handling; descending; rigidity of the frame (in all the right ways only); lovely physical design; seems to be regular/low maintenance required (see comments below though); fabulous Everything bike

Weaknesses:    stock build wheelset is wimpy (narrow DT XR400 rims, hubs seem okay so far); rear shock eye bushing wears fast (for me); stock rear tire wears fast;

Bottom Line:
This is a fabulous One Bike - the only thing I'd NOT do on this bike is huge DH/FR drops and BIG DH chunk-fests - stuff where you really want another 2 or more inches of travel. But remember, this IS a trail-bike not a freeride-bike!

It's a little heavy (30# ish) and the geometry isn't right for someone looking for a lightweight XC race "whip" - but it would probably excel at marathon MTB racing, certainly Enduro MTB racing, and is just a kill general-use trail bike.

If you want a general use / trail bike, I don't think you an go wrong.

I could gush for pages, but since I've already done that I'll give you the link to that instead : http://forums.mtbr.com/yeti/hey-yeti-dudes-n-chix-thanks-sb-95-a-793432.html

Here's the short version though.

It rocks.

I have put over 500 miles in little under 8 weeks of ownership, on small and huge rides all over NE PA and NJ.

Buff stuff, relentlessly rocky rooty, super-fast chunky downhills, chunky climbs, gravel grinder climbs, tight and twisty, huge rock rollers, modest jumps, modest drops (3-4'), etc.

Hour long techy post-work rides to 7+ hour epics with 5000' of climbing and multi-mile descents.

It does almost everything I asked my 6x6 26er (Titus Quasi-Moto) or my 7x7 26er (Titus SuperMoto) to do and does it with more composure and does it faster, I feel.

I just draw the line at HUGE drops (over 4') and DH/FR rock-fests at speed (think Mountain Creek Bike Park Stalker or BMW or Asylum trails).

I pretty much leave the shock in the lightest compression-damped setting all the time; and on the trail the fork stays pretty much in Descend mode.

I only use the fork Climb mode / shock ProPedal mode for long gravel-grinder or road climbs.

I have found few blemishes of the bike, but there are some minor warts. Could be the build (done by LBS in NE PA) or could be more systemic, or could be the rider, you decide.

- rear tire as shipped wore out in ~200 trail miles (Maxxis Ikon 3C EXO)

- rear shock eye bushing wore out fast - 1st in 1 week, second in less than 2 weeks, until I replaced the mount hardware with Fox pin&sleeve, 6 weeks and going strong on 3rd bushing

- DT XR400 rims are too lightweight for this bike, it deserves something trail oriented. I had significant deformities in the rear wheel and almost daily truing required, and minor issues with the front wheel after 2 weeks of ownership. I replaced with Stan's Flow and the build has been solid and maintenance free for six weeks. I am still planning a 36 spoke "burly" wheelset build for if/when I take it to a bike park. ha ha ha.

- 160mm rear rotor could not dissipate heat well enough and the brake faded on me completely on a couple descents in Michaux State Forest (near Gettysburg, PA). 180mm rotor solved this, apparently. Nicely enough if I decide to there is plenty of frame and fork room for 200mm rotors, and if I wanted to bling-out I could use ice-tech for best heat handling. Don't think I need it though, but we'll see.

- rear brake hose rubbed a bit of anodizing off the black Switch yoke, I zip-tied it to the vertical rear-triangle spart and stopped that.

- front derailleur housing rubbed a bit into the bottom of the bottom bracket, I added a wrap of hockey tape around the housing where the lowest two zip-tie mounts are on the down tube and snugged it down tight with zip ties to give the mount point extra holding power. We'll see if that stops it. I think the hose had slipped forward so the suspension cycling was causing the cable housing to rub the frame.

- no way for moisture that gets into the frame to drain out easily. I am considering drilling a hole in the bottom of the BB shell to allow this since I live in an area where moisture is an issue.

- with a 28t granny, for the chain to clear the MRP XCG bash, I had to add a 1mm spacer to gap the crank out a little further. If you're running 24t or smaller it's not an issue. If you're running 1x it's not an issue.

- the saddle is hit or miss in fit (WTB Rocket V), works mostly for me, but I know some hate it. Still, I am considering changing one with a shorter back-end.

Favorite Trail:   TX (BCGB), NJ (Lumpy Bumpy), PA (Somewhere in Michaux SF); AZ (Bugs-Millie); NM (South Boundary);...

Duration Product Used:   two months

Purchased At:   Sickler's Bike n Spo

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Camber; Niner RIP; variety of other FS bikes (Titus, Ellsworth, Ventana, Kona, Trek, Salsa)

Bike Setup:   Stock Yeti "Race" build - basically 2012 XT DynaSys drivetrain and brakes; DT 350 hubs/XR400 rims; Thomson stem/post; East Haven carbon bars; 2012 RP23 rear shock, 2013 32 Float 29 CTD/trail-adjust fork.

I weigh 200#, have a 10-15# camelback, the fork is at 60 psi, the shock is at 192 psi.

My primary build changes are:

- convert 3x cranks to 2x by replacing 24/32/42 rings with 28/38
- rebuilt wheels with Stan's Flow rims on stock DT 350 hubs, added 36t ratchet to rear hub
- replaced rear rotor (160mm stock) with 180mm (plain, not ice-tech)
- added Bionicon v2 chainguide, to quiet chain slap and add some retention (works great)
- added MRP XCG bash guard (mounted on ISCG-5 tabs)
- replaced rear shock mount hardware with Fox pin&sleeve (no, not the newest style, just metal)
- replaced grips with Ergon GX1
- Time Z Strong pedals
- currently running Panaracer Rampage 2.35 tires (tubeless) and they seem pretty great on the bike

Submitted by professed a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2012

Strengths:    Ability to plough through and smooth all manner of chunky/gnarly terrain.
Stable, confidence inspiring decender.
Terrific bike on any technical terrain which begs you to find a tougher line to ride so it can level it for you.
Pedals very well on the way back to the top. Faster than a hardtail if you have the legs over chunk.
Very linear and non progressive shock rate so you easily use the suspension stroke required to soak all hits.
Remarkably nimble and very very stiff.

Weaknesses:    Big and heavy (with XT build kit)
When climbing very lumpy/chunky terrain you can get some funky pedal feedback
Many describe it as very efficient but it isnt exactly. Biased to the sensitive and plush so not a super pedaller on smooth terrain.

Bottom Line:
The SB 95 next to you feels huge. But hop on top and itssuprisingly nimble and agile for a 29er. Given its wheelbase itstill feels like a slack hardtail of similar top tube dimensions. This is a good thing.

With alternative rubber (Hans Dampf up front) the bike is an incredible descender. Any lines you may have taken in the past need not be adhered to. Just point and plow.
This must be its best atribute, it is trully the best MTB I have ridden in technical terrain.
The rear end is very stable but reacts instantly to any change in terrain. It is so subtle and responsive. This allows for fantastic traction and inspires hugh confidence.

The Fox 34 is a quite different to any fox I have owned before. It uses all its travel !
This fork and the slack and stable head angle obviously play a huge role in the bikes ability to blast through and down anything you have the skill and balls to handle.
It honestly feels like a 7" coil sprung freeride bike on the descents.

Given this it also gets up the other side rather well.
The shock rate, even though very linear, seems to be supported by a decent amount of anti squat dialed into the linkage geometry.
Seated pedalling is efficient and stable and even in out of the saddle efforts are quite stable but not the same as some of the more progressive dual link designs such as the DW link or the short 4 bar set ups like the Giant Maestro and Niner Jet9.
This just leads to a different style of ascending but if your an out of the saddle masher then you might be disapointed.

When seated the SB95 climbs steps better thanall above but does give a bit of funky pedal feedback on the big steps and lumps during a climb when you are grinding hard.

Its heft, which some dont seem to mind, is an issue for me and I expect for those who are used to lighter bikes. It prevents itfrom being a "point and shoot" machine.

It has the makings of one if it were about 3kg lighter. To get it down that much would mean waiting for the lighter carbon frame and a big spend on wheels and other kit.

Perhaps some rear shock tuning would also make it more sprightly. I find the SB 95 feels a tad less efficient and pedal responsive compared to their SB66 - just in the uphill pedal response, that is all. I actually prefer it to the SB 66 for anything else but I like a more cruisey 29er feel.

The rear end is definitely more lively than any other multi linkage I have tried but its still hard to make the bike "pop" with its heft and almost too plush rear end.

Overall a super impresive ride.
Very much a Trail oriented technical terrain machine.
Not an XC racer that's for sure but has potential as an endurance racer as it turns any nasty trail into a smooth superhighway.

The bike trully flatters its rider.

Favorite Trail:   Redhill/Cromer/Kowan/Awaba

Duration Product Used:   3 days

Purchased At:   City Bike Depot

Similar Products Used:   As for 29ers - Niner SIR 9, Orbea Alma, Giant Anthem, Trek Superfly 100, Pivot 429, Jet9 RDO

Bike Setup:   XT build kit with trigger shifters (yuk ! - so slow - im an XO gripper shifter) , XT brakes with 160mm rotors ( perfectly powerfull enough suprisingly...) Racing Ralph rear and Hans Dampf front (tubeless)

Submitted by Collin a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2012

Strengths:    Climbs better than hardtails. Very efficient, I have been up some pretty steep climbs and never taken it out of the middle ring, granny gear is for only the most extreme of climbs (and I am a 250 lb clydesdale, not a climber at all). Descends like my 7 inch travel Kona Coilair, wait not like, better.

Weaknesses:    Price! XR400 rims may be a bit light, tire choice a bit poor (rear will wash out on loose corners). Could use the 12mm x 142 in the rear but it's still pretty freaking stiff.

Bottom Line:
Flat out, best bike I have ever owned or ridden on. This is my first foray into the 29er world and I am hooked. I swapped with my buddy on a Ibis Mojo and he said "I need to get one of these" I asked "a 29er?:" he commented back, "nope, one of these". After less than 15 minutes he was hooked.

Out of the box, once the suspension is dialed in, this thing just makes you better. The climbs are shorter, downhills faster, no loss of momentum, just better. It took a little bit to get used to the wagon wheels but now sitting on a 26er just feels wrong. Best of all, this bike just makes me ride more and the girls find me way more attractive. Ok, I may have made the last one up but you get my point.

Favorite Trail:   Quirk Creek

Duration Product Used:   3 weeks

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Ibis Mojo, Santa Cruz Blur, Fezzari Nebo Peak, Kona Coilair Deluxe

Bike Setup:   Yeti Enduro Build.

Submitted by Zachary a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2012

Strengths:    Great climber and awesome on the descents.

Weaknesses:    None... I guess if you're picky the weight is a bit much but I don't think it's a huge issue. Frame color choices are limited.

Bottom Line:
I demoed the SB 95 3 times for 2 days each time. My first impression was that it is very good on the uphill and very stable and fun on the downhill. I've ridden it on very flowy singletrack and very rocky, almost freeride type trails. It eats up everything with ease. I have always ridden with the rear shock wide open and have never needed to adjust it. In comparison, I demoed the FSR Stumpy 29er for 2 days and I had to toggle the rear shock depending on if I was climbing or descending. I never felt as efficient or comfortable as I did on the SB 95. The geometry of the SB 95 is amazing, I love it... I also tried the Ellsworth Evolve and it was a little too active, lots of bob on the uphill. Didn't like it.

Favorite Trail:   Whole Enchilada