Yeti Cycles SB-95 C 29er Full Suspension

• Dropouts Allow For 142mm x 12mm
  • Post Mount Rear Brake Tab

Submitted by teck13 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2014

Strengths:    Balance, Dialed, Strong

Weaknesses:    Dropper should be INCLUDED in the medium (Race & X01) and top (Pro) builds. Front end can get a touch light and try to wander on steeper climbs. Stock granny gearing a little high, like most 29er's.

Bottom Line:
After each ride three things stand out about the Yeti SB95 carbon on top of, “Holy crap I can’t believe how awesome this bike is and I cleared that.” The three things are: Balance, Dialed, Strong.

Here’s a touch of background to add context to this review. My previous bike is a 2006 Specialized Epic. I demoed extensively four other bikes before purchasing the Yeti: Ibis Ripley, Yeti 575, Santa Cruz Long-Travel Tallboy Carbon, and Pivot 429 carbon. I have a couple hundred miles (15 rides) on the Yeti across a variety of trails with different difficulty levels. So, the “new bike smell” thing is still happening but it’s not so strong it’s clouding my judgment. Furthermore, I’m what euphemistically is called a Clydesdale and am on the downhill side of 50.

One-Balance: There ARE bikes that do one thing better than the SB95 carbon but no bike is a better all-rounder—which is exactly what I wanted in a trail bike. Of the twenty ninners I demoed only the Ripley climbed better and just barely. The Ripley felt a tiny bit more efficient up hill and if anything I felt too far over the front of that bike (more of the on-the-bike feeling and less of the in-the-bike/Yeti feeling I prefer). On the big sweepers - especially with any kind of berm - the Yeti and 429 tied. The 429 was probably a touch faster but the Yeti was always more comfortable and gave me the most confidence to go faster. Down, the Santa Cruz, with its extra inch of travel, killed it. No need to pick a line but the Yeti was right on it’s rear tire and felt smoother, more controlled and like butta.

Two-Dialed: People find religion with the SB66 and the SB95’s. Using art, science, and some magic Colorado dust, the Yeti is just dialed. Unlike every other bike I have ever ridden, the front and the back suspensions of the SB95 work as one unit regardless of how easy you are cruise’n or hard you might be railing. The front never disrupts the back and vice versa. Neither the front nor back suspension feels softer/firmer or faster/slower. It always feels like one bike instead of two halves. The brakes don’t feel impacted nor does the pedaling. Everything is just predictable and steady. Sweet! The stock tires, for my kind of riding, are just right. Not fragile light tires, not heavy bomber tires. Goldilocks’ tires. The bike is by far the most comfortable of any I’ve tried. From the comfy seat to the nailed geometry to the carbon bar. I finish rides much less beat up and tired. On my new Yeti, much of the time I just leave the fork and shock on the trail mode--with the “trail adjust” at its softest #1 setting and just ride. But it’s a blast of fresh air to be able to reach down and move the two shocks to Climb or Descend and get a noticeable difference in the bike’s performance if it’s an extended downhill section or a smooth fire road climb. Finally, there is the smaller stuff like cable routing. Spend this kind of stupid money on a bike and the routing should be clean/attractive, easily serviceable and quiet. Except for not thinking through the cable rub of an added dropper (which on this bike should have been included for the price—minus one chili for that) Yeti got the routing right. Yeti got the big stuff and the details right on this bike.

Three-Strong: This one matters. I like the Ripley in many ways but it simply is not built for a heavy rider. I could feel it flexing. I don’t know if it’s the fork, the frame, the wheels, or all of the above. Not flexing like it was going to break, and maybe for some the flex adds to a feeling of liveliness but I prefer a rock solid platform. Make no mistake; the Pivot was also flex free making for an always predictable ride. But the SB95 overall is even stronger. Some of that is no doubt the 34” stanchions on the fork. But also just look at the frame compared to say the Ripley. At the rear of the triangle is a whole lot of carbon fiber and there is “extra” carbon where the seat tube meets the top tube. All this probably adds a few ounces but makes the bike oh so stiff. And don’t even get me started on the press fit bottom bracket issue. I know they can work and even work well but just Google it—creak, creak, creak. The SB has a standard bottom bracket that’s easy to service and no noise.

Least you think everything is all roses in “Pleasantville” my Yeti was delivered with two very deep gouges in the paint. Yeti was not very involved with making it right. Long story short, my superb LBS made good and got it totally sorted out.

For me riding is having fun on EVERY section of the trail and always having confidence in the bike. No bike I have every ridden delivers on this like the SB95 carbon. The other bikes I test rode, and have ridden, always have a weakness or two and sometimes major ones. Not so the 95. Unless you are into racing or more downhill oriented I can’t imagine a better steed.

Favorite Trail:   Tamarancho

Duration Product Used:   15 rides

Purchased At:   Big Swingin'

Similar Products Used:   For those laser focused on one aspect of mountain biking, and 29ers I might recommend a Santa Cruz LT Tallboy carbon for the downhill screamers and for a lightweight whippet that loves to climb maybe the Ripley. And if I raced (or just wanted to always go fast) I’d seriously consider the Pivot 429. For those who seeking not only a jack or all trades but damn close to a master of all trades, and trails, the Yeti is hard, if not impossible, to beat.

Bike Setup:   Stock Race (XT) build with addition of Thompson Dropper and Race Face 22-36 chain rings.

Submitted by PauLCa916

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2014

Strengths:    SB-95C XO1 Climb's great Handles great Great Price.

Weaknesses:    Couldn't find any in the 20 + mile's I demo'd it.

Bottom Line:

Components are top notch- Thomson stem and seat post Easton Havoc Carbon bar's SRAM 1 x 11 Drive train is smooth Fox suspension (FOX 34 120 KASHIMA 15/FOX CTD ADJUST K+ (7.5”X2.0”) is plush/AVID ELIXIR 9 TRAIL Brakes worked very well/Stan's ZTR Crest w/ Maxis were great even though it was set up with tube's and Yeti wouldn't let me lower the PSI.
Climbs very good decend's like your on air.
I'm not a big fan of FS bike's but this bike just might change my mind going to Demo three other Manufacture's this week.

Submitted by Ron hans erez a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2013

Strengths:    Subvention is amazing no need to play with rear shock i ride it most of time wide open , no boobing , you fill that with this bike everything is possible it really depend on you . i ride most of the time on big ring in front 39 . Geometry is very good you are in the middle to need to change front fork i ride it 140 mm

Weaknesses:    nun

Bottom Line:
Great bike new level , after 3 years on Rip 9 and 10 years experience on mountain bikes i still do not believe on my self that i will be so happy and shocked by this bike . i bought this bike after one look at the frame i knew immediately that it is special , i would like mention the wonderful help and service i receive from joyridebikes.co.il . I can say after 10 rides in different areas that this bike sb95 carbon size large is the best bike i ever rode in my life .

Favorite Trail:   ben shemen

Purchased At:   joyride

Similar Products Used:   rip 9 , tallboy LT , reply, The SB 95 CARBON -is one level higher

Bike Setup:   fox talas 110-140 (old fork took from my last bike) , xtr all rest , wheels crank brothers iodine

Submitted by Single Track Mind

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2013

Strengths:    Does it all. Very efficient climbing, ripper on the down hill. Frame is stiff and delivers immediate power to the ground. Suspension is supple but doesn't seem to suck any pedal force - actually increases traction. Down hill, so fun it makes me laugh out loud. Amazing how fast this thing is going through lines my 26" Stumpy had to navigate. This bike continues to impress me every time I take it out.

Weaknesses:    None so far. Awesome.

Bottom Line:
Killer. Best bike I have every owned. Little spendy but worth it. Fun stuff.

Submitted by FIKO a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2013

Strengths:    XT KIT, LOOKS, CARBON FIBER, STIFFNESS, TRACTION

Weaknesses:    Rims feel flexy, Rear tire (IKON) No dropper post.

Bottom Line:
Very stable at speeds and extremely flick able. This bike increases your confidence and gives the placebo effect on your ability to RIP singletrack. Coming from a Enduro 04, the so call clown wheels do not feel heavy or slow to pedal. Jumping continues to be fun. Climbing ability of the bike is awesome with minimal pedal bob. On really steep climbs the front end fells light, but manageable. The medium size feels perfect. I am 5'7' and it feels like my MED enduro. The longer wheelbase is not an issue on tight switchbacks. The CTD system works great, specially on the descend mode. Still playing with settings. Maintains and carries speed and momentum over most terrain. The rear IKON needs to go. Tried the front Ardent (2.4) on the back and it fits with no rubbing. The rear tire will be the 1st upgrade. Wish they had a XS for the wife. This is my first high end bike and I am very pleased with the quality and craftsmanship of the bike. YETI did an excellent job.

Favorite Trail:   Any trail with fast singletrack, no hickers