Trek Superfly 100 AL 29er Full Suspension

4.27/5 (11 Reviews)

It's the no-compromise choice: Full suspension technical performance, with the flat-out speed and efficiency of 29" wheels.

Submitted by JHT a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2013

Strengths:    Price, lock-out is excellent on rear shock, climbing and handling.

Weaknesses:    Tires, tires and tires. Avid brakes should not have been spec'd on a bike at this price. Chain drops all the time even after several mechanics at several shops have attempted to remedy the issue.

Bottom Line:
I'm no one special but I have raced on a Trek since 1987. Glad I could find a bike a this price, with dual suspension and an XC orientation. I am lucky to live in Missoula and ride great trails every night in the Summer. This bikes running gear can't take it. The brakes are absolute crap. Need to be bleed constantly, just plain suck at stopping the bike and should not have been spec'd on a bike that is to be ridden hard daily. Can't keep the chain on the bike. Shop says, long chain-stays, 3-rings up front and a 10 speed chain and cassette combine into a bike that it is extremely hard not too drop a chain several times on each ride. If they can't spec a bike over $2k that doesn't stand up to hard daily ridding, I need to look at other brands. Bike itself is fantastic! Running gear is crap! Buy the Elite!

Submitted by Erik

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2013

Strengths:    To start off I purchased the Elite Al, so the set up is a little different. I test rode a lot of bikes at the demos from Scott, Specialized and Trek. Trek got it right. The head tube angle to the longer rear triangle makes for quick steering ,a rear end that tracks well and just an overall responsive smooth ride. I read people are complaining about the tires-they ride very well on rocky, sandy and hard pack. Only problem is they love to fling sand and fine dirt at you and the chain drive, but as much as I ride they will be wore out soon.

Weaknesses:    I really only find one weakness in the bike's set up and that's the stem. It is a little flimsy but that's any easy fix. Probably change to Easton.

Bottom Line:
Overall a fast-sure footed bike. I still can't believe it's a 29er. Get the Superfly and get on board the best XC 29er. Thank you Trek for another stellar bike.

Submitted by vack

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2013

Strengths:    Climbs surprisingly well, the CTD is pretty good, looks good, is faster than I thought

Weaknesses:    Tires are terrible, took me a while to set it up right for me.

Bottom Line:
So this is my first FS bike since my Intense 5.5, which I loved. But went the 29er route in HT fashion 5 years ago. This year I picked up this bike as a back up to my Lynskey. I have to say, at first I really did not like it at all. Cockpit was short, I had to buy a new Seat Post, and new Stem right away, and it was just a pain to get right for me. Even Cased it in a rock garden and smashed my brake lever completely. Now I have one SLX and one XT brake handle. So anyway, I almost took it back and or sold it for the Giant, or the Cannondale. However, I tried one last time to get it right. This time I put more air in the rear shock and less in the font, about 10psi more in the back and 5 psi less in the front. (This is off the numbers I cam up with using the Fox Set up App) Put a couple more clicks into rebound and tried it out. Well whether I got lucky (probably) or actually subliminally knew what I was doing, it worked. With the Thompson Lay back and the longer 110 stem, it fit and road quite nicely. I'm really happy with it now, still not as good as the Lynskey, fit wise, but this is a much better bike for rough terrain, and that is where I use it. However I will say that it's a shame that I spent 2700 bucks on this bike (I have the 100AL Elite, not listed in the review section) that the tires that come on it are just plain junk. Not so much for grip, as they did ok at best with that, but if you live in a rocky rooty area like I do, (western PA) these tires will fail. I have 48 miles on this bike, all single track trails, and my rear tire sidewall is shredded. Chords are showing already, and one failed on my tonight....luckily Stan's seemed to stop the leak enough for me to get back to my Jeep. So yeah, it's a good bike, just be patient with it, and for the love of singletrack TREK, make some better tires.....jeez.

Submitted by iowinos a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2013

Strengths:    Everyone touts some kind of unique geometry, but the G2 concept is perfect for my style. ABP suspension tech seems to work great. Overall parts spec is very capable and reliable (nothing flashy but it works). Value: compared to other offerings at same price point, this bike stood out (through axle fork, faux through axle rear, PF30bb). Rides like a bike with more travel. Wheels come tubeless ready.

Weaknesses:    Tires: they roll fast, but if you ride terrain that warrants full suspension, these won't cut it on an everyday basis. Swapped over to some Nevegals and the bike is much more capable. I'm not a huge fan of 3x10 gearing (so many redundant gears) - would have preferred a 2x10 setup for some more clearance. There are tons of Bontrager parts but for whatever reason I've never had problems with in-house Trek gear.

Bottom Line:
Overall, there is a lot of bike for the money here. Obviously this is the lowest end price point for the Superfly 100 but it's a very capable machine out of the box. I love to upgrade but so far nothing has gone wrong to warrant swapping (aside from the wimpy tires). Trek is really coming to bat with high quality, reliable designs at value-oriented price spec. Never thought I'd say that about a Trek.

Favorite Trail:   Swope Park

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Bike America

Similar Products Used:   Jamis Dragon

Bike Setup:   Stock + Kenda Nevegal tires

Submitted by neville koen

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2012

Strengths:    Bought my Superfly November 2011, love it. I had a 26 er previously and now no comparison. I am a hacker however the bike allways inspires me to feel like a proffessional. Gears smooth, enjoy the ease of managing the suspension set up and strong resposive breaks. Fast and easily rolls over obsticles. All in all love my Superfly and doubt I will ever reach its full potential and may yet take it to my grave!

Weaknesses:    Tyres wash out on sand, changed them and now better response and grip. Shortened the handlebars by 3cm either side and added padded grips, now more comfortable. Have to concentrate not to experiance pedal knock. When I remove and replace drinks bottle have to avoid bumping the rear shock lock out.

Bottom Line:
Would not hesitate to recommend a 29er and a Trek Superfly!

Submitted by david lugo a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2012

Strengths:    29inch wheels offcourse it climbs over anything easy to control going uphill with the 105mm stem loved the lockout that's are also great steering is good with smaller stem offcourss it be better but its a niner I got video on youtube about bike if u want to check it out

Weaknesses:    Tires it comes with not for climbing u need some fr3 tires which are great other then that not bad

Bottom Line:
29er way to go I change mines to 2*10 I had 26er and there's no comparison its way faster and it climb way better with 29inch wheels offcourse I made hills I couldn't make with 26er I loved this bike

Favorite Trail:   wissy

Purchased At:   bike shop philly

Submitted by Mark

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2012

Strengths:    Fast, stiff, responsive, braking.

Weaknesses:    Tires, twitchy front end

Bottom Line:
I came from riding a Rocky Mountain Pipeline for 13 yrs so going fast in technical stuff was pretty easy. First time out I could feel just how much faster this bike could go on hills and flats. It irons out small rocks and roots better than my 26er. The one thing that I had an issue with on my first ride was mid speed technical and sand. With the tires rock hard from the shop and being a hard pack XC tire they did not hold well when facing sand and mid size technical (rocks). The front end felt twitchy but I think that is because the front end feel is much different than my old bike with a slack head tube angle and a heavier front end. I can hammer faster on my 26 in the really technical stuff. That said I adjusted the tire pressure from 40 to 35, took some air out of the front and rear shock and move the seat 1/2 inch. My second ride felt much better but I'm still in the getting to know my new bike phase.

I timed myself on a section of trail I've ridden for 15yrs. My best time is 14:37 but on the Superfly 100 AL I made it in 12:38. I was really surprised how much faster this bike is versus my old pipeline. Bike fits a rider looking to improve time on local mixed technical XC trails.

Submitted by Wayne Philbert a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2012

Strengths:    The speed. I was instantly faster on this bike. When I first collected it I was a little put off by the dimensions. First 29'er so that's to be expected.
Felt so comfortable on it. I ordered 21" as I'm 193cm and 95kg. Felt like I could really use my size for a change.
Rolls really easily over roots and single trail.
Fox front suspension is smooth and plush. No complaints on set up or adjustability. Rear took a little longer but have that set now and it works with enough travel for my needs. Doesn't bottom out so again all good.

Pro pedal is nice, doesn't remove all pedal bob on extreme acceleration but does on climbs.
Handles tightly, communicative too so you know when it might wash out.
SLX brakes are excellent, tried avid and these for me are much better, and no noise either. Really wide bars on it too which I love.
It climbs, do easily and really well. Once you get this thing rolling, it is on.
Gear ratios are good. Came with 3x10 and seems to have a decent range too. Slick changes on SLX with XT rear mech. No complaints and really happy.

Geo is tight. Feels ready to race and is just so nimble.

I have the AL100 Elite and so love the colour scheme. White + Red is very easy on the eye.
Tyres are good, but only in the dry... Read below.

Weaknesses:    Expect pedal strikes if you're not concentrating. Happens to most I'm sure but takes thinking to avoid it.
The stock tyres in the wet are not great, you'll slide about a fair bit. Easily fixed and they are really fast in the dry but you do need to consider this if you're going out in the wet.

Switchbacks. You need to be aware of the physics at play here. If you're climbing and encounter one then use momentum, because the moment it goes it take more effort to get a 29er moving again. They must all be like that so it isn't something I mark the Superfly down on.

Grips - too narrow. Give nice control but hands can ache a bit after a long ride with them.

Bottom Line:
Love this bike, tried Specialised but needed to spend a lot more to be as happy. Would recommend to everyone to give it a try.
It's fast, nimble, plush, good looking and well specified. Not cheap I know but that's life.
Had a minor paint issue with the frame and Trek swapped the frame element out, no drama. Gives you confidence they'll look after me.

Favorite Trail:   Lysterfield VIC

Purchased At:   Rapido Essendon

Submitted by HotRodTodd a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2012

Strengths:    The frame and custom valved rear shock. The component selection works well together.

Weaknesses:    Wheels are heavy, grips, saddle, the stock brakes lack modulation, and are noisy.

Bottom Line:
The geometrey is spot on. The suspension is lively and smooth. I leave the suspension open all the time, and notice no pedal bob when climbing seated. At 190 lbs. I tend to climb seated. I only stand when the technical nature of the trail requires it. This is a race bike that doesn't know it's an awesome trail bike. The suspension gobbles up rock gardens, and stays active even under hard/panic braking.

Favorite Trail:   Anything @ Greensfelder in St. louis

Price Paid:    $1984.00

Purchased At:   A-1 Bicyles Sales

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Camber 29, and epic 29, Trek Rumblefish, and several 29er hardtails including my 2010 Kona King Kahuna

Bike Setup:   Stock except. Stans ztr 355's, ergon gx1 grips, and an older no longer in production Bontrager saddle

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2012

Strengths:    I would have to say I am extremly happy with my Trek. I can see a greater improvment with the up hill climbs and the smooth decents are a blast. I dont think I will go back to a hardtail after using this full suspesion. I am at 270 lbs, 5'8" and so far this bike has been able to handle the extra weight like a tropper.

Weaknesses:    other than ordering the wrong size, I should have taken the smaller 15 due instead of the 17 for fit size. I think the the hand grips need to be a little thicker to decrease the numbness to hands but no other issues.

Bottom Line:
Over all this is a great bike for the money. I am not a racer but I love the cross country rides and I am loving the rides no matter how hard it is.

Favorite Trail:   Trail 100

Purchased At:   SouthWest Bikes

Submitted by Grant a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2012

Strengths:    Great set up, fox forks and rear shock. Rides up hill like a dream and rolls down the other side scarely fast. Can replace the rear axle with any type of axle from a 135mmx9mm through to 142mmx12mm.

Weaknesses:    Gears and shifters are Sram X7.

Bottom Line:
Love this bike and I now love 29ers, I will never go back to a 26er. The bike is huge but fits like a glove. I am 100kg (225lbs) and 180cm tall and this bike does not feel under any stress from my size.

Rides like a dream and very good value for money. Up graded to SLX shifters and XT deraillers for $220nz from Chainreactioncycles, made a very good bike an extremely good bike. Also put my Elixer 5's on it with some bigger rotors to stop me.

Favorite Trail:   Split Enz, Rotorua, New Zealand

Purchased At:   Evolution Cycles, Ha

Bike Setup:   SLX shifters, XT deraillers, Elixer 5's with larger rotors. Everything else standard.

Opinions on Superfly 100 AL or Scott Genius 940 purchase.

Ok guys I have narrow down my bike purchase to these 2 bikes. They are both right at about 2k give or take. I really don't need the travel of the Genius 940 but I like the shimano group it comes with. I have never ridden it either on the trail. I have ridden and like the superfly elite on the tr ... Read More »

My new Trek superfly 100 Al elite

Well about a month ago I got a Trek Marlin and was considering upgrading the the fork and some other forks but this past Friday I went by the trek store and traded it in for a whole new bike lol. I got the Superfly 100 AL elite. I really like this bike and I think it will do what I want to do. The M ... Read More »

Thoughts on the superfly 100 al elite/pro?

Just wondering what those of you that have either of these have to say about them. I'm real close to pulling the trigger and would like to hear from those that have put a few miles on them.Read More »

Superfly 100 AL or SCALPEL 29ER ? New-ish.

I need a little help. I am getting back into mountain biking after 11 years. I really like full-suspension. I have found 2 bikes I like and there are deals on both of them. I need help with that one is the better bike / deal. I can get the SCALPEL 29ER 4 for $1800 or I could get the Superfly 1 ... Read More »

Superfly 100 AL Elite Single pivot?

Is the Superfly considered Single Pivot?Read More »