Trek Rumblefish Pro 29er Full Suspension

4.2/5 (5 Reviews)

Rumblefish pairs 29er momentum with the mojo of 120mm front and rear DRCV travel. It's a match made in big-wheel heaven, adding up to a do-it-all full suspension 29er trail bike.

• Fox Factory Series fork w/Kashima
  • Rockshox Reverb dropper post
  • Bontrager Rhythm Elite wheels
  • Shimano XT drivetrain
  • Shimano XT brakes

Submitted by JD a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2014

Strengths:    -Plush ride
-components (X0, X9, Avid elixir 9)
-DRCV fork and rear suspension
-climbing, cornering, handling

Weaknesses:    -weight
-chain jumps cassette/chainring during aggressive gear shifting (2x10)

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Trek Rumblefish 2011 Showbike. When I purchased this bike it weight just above 28#. Components were upgraded (X0 rear/front derailleur, X9 shifters, 2012 Fox Fork, Avid elixir 9, 2X10 SRAM Drivetrain).

I ride San Diego trails and have been impressed with this bike. For a 29er it is quite agile and controllable. However, this took some getting used to since this is my first 29er. Definitely an adjustment, but after acclimating to the change in geometry my speed began to slowly increase. Had a 2011 Remedy 7 prior to this. The Rumblefish climbs very well (Bontrager XR4 Team Issue) and provides a very comfortable downhill with the DRCV fork and rear suspensions. It is true what they say about 29ers and their ability to roll over just about everything, but they don't emphasize enough on the wheel's ability to maintain solid contact with the ground. Very fun bike to ride in almost all conditions.

Favorite Trail:   Los Penasquitos Canyon

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   Trek

Similar Products Used:   Trek Remedy 7, Fuel EX 5

Bike Setup:   2011 Rumblefish frame, X0 derailleurs, X9 Shifters, Avid Elixir 9 Brakes, Bontrager Elite Wheels, XR4 Team Issue Tires, Evoke Saddle, DRCV Fork (2012) and Rear, Bontrager x-lite handlebars and seatpost.

Submitted by rlemmon a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2013

Strengths:    - Built like a tank
- Love the geometry
- Shimano XT components. The brakes could stop my wife's SUV and are nearly silent
- Reverb dropper post
- Available in XXL
- Rolls over everything, the bike feels unstoppable and inspires confidence
- Great suspension - DRCV works nice
- Love the paint

Weaknesses:    - DRCV setup is a pain
- No internal cable routing

Bottom Line:
After some significant weight loss, I was really pumped up into getting back into MTBing. Only problem was that my 13 year old Trek hardtail was on the verge of death. I demoed 6 different bikes before settling on the Rumblefish. The fit and value sealed the deal for me. I got a pretty solid deal on it since it was about to be replaced by the Fuel 29.

So far I've put about 200 miles on the bike, 95% off road. The Shimano XT components continue to amaze me. The shifting is super smooth and precise, and I am still floored by the brakes. They bring all 6'6", 260 lbs of me to a stop with a single finger, never, ever fade and are completely silent (unlike the damned noisy Avids on the high end Niners I rode in Fruita). The suspension is plenty for the trails I ride, and can even cut it on a lot of the DH trails up in Winter Park. If it's ever bottomed out, I haven't felt it. The bike comes in at 30.5 pounds, including dropper post and no pedals. For an XXL/23" bike I thought this was pretty decent.

Downsides? The DRCV works great, but it's a pain to set up. At my weight, I have to set the rear shock to 280 PSI. This makes it pretty hard to cycle to 50% without taking it off a few curbs. Also, I've already got a good amount to cable rub - internal routing would have been nice, especially for the seatpost.

Last, I'll talk about value. I think it stands up very favorably compared to bikes with similar components. I was looking at a Niner RIP 9, and with similar components, plus a dropper post, it would have cost at least another $800. That being said, I could have bought the RF Elite for $1000 less, spent $300 or so on the dropper post, and had 90% of the Pro. The SLX components on the Elite were pretty great.

Would I buy it again? Absolutely! Any issues I've had with the bike are not a big deal. I love the bike and hope to be riding it a lot in the years to come.

Favorite Trail:   18 Road

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Purchased At:   Wheat Ridge Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Niner RIP 9 RDO, Trek Superfly 100 AL Elite.

Submitted by Zachariah a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2013

Strengths:    ~ 120mm of PLUSH travel, F/R
~ Rock Shox Reverb dropper post
~ Bontrager Evoke 2 saddle(finally!)
~ Shimano XT group, especially the XT brakes....simply sweet
~ Near-perfect G2 trail geometry
~ Stiff 15mm front axle and 142x12mm rear
~ ABP pivot works to prevent rear tire skids, under heavy braking

Weaknesses:    ~ Weight, even a Small(15.5") weighed a porky 28 pounds
~ Low bottom bracket

Bottom Line:
This year's Rumblefish Pro increases travel to a super-plush,120mm. The Fox DCRV suspension now employs two damping chambers in the fork, which accounts for that "bottomless," cloud-like feeling - while blasting through fast singletrack....it's confidence-inspiring. The bike handles like a 26" bike with 6+ inches of coiled, Freeride travel. Fisher originally placed the rear wheel closer to the bottom bracket, by connecting the seat tube directly to the down tube, without affecting climbing geometry or descending ability.

Combined with wide 700mm+ bars and a short stem - this bike MAKES you push it faster downhill. Don't even bother using the excellent brakes, unless its to save your own ass...really the ONLY time you'll need them. The newfound comfort of the stock Bontrager Evoke 2 saddle is simply the result of LISTENING to riders like us; with a new wider and flat seating platform...this Bontrager saddle is finally something worth keeping! The Rumblefish turns baby head rock gardens into frozen peas and carrots now. In fact, you'll find yourself looking for more trail chunk, just to see what it can handle. Like all 29ers - the Rumblefish also spins up fast and stays fast, with minimal effort.

Climbing is not that bad - thanks to a Shimano 3x10 setup. However, extended climbs will definitely push your pain threshold.....its all good. If you want a do-it-all, go-anywhere trail bike - the Rumblefish offers more bang for the buck than:

~ Specialized Stumpjumper EVO
~ Yeti SB-95
~ Cannondale Rize 120
~ Rocky Mountain 950

Favorite Trail:   Art Smith

Duration Product Used:   one year

Purchased At:   My LBS

Similar Products Used:   I ride them ALL; Specialized, Scott, Cannondale, Yeti, Kona, Intense, BMC, Trek, Knolly, Canfield Bros., On-One, Salsa, etc.

Bike Setup:   2013 Rumblefish Pro - Upgraded to full XTR M985 2 x 10, XTR brakes, NoTubes ArchEX/American Classic wheelset, full Easton Haven carbon cockpit....equals a 25-pound, all-day Epic/Endurance/Trail bike

Submitted by James a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2013

Strengths:    -Good component spec
-Well balanced suspension
-Through axle wheels
-Playful bike

Weaknesses:    Set back cockpit
RP-23 shock
Crank bros dropper post

Bottom Line:
Review of a 2012 Rumblefish Pro: This is my second 29er, and supplements my Salsa Mamasita hard tail. I really wanted a dually 29er and just stumbled on this bike at my LBS. I am 6' 3 and got a 21" frame, the fit is good and I like the wide handle bars. My only fit issue would be the G2 geometry, which seems to be coming back to more normal bike geometry. The set back feels about 1-2 cm more than I am used to. The front end gets light on steep climbs but seems to aid in general handling and makes the bike very playable. Standing on the pedals I feel very centered.
My criticisms for this bike are really not Treks fault. I find the RP-23 to be a good shock with good dampening but switching between the 3 settings I can barely tell the difference. I just keep it in the middle and set the rebound dampening with the dial a little on the fast side.
It climbs well, not much bob and certainly no frame flex.
It descends really well, you can pretty much point and shoot this bike through very gnarly terrain.
I am very pleased with the component spec on the 2012 model, a full XT gruppo with an XTR rear derailure, good quality wheels, awesome meaty tires, lock on grips, wide handle bars etc... My bike came with a crank bros dropper post that was added by the seller, the post lasted about 5 rides and then stopped working correctly. So I put a zero set back Thompson seat post on and frankly don't miss not having a dropper post.
One of the biggest differences between this bike and my Salsa is the wheel and suspension stiffness. The trek has front and rear through axle connections and an awesome Fox front fork. I really feel the extra stiffness and reduced flex through the steering. If anybody gets anything out of this review, get through axle connections on your next bike, it makes a HUGE difference on a 29er.

Bottom line: I really enjoy riding this bike, it is really fun to ride and I would 100% recommend to anyone who is looking for a dually 29er to seriously consider this bike.

Favorite Trail:   That one over there...

Similar Products Used:   Salsa Mamasita 2er with XT and Reba 100mm fork, Spedialized FSR

Bike Setup:   Stock except thompson seat post

Submitted by Blair a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2013

Strengths:    Moved to 29er to try from trek remedy. I can ride anything the remedy could and my concern of moving to a 29er and loosing the playablity that I liked, I needn't have worried. Climbs anything my legs are capable of and rides so fast down technical narrow single track with confidence. You flon when your mates you. Used the the trek suspension guide on the website and made Abigail difference.

Weaknesses:    Would have been nice with internal cabling for sear post, but I'm being picky. Also always liked full length cabelling for rear derailiuer, made. Massive difference to my previous remedy.

Bottom Line:
I like the fact that the trek label isn't in your face and no one knows what sort of bike it is unless they take a close look. Love the clutch derailleur , so quiet. Bunny hop, manual , jump, Bike I'm really proud of, wife know's I'm pretty stoked.

Favorite Trail:   No brains , rotorua