Trek Rumblefish I 29er Full Suspension

4.5/5 (4 Reviews)

The next step for 29er fans looking to tackle more technical terrain, or 26" trail riders ready to trade up to bigger wheels. Upgrades from Rumblefish:

• 142mm x 12mm rear thru axle
  • Bontrager Rhythm FCC MTB wheels
  • Shimano SLX drivetrain

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Element36 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2012

Strengths:    2012 RF Elite - Suspension - like the ride, really feels bottomless, Brakes - good stopping power, pads have lasted all season. Tires - stock tubeless, good grip, and ride. Drive Train - awsome shifting.

Weaknesses:    Seat - bad for me.. switched out. Tires - loud on road and harder to pedal. Rear Rythem Elite hub - bad bearings, in for warranty, same for crank,, left bearing feeling crunchy. Been dry around here this year.. so figure it must be factory defect..

Bottom Line:
    Perfect bike to go 29er, better obsticle clearence, FS & 29er wheels really smooth out the trail. which is good and bad. After 4 months I go faster and push harder.. which lead to a few good wipeouts..Steep rocky downhill sections lead to going over the bars.. as the DRCV forks compresssed all the way as front wheel got hung up. It was either get protection or a dropper post.. choose the Kronolog... no more wipe outs and a lot more fun. Everytime I put the o ring on the shocks to zero... I am surprised how much travel I actually use...front and back.. DRCV realls works. Climbing seemed harder at first... Coming from 20/36 w/26" wheels the 22/36 w/29" felt alot harder gearing to climb in. Now I find myself climbing everything but the steepest climbs in 32/32 or 32/28. I am sure that has to do with the speed at which I am hitting the hills, and the climbing of the RF. I rarely swith to "propedal" climbing, unless getting tired and on a long paved climb. I find even when standing on the trail it feels tied to he trail. I am thinking of trying some Schwalbe Racing Ralphs..but for now I am liking the Bonty 24-4's.

Favorite Trail:   HeadWaters/ and Singletrack.

Duration Product Used:   4 Months

Similar Products Used:   2009 GT Agressor - Killed in a year.
    2009 Kone Caldera - 2years, 4 complete drive trains, 3 free hubs, 10 sets of brake pads.

Bike Setup:   Stock + Specialized seat + Kronolog

Submitted by zerogravity a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2012

Strengths:    More travel than the Hi-Fi and Superfly 100 which means able to take more of a beating. Meant for Beefier riders who love a good descent. Great climber for bot sitting and standing. Easily tuneable to rider's liking. It gets better each time i ride it.

Weaknesses:    Bottom shock screw has a tendancy to come loose, even with thread lock and properly torqued. Tires...the 29-3's just do not give it the low and high speed grip to make the bike AMAZING. The 2012 version comes with the 29-4's and they do the job.

Bottom Line:
    This bike is the best bike i have ever owned. Off the bat, i upgraded the stock Brakes(Elizer5) to SLX and the stock crank(Deore) to SLX Dyna Sys Crank. I just wanted the whole system to be SLX. I also upgraded to the Bonty 29-4's and Rhythm Pro 29er Wheels.
    With the rest of the set up, the bike is a pleasure to ride. Being it was my first Full Suspension bike, off the bat it is a fast climber and killer on the descents. I have ridden the Giant ReignX, Giant Trance, and the Pivot 429..with this bike being the one i loved them most out of the 3 i tested. It just felt right. I have started tweaking the fitment and response of the bike by first getting the Bonty Rhythm Pro 750mm Carbon bars. It made the bike really stable, but a little less responsive. I then replaced the 90mm stem with a 70mm stem which improved it, but still wanted more response out of the steering so i went back and put the stock 690mm bars with the 70mm stem and it was very responsive after that. I still felt the bars were not wide enough(having pretty wide shoulders) i put the 750mm bars back and added a 50mm stem and that is what did it. Now, the bike handles awesome and is much easier on descents and doing drops and rollers.. you can see more of the front tire with out psyching yourself out. You have to bend over a little more for climbs when seated, but it's ok..the downhills more than makes up for it. BTW, if you want to get the most out of your riding, i recommend a dropper post 100%!!!. I use the Crank Brothers Kronolog and LOVE IT!!! I would have given this and overall of 5 chilis but the stock tires are just horrible and had to upgrade some of the stock parts to the specs i wanted.

Favorite Trail:   Fullerton Loop

Purchased At:   Jax Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Hi-Fi Delux, Fuel EX8

Bike Setup:   Shimano SLX Brakes, Shifters, Dreailers, Crank, and Cassette, XT SPD Pedals
    Bontrager Rhythm Pro 750mm Bar, Bontrager Big Earl 50mm Stem, Carbon Stem Spacers, Rhytym Pro 29 Wheels, and 29-4 Tublesss Tires
    Odi Rogue Grips
    Crank Brothers Kronolog Dropper Post

Submitted by Darren a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2012

Strengths:    •Uphill - I thought the extra weight of the rear suspension and larger tires would make my climbs more difficult (compared to the hard tail). Not so. I can stay in the saddle for nearly any climb and assuming I don't do something stupid, I never spin out or stop. Now, I just cruise up climbs I spun out on in the past when riding with the hardtail. I just shake my head in disbelief.
    •Downhill - Without question the coolest riding experience ever. I am giddy after some rides. Can't imagine a more fun riding experience. I just open it up and fly through.
    •Frame - The geometry of the Rumblefish is a big key. Whether climbing or descending I feel like I'm in the right position all the time. When I tested bikes before buying the Rumblefish I noticed how well its geometry worked for me compared to other bikes. I don't know if it's the body size to frame size ratio or what but it just feels right.
    •Components - While they are middle of the road in some cases, the specs are reasonable and reliable. I have had some issues with chain movement but the dealer has been very responsive in tuning and repairing as the cables stretch.
    •Suspension - Be sure to tune both sets of suspension for your weight. Once I got mine dialed in I barely notice when I hit obstacles, etc. I reserve my energy for longer more intense rides instead of protecting against bounces and jarring obstacles.
    •Brakes - Great stopping power.
    •Tires - I've seen a ton of reviews where this is listed as a con. However, while they're not the best, I've found them very sufficient. I think what happens is the dealer has his choice of rubber to apply. I've seen the same bike with crappy stock tires at different dealers. When buying, I'd stick it to the dealer to swap the tires out if they look weak.

Weaknesses:    •Design - Very small issue: I can live with the white and black but not the best design. Could even become a pro because it is less of a theft issue. :)
    •Super Technical Riding - The larger tires require a little more work in very technical riding. I don't notice any issues in most scenarios but if there are a number of abrupt turns or manuveurs in a very short distance, I have to decrease speed more than I would on a 26er and it requires a bit more effort to build momentum after each. The bike is funnest when you can maintain the momentum.
    •Maintenance - As a preface, my hard tail was a tank and in 10+ years did very little maintenance. In 4 months I've had this bike into the shop twice to tune up the derailuers. Supposedly the cables have stretched causing the chain to make noise and skip. They also changed the small cassette ring because I use it a lot when descending. I hope ongoing maintenance isn't a long term issue.

Bottom Line:
    In my opinion, the Rumblefish frame and bike is perfect for a little bigger rider. The wheels/tires are noticeably larger but when the rider's body mass compensates the larger wheel base is very welcome. I'd say that for someone between 6'0 and 6'6 the frame sizes 21 and 23 work perfect. I'm on the 21 and it is just right. The effective frame and bike size of the 23 is less than an inch for the top tube. I don't seem to miss the fraction of an inch at my height.

The bike also works well for moderate downhillers or riders who don't want to feel the pain of the trail. For the price, you'll want to be a pretty avid rider to get the use out of it.

For the avid rider who craves downhill yet wants efficiency in climbing the Rumblefish gets it done and is a blast to ride. Its value/price can be justified, especially when buying a previous year's model or used after the depreciation event of driving it off the lot. I strongly recommend the bike.

Full review: http://cycling.activeoutdoorslife.com/posts/explore/trek-rumblefish-bike-review.html

Favorite Trail:   Alpine Loop near Provo - Tibble Fork or Cascade Springs - Depends on mood.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Mad Dog Cycles Provo

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from Hemet, CA

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2011

Strengths:    Very stable, rolls over anything, point-n-shoot downhill, climbs like a mountain goat

Weaknesses:    Rims might be a little flimsy (but I am a Clydesdale rider at 210 lbs, 6'1" tall), the tires are "okay"

Bottom Line:
    Fan-friggen-tastic bike! I have been mountain biking since 1986 and this is the first bike that performs and feels like what I have always imagined a mountain bike should perform and feel like! It climbs trees and descends cliffs almost as if it's on autopilot. From what I've heard, 29ers have a sluggish feel. However, with this bike, I don't notice it. So, it must be the voo-doo magic of Genesis geometry because it doesn't feel any more or less "snappy" as my 26" mountain bikes. I'm thinking that 29ers are the future of all mountain bikes and this model is the razor's edge to that future.

Purchased At:   Casino Bikes, Hemet

Similar Products Used:   This is my first 29er, but have ridden the helk out of my Jamis Dakar 2005 XLT, my Giant VT2, my KHS softail, and several other mountain bikes that are older than dirt now.

Bike Setup:   stock, have replaced the tires with Kenda Nevegals.

Small ding on downtube of Rumblefish should I be concerned?

Small ding on downtube of Rumblefish should I be concerned? The past few weeks I have had way too many rocks kick up and hit my down tube on my Rumblefish. One took some paint off down to the bare aluminum and it looks like it might have put a very shallow ding on the downtube by the BB. What d ... Read More »

2010 Rumblefish I Seat Clamp Size

Good evening all, quick question, I have a 2010 Rumblefish I, and was curious if anyone knew its seat clamp size. Inner is 31.6 I believe? Is the outer a 36.4? Thank you in advance! :)Read More »

2011 Rumblefish I v. 2011 Stumpjumper FSR COMP

Quick question for a buddy of mine. Assuming equal prices of around 2500----which would you go with? He has ridden both and likes both. Thanks.Read More »

Bashguard - Gary Fisher Rumblefish I

I posted this in the GF forum as well, probably will get a quicker response here... I ordered a BBG Bashguard to replace the 44t ring. I plan to try keeping the 32t middle ring. If I decide i need to increase the size of the middle ring to 36t, will i have to replace the front derailleur? the ... Read More »