Trek Rumblefish Elite 29er Full Suspension

4.2/5 (5 Reviews)

Rumblefish pairs 29er momentum with the mojo of 120mm front and rear DRCV travel. It's a match made in big-wheel heaven, adding up to a do-it-all full suspension 29er trail bike.

• Fox Evolution Series DRCV fork
  • Shimano SLX front derailleur
  • Shimano Deore XT rear derailleur
  • Shimano SLX shifters
  • Shimano SLX brakes

Submitted by gmk a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2016

Strengths:    the kinematic/rear end construction and the damper

a good alloy frame and yes, the weldseams are on other frames better

Weaknesses:    the configuration of the bike
the wheelset is a j..e
XT-brakes and complete XT-shifting would clarify the price of the bike
but they aren´t on it
the fork, isn´t stiff enough .

Bottom Line:

i own the bike since may 2012

i´m happy with it.
works really well but i upgraded the front suspension to 140-150mm (beside many other parts) ...
ok the seattube angle could be better now but it isn´t a problem when you pedal uphill

i ride primarily single trails, sometimes steep stuff downhill,
sometimes technical, sometimes little jumps (max. 1/2 metre high - europe metrics)
alloumtain if you wanna but it in this MTB riding mode

average tours 20-60 km depending how much time i have
also in winter

good suspension - fox/trek DRCV damper
similar to a coil spring damper
maybe i buy in the near future a rockshox debonair (available from the fuel ex 29, should fit in the rumblefish)
to try another fabricate

the advertising description of trek´s ABP (dave weagle calls it splitpivot)
"Our patented Active Braking Pivot allows your suspension to work freely whether you’re on the brakes or off. It’s smooth, controlled suspension that’s at its best all the time."
is not really so good workin´ ... don´t get me wrong
it´s stiff and reliable
but
if you brake the damper doesn´t work so well like it´s descriped in the text above or in this video

but it´s not so negative when you ride the trail real fast
and that´s one of the advantages of the bike
the good working kinematic of the bike in relation with the damper takes every obstacle
and makes you smile !

i often thought about an upgrade to the fuel ex 29
but why? is it really stiffer (shorter seattubestays) ?
in my opinion: NO
is the trek full floater in combination with ABP, DRCV or Monarch RT3 debonair damper better ?
in my opinion: YES, a little bit
but
it´s really good reliable bike
(much better than many other i had in the past)

the weakness of the bike is the fork
the drcv damper in it is also working well but when it get´s steep it blows through the stroke a bit
and you have not enough travel or call it: rollover effect/feeling
a good low speed compression would help
i made a testride with the pro model and the RLC fox on it works better
it´s also not so stiff
ok, the manitou tower isn´t also as stiff as the fox 34 (whatelse!) or a rs pike but ...

maybe these are only my personal opinions and efforts of making the rumblefish elite even better

Favorite Trail:   e.g. satzberg trail, vienna, austria

Duration Product Used:   approx. 5000km

Purchased At:   mountainbiker.at

Similar Products Used:   29inch:
i owned the specialized stumpjumper fsr comp 29 2011 & 2012
tested 2 days the niner rip 9 2011 and
santa cruz tallboy c 2011 for a few hours
and many 29er hardtails (also have a kona taro 2013)

Bike Setup:   fox 34 150mm or manitou tower pro (TPC Absolute+ damping) 140mm in 29"
drcv fox, 2nd one (was very cheap on ebay) - 1st needs a service
SSC tesla evo - tactic trail rims custom wheelset 1766grams
complete bike 13.7 kg (fox 34 in 29")

original:
frame, headset, seatpost (no adjustable seatpost, yes), saddle (like it)
upgrades:
maxxis beaver or the bontrager 29-3 expert (front) or the bontrager mud-29
- always tubeless

Submitted by joeworrall a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2013

Strengths:    Solid feel, DCRV suspension, handling

Weaknesses:    stock tires & grips

Bottom Line:
I rented the bike first for a test ride and didn't want to give it back. I have also test ridden the Pivot Mach 429 but didn't feel the added cost was worth it.

It hasn't really improved my times on my regular trail rides, but it has significantly improved my confidence. When a friend with the bike told me about the benefits of the thru axle, I didn't get it until I rode the bike hard - I didn't realize how much the QR axles on my 26er flexed.

I replaced the stock grips before I took the bike out the first time, and had the stock wheels & tires converted to tubeless when I bought the bike. I plan to upgrade to Stan's Flow or Arch when I have beat up the stock Bontrager Duster rims.

I was leery of the Shimano SLX components that came on the bike, but so far they are performing great. I will upgrade to XT or XTR when they fail, but so far, so good. I also plan to install a remote dropper seat post, but that's an upgrade I wouldn't expect on a bike at this price point.

The only negative I have experienced is that I have more pedal strikes with this bike than my 26er, but am told that this is normal for 29ers with this type of geometry, and I am learning how to avoid them...

Favorite Trail:   PMP Trail 100

Purchased At:   Landis Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Pivot Mach 429

Bike Setup:   stock rims converted to tubeless, tires swapped for WTB tubelss

Submitted by morewind

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2013

Strengths:    Fast & Fluid!!

Weaknesses:    Like most 29ers, a few pedal strikes in technical terrain.

Bottom Line:
I was down to this bike or the Giant Trance X 1, I picked the Trek just because of the positioning of the rear shock on the Giant and man am I glad I chose the Rumblefish. I have owned the bike for about 6 rides now and I am on average 15% faster on all of my 1.5+ hour rides. I am finding that I utilized the CTD control on the rear shock a lot and love it. The dual chamber shock system is great! This bike is fast and fun. My only complaint is the rear tire seems to break loose in hard braking, but that's easy fixed with new rubber. This bike flys and it just seems to always want to keep on moving :)

Submitted by Shae

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2013

Strengths:    Smooth ride, plush suspension, corners surprisingly well, great kit, zero unwanted flex anywhere, makes me feel like I am a good mountain biker when I am not, you don't really feel the weight, climbs like a champ

Weaknesses:    paint chips somewhat easily, recommend some sort of paint protection

Bottom Line:
I got mine on sale so the value is great. By far the best bike I have ever owned.

Submitted by SummitSurfer a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2012

Strengths:    The over-all geometry of the bike likes to be written and puts the rider and weight perfectly over the wheels for speedy well balanced cornering, climbing and stable plush descents. While descending the ABP gives you a secure stable feeling of control...thought it was a gimmick at first, but its amazing how plush the braking is while hammering down hill. I'm still trying to feel the shocks DRCV advantages....it just works and I don't know the difference with or without. While it takes a bit to get up to speed on the climbs...it gives it all back in the flats and the descents like riding a LazyBoy recliner! Take some time to play with your shock settings as you can dial in almost any ride preference, style preference. I ended up raising the pressure in the fork and dropping it in the rear shock for a nice ride that likes to get gnarly and aggressive in the descents. Tons of funs stable riding wit da fish!

Weaknesses:    A little heavy at 29-30 pounds, but tubeless and a few weight tweaks and your loving the bike. It made me a better rider, and now I don't feel the difference from my hard tail unless I'm on a LONG climb.

Bottom Line:
Plain and simple it's a great all mountain bike that loves Moabs epic rides AND the Whole Enchilada. If you love the simplistic joys of mtn biking this bike is for you....if your trying to race pro.....then go carbon. Test drive this bike.....you will take it home!
NOTE: I test drove a Pivot Mach 5.7 and well........I think the ride is a little better at half the cost!

Favorite Trail:   Whole enchilada Moab

Duration Product Used:   1 mon

Purchased At:   Colorado

Bike Setup:   As described by manufacture.

CAMELBAK LOW RIDER