Trek Remedy 9 29 29er Full Suspension

Features:
-29er-optimized frame delivers a fast, stable ride
-ABP keeps your suspension active while you’re on the brakes
-DRCV shock gives you smooth, predictable all-terrain control
-G2: a better-handling 29er

Frameset:
Frame Alpha Platinum Aluminum, ABP Convert, Full Floater, E2 tapered head tube, internal derailleur & dropper post routing, press fit BB, ISCG 05 mount, magnesium EVO Link, Mino Link, down tube guard, G2 Geometry, 140mm travel

Front suspension:
Fox Factory Series 34 Float w/CTD (climb-trail-descend) adjustable FIT damper, rebound, E2 tapered steerer, Kashima coating, 15QR thru axle, custom G2 Geometry w/51mm offset, 140mm travel

Rear suspension:
Fox Performance Series Float w/DRCV, CTD (climb-trail-descend) damper, rebound, tuned by Trek in California, 7.75×2.125"

Submitted by Gabriel

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2014

Strengths:    smooth ABP full floater suspension, Flickable design, Rides like a 26" bike, Adjustable rear suspension, great spec from the factory

Weaknesses:    a tad heavy
the touting of the rear derailleur cable rubs when the bike is down in the travel

Bottom Line:
I sold my 2011 Trek Rumblefish to ride this baby. I loved my Rumblefish but felt I needed a bit more travel for my riding style. This is definitely a big step up! The bike corners like a 26" wheeled bike but plows over rocks like a 29" bike. The suspension feels bottomless! I would bottom out the RF on a regular basis but never on this bike. Even with a 1/2lb more weight I got faster on my climbs! The ability to change the height of the BB and head angle with two screws is amazing and the difference can actually be felt. Not to mention the fox suspension climb, trail, descend modes on the front and rear. The combo's are endless however I tend to ride most trails in trail mode.
I was hesitant on the RockShox dropper post but am very happy with the adjustable speed on the switch.
I immediately swapped the heavy stock wheels for a sweet set of industry nine custom wheels and swapped the cross country style bar for an Easton Havoc carbon bar to control the fast moving 29" wheels. I also swapped the XT cranks and rear derailleur for an XTR set to lower weight. With my current build it weighs 31lbs.
It may not be the lightest steed out there but I couldnt be more confident to tackle any trail I ride. By far the nicest Enduro style rig I have ridden.

Submitted by Paul a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2013

Strengths:    Excellent handling characteristics. The fork rides high in its travel until its needed, with minimal brake dive. When the shock is in descend mode, its small bump sensitivity is excellent. When the fork and shock are in climb mode, they're almost locked out. This makes out of the saddle climbing far more palatable. The XT brakes (my LBS swapped the front rotor for a 203 mm) require only one finger, regardless of the situation. As for suspension design, Specialized's Horst link used to be the bench mark, but Trek's ABP is now the holy grail.

I love the polished finish. It's reminiscent of the high-end bikes of the early '90s. The bike is also quiet. No creaks, squeaks, or chain slap. Just the sound of knobbies clawing at the trail.

Weaknesses:    In my opinion, the weaknesses are mostly issues of personal preference. The stock grips were too skinny. My LBS swapped them out for Oury lock-on grips. My butt still isn't crazy about the stock saddle. I actually suspect it's too squishy, which seems to allow the sit bones to roll off the back or side. Another issue is the cable routing around the head tube. It's a bird's nest that catches your knees when climbing out of the saddle; however, a couple well placed zip-ties solved this issue.

Bottom Line:
Coming from an XC racing background, this is my first venture into all mountain riding. I used to scoff at people who rode 30 lb bikes with dropper posts. But now I've "drank the Kool-Aid", and it's good. My 22 lb. race bike now sits in the garage, collecting dust.

This is my first bike where picking a line wasn't really necessary. It'll plow over or through just about anything. In the end, I have a huge smile on my face. How could I not give it five stars?

Favorite Trail:   Exploration Trail

Duration Product Used:   One month.

Specialized Enduro 29 comp SE or Trek Remedy 9 29er

Let's hear you guys! Which bike would you choose as your AM 29er machine? Mo.Read More »